Author Topic: Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge) COMPLETED  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge) COMPLETED
« on: September 25, 2021, 06:20:26 AM »
Story Index

1.1: What's Zee Big Deal?
1.2: School? What School?
1.3: A Rose by Any Other Name
1.4: Money, Money, Money Help Needed!
2.1: Just Call Me Irresponsible
2.2: Rage Against - Well - Everything
3.1: (I Think) I’m Outta Here!
3.2: Writing and Painting for Fame & Fortune
Adult Trait - Have Your Say
5.1: A Late Appearance
Exit: Slow Down – Show Down
Epilogue: Looking Back and Forward

Final Score
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Extras

Room Challenge Rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Settings

Aging off for all
Started in Summer
Extreme weather allowed

Prologue

Hi folks, my name’s Rapunzel.

Prologue 1.jpg

I know – it’s a bit of a mouthful, right? But mum thought it “lends a certain air”. Whatevs. I’m generally cheerful so I can make it work for me, you know? My twin brother has started hating that, btw, me being cheerful. For some reason he’s only happy now on the odd times I get stressed!
Hey - don’t tell Mum but I found an amazing pair of dungarees in the trash can behind some flats the other day. I did a bit of patching and gave them a good wash and I love them. Mum would do her nut if she found out. She thinks those are designer rips, lol.

Prologue 2.jpg

Mum prefers my twin to me – they’re both into having lots of new stuff all the time. It seems a real waste to me to always be chucking the old stuff out, which is why I keep hauling it out of the trash and finding new ways to use it.

Prologue 3.jpg

Oh yeah! Mum is Nancy and my twin is Malcolm and here’s me and Dad - Geoffrey - enjoying a hug. He’s the best! Always trying to do the right thing even though he’s heir to the massive Landgraab corporation that seems to own everything around here. I guess that makes me & Malcolm heirs too?

Prologue 4.jpg

What do you mean – you’ve never heard of me? I can’t think why that is…
Anyhoo - I’m halfway through my teens so I’m still working out what I want to do with my life. I haven’t done that well in school (C grade – oops!) I don’t really fit the “brick in the wall” scheme.
Friday evening: I’m home from school and I’ve had enough… It just doesn’t seem to teach me anything I want to know!
Saturday: Mum has all day to have a real go at me about why I prefer practical clothes and just let my hair do its own thing. She’s a bit high-maintenance and doesn’t get why I don’t want the whole well-groomed thing. It’s just a bit of a snooze-fest. She doesn’t care what I do with my life as long as I earn lots of money and have lots of nice stuff. Malcolm’s always been like that too. They say I must have been swapped at birth but they got me DNA-tested (rude!) so they’re stuck with me.

Prologue 5.jpg

Sunday morning: That’s it! Cheerfulness has its limits! I can write in my journal and wind down to classical music all I like but I just want to be on my own! I don’t care where! Anywhere where my family is not!
Alright Mum, alright! I’ll go with you and Malcolm although he’s giving me such a dirty look, I’m not sure why he’s coming too.

Prologue 6.jpg

Where are we? Oh wow! What an amazing tower – a bit stark but hey! Up there I’d be away from everyone.

Prologue 7.jpg

Phew – that’s a lot of steps! But what a view! And, hooray, they are still down there! Wimps!

Prologue 8.jpg

Hey, wait a minute! Where did the door go? What? Mum? Mum? Why is Malcolm looking so happy?

Prologue 9.jpg

Stats: Week 1, Sunday am
Rapunzel Landgraab: skills 0 on all counts; a cheerful freegan teen aiming to be an eco-innovator.
Watcher: thanks for reading my little prologue. This is the first story I’ve tried writing for my Simverse. It’s also my first stab at the room challenge, taking the rules from:
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/793808/sims-4-room-challenge

I’ve been a Watcher for about 18 months now and I’ve recently started enjoying reading the stories by other Watchers. I love the diversity of styles and approaches so here we go. Fingers crossed we can keep out of the story-graveyard!
Feel free to offer any tips :)

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge): 1.1 What's Zee Big Deal?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 11:26:20 AM »
Week 1 – Sunday am

Rapunzel: Mum? I know I look really cheerful but I’m very confused!

