Author Topic: Cottage Living - First Impressions  (Read 5444 times)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Cottage Living - First Impressions
« on: July 22, 2021, 01:39:48 PM »
MrsFlynn asked me to start a first impressions thread. So here it is. I will add my first impressions after I played a bit. I can't wait to read other peoples first thoughts on this pack. Happy simming everyone.

Edited to add my first impressions. I like the pack. I love the new world. I love the lore in the new townies. While some things are tied to the town much of it can be imported to other worlds. The animal play seems repetitive but cute. Hate the black hole of a door on the animal sheds. The llamas cows and chickens are needy but that is how it should be. Over all a solid pack. B+ is the grade I give it. You all know I can be quite hard on my grading. Its patch gets am solid A.

Offline Manderley

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Cottage Living - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
I played almost all day yesterday.  I started with a brand new sim (no skills) in Cordelia's Secret Cottage.  My sim started with $25,000 and so spent $20,000 to buy the lot.  I bought one chicken to start and some seeds. Now I have one cow, one hen, one rooster and a hatchable egg in the coop. I have found it very hard.  With no charisma skill it is a lot of work to improve relationships with animals.  And if that was your main goal it seems like you would do nothing else.  I finally removed the wild fox challenge this morning cause I can't create relationships with a cow, chicken, rooster, multiple rabbits, wild birds, two bee boxes AND  random changing foxes.  I work on that and look at the time of day and it's 4pm sim time!

It is spring and I have a pretty big garden.  I worked hard to find and plant some roses to use as fertilizer and they finally bloomed this morning.  Unfortunately, before I could harvest on the second day they bloomed while I was socializing with the chicken, rooster, cow, rabbits, bees and foxes all my spring plants reverted to dirt piles.  I though this was fixed!!!  That was a real blow.  I finally harvested four heads of lettuce and it so happens that the Garden Fair was starting so I went there to enter my lettuce.  When I got there my lettuce was not in my inventory.  I can't explain that one.  While I was in town I finally took the time to try an errand with the garden lady.  She wants six regular eggs, which I have so I will bring them to her tomorrow.  I was shocked to see that it seems the only way to upgrade your animal sheds is with upgrade parts you get from doing errands.  Far as I can see right now you can't just straight up buy them.

Overall I am enjoying the pack.  I am a very experienced player and am finding it difficult.  I'm down to $1,000 and struggling to find time to improve skills.   If I had it to do over with I would not buy any animals or plant any plants until I had my basic skills up a bit.  I don't think I'd be having such a hard time if I had been more patient.  The plants reverting to dirt is almost unacceptable in a pack where gardening is a main element.  Charisma skill seems essential in this pack.  I wish they had a new skill for animal care.  I am excited to hatch a new chick although that is one more thing to develop a relationship with.  There are a lot of features of the pack I haven't tried yet because there are just so many hours in a sim day!

Those are my first impressions after about 12 hours of actual gameplay.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 12:12:17 PM »
I played a while yesterday with a new Sim and then later with an established family. I would recommend not doing the Lot Challenges Off-the-Grid and Simple Living simultaneously, at least not until you've tried Simple Living on its own. There was absolutely nothing my new Sim could cook, until she bought a couple of apples and was able to make fruit salad. I tried having her do errands. These take more time than you would think, as each time you complete one activity something else pops up. For example, Agatha Crumplebottom wants you to talk to a gnome. Okay. Then she wants you to report back to her. Done. And then she wants dessert. Cannoli from the Cafe in Windenburg doesn't work, and there doesn't seem to be anything appropriate at the pub. The errands are more like the quests from the Sims Medieval than the odd jobs from Island Living. I'm not complaining -- I plan to have a Sim go through all the errands, and I enjoy the difficulty. But don't expect them to be easy. If you have Seasons, that will add another layer of complexity, as many plants will grow only in certain seasons. You may also need clothing for your animals in winter to keep them happy.

My established Sim family seems to be doing better. They've planted some lettuce, aubergines, and pumpkins and have bought a couple of chicks. They already have a large garden, so I've stocked their refrigerator with some milk, eggs, flour, and sugar.

