Author Topic: The Sims 4 Big Dreams Dynasty  (Read 26139 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
The Sims 4 Big Dreams Dynasty
« on: November 05, 2021, 06:15:47 AM »
The Sims 4 Big Dreams Dynasty

Goal and a Tribute to Pam
With nearly 700k views, Pam Marsden's Dreamweaver Dynasty has been hands down the most popular Dynasty story. The team loved following Carina Dreamweaver and her descendants, and it was the story of the Dreamweavers that inspired the creation of the Big Dreams Dynasty. Your Founders and heirs will follow their Big Dreams — grand life pursuits much larger than Aspirations and covering multiple life stages. Pam dreamed big and convinced Carl to create this special forum for all of us to call home. Thank you, Pam. Now, do Pam proud and push your Sims to achieve their Big Dreams.

Setting up Your File
  • Always play with the most current EA patch.
  • Required Settings: Auto Age for Played and Unplayed Sims; Autonomy - Full; All other settings are Player's Choice
  • Players may download residential lots from the Gallery (at your own risk) but your Sim must pay for the lot in order to move into it.
  • Players may replace, add, and edit community lots (player-made or Gallery) at any time (Gallery lot use is at your own risk). Downloading stores stocked with collectables or locked items (such as career rewards) is not allowed.
  • If you played the Big Dreams Challenge in the 2021 Tournament, you may continue with your tournament file. You might encounter rule changes or Big Dream requirement changes that impact your current Sims. If that happens, for any Sims already in your household, you may continue with the Challenge rule/requirements or switch to the Dynasty rule/requirements - it is your choice. For any new Sims, follow only the Dynasty rules and requirements.

Allowed Mods/Cheats
The following list of mods and cheats are approved for the Dynasty.
  • Any lighting mods to make indoor lights brighter.
  • Live Mode and Tab Mode Camera Mods - No Drift & Lower Level!
  • CAS Modifiers bugfix: Aging & Randomization.
  • Smaller Censor / Mosaic
  • Daily Save Mod
  • bb.moveobjects on
  • bb.showhiddenobjects cheat and Better Build/Buy: Organized Debug mod - for any items EXCEPT collectibles and items that have a requirement in order to get them in game (e.g., career rewards).
  • Expandable Catalog mod (included in Better Build/Buy:Organized Debug, but also available separately)
  • Build Mode Free Cam mod (included in Better Build/Buy:Organized Debug, but also available separately)
  • Better Exceptions
  • T.O.O.L.
  • Set Filters on Paintings by Reference
  • Carl's Dine Out Reloaded mod
MC Command Center, UI Cheats and other mods with far-reaching gameplay impact are not allowed. If you want to use a mod that is not on this list, please contact the team for approval.

Founders and Additions to the Household
  • In CAS, create two Sims, teens or YA, any life state.
  • Founders do not have to be married or get married in-game, but they must remain a couple as Founders of the Dynasty (they can't marry any other Sim).
  • The founding couple is exempt from all Big Dream requirements prior to those for their starting age.
  • Spouses may never divorce; if a spouse dies, the living Sim may remarry one time only.
  • Additions to the household through birth, adoption (any age) and marriage only. Blood-related offspring may also be moved in with the spouse.
  • If a Sim in your household dies, you may invite that Sim to rejoin the household as a ghost or as a resurrected Sim.
  • Pets may be added to the household at any time but may only move out with a departing Sim.
  • Anyone joining the household as a child or older may replace the requirements they missed with completion of either 1) any University degree not required by the Big Dream or 2) any unique collection (unique among household additions) - this can't be the same collection meeting a Big Dream requirement for this Sim.