RG 1.1.1.jpg

You remember I was having an “I vant to be alone” moment and you encouraged me up this tower and then the door disappeared? Well – WHAT’S GOING ON?

RG 1.1.2.jpg

No – I’m not really applying myself to schoolwork. Yes – I get my clothing from charity shops. No – I don’t want a makeover. But what’s that got to do with me being stuck in a tower?
I’ve got to stay here until a prince rescues me???? You do know this is the 21st century, right?
It’s that or prove I can succeed by myself? Just what does that mean? You’ll let me know the steps as I go? You’re not the boss of me. You can’t lock me up like this.
Oh... You’ve got some dodgy-looking friends… Dad’s company owns a lot of stuff around here… I can’t believe he’s on board with this. Hello? Hello? She hung up on me! What am I going to do? I’m stuck in a nightmare or some sort of fairytale. What I need is a…
Watcher: Hello?
Rapunzel: Fairy Godmother?

RG 1.1.3.jpg

Watcher: Oh – well, I suppose that works. Hi – I’m your Fairy Godmother. You seem to be in a bit of a pickle but I think I can help you if you’re willing to give it a go?
Rapunzel: Do you work for my mum? Only her friends are a bit shifty so I’m just being careful, no offense.
Fairy Godmother: None taken. No, I don’t work for either of your parents. I do have access to a modest bank account they’ve set up for you and I’m authorized to adjust your tower to make it a bit more comfortable. The only rule is that you’ve got to live within an area that’s about 64 m2

RG 1.1.4.jpg

There’s not many other rules – you can’t go out for a job or even freelance from home…
Rapunzel: I’m too young to have a proper job anyway so that’s no biggie.
Fairy Godmother: You can’t leave the 64 squares for any reason.
Rapunzel: This isn’t forever tho. Mum said something about proving myself? Do you know what that means, FG?
Fairy Godmother: FG? Oh, right. That does make life easier. Rapunzel’s quite a lot of typing too. How do you feel about….Zee?
Rapunzel: Why not? A new me with a new name. Zee it is. Now, about taking steps to get out of here?
FG: Your mum wants you to earn a bit of money and make your home look nice
Zee: That’s a bit vague.
FG: 15 pieces of artwork…
Zee: Lead me to the easel!
FG: And your house needs to be worth $50k. We’ve already got the $20k so nearly halfway there.

RG 1.1.5.jpg

At this point, Zee loses the plot and freaks out so FG waves her magic wand around for a bit; the tower disappears and a small bungalow with a small outdoor area materializes.

RG 1.1.6.jpg

Zee: What happened? I went blank for a mo. Wow – I thought you said “adjust” the tower. This is some adjustment!
FG: (buffs fingernails) It’s a start. The $18.5k, after the $1.5k for the plot, didn’t go very far but you’re back on the ground with access to a mailbox – you’ll need that. Plus I added…
Zee: My very own dumpster. (rustle, rustle, rustle) You’d be amazed what people throw out. Thank you, so much!

RG 1.1.7.jpg

FG: Um – OK. I was going to point out the bed, appliances, plumbing but, sure, your very own dumpster. So, what do you think? Where shall we start?
Zee: I really want to be an eco-innovator. In fact, it’s time I voted on the Neighbourhood Action Plans. Oh no! I don’t have any influence to push any NAPs through. I need to meet people, but how?
FG: Are we going to fall at the first hurdle? (scans manual) Have you got anything to donate? Nope. Let’s just leave it for now. We’ve got until tomorrow evening. How do you feel about gardening? There’s not a lot of room but some Watc…Fairy Godmothers swear by harvesting stuff as a quick way of making money. What’s in season?
Zee: I’ve got a strawberry, blackberry, and a grape. In they go and water.
FG: We’ll set up a club so that stuff like gardening will be more fun. Club members can’t come into your space but they can come to the rest of the lot. Do you care what age they can be?
Zee: Maybe just keep it to my age group? There – I’ve picked out 5 people. Let’s start a meeting. Why yes, they do all seem to be boys…maybe one of them is a prince and I could let down my hair, lol.

RG 1.1.8.jpg

Oh – this is a bit weird – we can see them but they can’t see us. (wistfully) they seem to be getting on well together.
(looking on the bright side) I know! I’ll write a best-seller.

