Author Topic: 2020 Sims 4 Challenge Tournament Overview  (Read 28133 times)

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
Re: 2020 Sims 4 Challenge Tournament Overview
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:32 PM »
My opinion - I would rather the threads be open for questions.  I will admit that while I would love to end a challenge at the top of the leader board, my primary goal is to just finish the challenge and have a score to submit.  I learn so much from the other players in these challenges.  So, I am not playing to win the prize, therefore it doesn't matter to me if I give someone an idea on how to play.  And, just because I see something that gives me an idea of someone else's strategy, I am probably still going to play it my way (which means my scores will generally always be on the lower end).  I understand that others may be a little more competitive, but I like the idea of sharing the knowledge, or at least seeing the questions and answers posted as they come up.

And just to say it - I love the tournament, even if I don't participate as much as I would like.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »
I'll be honest, when I saw the Team had locked the Challenge threads to prevent strategy discussion, it made me a little sad, I've always enjoyed chatting with people in the Challenge threads and I really miss that. Like @Metropolis Man said, we are one big happy family here and I feel the Teams decision to lock the threads takes away from that.

If people want to reveal strategies in the threads then I feel that should be up to them and if other people can learn from those ideas then I don't see that as being a bad thing, quite the opposite actually, I think it would help a few new players out. Besides it's not like people don't learn from strategies anyway, while I do come up with my own ideas, I also use strategies from past challenges too and I know I'm not the only person to do so.

I personally feel that all this secrecy is unnecessary and I don't like it, I've been wanting to say something about it for a while now so I'm glad the Team bought this up.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:52 AM »
I, too, vote for the open questions in the threads. I don't mind if someone sees something useful for them in my question (because hey, I can also see something for myself in the others' ones!) Also, I think it will help preventing quite a lot of mistakes that can be made due to not understanding some rule as intended.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 06:52:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Hey, we're all human, right? Put the blame on me for the thread locking. :) Thankfully, we'll move forward with a much different approach.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »
hope I'm not too late. I also would like the threads to be open for questions and that we shouldn't worry too much about strategy being revealed. It adds to the excitement building up to the challenges and makes it more social.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 05:07:37 PM »
Thanks, Vesper. :)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 06:40:28 AM »
My Sim got abducted by Aliens in the first Tournament Challenge (Great start to the Tournament!) and after sending a private message to the Challenge Team, I was allowed to purchase a Satellite Dish. I'm wondering if we are allowed to do this for all challenges, I can't find any ruling on it, so I'm assuming we can, but I thought I'd ask here just in case.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 07:14:52 AM »
I was under the impression that private lot trait helped prevent abductions the welcome wagon or vampire attack. I guess that's not helpful if challenges rules prevent changing lot traits though. I also may have got it completely wrong about the private lot trait.
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 08:12:52 AM »
My Sim got abducted by Aliens in the first Tournament Challenge (Great start to the Tournament!) and after sending a private message to the Challenge Team, I was allowed to purchase a Satellite Dish. I'm wondering if we are allowed to do this for all challenges, I can't find any ruling on it, so I'm assuming we can, but I thought I'd ask here just in case.

Yeah, let me add that to the General Rules that everyone can use that showhiddenobjects cheat to prevent abductions. Thanks, Rainbow.

Offline thefaeriesgirl

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2020, 06:00:16 PM »
I have a few general questions:

1. Is there a list of lots that can be added that aren't in any of the worlds? I honestly have no idea what is missing aside from the spa and bowling alley.

2. I believe I saw a post in here that said we could decide if we have holidays. Does this mean there is a way to remove them (other than skipping them and we get the sad debuff for) and that we can do so?

3. It says that practice is okay before the event starts, is practice also okay while the event is going before we create the scoring file? I did that with the Skill-a-Thon challenge.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
I have a few general questions:

1. Is there a list of lots that can be added that aren't in any of the worlds? I honestly have no idea what is missing aside from the spa and bowling alley.

You can usually add restaurants as well.

2. I believe I saw a post in here that said we could decide if we have holidays. Does this mean there is a way to remove them (other than skipping them and we get the sad debuff for) and that we can do so?

The game adds the 4 holidays of Love Day, Harvest Fest, Winter Fest, and New Year's. You can skip those by going into the calendar and deleting them. The Pop-up holidays can only be canceled when they occur, and your Sim will get the sad moodlet, but it's not as intense as the ones for the major holidays.

3. It says that practice is okay before the event starts, is practice also okay while the event is going before we create the scoring file? I did that with the Skill-a-Thon challenge.

Practice is also okay when the challenge is live. Hope this helps!

[/quote]
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline thefaeriesgirl

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2020, 08:11:57 PM »
Thank you for the incredibly fast and very helpful response @MarianT !

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »

The game adds the 4 holidays of Love Day, Harvest Fest, Winter Fest, and New Year's. You can skip those by going into the calendar and deleting them. The Pop-up holidays can only be canceled when they occur, and your Sim will get the sad moodlet, but it's not as intense as the ones for the major holidays.

If you watch the calendar every day or two, the popup holidays will show several days before they occur - and they can be canceled prior to the day they start without the sadness.  I always try to cancel the fighting one and the mischief one for sure.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2020, 06:51:21 AM »

If you watch the calendar every day or two, the popup holidays will show several days before they occur - and they can be canceled prior to the day they start without the sadness.  I always try to cancel the fighting one and the mischief one for sure.

I did not realize that. Thanks!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 09:11:15 AM »
Is there a rule about what lots we can or cannot place in world. Is there a limit on the number of spas we place for example.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

anything