Author Topic: Fish Thief  (Read 5525 times)

Offline Manderley

• Llama Wrangler
Fish Thief
« on: August 14, 2021, 10:36:06 AM »
So how do you stop sims from stealing the fish out of your fish traps???  It is happening all the time!

Offline nomo

• Nooboo
  • Millennium hand and shrimp, bugrit
Re: Fish Thief
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 05:01:18 PM »
If you mean Fish Poachers, they are a part of the island game pack narrative, and so if you clean up the nature they will not be so frequent I believe. You can hover over their heads to see if they have a 'title'. There are many guides on how to clean up Sulani online.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 01:30:02 AM »
The poachers will just fish at regular fishing spots, but apparently you can tell by looking at them that they're catching protected species or something.  I believe Manderley is saying that people are just randomly helping themselves to his fish traps.  I don't really do anything with fish traps, but I do see visitors to my lot help themselves to my garden.  Someone once made off with 25k worth of dragonfruits!

Offline nomo

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »
Yes, I have also only seen the 'angler' type of poachers, but mermaids can be afforded the role, and can steal from within the water, I have seen reports of this on Sims Forum.  It could be NAP's as well, making sims steal, and it could be mods of course, as always. Let's see what OP says.

Online Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 12:25:43 PM »
It doesn't even have to do with NAP's, or even Kleptomaniac trait.  Sims visiting your lot just seem to think that it's okay to harvest your plants-- and apparently empty your fish traps, I haven't seen it happen because I never use them.  It's just like when someone visiting your lot will sometimes clean up messes, or take out your trash.  They think they're being helpful.  It's just a limitation of the game's programming-- something's ready to do, so they do it for you.  They're sims, so they don't understand that they're walking off with thousands of simoleans worth of harvestables.  And so, short of some sort of fencing to lock them out, there isn't much you can do about it.

Offline nomo

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »
We are having a discussion without the OP..  :P

But no, I don't think harvesting plants is supposed to be auto enabled behaviour, something needs to be in check for that to occur, and until OP comes back and gives more info we are just guessing, and no matter how fun that is it doesn't really lead anywhere. If there is nothing obvious causing it it can be reported as a bug.

If you want to chat you are welcome to come post in my building thread, I'm desperate for some sims-talk.  :)

Offline Manderley

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 08:17:20 PM »
so first let me say, no mods no cc.

I haven't had much problem with visitors stealing harvestables and I have a huge garden.

I'm on the off the grid lot in Sulani...Admiral's Wreckage.  I have six fish traps right next to the fishing sign.  I bring in quite a bit of money with these traps.

Very often the sims with an exclamation sign over their heads swim out and empty my trap.  Usually just one trap but sometimes they are all emptied.  I can tell because I set them with bait and after the visitor fools with the trap it no longer has bait.

There is no way for my sim to run fast enough to stop them.  There is also no option to tell them to stop.  You do have the options for confronting them about bad behavior like littering.  I believe that my island has been restored to its beautiful state although I do occasionally see bits of trash.

I was thinking a net fence might be a solution similar to the net around the end of the dock.  I'm wondering if it is just something I have to live with like people showing up with food or kicking over the trash can.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 08:35:40 PM »
so first let me say, no mods no cc.

I haven't had much problem with visitors stealing harvestables and I have a huge garden.

I'm on the off the grid lot in Sulani...Admiral's Wreckage.  I have six fish traps right next to the fishing sign.  I bring in quite a bit of money with these traps.

Very often the sims with an exclamation sign over their heads swim out and empty my trap.  Usually just one trap but sometimes they are all emptied.  I can tell because I set them with bait and after the visitor fools with the trap it no longer has bait.

There is no way for my sim to run fast enough to stop them.  There is also no option to tell them to stop.  You do have the options for confronting them about bad behavior like littering.  I believe that my island has been restored to its beautiful state although I do occasionally see bits of trash.

I was thinking a net fence might be a solution similar to the net around the end of the dock.  I'm wondering if it is just something I have to live with like people showing up with food or kicking over the trash can.

With this bit of explanation, it could be that you have caught Protected fish in the nets and they are releasing them. If you have caught endangered fish, Blue Tuna, Blue Plakat, Leopard Shark, etc, there are at least 14 types in Sulani. I am not saying it is, but this could be the explanation as to why they are releasing them.

"Sims who have ill intentions will have a red exclamation point flashing above their heads. Scrolling over them will tell you whether they are a Fish Poacher, a Litterbug, or an Anti-Environmentalist. They all need to be taught a lesson. Your Sims can nicely ask them to leave or angrily confront them about their wrongdoing. Sims with a high Charisma skill are more likely to be successful at convincing the troublemakers to leave."

Shannon

Edited:

Also the red exclamation marks are a sign of a litterbug for the Sulani Pack. That might have something to do with it too. I am doing some research.

Offline nomo

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 08:48:51 PM »
The fish poachers etc (the red exclamation mark) are part of the narrative in the game pack, so no bug. There is an interaction on them to ask them to leave nicely or rudely. Sims often stop what they are doing if another sim starts interacting with them, so it is perhaps possible to stop them that way, The island clean state needs to be maintained, that is, to keep cleaning up and telling sims off etc. Carl's guide is pinned to this page.

Oh, and also: the fishing sign at the mentioned lot is in the world area, not the private residential lot. If you want private, place fish traps on a lot instead.

The fishing spot at Admiral's Wreckage at Mua Pelam is where I mostly see the fish poachers. What happens if you place the fish traps somewhere else, and not directly by a fishing sign?

Online Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 01:39:40 AM »
So, since this IS being done by sims with the exclamation point over their head-- robbing other people's traps is probably an intended part of their bad behavior.  The rudely ask to leave interaction should decrease relationship, and when you get enough of a red bar, you can fight them.  You might not make them stop entirely, but it will probably be satisfying to at least beat them up every time you catch them...

Anyway, the issues with people harvesting my garden-- it's never just someone randomly walking in and helping themselves.  They have to be specifically visiting my lot.  And they think they're helping, by harvesting what needs to be harvested... except that I don't get my valuable produce when they do that!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 11:40:37 AM »
This is an old thread, but I'm going to comment anyway. :D

One way to speed up travel might be to get your sim to Level 7 Wellness so they can teleport.

@Brian_Z and @FrederickFredFree
My household sims have a large garden that is fenced in with a lockable gate.
The garden is usually unlocked to allow entry by the gardener hired to come by every weekday morning.
I make a point of having my sims harvest their garden in the early morning everyday, just after 5am if they're free.
It's too early for visitors so there's no problem with visitors stealing crops.
Also, if they leave the garden unharvested and travel, the unharvested produce ends up in family inventory instead which is a major pain.

Online Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 08:34:23 PM »
They seem to have changed harvesting recently.  Used to be, if you stayed home all day, you could harvest again about every 6 hours.  Now you get the early morning harvest, and then nothing will grow until the next morning.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 10:43:59 AM »
They seem to have changed harvesting recently.  Used to be, if you stayed home all day, you could harvest again about every 6 hours.  Now you get the early morning harvest, and then nothing will grow until the next morning.
Oh, I don't believe my sims have ever been able to harvest more than once a day.
But, yeah, when the Seasons pack released, gardening changed so that plants only produce harvestables every morning at 5 am on whatever lot our sims happen to be at the time.
Of course, some crops take more than a day to mature...

anything