RG 1.1.9.jpg

Ow! Fruit salad isn’t as easy as it looks and it’s shop-bought and I really wanted to live the freegan life and I still can’t vote any NAPs in and, and... Send the boys home! I don’t want to see anyone! I’m going to bed!

Stats at Week 1 – Sunday eve
Starting score: 100
Day points 0:
Skill points 0: Gardening 1/10; Writing 2/10
Aspiration points 0: Eco-Innovator 0/4
Mansion Baron Progress: 0/4

Thank you for reading this far.
Staying inside the 64 square lot will need a heap of creativity but it’s very clear cut so I should be able to stick to the rules.
Rapunzel’s – sorry – Zee is generally cheerful and her needs haven’t fallen too quickly so no red bars today. She just lost it over compromising her Freegan ideals.
Her aspiration of being an eco-innovator seemed do-able with access to the mailbox but how will she get her influence points? Will we declare it impossible, enabling her to choose another aspiration?
Find out in the next chapter…

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Rapunzel Grounded: A Room Challenge Prologue
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 03:40:48 PM »
I have a soft spot for Malcolm, so I love that your sim Rapunzel is his twin!
Best of luck with your Room Challenge, Granny Lawlor!

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Re: Rapunzel Grounded: A Room Challenge Prologue
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 06:54:47 AM »
I have a soft spot for Malcolm, so I love that your sim Rapunzel is his twin!
Best of luck with your Room Challenge, Granny Lawlor!

@oshizu Malcolm is Rapunzel's nemesis! I can't believe he won't show up to gloat a little!
Thanks for the good wishes - I've really enjoyed your stories.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge): 1.2 School? What School?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 07:34:13 AM »
Week 1: Monday

Zee: I wake up after a good night’s sleep. I quite like sleeping on an upper bunk and it leaves a bit of space below. That’s crucial in my cell.

RG 1.2.01.jpg

Yes, however FG – that’s Fairy Godmother – decorates it for me, I can’t leave. It is my prison cell. I put the remains of last nights fruit salad (oh the shame of shop-bought) in the dumpster and have a rummage to see if anything else has turned up.
A live Red Coral. I wonder how it gone in my dumpster? I could sell Corrie but she looks a bit lost and far from home. Maybe we could be friends.

RG 1.2.02.jpg

7.00am I get a reminder that I’ve got 1 hour before school. Hah – in your face, mother! She’ll have to let me out to go to school.

8.00am I wave pointlessly at the world in general and realize I’m not going to school today. I’m not going to school today! Mum’s probably made the head teacher an offer – something to do with horses heads but I think I’m mixing things up. Anyhoo – no school – yippee! I’d not done my homework anyway, what with the relocation.

RG 1.2.03.jpg

I’m feeling so happy I just want to text someone! I’ll text Malcolm to let him know how happy I am. Ha ha. I’m sure I read somewhere that you should be friendly to your enemy because it’s like heaping burning coals on his head. And I think Malcolm is my enemy. I’m sure he’s at the bottom of my situation!

RG 1.2.04.jpg

After having a thoughtful shower, I make a start on those 15 paintings Mum seems to think I need to be successful. What’s that about? The first few aren’t up to much so I list them on Plopsy. They would probably count but they’re an embarrassment.
I start a club meeting while I’m painting. I’ve put an easel outside the fence too and the boys take turns painting. What do you know? I can reach out and grab their paintings too. Is this slave-labour? Nah! FG has built them a swimming pool in return. I can’t go in so it’s definitely for them.
Oh, wow, I, erm, FG?

RG 1.2.05.jpg

FG: Yes? Do you like the swimming pool?
Zee: It’s just – I can’t quite see – could you put in some full-length windows by the swimming pool. Just so I can make sure the boys are safe while they get fit – fitter…
FG: I think I understand. How’s that?

RG 1.2.06.jpg

Zee: Great – now I’ll just do some writing at the window. I mean at the desk which just happens to be by the window.

RG 1.2.07.jpg

By the way – you may be wondering about my wardrobe. My super-stylish Mum couldn’t imagine that I wouldn’t want all my clothes so she left me with two sets for each season. She’s all heart! Actually 3 sets for everyday and only 1 for swimwear because – no swimming for me. I haven’t got a dresser here yet so I can’t adapt them but I’ve got plenty of choice anyway. I’d love to show you one of those gallery-style lovely photo montages but FG says she has no idea how to create them.