With regard to the patch, the daughter has helped with cooking, watered some plants, and petted the chicks. I put in a pond for them and stocked it with angelfish. Note: to fish in the pond, once you've stocked it, click on the water to fish. If you click on the sign, you just get the option to manage the pond. (Many thanks to @sdhoey for setting me straight.)

I think this pack will integrate well with my regular game (unlike Island Living and Get Famous, for example), and I can see lots of story possibilities for it, especially in combination with Realm of Magic, Seasons, and Get Together. The world is lovely, the animals are adorable, and the pre-mades are more fleshed-out than usual. As with any pack, I think your enjoyment depends largely on your play style.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
I'm really enjoying this pack, but I was pretty sure I would after watching the game changers. @MarianT  If you have a grill and have an off the grid lot, you can make fish on a stick with 2 fish. Unfortunately, it only makes 1 serving, but it's really filling for the sim and works well until you have something else to cook. I am really thankful that there's a fishing spot right outside of Cordelia's cabin. I was finally able to supply the cabin with power, but then my two generators that I was supplying with insect biofuel decided to just self-combust I guess. So that sucked, but so is life.  I have had plants reset a couple times, but it is definitely better. It would be nice though if it was completely fixed. My sim befriended a wild rabbit, and I bought a rabbit house for her lot. But I regretted it and ended up selling it because it would attract lots of rabbits. The ones she didn't have a friendship with would burrow around the plants, and I'm not sure of this, but I was wondering if that was making the plants mess up in some way. It was easier to just weed the plants with my sim than to continuously befriend random rabbits. Unfortunately, the rabbits are still coming around and staying on the lot even with the rabbit hole deleted. In the future, I will not put a rabbit hole on my Sims lot.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 12:43:17 AM »
I’ve found that if the birds or rabbits are in your home neighborhood you can befriend them and ask for garden help and they will come ono the lot without buying the tree or the rabbit house. I know what you mean about the rabbits. They seem to multiply like, uh, rabbits! I think there are five that I’ve seen so far and I’ve only had the rabbit house for two days. I like seeing the rabbits around in the garden, but I am hoping more don’t spawn.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 04:36:49 AM »
There's a couple other experiences I've had with this pack.  I typically won't just sell stuff through inventory, my sims will have yard sales, etc to sell stuff.  I noticed when you get animal clothes from rewards from villagers, that you can list on plopsy.  So, I did, and it sold for a very high amount of simoleons, over $2000, which really helped a lot. I did have to wait though, it sold on the very last day, and I was thinking that I would have to re-list it. Everyone knows about the golden chickens, but you also get the same effect of the "golden pulse" if you eat golden eggs and bacon or toast.  It lasts 3 hours.  I randomly had a regular hen lay a golden egg, I do not have a golden treat recipe yet.  Also, the fair must be rigged or bugged or something.  The 2 my sim participated in, she clearly had the best items that were visibly entered, but lost both times.  Has anyone had their sim win any of the fairs?

My sim just won the milk competition with her excellent fire milk.  She is friends with the mayor and bribed her successfully, so I'm not sure how much that factored into her victory. So, she completed the country caretaker aspiration!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »
That’s a great tip about the animal clothing. Those items can also be knitted by your Sim if you have Nifty Knitting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 12:04:47 PM »
Only participated in one fair so far.  There was one other llama, but my llama Llarry only got a participation ribbon.  And the wool was the only one that was Excellent, and only won third.  I suspect you need high friendship with the mayor, and or bribery.

Offline celticlass

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 01:51:20 PM »
I have been enjoying the new pack. The animal animations are cute if not completely realistic. The only predators for the animals are foxes? Coyotes have been making their way further south. Farmers in Tennessee started putting donkeys on their farm - even the llama farm - to protect their herds. Llamas protect sheep from smaller prey.

I love those golden chickens! The brought my normal crops to excellent very quickly. And with the help of rabbits, I have no bugs and only a few weeds. The evil chickens are supposed to protect your chickens from foxes and even the grim reaper! But my evil chicken (the only chickens I have named) was scared by the fox!  ;D What can I say? She's... chicken.  ;) And we can't sell the chickens for meat? Before a chicken dies, it can either be sold for stew meat or pet food. And chicken farms stink...honestly. Always put your coups downwind.

