Author Topic: Making Money in 2020: 20 Days, 20 Ways  (Read 26232 times)

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
Re: Making Money in 2020: 20 Days, 20 Ways
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2020, 06:49:39 AM »
Nikitachi had an amazing score in this one...not just a little more money to secure the win, but leaps and bounds in front of everyone else. Well done.

It's too early to congratulate me, since, as I said, I am not sure whether I did a legal thing in this challenge. Usually I always ask the team, but this time I was playing on the very last day, so I could not wait for the answers.
If I broke the rules, then please remove my score and mark me as DNF, if possible.

Actually, for my strategy, it didn't really matter what do you use to earn money in 19 days of 20. The only day that matters is the last one, and it brought me over 2 million.
My trick was growing Money trees. I bought the first one from the rewards store (5,000 Satisfaction points) in the beginning of the game, as soon as I could, and planted it. When it gave fruits, I didn't gather them (because this results in instant money), but instead I put the whole tree into Family inventory. When you do this, it automatically turns into a separate tree and 5 new Money tree seeds. Then you just put the tree back and plant the seeds, waiting for all these to grow, and then repeat and repeat... Also, I caught some good fish to fertilize and speed things up. I ended up with the whole lot covered in Money trees and finally let my sim collect all the grown fruits on Day 20.

Since I didn't get any simoleons while planting and growing the trees, I considered it to be okay. Specifically:
You choose 20 unique ways to make money, and you do them each for 1 day only.
The way was "gathering money tree fruits", and I only did this on Day 20. On other days, I just put the trees in the inventory which I consider to be another activity.

However you choose to make money each day, that is the ONLY thing you can do to get money that day.
I only got money from money tree fruits on Day 20. On other days, these activities gave me 0 simoleons.

Items you make or collect to sell must be made/collected and sold on the same 1 day, and that is the only day you can do that activity.
Technically, with Money tree fruits, you can't collect (aka gather) the fruits with sim's hands and choose whether to store or sell - they turn into money automatically. So, on other days, I didn't really collect the fruits, and even if I did by using the family inventory, I wasn't going to ever sell these fruits - I was only going to plang them.

Thus being known, I am now awaiting for the team's verdict.
Anyway, it was great to try this method!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2020, 07:02:51 AM »
A very interesting strategy, Nikitachi. Seems okay to me. This was GlazeyLady's event - she wrote the ruleset and mostly answered questions, so she should hop in and sign off on your money tree strategy too.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 07:11:28 AM »
I looked at old PMs from other players and saw a similar thing that Vesper asked...

are we allowed to buy money trees with satisfaction points and if so are we allowed to put them into household inventory so they multiply? 

Putting then in inventory is a harvesting activity; it just gives you seeds instead of money bags. So if you do it, you would only be able to sell those seeds on your harvest- snd- sell day. You wouldn't be able to plant them.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 07:22:02 AM »
Ah, so it's a DNF :D That is great proof of why it's so important to keep threads open and have questions asked for everyone to see!

Then, I am really looking forward to hearing Isabelalabe's strategy! :D I have no idea how to earn that much without what I did.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 07:25:48 AM »
Ah, so it's a DNF :D That is great proof of why it's so important to keep threads open and have questions asked for everyone to see!

Then, I am really looking forward to hearing Isabelalabe's strategy! :D I have no idea how to earn that much without what I did.

I still want Glazey to come in and make an official ruling before I change the leaderboard. And yes, you're right about the importance of keeping threads always open. Lesson learned.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »
I still want Glazey to come in and make an official ruling before I change the leaderboard. And yes, you're right about the importance of keeping threads always open. Lesson learned.

Just to make sure: is it not possible to amend my score to what I earned up to Day 19?
I know that we usually just put DNF for any rule breaching, but in this case, we can easily remove my mistake from the total count, as I kept track of what I earned day by day.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 08:33:57 AM »

I am sorry @Nikitachi , but, yes, we did disallow this in the quote @Metropolis Man posted that was in answer to @Vesper.  Putting the trees in inventory essentially harvests them. 