Getting peckish, I check the dumpster, or should I say “larder”? Ew, no I shouldn’t! Spoiled something on a plate. I don’t even want to know!

RG 1.2.08.jpg

I buy another pack of seeds and use a spare blackberry to make more fruit salad. At least I don’t need to watch my weight although I’m glad the plumbing is OK, what with all this roughage, an’ all…
The boys plant the remaining seeds along their side of the fence. It’s crazy that they can’t see me – must be some sort of magic. I’m wondering if I’ll be able to harvest through the fence…
FG: I think I’ll move the plants into your enclosure when they’re in season and then out when they’re not productive.
Zee: Enclosure?!?! What am I? Some sort of zoo exhibit? Really!

I take my chances with the dumpster again – ooh – noir dye! I like bright colours – greens mainly – but free dye! It’s time to try out that fabricator that’s taking up 4 squares of my cell. One very stylish noir rug and I’ve got a more cozy feel in here. Makes up for waving the boys off home.

6.00pm I never did get any influence on the Neighbourhood Action Plan but – what’s this? The good folk of my part of Newcrest have passed the Support Performing Arts NAP. I can go with that. FG – I need a violin and a microphone!

RG 1.2.09.jpg

I’ve been quite happy on and off all day. I have rung Dad a few times, when I started feeling lonely. He’s missing me but Mum and Malcolm have persuaded him that this will be good for me. They might be right but Mum’s just fed up with my lack of ambition and Malcolm, well who knows what he’s planning!

Stats at Week 1 – Monday evening

Starting score: 100
Day points: -1
Skill points 0:
Aspiration points 0: Eco-Innovator 0/4
Mansion Baron Progress: 0/4
Ending score: 99

RG 1.2.10.jpg

Thank you for reading this far.
The eco-innovator level one is possible for Zee but only because a helpful NAP was passed. I’m not sure I’d have had the patience to wait and see what another week brought.
Being able to swipe the artwork from easels adjacent to the fence is handy and hopefully not breaking any rules.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge): Prologue
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »
She's not leaving her space, so that's fine. As I recall, the social need is the hardest to keep in the green with this challenge, but being able to call her family and chat with her club members should help. Good luck!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 05:43:05 PM »
Thanks @MarianT
I've grown quite fond of Rapunzel so I'd hate to see her fail.
Her social needs were helped by being in a teen phase of not wanting to be with family. It really tied in with the story - like it read my mind!
She can't talk to the club members except on the phone when they're not there. It actually looks quite sad. It also means she can't Rally The Troops, unless I'm missing a trick.
The best social need filler is telling jokes at the microphone which also builds comedy and gets influence for the NAP voting. Win, win, win!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »
I forgot to say that both your tower and cottage are quite pretty.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge) 1.3: A Rose by Any Other Name
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 05:33:41 AM »
Rapunzel Grounded 1.3: A Rose by Any Other Name

Tuesday

This morning I wake up really wanting a bee box. FG what do you think? Will the boys bond with the bees – I really want one for some overpowering but unknown reason. The honey would be nice.
FG: OK, we’ll have a go. I’ve never had much patience with the bonding process but if your boys will take care of that it would improve your crop yield. You’re only getting 3 harvestables from each plant at the moment.  Here you are – start the club.

RG 1.3.1.jpg

Zee: I just need to quickly harvest before the boys go scrumping. I can harvest the plants just outside the fence – amazing! The boys plant some spares for me and I keep some for the fridge – self-sufficiency all the way.

I really should learn the names of the boys in the crew. The club is called “Help Me Out” – too obvious? There’s island Duane, Rahul (who rarely shows up), blond Wolfgang, Hugo (who keeps his shirt on to swim) and auburn Rohan. They’re all rather sweet in different ways. From a distance anyway.

RG 1.3.2.jpg

No school again today. Instead I complete 2 children’s books: The Evil Brother and Family Matters. They’re not very good but I self-publish them anyway.

I practice the violin and tell jokes on and off all day and easily get enough influence to vote on a NAP next weekend. It’s the best way I can think of to improve this neighbourhood.

My last dumpster find of the day is a suspiciously black dining chair. I could sell it automatically without looking at it – you can sucker someone into paying full whack for it like that but it seems dishonest to me and FG so we confirm it is burnt beyond use and crunch it up in the recycler.

