Author Topic: 2021 Mid-Season Major: Pam's Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge  (Read 13948 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
2021 Mid-Season Major: Pam's Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge
« on: April 29, 2021, 07:14:20 PM »
Pam's Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge

Goal
On February 12th, we lost our dear Pam. Her importance for this forum cannot be understated. Her Sims 3 Dreamweaver Dynasty was a masterpiece, and it was Carl and Pam that penned the original Baby Boomer rule set 12 years ago. We're honoring Pam Marsden by tagging her name to Baby Boomer. Pam and her wonderful Southern drawl would say, "Y'all jump in and have fun."

General Challenge Rules

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Create 2 Young Adult married Sims — Human, Alien, or Mermaid. No changing life states.
  • One parent must stay at home while the other earns the money. The money earner must immediately pursue a job — freelance careers or standard rabbit-hole careers are fine. Changing careers is also fine, but the career parent must always be working.
    • The stay at home parent must choose a Family Aspiration as well as get the Family Oriented trait and cannot pursue a career, although any way they can help make money is allowed.
    • No adoption allowed. No household additions aside from the children of your two starting Sims.
    • No moving and no traveling allowed.
    • Clubs are banned.
    • Lot traits and Tiny Lots are banned.
    • Custom made holidays are banned.
    • The Wishing Well and Celestial Crystal Crown are banned.
    • When children reach Young Adults they are to be removed immediately: 1) Have them use their phone...Travel > Split from Household to Move > Click Cancel Moving after you're at the World Screen.
    • Offspring may be aged up early (see qualifications below), but no Sims can have their life extended.
    • You are allowed to use the Buydebug cheat for the sole purpose of purchasing a satellite to prevent abductions.
    • This challenge concludes at Week 5, Day 1, 8 AM.

Aging Up Kids
    • A Baby may only be aged up early if both parents are Good Friends with the baby.
    • You may only age up a Toddler early if they are potty trained and have lvl 2 in all skills.
    • You may only age up a Child early if they have finished an Aspiration and have a B school average.
    • You may only age up a Teen early if they have a B school average, lvl 2 at a teen job, and a BFF.

Scoring

Young Adults (moved out + Time) — At Week 5, Day 1, 8 am, go to the Simology tab of one of your parents and view the Genealogy button at the top. Count all children under your parents and then award yourself 1600 points for all Young Adults moved out.

(Time) — In the event of ties, please also include the minutes it took to remove your first Young Adult offspring from the household using Lena's Spreadsheet.

Remaining Children — For all remaining children in the household award yourself the following:

• Infant: 100 points
    • Toddler: 200 points
    • Child: 400 points
    • Teen: 800 Points

Total — Add your score from Young Adults moved out and Remaining Children together for your Total.

Ch-Ch-Changes
    The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we may ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
    If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread, or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
    After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event. The winner is expected to provide detailed information on their strategy. Keep notes as you play your file.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Young Adults (moved out + Time)     Remaining Children     Total
    Nikitachi17600120018800
    GlazeyLady16000 (13.431k)160017600
    LenaLJ14400 (14.433k)60015000
    mismck14400 (16.671k)50014900
    Nelleam1280060013400
    Nandarelle12800 (15.671k)40013200
    Heather302811200 (13.482k)140012600
    Eighty8Keys9600 (16.290k)280012400
    SueDenim11200120012400
    Metropolis Man9600 (15.714k)160011200
    CynKuy9600140011000
    Teresa8000 (17.730k)240010400
    PinkyPanda8000220010200
    arrowonfire8000 (23.629k)18009800
    jesslc960009600
    rokrchik800014009400
    math_chick8000 (16.843k)12009200
    Delokkpsi640018008200
    Alexandra884800 (29.644k)21006900
    Maidenfine480020006800
    GreybeardLXIV480014006200

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Pam's Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 07:17:23 PM »
5/1 — Added some bans...

• Clubs are banned.

I'm posting this a little earlier than usual. It's a very important event — not just that it's a Major, but for me at least, it's all about Pam. We tried to keep this as close as possible to the original, but needed a few changes. Not many. All suggestions are welcome, but keep that in mind. We do not want to sway far from the original.

Let's really go for max participation in this one. Even if you can only put in one week and post a nominal score — great. Post it. Do it for Pam.

Have fun, everyone. Make some babies.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
To keep it as close to original as possible, I'd suggest banning things that came with the expansion packs, like clubs and tiny lots (and probably more...) Banning new stuff doesn't look like rule changing to me - it's, on the contrary, making it look more like the original. Otherwise, the gameplay is too easy with all that new stuff. And, in my humble opinion, even given the fact that this particular challenge has a huge reason to have certain rules - it still shouldn't be too easy. It's a major, after all.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
To keep it as close to original as possible, I'd suggest banning things that came with the expansion packs, like clubs and tiny lots (and probably more...)

Offer up a complete list if you'd like.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 11:42:23 AM »
To keep it as close to original as possible, I'd suggest banning things that came with the expansion packs, like clubs and tiny lots (and probably more...)

Offer up a complete list if you'd like.

I'd rather like other players to share their opinion as well... As for me, I'd definitely ban clubs, tiny lots and lot traits. And, probably, the Parenting ability of filling the child's needs (not sure how it's called).

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 01:06:32 PM »
So happy you chose Pam's Dreamweavers screenshot to illustrate this.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 09:20:34 AM »
What a wonderful idea to have a memorial challenge for Pam.
(I actually found myself thinking of her yesterday - not sure what triggered my mind, I may have seen the name Pam somewhere.)

I do agree with Nikitachi on banning expansion pack-based 'tricks'. Custom made holidays and the crystal crown also come to mind.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 09:46:23 AM »
Added new bans...

• Clubs are banned.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 03:06:31 PM »
I clarified the working parent's role a bit from a question I received...

• One parent must stay at home while the other earns the money. The money earner must immediately pursue a job — freelance careers or standard rabbit-hole careers are fine. Changing careers is also fine, but the career parent must always be working.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
Re: 2021 Mid-Season Major: Pam's Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 04:09:02 AM »

I think I need more clarification now...
- Did I understand correctly that the money earner's very first thing to do after the game starts MUST be joining a career?
- Can the money earner take a day off?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 06:10:33 AM »

I think I need more clarification now...
- Did I understand correctly that the money earner's very first thing to do after the game starts MUST be joining a career?
- Can the money earner take a day off?

Yes, the money earner must immediately join a career. You'll have days off naturally as part of any career, so no additional days off aside from those.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 11:53:18 AM »
Can the career be ones where you can choose to work at home or is the point that you have one parent working away from the home to make things more difficult.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »
Can the career be ones where you can choose to work at home or is the point that you have one parent working away from the home to make things more difficult.

Rachel

Since freelance careers are okay, I think ones where you can go to work or work from home would be okay, too. But you have to do either, no extra time off.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 04:53:01 PM »
No moving and no traveling allowed.

What falls under traveling here?
No loading screens at all? No leaving the world (e.g. Willow Creek)? No going on vacation?

Thanks

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
No moving and no traveling allowed.

What falls under traveling here?
No loading screens at all? No leaving the world (e.g. Willow Creek)? No going on vacation?

Thanks

I do not see going to different worlds as anything that would give someone a big advantage. All you're trying to do is get as many YA out of the house as possible and you can do that in any world. But, if you look at the original Sims 3 rules I interpret traveling to mean vacations.

anything