General Rules
  • Your household may create one custom holiday per week.
  • Each collection must be completed entirely by the Sim who has that requirement.
  • Your household may use the phone to move at any time to an empty house or lot; everyone in the household who hasn't finished their Big Dream must make the move.
  • Early age-up is allowed after requirements for that age are complete. Babies may be aged up anytime.
  • Each Sim may only complete one Big Dream.
  • Big Dreams must be unique until you have started all that you will be able to complete (based on the packs you have). Then you may start the second round of unique Big Dreams, which need not follow the same order as the first round.
  • If a Sim dies before completing a Big Dream, and you choose not to return that Sim to the household as a ghost or resurrected Sim, then that same Big Dream has to be completed by another Sim before that round is considered complete. If you have already started a subsequent round, the incomplete Big Dream must be assigned to the next available Sim.
  • Sims may only move out after completing a Big Dream.
  • Any Sim that wishes for promotion at the Wishing Well must wait one week before wishing for promotion again.
  • The lottery and accepting any offer of a large amount of money is banned until the first member of the second generation becomes a Young Adult.
  • At least 16 Big Dreams must be completed, with at least one in the eighth generation, to qualify for the Dynasty Hall of Fame.
  • The Big Dream requirements are listed in the spreadsheet linked below. The spreadsheet can also be used to track your progress.
  • Be sure to read the "Big Dream Requirement Clarifications" post below for more information about specific Big Dreams.

Spreadsheet

The attached spreadsheet lists the requirements of each Big Dream. Please make your own copy before updating. It is designed so that you can add your Sim name at the top of the column for each Big Dream, and then check off each requirement as your Sim completes it.

2021 Big Dreams Dynasty Spreadsheet

Finishing Up
Your Dynasty is complete when any member of the eighth generation has completed their Big Dream and you have completed at least 16 Big Dreams total. Congratulations! You made it into the Dynasty Hall of Fame. Send the challenge team a private message and let us know you have finished. To pm the challenge team, go to "Send Message," click the [Show membergroups] link on "Send to Group," and then check the Challenge Board Moderator box in the "To" column.

Good luck, everyone! And a huge THANK YOU to everyone who helped create and review the Big Dreams to get this Dynasty Challenge ready to go.

Please be aware that the game is constantly changing. All Dynasty rules are subject to change; they may require clarification as information is gathered over time and new content is released. All changes to the rules will be noted with a date change in the second post of this thread, titled "Big Dreams Dynasty Rule Adds/Edits."  Clarifications to Big Dream requirements will be shared in the third post of this thread, titled "Big Dream Requirement Clarifications." Please check these posts regularly for updates.

This Dynasty is Now Live

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 4 Big Dreams Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 06:16:25 AM »
Rules Additions & Edits

11/5/21  Changed: In CAS, create two YA Sims, any life state, as spouses.
             To: In CAS, create two Sims, teens or YA, any life state. They do not have to be married or get married in-game, but they must remain a couple as Founders of the Dynasty (they can't marry any other Sim).

11/6/21
  • Modified formatting to create sections for better readability.
  • Added list of allowed mods and cheats
  • Modified rule "The founding couple is exempt from all Big Dream requirements prior to those for YA." With the change to allow Founders to start as teens, that requirement is now "The founding couple is exempt from all Big Dream requirements prior to those for their starting age."
11/7/21
  • Modified the rule "At least 16 Big Dreams must be completed to qualify for the Dynasty Hall of Fame." to say "At least 16 Big Dreams must be completed, with at least one in the eighth generation, to qualify for the Dynasty Hall of Fame."
  • Modified "Your Dynasty is complete when the last member of the eighth generation has completed their Big Dream and you have completed at least 16 Big Dreams total" to say "Your Dynasty is complete when any member of the eighth generation has completed their Big Dream and you have completed at least 16 Big Dreams total."
  • Updated list of Cheats and Mods allowed to include more.
11/8/21
  • Added "Downloading stores stocked with collectables or locked items (such as career rewards) is not allowed."
12/27/21
  • Added "If a Sim in your household dies, you may invite that Sim to rejoin the household as a ghost or as a resurrected Sim."
  • Modified: "If a Sim dies before completing a Big Dream, and you choose not to return that Sim to the household as a ghost or resurrected Sim, then that same Big Dream has to be completed by another Sim before that round is considered complete. If you have already started a subsequent round, the incomplete Big Dream must be assigned to the next available Sim."
11/14/22
  • Added Set Filters on Paintings by Reference as an accepted mod for the Dynasty.
12/17/22
  • Removed the requirement to complete the Lightsaber collection from the Champion of Batuu Big Dream. The significant RNG factor of the collection along with the need to travel to complete all aspects of the dream was making this one disproportionately difficult.
12/30/22
  • Added Carl's Dine Out Reloaded mod to the list of approved mods.