The chair was disappointing and I started missing my Dad but I distracted myself by telling jokes and, for some reason, that makes me feel less lonely.

Wednesday

No school again but this time the headmistress phones me for a chat. She explained that, although she respects my mother’s wish to home-school me, she has no choice but to drop my official grade to a D! Home-school? Yeah – right! The head hangs up before I can explain.

RG 1.3.3.jpg

I get very focused and create some incomprehensible mathematical diagram as a stream of consciousness – it’s not too bad so I hang it up. Just before I have to fix the radio.

Mum shows up – maybe she’ll let me out? No. No! She just wants to use the pool! I've no idea why we never had one at home.  This is so embarrassing. I’ve sent the boys home. They don’t need to see that!

RG 1.3.4.jpg

Todays dumpster delights: False morel (planted); an excellent poke bowl (yummy) and some houndstooth dye

Thursday

The usual red flashing of the briefcase reminds me I’m only a D grade in school which is only going to get worse. But I’ve learnt so much here instead. My writing is getting better all the time as are my gardening skills. Did you know that crossing a strawberry with a snapdragon would give me dragonfruit? That would be a lot more lucrative. But how to get a snapdragon? Do they come in the seed packets?

I try to make houndstooth book shelf but the fabricator goes crazy and attacks me.

RG 1.3.5.jpg

I’m not doing much painting but I am selling loads of the boys work. Well, actually it’s mainly Hugo. He does most of the gardening too and he’s started jogging even though that’s not one of our club activities. Maybe he’d like to be able to swim without his shirt.

RG 1.3.6.jpg

I want to sell the Bee Box
FG: But you really wanted it!
Zee: I know but the boys don’t bond with the bees and I don’t want those angry bees any closer even if they would give me honey.
FG: OK – they’re history.
Zee: You're so good to me. BTW – I’ve decided I don’t really like being called Zee. Can I go back to Rapunzel?
FG: Sure thing, Rapunzel. It’s your identity so it’s your choice. I’ll stick to FG, if that’s OK.
Rapunzel: It was nice to try a different me but I am what I am! Green eyes and all!
FG: Yes! They are rather lovely.

RG 1.3.7.jpg

It’s TV Premier Day. The launch of Peach is the New Orange. I consider changing my wardrobe to match the theme and then remember that I have no dresser. Still, the movie is great and I pump my fist in an embarrassing way but no-one can see so it’s OK.

Today’s Dumpster Delights: Orb (planted), Tomato (yippee - planted)

Stats Week 1 – Thursday eve:

Opening score: 99
Day points: -3
Skill points: 0
Aspiration points: 0
Closing score: 96

Notes

The score is depressingly only going down like Zee Rapunzel’s grades. However she should be able to move on with her aspiration when NAP voting opens on Friday and the skills are building.
I need to start noting the buildings worth as well to mark that progress.
I’ve added an index to my first post through quite a bit of trial and error. I didn’t read the tip to reserve a couple of posts until too late – it’s a learning curve.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge): 1.4 Money, Money, Money
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »
Rapunzel Grounded 1.4: Money, Money, Money - Help Needed

Friday

Rapunzel: After another dumb attempt to leave for school, the voting opens for the next NAP and I proudly add my 2 – count them – 2 votes for clean energy.

RG 1.4.1.jpg

I don’t think they’ll have much weight with all the other voting. What’s the point? I work hard to get any influence but the only way to make a real difference is to become a Civil Designer and I’m not ready or able to do that.
FG: Well done on getting your votes in. How are you getting on with your writing?
Rapunzel: I’m earning over $200 a day in royalties now so I’m sure I’ll soon reach the $50k and get out of here!
FG: Your logic ability needs a bit of work. 50,000/200 =250days
Rapunzel: What!?! I need to up my game. How about I focus on the writing for a while?

RG 1.4.2.jpg

Someone called Knox Greenburg calls round, wanting to use my recycler. Good luck with that mate! He’s kind of cute although his nose is a little large.
FG: Don’t go there! That nose lasts through generations and needs careful hair choices to make it work! Trust me, I know!

RG 1.4.3.jpg

Rapunzel: OK, whatever. Hey, is that Malcolm out the front? Argh – I feel so stressed just having any family nearby! What’s he doing here anyway – just hanging about with Knox!