What about beef cows? They stand in the field, not hide in a barn. My brother raises some (usually 8) on his property every year. He gets them when weaned (usually from his in-laws who have a 600 acre farm) and makes sure they have water (as he doesn't have a creek on his property) twice a day. In winter when the grazing grass turns brown, he feeds them hay and feed corn that he either has grown on his property or trades with a neighbor so he an get chemical free feed. The hey rick and feed bins are filled twice a day until the grazing grass regrows. For only 8 cows, he doesn't need a tractor. However he did build a 16 foot tall basement (on top of his 6 bedroom, 4 bath house with an attached 2 car garage - nothing like the houses in this game pack) with a door on one end to store his tractor which he uses for hey and feed corn when he grows his own). He has used the money to finish the upstairs of his house (three bedrooms and one bath), buy his children vehicles for their 16th birthday, and pay for their university educations.

So although you won't get very rich or work nearly as hard year round playing this game pack, it does open things up for historical game play. Which is very nice. I haven't figured out where to get farm raised insects yet. I'm trying the mighty insect farms for now. See if that works. But farm grown insects are one of the things you can give your farm animals.

I can't wait to start building a medieval world again.  ;D

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 01:13:31 AM »
@celticlass The setting is in England, so coyotes aren't a thing there.  Fortunately.  As far as selling animals for meat, either Maxis didn't have the stomach for that or they were afraid the players wouldn't.
So, wait, farm-raised bugs?  This is news to me!  I'm glad they left us some things to figure out for ourselves!

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 03:10:07 AM »
@Brian_Z Actually you can trade animals for meat. So yes chickens can be raised for meat. And the bugs are from eco lifestyle and as far as I can tell, while you can eat them the animals cannot.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »
I think the core gameplay that revolves around errands is just bad game design. The hoops one has to jump through to get autofeeding chickens is absurd, and not worth it. Only the most committed country farmer, with no job, no toddler, and no pressing issues to deal with in the garden will find the time to get 6 animal upgrade parts. So if you just want to reach a point of slightly hassle free chickens, you are railroaded into errands. And those in turn will force you into umpteen other things you didn't want to get involved with, all you wanted was to upgrade a chicken coop that you have in Sulani, for example.

1. I think Cottage Living is too self-contained. It's the new shiny thing now, but when there's something else -- or when you want to do a GTW science career, or any career, or university -- the gameplay of Cottage Living will get dropped almost entirely. Being a lawyer doesn't mesh with doing errands for the mayor of Henford-on-Bagley. I don't want to do errands. I cannot stress how little I want to do multiple fetch quests, involving many differing items and time consuming tasks, for the sake of getting the chickens to not starve. Cottage Living is all-consuming and mutually exclusive of much other gameplay in a way that no other expansion is.

2. I can't think of any item / trait / rare collectible that has any value apart from the Cottage Living gameplay loop. A good example of gameplay done properly is the Unassuming Candy Jar from Paranormal stuff. Every video game is a balance between carrots and sticks: is the grind worth it? In the case of the Unassuming Candy Jar, yes. It's so useful I want it in every save. Other things worth pursuing to me in any save are Laid Back and Sulani Mana from Island Living, maybe computer glasses and the e-sports and Mental Magister traits from DU, the best mountaineering trait from Snowy Escape, Chopstick Savvy and Spice Hound are also nice badges. The GTW scientist career is very worthwhile.