Big Dream Requirement Clarifications
11/7/21
Updated the Gold Digger shopping requirement to "Must spend at least 4 hours shopping over a week for 4 different weeks" to indicate that if you miss a week, that is not a failure, but you need to do this for a total of 4 weeks.

11/8/21
Added collectibles as banned for the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat and Better Build/Buy mod.

11/24/21
Updated Dr. McSteamy's First Kiss requirement to: "First Kisses with co-workers must happen at the hospital. Patient sims must first be met at the hospital, but may be First Kissed anywhere."

11/28/21
- Updated pack requirements for:
  • Creative Artisan
  • Ghostbusters
  • Intrepid Adventurer
  • Legendary Gamer
  • Superstar
- Added Fitness as an option for Ghostbuster
- Added more options for Ace Photographer "Other" photographs to include more options that can be done with just base game and the packs already identified.
- Corrected checkbox issues (added/deleted) to provide the right number of boxes.

11/30/21
Updated Sea Siren's teen job requirement to: "Max Lifeguard."

12/02/21
Updated Sea Siren's fourth Other requirement to say: "Ask to Move In" and marry an Elemental (Do not use "Invite to Join Household")."

12/4/21
Modified Holiday Lover:  Removed the Host with the Most achievement - this post explains why.
Replaced Host with the Most with 2 additional "Other" requirements:
  • Put out 5 decorations from the Decoration Box on EACH of 5 different holidays.
  • Sneak a gift from a pile of presents 3 times. (Note that Sims with certain traits may not be able to sneak gifts (e.g. "good" Sims can't).

12/18/21
Added back some photos that were inadvertently removed from Ace Photographer's "Other" photographs:
  - A Sim dancing at a nightclub or lounge
  - A Sim fishing
  - A Sim blowing out birthday candles

1/25/22
Corrected a formatting error on World Traveler that caused the collection requirement to be duplicated.

6/19/22
Added the "Wolfie" Big Dream for the Werewolves Pack.

7/27/22
Updated spreadsheet - Dark Side Lord requirement of completing 666 whims to say:
"Complete at least 666 Whims/Wants   (Use the count in the Total Whims Completed line of the stats - it includes whims already completed before the update and add wants completed after the update)."

7/28/22
If you encounter the aging bug that came with the 7/26 patch causes your sims to age up early, you may either exit without saving or go back to an earlier save. You do not need to ask for or wait for any additional permission to do this.

9/4/22
If you are doing the World Traveler Big Dream and have the High School Years pack, you will need to choose "Skip Prom" on the Saturday night that your teens are on vacation.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 11:16:24 AM »
Welp, I have some questions.

1) I was wondering if the team would consider a possible rule change to allow us to start with 2 teens or young adults?  The teens wouldn't start out married, but they would marry.  It would allow the ability to complete teen goals, scout or drama requirements, and character values of their big dreams.

2) There are some big dreams that share achievement goals with other big dreams.  In those instances, since achievements are through game saves, do you just have to complete the task that would unlock that achievement with the sim when the achievement had already been unlocked?

3) Does the heir have to marry or can they just be single and adopt?

4) For gold digger, what constitutes as shopping for clothes?  Does a store that sell clothing need to be added so they can go there and browse, try stuff on, etc.?