RG 1.4.4-5.jpg

FG: What can I do to help de-stress you?
Rapunzel: (wheedling) I still don’t have an oven. A girl gets a bit tired of salads and sandwiches, you know.
FG: I was waiting because, if you set fire to yourself, I’m really worried I’d lose you. The firefighters won’t be able to get in and it would be “game over”.
Rapunzel: Game? Does this feel like a game to you?
FG: (whistling innocently) Let’s get you an oven. We’ll put some fire-resistant tiles around it and install a fire system and just be careful, OK?
Rapunzel: Yay! Ready, steady, cook! But only with found or grown things, of course.

RG 1.4.6.jpg

Going dumpster diving really energizes me so I do a few push-ups and knock off an excellent book and start another: Exercising for Cons & Exercising for Submariners

Today’s Dumpster Delights: faux meat cube, spinach, branching bloom artwork, and a rainbow firefly.

Saturday

With no school for the boys, I get them round early. Rahul as usual is a no-show.
It starts raining and the boys are looking a bit miserable. FG?
FG: Yes?
Rapunzel: How’s the bank account? If we build a summer house for the boys, will it count towards Mum’s requirements?
FG: Yep! What did you have in mind? I guess you want the pool to stay where it is?
Rapunzel: We-ell, it would be a pain to move…
FG: We can give them a radio, a picnic bench and some journals so they can work on their writing as well. It’ll be good for their emotional control. I’ve seen some of them crying sometimes – not sure why…

RG 1.4.7.jpg

Rapunzel: That looks lovely. Thanks, FG. I don’t want them to be unhappy.

Mum just phoned. She suggested that I might like to visit home! I just hung up. Is she developing a split personality?

My relationship with Mum, Dad & Malcolm remains as strong as ever so I’m slowly embracing my close-knit lifestyle. I’m already single & loving it not through choice. I can’t really connect with Wolfgang, Rohan, Hugo, and Duane. I could phone them when they’re not here. They must think it weird that their club leader is invisible.

Hey! I’ve completed 2 books today and felt inspired the whole time. Let’s buy a basketball hoop for the guys to celebrate – they’ll enjoy that when it’s not raining.

RG 1.4.8.jpg

Ooh – a money tree seed in the dumpster – who would throw that out? Quick, let’s plant it and watch the simoleons roll in!
FG: Erm – I’m not sure you’ll be allowed to do that.
Rapunzel: Why not? I can’t buy a lottery ticket because I’m only a teen and no one’s randomly left me any money. Why shouldn’t I make the most of it? There – it’s planted – ha!
FG: I’ll need to check – we don’t want any trouble with powers that be. You can leave it in the ground as it takes a while to mature but we may have to get rid of it…
Rapunzel: (looks rebellious)

RG 1.4.9.jpg

Stats Week 1 – Saturday eve/Sun am:

Opening score: 96
Day points: -3 (to Sunday am) = total -7
Aspiration points: +10 (eco-innovator 1/4 & best-selling author 1/4)
Closing score: 103

Notes

HELP, please!
I was thinking I wouldn’t buy a money tree seed for Rapunzel using reward points. It’s not mentioned in the room challenge rules but I don’t think it’s been updated for Seasons. I know it’s not allowed in most rags-to-riches style challenges but they don’t cover finding one in a dumpster.
Thoughts, anyone?
Rapunzel was quite determined to plant it but Nancy & Malcolm might say she’s breaking the rules and have to re-start!

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 01:38:58 PM »
Wow, jackpot!  I've never found a money tree seed in a dumpster, but then I've also never given a sim Freegan before.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 02:43:00 PM »
Wow, jackpot!  I've never found a money tree seed in a dumpster, but then I've also never given a sim Freegan before.
I know! I just don't know if it's ok to grow and harvest it within the room challenge!

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
I checked out the original rules post, and like the first page and last couple.  Everyone seems to be playing according to the original rules, and taking advantage of the new content which makes it a lot easier than when it was originally posted.  I would say... fork the save here.  Go ahead and take advantage of the amazing windfall.  And if the OP does get around to amending the rules and disqualifies money trees, you can pick up the fork and delete the money tree as a seedling, and continue from where you were.