I have a save in the Bramblewood (the Creature Keeper is glitched, constantly trying to plant something that won't germinate) with a golden chicken zapping my plants to perfect quality; I have a giant perfect lettuce... and I don't know why. It seems to have no purpose. Winning at the fair? This is too much busywork for collecting ribbons. There's no meaningful reward from the fair as far as I can tell. The time sink simply isn't worth it to me. In Eco Lifestyle you grind up scrap and make furniture that's actually useful, and it doesn't take so long. Having a lettuce in my fridge for 2 weeks (because the giant veggie fair is a long way in the future, that I probably won't win anyway) seems too futile, too pointless. My sim after a few sim weeks had basically progressed.. nowhere. We don't mind suffering if we're given a reason for our suffering. If the poorly designed game system led to a worthwhile in-game macguffin, I'd do it. But it doesn't seem to. Golden chickens aren't the end goal, they're a means to an end: perfect plants, and perhaps money. But this is already trivially easy for a Sulani Mana sim, and has no downside of cleaning coops or scattering feed. Eco Lifestyle has those incredibly useful vertical planters that can be upgraded to auto-water and spray bugs. So the golden chicken isn't the thing from Cottage Living I need in every save, and I don't think there is such a thing.

I think this pack relies more on the human player finding something cute, but there needs to be a stronger in-game reason to do it. I want the illness curing shower from GTW, it's better when my sims have it. So I do the career. I want the Unassuming Candy Jar, it's better when my sims have it. So I grind for that and give gifts to specters. I myself have no interest in and care nothing for mediums, and I don't think showers that cure disease are realistic either, but it make sense to do it in the videogame. It's fun. And the motivation to go for those things comes from the needs of the sims, the internal logic of the game, not the emotional reaction of the human player. Cottage Living is the reverse. It's playing to me, the human, and to what I find cute... but offers nothing for the sims, no reason for them to do any of it. This is a Problem in a Sims game.

The closest thing to a new, rare thing is the Simple Living lot challenge reward, the Sim Living Cookbook. My sims, well raised as they usually are, can usually max cooking in 2 or 3 dishes. It's already one of the easiest skills. For roleplaying, maybe the cookbook is something to go for. But as a videogame mechanic it fails. The reward is like an end-game sword that kills the weakest enemies in 1 hit... when you can already do that. There's no incentive to pursue it. If it happens, good and well, but maxing cooking has never been a struggle. This is another case of the in-game logic breaking down, appealing to the player to find something cute in our own brains -- not making something appealing or worthwhile for the sim. I think Sims 4 is best at being a video game when we're managing the needs of sims, unlocking things that help them etc., when it's basically the opposite of Cottage Living. I need to feel my sim is doing something that'll benefit him. This will be a minority opinion perhaps, but to me Cottage Living is unequivocally the worst expansion pack.

3. I didn't keep a cow or llama, but ended up with pretty much all varieties of milk and wool anyway, so there's little incentive to have one on my own lot. I never want to keep one, the animals are too needy and it eclipses better gameplay from other packs. Getting a shed or coop to the point they're less needy is also prohibitively tedious. It doesn't make me want to make the effort, it makes me not want Cottage Living animals.

There are new townies to make stories with, and that's fun. I've got an (ever so slightly more regal) cottage for Princess Cordelia on the go. The CAS and build items are well made. But I want no further part of the cows and chickens and errands.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 09:52:55 AM »
@Heart Foam Your critique is exactly the epitome of difference in sims players.  For example, simple living isn't exciting to me because of a cookbook, it's exciting because of the challenge.  Also, I don't see how the animals are that needy.  I mean I guess if you go collect eggs, shear, and milk every single time your able to, it can seem that way, but my single sim was able to collect eggs and milk, clean if necessary, give the animals a hug, nuture insects and collect their bio fuel, load the generators, and it may be noon.  Then which she worked on villager quests and made flower arrangements, needs on, no cheats, fresh sim from cas.  Now, I will also admit that I am much better at handling sims needs than most players, in my experience watching others play. 
I can't fathom why chicken coops that give your sims eggs to cook with could possible that big of a deal to spend 10 sim minutes scattering some feed completely worthless just because you don't want to do some quests.  I admit, the quests get repetitive, I don't think it's an end goal to do quests.  For you, maybe this game play won't relate to a politician, scientist, etc.  For me, it will 100% will.  I seriously doubt I will ever have a save without chickens or using the simple living lot traits, that's how much it goes into my game play.  I love unlocking things, I love selling stuff on my own, and more than anything I love a struggle.
Also, to compare sulani mana with golden pulse, is like a battle of a squirrel and a cheetah.  Sulani Mana has nothing on golden pulse.  It's restricted to once a day and it only brings one plant up one level.  While golden pulse will immediately make your plants perfect, several plants. I guess some sees that as op, but it involves more game play than giving your sim a trait and calling on some ghosts.  You don't even have to go through the process of making them human, you can just choose a particular social to move them in, and poof not dead. 
I'm sorry, but to say that this, Cottage Living, is the worst expansion.  People need to hear a different opinion to yours, because imo, it's the best.  I don't have that opinion because it's shiny and new because honestly, if I was asked that question before this pack came out, I don't even have an answer.  I'd probably say, spa day, which isn't even an expansion.  I really liked the game play of eco lifestyle, the seasons are well done, and I always like an university experience.  However, I'm finally able to name my favorite pack, and it's Cottage Living, and it's not even close.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 06:01:12 AM »
I manage my sims needs very well too. It's a needs management game, and it's not difficult. And I like a challenge, I don't mind a grind at all if it's worth it. When my fridge is full of milk and eggs already, the reason and energy to keep going to the coop to get more eggs has vanished. I can order eggs. Like I said above, you can get the rare milks and wools and eggs without actually having the animals.