5) For intrepid explore, it lists completing the omiscan artifacts collection twice.  Are one of those suppose to be omiscan treasures?

6) For big dreams who have an other goal of getting married, can they get married without their spouse joining the house?  For example the alien antics big dream of marrying a co-worker.

7) Since babies don't have requirements, and if you choose a long lifespan, do they have to be babies that whole time or can babies be aged up early for any reason?

Most of these questions are aimed at wanting to complete all big dreams in the 8 generations without adding anyone to the household other than adopted children or an alien abduction.  I want the sims to be able to complete all of the requirements in their big dreams.  Then save the ones like gold digger for the very end.  Thank you for your time!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 12:52:35 PM »
1) I was wondering if the team would consider a possible rule change to allow us to start with 2 teens or young adults?  The teens wouldn't start out married, but they would marry.  It would allow the ability to complete teen goals, scout or drama requirements, and character values of their big dreams.
The team is discussing this - I will post a decision soon.

2) There are some big dreams that share achievement goals with other big dreams.  In those instances, since achievements are through game saves, do you just have to complete the task that would unlock that achievement with the sim when the achievement had already been unlocked?
Yes, if another sim has already gotten the achievement, later Sims just need to complete the activity themselves.

3) Does the heir have to marry or can they just be single and adopt?
There isn't a specific heir in this dynasty - all Sims have the same rules. Sims in the household do not have to marry (unless their Big Dream requires it) - they may remain single and give birth or adopt.

4) For gold digger, what constitutes as shopping for clothes?  Does a store that sell clothing need to be added so they can go there and browse, try stuff on, etc.?
Get to Work added JF&S Clothiers in Magnolia Promenade. But you are allowed to replace it or add a different clothing store if you want. I saw that Get to Work was not identified as a required pack, so I added that. And "shopping for clothes" is as you described - go to the store, try on clothes, make a purchase.

5) For intrepid explore, it lists completing the omiscan artifacts collection twice.  Are one of those suppose to be omiscan treasures?
Thank you for catching this - it was unintentional and has been fixed in the spreadsheet.

6) For big dreams who have an other goal of getting married, can they get married without their spouse joining the house?  For example the alien antics big dream of marrying a co-worker.
Yes, they can get married without their spouse joining the household.

7) Since babies don't have requirements, and if you choose a long lifespan, do they have to be babies that whole time or can babies be aged up early for any reason?
Age-up can happen anytime requirements for that age are met - since there are no requirements for babies, you can age them up whenever you want.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »
Welp, I have some questions.

Most of these questions are aimed at wanting to complete all big dreams in the 8 generations without adding anyone to the household other than adopted children or an alien abduction.  I want the sims to be able to complete all of the requirements in their big dreams.  Then save the ones like gold digger for the very end.  Thank you for your time!

@christinal3106   I'm excited to hear that you will be attempting all of the Big Dreams!

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 03:13:32 PM »
@oshizu My mind wouldn't let me not try to do all of them. :D I won't be able to do the star wars one though because I'm not going to get that pack.  I'll probably leave simple living, off the grid, and filthy on the whole challenge. Also, I'm picking the first 2 big dreams but then the rest I'll choose randomly.  I thought about doing soulmate and family matters, but I really don't want to try to get mediator trait without having the parents be able to teach to say sorry, well if they decide to let us start with teens anyway. (I'm hoping!) Decided instead to start with family ties and soulmate.  Then, I decided they would have just the 3 kids the first generation and drew Artistic Genius, Rancherito, and Ace Photographer for the first 3 kids.  Do you have any plans for this challenge?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 03:25:11 PM »
Just wanted to say hi, @christinal3106  :) Nice to see you pop in.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 03:25:43 PM »
The team has discussed and agreed that we will change this rule to allow teens, and also unmarried YAs. The restriction to make this married YAs was actually added for the Tournament Challenge because there is more requirement there for simplicity and consistency, as that is a competition. But Dynasties are not competition, and starting as teens or YAs, single or married, allows more players to play the way they want. The one restriction is that the Founding couple actually is and remains a couple - they may choose not to marry, but they have to remain together - neither can marry someone else.