Oh, and yes, you should be able to get a snapdragon from a seed packet.  With your money tree, it isn't really going to matter, but if you do this without one, dragonfuit is a real money maker.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 03:51:15 PM »
Thanks @Brian_Z that makes sense.

Rapunzel will be thrilled - she's forgotten there's more than one step to getting out!

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Rapunzel Grounded (A Room Challenge): 2.1 Just Call Me Irresponsible
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 04:38:24 AM »
Week 2: Sunday

Rapunzel: I spend all day working on my books. It seems like a good deal – you work hard once and then the money just keeps rolling in. Although I notice that the money drops off as the books age so - there’s that.
Half-way through the morning, Dad rings. Would I like to go to the Flea Market with him and improve my haggling? Come on! This isn’t funny. It’s like they’ve forgotten their own rules!

RG 2.1.1.jpg

Mum and Dad have both decided that my neighbourhood – Bridgeview – is the perfect jogging spot. I could mind that but actually it’s quite nice to see them.

RG 2.1.2.jpg

Monday

There’s loads of gardening that needs doing so I call in the troops early. They get right on it but all leave at 8.00 for school. Nope, I don’t miss that 8 to 3 at all!

The day seems awfully long, all by myself. Alternating between writing and dumpster-diving (plus the subsequent showering) gets a little monotonous. FG?
FG: It’s not a thrill-a-minute ride, is it? Have you considered upgrading things so you have nicer surroundings?
Rapunzel: I could have a go at the plumbing. I think electronics and appliances are a bit beyond me at the moment.
FG: Hang on a mo. There – a top of the range sink, instead of the cheapest. You can make a start on that. There’s no point in upgrading stuff that we’ll want to replace later

RG 2.1.3.jpg

3pm Rapunzel: According to some government stats, I’m currently on track to be an irresponsible adult! That’s the trouble with one-size-fits-all policies! Look at me – I’m the most responsible teen I know. I only know Malcolm, but still way more responsible than him.

RG 2.1.4.jpg

Tuesday

I’ve stopped inviting the boys over before school. It’s too sad when they all go at 8.00am. Hang on a minute! Why is Malcolm not in school? And what are they plotting? Quick, FG, hide the money tree! It’s still small enough that they might not see it.

RG 2.1.5.jpg

FG: I’m asking the other FGs about the money tree. Don’t worry. I think Nancy & Malcolm are just sharing secrets.
Rapunzel: And you don’t think that should worry me? Hey, where’s the basketball hoop gone? I was just thinking about having a go.
FG: And that’s why it’s gone! You keep being distracted by wanting to shoot some hoops that you forget what you’re doing. Here, have a top of the range shower tub!
Rapunzel: Ooh – soaks! Which does what?
FG: I can never remember – just have some fun. And do some upgrading here and there.

RG 2.1.6.jpg

Wednesday

Rapunzel: Wow – I’ve written 5 more books and they’re all excellent. It’s time for the boys to arrive and tidy up the garden. Oh dear, their radio is broken. Ah – it’s OK. Hero Hugo to the rescue!
FG: Keep an eye on him! If you’re not very handy, you can get a nasty…
Rapunzel: Shock! Is he OK?
FG: He should be OK as long as he doesn’t try again too soon.
Rapunzel: Don’t let him, FG! I know he’s not the best-looking of the club but he does more than anyone else! Anyway, didn’t you have me mend my radio as my first fix?
FG: Yes but I wouldn’t have let you do it twice. I haven’t got much control over Hugo… He’s trying again! Hold your breath!
Rapunzel: Will that help? Oh, I can’t watch!
FG: It’s OK. He’s done it this time. Phew. Oh bother it! I was so busy holding my breath, I didn’t take any photos! I wonder if I can….
Rapunzel: Photos? What are the photos for?
FG: Oh, erm… evidence that you’ve kept to the rules? Moving on… Did you see that it’s Harvestfest tomorrow? Can we make that work?
Rapunzel: I love the gnomes. I hope I get a rabbit gnome!

Stats Week 2 – Thu am:

Opening score: 103
Day points: -4 (to Thursday am) = total -11
Aspiration points: +5 (best-selling author 2/4) = total +15
Closing score: 104

Notes
Does anyone else get so caught up in the unfolding dramas that they totally miss the photo ops? So frustrating!