Author Topic: Computer recommendation $500-800  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Icemodeled

• Nooboo
Computer recommendation $500-800
« on: May 21, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »
Hi, looking to replace my old computer(full of viruses now) with a new one(desktop). I have done some research but am still lost on all the technical things like graphics cards, processors though it seems I need at least 8 RAM. So hoping for some advice. I'm a light user, rarely use CC or mods and I don't mind it not being on ultra high graphic settings. Medium setting is fine really. I definitely don't want it to lag any. I have about only half of all the packs right now. Only other games played are roller coaster tycoon. Ideally hoping to spend $500-800 range.. can I find something decent for this price? What is the most affordable option that still plays well? I could go up some in budget, but hoping not to. I plan to visit best buy soon and would like some ideas what is best for me if anyone could offer some insight.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Computer recommendation $500-800
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
Here are a couple of desktops to consider.

iBUYPOWER - Trace MR Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB - 240GB SSD
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-trace-mr-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-550-2gb-240gb-ssd/6463680.p?skuId=6463680
Price: $729.99

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Master Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 3 3100 - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 570 - 1TB HDD + 240GB SSD
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-3-3100-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-570-1tb-hdd-240gb-ssd/6430866.p?skuId=6430866
Price: $649.99

If you would like a second opinion, please head over to AHQ Sims 4 Tech Help Board to ask about computers over there.

AHQ's Sims 4 Tech Help Board:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

Sign in with your EA account, click the New Topic button, up near the top of the board, to make a new post.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »
I have had both CyberPower and IBuyPower computers and they both worked great with Sims.  I am an Intel person though, so my preferences are i7 - 8GB memory + a good graphics card.  For the graphics card, I buy the best one that still lands within the budget.  Since all of my personal files are in the cloud except for what has to be on the hard drive, so I don't worry too much about HDD/SSD.  Last computer I bought was the beginning of last year and I haven't looked at what is out currently.  Good luck!
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Icemodeled

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »
Thank you for the replies! So best buy doesn't seem to have anything in stock and even Amazon doesn't have these desktops available. I think I'll stick with finding an option on Amazon (since their return policy is so easy). What are your thoughts on this one..

2021 Newest HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop Computer, AMD 6-Core Ryzen 5 3500 Processor(Beat i5-9400, Upto 4.1GHz), GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4 GB, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD,Mouse and Keyboard, Win 10 Home $774

Or any other ideas especially any cheaper options? Should I only look at computers that are labeled "gaming" or could non gaming computers have good enough specs also?

Maybe a silly question but are there cons to a gaming computer? Can you do everything else with a gaming computer like school work, photo and file storage and anything else that is normal computer use? My husband is working on a certification program and will need to use it for that also.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »
Maybe a silly question but are there cons to a gaming computer? Can you do everything else with a gaming computer like school work, photo and file storage and anything else that is normal computer use? My husband is working on a certification program and will need to use it for that also.

No cons at all. Gaming is at the height of a computer's ability, so anything that requires less from a computer — i.e. your schoolwork, web browsing, etc will be handled in the blink of an eye on a gaming rig.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
The HP should run Sims 4 just fine. The only thing I see of some concern is that it seems like it only has the one hard drive. However, you can add a new hard drive later if you need more space for your data. Specially if you're anything like me and like to back up your Sims files, photos, videos and stuff like that.

I am not able to find anything cheaper that I feel good about recommending.

Not a silly question. You can do anything with a gaming computer that you can do with a "normal" computer.  The difference between a "normal" computer and a gaming computer is that a gaming computer is made with playing games in mind. Where "normal" computers really aren't. They sometimes lack the power, dedicated video card or both.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Icemodeled

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 11:27:35 AM »
So appreciate all the answers!! Ok so I found an iBuyPower computer on Amazon. Also, husband found a Dell computer and I'll put it below to. Between these two and the HP.. which seems best for the money? They all seem like they'll work?.. so just curious if one is better over another.

iBUYPOWER Gaming PC Computer Desktop Element Mini 9300 (AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6GHz, AMD Radeon RX 550 2GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 240GB SSD, Wi-Fi Ready, Windows 10 Home)
$619

Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Hexa-Core i5-10400 up to 4.3GHz (Beat i7-8700), NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 2GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, WiFi, VGA, Windows 10, Black
$729

2021 Newest HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop Computer, AMD 6-Core Ryzen 5 3500 Processor(Beat i5-9400, Upto 4.1GHz), GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4 GB, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD,Mouse and Keyboard, Win 10 Home
$774

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:55:41 AM »
Out of all of them I still recommend the HP Pavilion due to It's got the best video card, processor and SSD for the money.

The IBuy power is okay, not something I'd recommend, due to the small size of the SSD. It's very much recommended to have a 256GB or an additional hard drive of 1TB or bigger for data space.

The reason being is Windows will take up quite a bit of space, and then you've got other software you'll want to install and then find you don't have enough to be able to store your data on the same drive.

I had this happen to me when we tried working with a small SSD.

I would not recommend the Dell system because of the graphics card isn't really made for good gaming.

Offline Icemodeled

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 12:32:18 PM »
Thank you so much for all the input!! Ordering the HP pavilion today and so excited for it to arrive.

Curious, do you use any type of antivirus protection? I try to be very careful but I think my old computer ended up with a virus from downloading custom content off of websites. Not entirely sure but problems began sometime after I started doing this. I'm much more cautious now and actually try to avoid it because I'm so worried it'll happen again. Since that began the computer deteriorated basically and using it become much harder. So, I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a monthly antivirus program or if windows defender may be enough and I just need to stay away from downloads.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 12:42:40 PM »
The recommendation is Windows Defender (free) and MalwareBytes (Paid), but that's optional service.   

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 01:35:28 PM »
I use/pay for Panda and have liked it, not had any trouble with it.  They also have a free version if you want to try it out.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

anything