I will update that rule shortly.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »
@Metropolis Man Hello back to you.  And also, yay for teens! 

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 04:11:25 PM »
@oshizu My mind wouldn't let me not try to do all of them. :D I won't be able to do the star wars one though because I'm not going to get that pack.  I'll probably leave simple living, off the grid, and filthy on the whole challenge. Also, I'm picking the first 2 big dreams but then the rest I'll choose randomly.  I thought about doing soulmate and family matters, but I really don't want to try to get mediator trait without having the parents be able to teach to say sorry, well if they decide to let us start with teens anyway. (I'm hoping!) Decided instead to start with family ties and soulmate.  Then, I decided they would have just the 3 kids the first generation and drew Artistic Genius, Rancherito, and Ace Photographer for the first 3 kids.  Do you have any plans for this challenge?

I briefly considered playing teens, but I want to start with Family Matters which requires Mediator.
Maybe I'll change my mind again between now and 15 Nov, but I'm currently planning to start with two YAs with Family Matters and a yet-undecided second Big Dream.
I'm considering also incorporating a Perfect Genetics mini-challenge: only a sim with x hair color and x eye color may bring offspring into the family.
Since we can play on Long lifespan, I also thought of buying a home lot then cheating the household funds to zero.
Haha, it will depend ultimately how hard I want to make the challenge for myself.

How brave of you to randomize the choice of BDs--did you assign each BD a numeral then used a randomizer website?

I recently played a casual save for 22 weeks with Simple Living & Off the Grid, and really enjoyed it. The Geothermal lot trait is super helpful.
For the first 3 seasons (28 days each), I only grew crops/flowers in season (exception made for Dragonfruit) which really affected my grafting decisions.
I didn't attempt any tech-heavy aspirations or skills plus my Nerd Brains could only use the rocket ship at GeekCon.
Haven't tested how Off-the-Grid works with the electrical/electronic objects.
But may I ask why you've chosen Filthy as your 3rd lot challenge?

I love the planning stage.  Looking forward to how your dynasty unfolds.
It would be great if you could do a summary of your many accomplishments for each generation. 😁

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
I'll probably have more questions later.

For Alien Antics, it says the Sim must be 100% alien. Does this mean that an alien offspring resulting from an abduction cannot do this Big Dream or is the rule meant to exclude half aliens resulting from an ordinary alien/human birth? Aliens spawned by the game cannot be moved in unless they marry into the household, but then they have to marry a co-worker. It's a little confusing.

I assume for the Scientist that "using" the serums means either on the Sim who creates it or on another Sim? How are we handling the Age-Away serum?

Do cooking, baking, gourmet cooking, or mixology count for another creative skill since they all benefit from the Inspired moodlet or are the other creative skills limited to the musical instruments, painting, singing, and writing?

May we change lot traits freely and may we add lot traits to community lots?

What is a lampoon party?

Sorry in advance if I missed the answers to any of these questions in the rules or on the spreadsheet. This challenge looks, well, CHALLENGING, but fun. Thanks, team!

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 05:42:09 PM »
@reggikko
I can answer some of your questions

For Alien Antics, it says the Sim must be 100% alien. Does this mean that an alien offspring resulting from an abduction cannot do this Big Dream or is the rule meant to exclude half aliens resulting from an ordinary alien/human birth? Aliens spawned by the game cannot be moved in unless they marry into the household, but then they have to marry a co-worker. It's a little confusing.
*Alien Antics can only be completed by a 100% alien, which would initially require an abduction pregnancy to get an alien into the household. Alien hybrids are excluded.
  So yes, a by-abduction alienboo could definitely do this Big Dream. They could also choose to do a different BD, though, and marry another alien.

