Author Topic: Townie Skill-a-Thon  (Read 41358 times)

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Townie Skill-a-Thon
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »
@Nikitachi - ooooh, by your multiplier I reckon our strategies were very similar, or at least took us to much the same places. It'll be interesting to see how our approaches compare to one another, and you have now assured me that what I did was not utterly abstruse!

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »
My sim ventured through 22 homes (including her own) and thereby maxing 22 skills.
Including herself that was 95 maxed skills.

So total score is 2200 x 1,95 = 4290

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »
My Sim, Aagje Weetikveel, managed to max 21 skills.
There were 88 times when someone had a skill maxed.
And there were no fires.

2100 x 1.88 = 3948

Offline duskcheetah

• Nooboo
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »
Anyone know what time tonight the challenge will close? I'm desperately trying to finish the last week of my run.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »
Anyone know what time tonight the challenge will close? I'm desperately trying to finish the last week of my run.

Challenges always end at midnight in your time zone. Your score has to be posted before then.

Offline duskcheetah

• Nooboo
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:03 PM »
I don't think I'm going to hit the end of week 3 before midnight local time. Is it possible for my score to be accepted with the skills that I have completed so far? (I think there's someone above who was in a similar situation.)

I currently have 10 skills completed with a multiplier of 1.41 for a score of 1410.

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2020, 10:29:24 PM »
Checking in from Portland, OR. This took longer than I expected and I was worried I wouldn't finish in time, but finished with under five hours to spare.

Households/Skills: 10 x 100 = 1000
Household Multiplier: 1.42
Total Score: 1420

It was really fun to actually be a member of all the townies households instead of just a visitor. In my opinion, this ranks right up there with the baby boomer challenges, which are typically my favorites. Great job team!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2020, 12:26:40 AM »
I had fun with the challenge, as always. Unfortunately, the timing (on my real life) is not great and I don't think I can finish it in time. My sim is at her Week 3 day 5, almost finish. Would the team mind to accept my score at this point? If yes, 16 skills have been maxed with a multiplier of 1.63 = 2,608.

I really hope I can use this score as I want to participate. I couldn't join the next one because I don't have vampire, so this would mean a lot, pleaseee ;D.

Mine got to Wednesday week 1 and they counted it :P

The main issue would be if you went to Monday Week 4 or similar.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2020, 05:40:49 AM »
This event is now closed. Congratulations to Sruixan for the big win -- 25 participants. I am very happy with that -- that's more than the first event, so maybe growing numbers will continue throughout the year. :) Everyone is now free to post how they approached this event.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2020, 06:42:01 AM »
Congratulations to Sruixan! Can't wait to hear how you did it.

And everyone - please tell us about your fires! I want to know what I missed out on.

Personally I would have scored higher had I not mysteriously missed purchasing one of the skilling club perks. Even while in that household I was thinking "huh singing takes a lot longer than other skills" but didn't twig until later. I lost 24 hours this way, it wouldn't have improved my ranking but I'm miffed to have made such an obvious mistake. Worse is that I have sensitivity to noise so hearing three or four different songs at the same time was rather uncomfortable (yes I eventually remembered I could mute it).

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2020, 08:05:47 AM »
I had fun with the challenge, as always. Unfortunately, the timing (on my real life) is not great and I don't think I can finish it in time. My sim is at her Week 3 day 5, almost finish. Would the team mind to accept my score at this point? If yes, 16 skills have been maxed with a multiplier of 1.63 = 2,608.

I really hope I can use this score as I want to participate. I couldn't join the next one because I don't have vampire, so this would mean a lot, pleaseee ;D.

Weeeeeell....since you said please. ;)

Thank you so much :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2020, 05:44:58 PM »
@Sruixan - I sent you a PM, but maybe you did not see it. Winners of events are always expected to post their strategy very shortly after I close an event. Maybe you did not know that.

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
Congrats everyone on the great scores and congrats to Sruixan for the win! Looking forward to reading everyone's strategies and what townies they used.

The mystery fire that I had on an object I didn't know would go on fire, was the portable bar! I guess when one of my household's sims was practicing her bar tricks, and spewing out all that fire, she lit the bar on fire. Never, ever had that happen before. It was hilarious. Seltzer water anyone?

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
Sorry, I didn't think I would be holding people up! I saw your PM, but I've been away from my computer pretty much all day, browsing on my phone on occasion (so yeah, if you saw me online, technically I was!), and though I started on a reply I got interrupted in writing it so many times I eventually just gave up. I kept a pretty rambly set of notes that do arguably serve as a full write-up, but I fully intended to do a strategy summary as well... and should probably have prepared it beforehand! Still, give me an hour or so...

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »
...with emphasis on the "or so"...