I fully accept some people enjoy this expansion, and I partly understand why this pack in particular might be their favourite. It's the modern day deliberate pastoral elegy of Milton or Shelley. Many people don't use Sims games like video games, but as vehicles for stories, or for projecting themselves into an idealised world where they're in control and accepted. In that scenario, Cottage Living is better.  That's all well and good, and people play out fantasies. This is not a new thing that humans suddenly do, we've always done it. Sometimes it's healthy, sometimes not. But as a video game of carrots and sticks, I think Cottage Living objectively fails because there's not a strong enough incentive to use its main features. There are more (and needless) obstacles put in the way of upgrading a cow shed than a rocket ship. It's appeal isn't in how robust or coherent the game mechanics are, but the idyll.

I look at a long-running, completionist save I've got going back to 2014 on the Landgraab lot. I ask myself what item or trait do they need from Cottage Living. If I open that save up again, what's the useful or interesting collectible that would make it worthwhile for them to get a cow or chicken? And there's nothing that makes it worthwhile. When you've got a secret agent and a mixologist and a llama and a cow... at some point I'll realise the cow and the llama and chickens add nothing. It's complexity for it's own sake. The secret agent will get the sexy turtleneck, the mixologist will hopefully get Snaggle Fluster. These are small goals, but it's the motivation to do the careers. I love unlocking stuff, there's a feeling of progression. What's the special thing in Cottage Living that I want to unlock? I've won the pie competition. I got a bonsai bud and a ribbon.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 08:08:00 AM »
I do want to thank @Heart Foam. I had no idea that the Lot Challenges offered rewards (or at least, Simple Living), or that the shower from the Scientist career could cure illness or that there was an interesting candy jar in Paranormal. And that might explain why I like Cottage Living. I enjoy quest games, but after a while I get tired of finding the key that goes in the next lock so I can get the key that will go in the lock after that. When you get down to it, the rewards are not really worth it. I think for me, the reward in the Sims is the next generation -- that baby that will become a toddler, then a child, etc. And all the shiny new stuff just adds to their playground. Cottage Living adds a lot to that playground. I'm playing 10 families in rotation. My current family just got a llama, brought back from archaeologist dad's trip to Selvadorada. In another family, the kid is going to go and befriend a bunny, and a third definitely has chickens in its future.

I look upon expansion packs as either adding to my regular game or offering a side game, or both. By side game, I mean something where I concentrate on one Sim to the exclusion of others -- a quest. Strangerville is the most obvious example of a side game, but running a restaurant or even an active career is another. Dine Out is one of my favorite packs because it provided both -- restaurants for my Sims to have dates at and a fairly good side game if that's what I want. It took me a while to figure out what the side game in Cottage Living is, but for me it's running the errands for the villagers. I do have a save where my single Sim is doing that, and so far it's been enjoyable. The errands remind me a little of the quests in the Sims Medieval.

Anyway, I think that you can play the Sims as a series of quests, but I think it's more satisfying when you don't worry too much about the rewards.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.