I agree that we need to keep the threads open so everyone is getting the same explanation and all are playing by the same rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »

Just to make sure: is it not possible to amend my score to what I earned up to Day 19?
I know that we usually just put DNF for any rule breaching, but in this case, we can easily remove my mistake from the total count, as I kept track of what I earned day by day.

Again, I will defer to Glazey to see if she feels a day 19 total would be valid.

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »

I am sorry @Nikitachi , but, yes, we did disallow this in the quote @Metropolis Man posted that was in answer to @Vesper.  Putting the trees in inventory essentially harvests them. 

I agree that we need to keep the threads open so everyone is getting the same explanation and all are playing by the same rules.

Just to add to this, not all would ask this kind of question in the thread but rather by PM, so that they dont share their winning strat with others.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2020, 08:47:07 AM »

Again, I will defer to Glazey to see if she feels a day 19 total would be valid.

I think that sounds like a good solution - I can't think of any reason that would be not fair to others, so go ahead and post your score from Day 19.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 08:58:45 AM »
I think that sounds like a good solution - I can't think of any reason that would be not fair to others, so go ahead and post your score from Day 19.

Thank you!
My sim finished day 19 with a score of 654,871 simoleons.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2020, 09:06:16 AM »
I am curious as to what methods everyone used.  The only thing I found that made any amount of consequence was taking photos, and that gave me ~80k.  Just about everything else I tried was piddles (I didn't test beforehand, just made a list of activities I thought would make money)
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2020, 09:20:30 AM »

Thank you!
My sim finished day 19 with a score of 654,871 simoleons.

Okay, thank you, Nikitachi. I will adjust the scoreboard.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
Am so glad you got to post a score Nikitachi.

I used last years' challenge on making money in different ways and many other tournament challenges to research profitable activities.

My biggest money maker was asking for loans which netted 140,500. Spent a lot of time on days with low earners making good friends and getting friend of the world aspiration so on loans day there were lots of donors. Found out I needn't have made so many friends as at that stage cheerful intro made them like my sim enough for both loans, so could have spent that time better.

Second money maker was painting on digital pad (thanks Carl for releasing a guide as the challenge started) - 121353. Levelled up by graffiting on low gain days, on photo day posted lots of them to simstagram until fame level 3 that gives the perk to sell for more (though getting famous another way would have gained more photo money maybe). Plus the usual aspiration rewards.

Third most profitable was running a store selling expensive sculptures - 105818. Ran the store two days previously selling meals and gourmet meals which wasn't profitable but earned cheap restocking perk that made this more profitable.

Fourth was hosting incognito costume parties and selling the rewards - 99425. I held eight gold parties (reward is spaceship jungle gym and llama sculpture) and one bronze (one compliment costume away from gold but it was 07:55). Unfortunately I had made so many friends that I didn't remember who was a vampire so lost one to a daylight party but luckily it didn't slow things down.

Holiday gnomes and selling seed packets - 52765. Bought the cheapest gnome in batches of five and appeased with coffee and continued until holiday ended at 2am. Could have earned more if I had made the following day a gnome holiday too but felt it too risky as I may have forgotten to stop at 8am.

Woodworking - 51772. The sculpture from campgrounds.

Swiping and selling 32000. In a previous thieving tournament challenge someone revealed that you don't need to be a klepto or have high mischief to steal if you make it a club activity so this was done on the first day adding Bella Goth to the club then robbing her violin, Vivian Lewis then stealing her computer, then  a Landgraab and stealing their computer. This also gave lots of time during the eight hour cool downs for skilling and befriending. I also wooed Mila Munch (single and in Good Timers which I joined and took over first thing) for happiness boosts for marriage etc.

Photography 30225. Could have been a lot more but was using it to make friends and gain fame too.

Would be interested to see if other people had a similar experience. Anyone fit in more than nine parties? I reckon it could be done.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
Second money maker was painting on digital pad (thanks Carl for releasing a guide as the challenge started) - 121353.

I know! I saw that on Carl's YouTube channel and was like...oh, heck ya.

anything