First off, I'm flattered by the congratulations - I know I've a tendency to overdo/overthink things like this, but given my relative lack of experience I was pretty sure someone else was gonna pip me to the post! Anyway, time to talk strategy - the spoiler contains some general babbling on my overall approach, planning and the first skill-and-a-half, and below it there's a lightly-notated summary of my progression that I might try formatting a bit better tomorrow:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(tl;dr - club perk skill boosts, Rally The Troops, photography for friendship at first then reputation, and a carefully curated list of household/skill combinations)

Bhattacharya - Charisma - 25 hours [see spoiler: charisma's highly ubiquitous]
Bheeda - Cooking - 16 hours [capitalising on Jesminder while it's still a two-person household]
Spencer-Kim-Lewis - Vampire Lore - 14 hours [a skill for all ages before Dennis and Vivian pop their clogs]
Rasoya - Gourmet Cooking - 11 hours [Geeta's too valuable to lose]
Roomies - Photography - 5 1/2 hours [to get Skylar's photography skill past level 2 so he could make more good friends]
Villareal - Bowling - 10 hours [Max and Jacques got some father-son bonding in before he snuffed it]
Caliente - Fitness - 34 hours [deliberately visited gyms beforehand until the game made Don a trainer, then had him mentor everyone - I've never had so many pulled muscles though!]
[oh and this is where the "fire" happened too so well done Dina for putting it out]
Partihaus - Dancing - 12 hours [Skylar had dated Marcus and they became BFFs here, thus completing Friend Of The World to stop relationship decay]
[it was also this point that I both pivoted towards hitting fame hard and decided that Marcus wasn't good enough for Skylar]
Karaoke Legends - Singing - 24 hours [I can only apologise to Darling for making her drag a racoon into the apartment because I thought he might be cute]
[he wasn't]
Eclectic Arts - Painting - 28 hours + 7 hours "admin" [painting for fame: Skylar took his sketchpad and easel everywhere else subsequently]
[because I couldn't put paintings on walls, he created them on his sketchpad then placed them on the easel (positioned well away from the skilling) to sell them]
[that "admin" was Skylar scoping out the 8 Bells bar for hot (soon to be ex-)military husband material]
Feng - Logic - 21 hours [thank you Lily for your level 9 logic and unflappable demeanour when faced with clout-chasers]
Bjergsen - Video Gaming - 29 hours [see spoiler for more, but in short: Elsa starts with maxed mental and GeekCon was on]
Roswell - Handiness - 32 hours + 1 1/2 hours of *actual* admin [this was A Big Mistake but ah well]
Lobo - Comedy - 9 hours [Diego's level 8 was too good to pass up but also, uh, see spoiler]
BFFs - Rocket Science - 32 1/2 hours [both crashes came courtesy Liberty, the game's only actual astronaut]
Ngata - Fishing - 33 hours [I think Sulani sims age up a little earlier than those in other worlds? No complaints, mind!]
[oh and Skylar Bhattacharya and Brady Zeigler were joined in unholy matrimony at the San Myshuno Romance Festival blah-de-blah I legitimately only did it then for the fame]
Goth - Violin - 28 hours [this is when I first started getting particular about moodlet optimisation... not that it helped]
Landgraab - Mischief - 9 1/2 hours [see spoiler, but the Humor And Hijinks festival was on]
Erwin - Media Production - 12 hours [the four-person household the game generated for Rio Verde]
Corbett - Baking - 15 hours [the four-person household the game generated for Oakenstead]
[this was when I asked about counters because seeing the upstairs bathrooms gave me mild anxiety pangs]
[it was either additional counters or blocking all access indoors with Yum Cookers and Anti-Goblin beds, anyway]
Valencia - Selvadorian Culture - 2 hours + 1 hour admin [the four-person household the game generated for Umbrage Manor, though Skylar never set foot inside it]
Bailey-Moon - Guitar - 23 hours [the straw that broke the camel's back re: moodlet frustration, and also a good argument for cultivating fame]
Jang - Piano - 25 hours [I did not think I could fit three grand pianos in this apartment. I was wrong]
Munch - Mixology - 21 hours [I think Skylar's fame helped here: see spoiler]
Benali - Writing - 19 hours [likewise]
Straud - Pipe Organ - 4 hours [in actuality, Skylar immediately bailed to belatedly consummate his marriage]
[Vlad did not approve, but he did contribute 0.01 to the multiplier and that's all that matters]

(the multiplier maths therefore works out as ((1*2 + 2*4 + 3*7 + 4*10 + 5*1) + 1 + 25)/100 = +1.02, for the record)

Do ask if you've got any questions - I do have a full batch of notes that, in a similar fashion to the above, start out serious but end up mostly irreverent and not entirely interpretable, along with some more screenshots. I did try to printscreen a lot of the moments where Skylar moved households, and remembered on most occasions, but in retrospect I'm not sure why I did so... unless folks want me to spam them, I suppose...