I assume for the Scientist that "using" the serums means either on the Sim who creates it or on another Sim? How are we handling the Age-Away serum?
*Age-Away Serum: I don't think this serum actually works on non-household sims. In my Power of 10 dynasty, my founder gave alt-Erwin Pries at least a half dozen Age-Away Serums but he got old and died anyway.

May we change lot traits freely and may we add lot traits to community lots?
*Yes and yes.

What is a lampoon party?
*It's a Get Famous party that is unlocked for a sim with a Bad Reputation.

*Creative skills: my thought is that any skill benefiting from an Inspired mood is a Creative skill, but I'd like to get a second opinion.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 05:47:32 PM »
Thanks, oshizu! So, it's acceptable for the Scientist or someone else in the household to drink the Age-Away serum?

Regarding spouses: Must a spouse complete a Big Dream or may they just be moved in as support (cooking, child care, etc.)? I realize they would not be allowed to move out without completing a big dream.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 06:11:34 PM »
Thanks, oshizu! So, it's acceptable for the Scientist or someone else in the household to drink the Age-Away serum?nks, oshizu! So, it's acceptable for the Scientist or someone else in the household to drink the Age-Away serum?
Yes, if the Scientist successfully ask another sim (household member or not) to drink the serum, that household member can drink it.

Regarding spouses: Must a spouse complete a Big Dream or may they just be moved in as support (cooking, child care, etc.)? I realize they would not be allowed to move out without completing a big dream.

No, every household member need not complete a Big Dream. If you wish, you can move in a spouse in a supporting role but, as you've already mentioned, they would remain in the dynasty home until their death.

Do cooking, baking, gourmet cooking, or mixology count for another creative skill since they all benefit from the Inspired moodlet or are the other creative skills limited to the musical instruments, painting, singing, and writing?
Yes, any skills that benefit from an Inspired mood is considered as a Creative skill, including your examples of Cooking, Gourmet Cooking, Baking, and Mixology.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 09:09:45 AM »

I'm considering also incorporating a Perfect Genetics mini-challenge: only a sim with x hair color and x eye color may bring offspring into the family.

That sounds fun, but scary.  The last time I tried one of those type of challenges, my sim had 10 kids before having the perfect genectics lol

How brave of you to randomize the choice of BDs--did you assign each BD a numeral then used a randomizer website?

Well, every Big Dream has a number associated to it on the spreadsheet, so I just wrote down all the numbers on a little piece of paper and drew 2 out of the box.  There will be a few that if I draw them, I'll have to redraw if something else isn't done first, and I know that Alien Antics needs to be done after scientist.

Haven't tested how Off-the-Grid works with the electrical/electronic objects.

You need A LOT of windmills and solar panels.

But may I ask why you've chosen Filthy as your 3rd lot challenge? 

I play with filthy simply because it doesn't seem like things get dirty as much anymore.  It still doesn't seem like that things get that dirty even with the challenge, but I guess it gives me a reason to get my sims to do upgrades.

I love the planning stage.  Looking forward to how your dynasty unfolds.
It would be great if you could do a summary of your many accomplishments for each generation. 😁

I love planning too!  Hopefully I will be able to stick to it and finish it.  I will definitely be keeping track, and if I finish will be submitting it and sharing a summary of sorts.  Maybe I should just share a summary, I feel like that kept me on track in the couple of dynasties I did finish in the sims 3.  I was just doing a ten gen dynasty, but first attempt, realize I broke a rule so started over.  Second attempt, the first heir just turned YA and realized I broke a rule.  I need to get better at making extra saves.

I have one question about the creative skills as well.  Would DJ Mixing be considered a creative skill?  I think it's ideal mood is confident but any other music based skill would count, so I guess I assumed it would be too.   

Also, yay for me finally figuring out how to do the quotes correctly lol