Author Topic: Discover University Confirmed!! Information thread.  (Read 20328 times)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Re: Discover University Confirmed!! Information thread.
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
Livestream link

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/505619640

Please note Maxis monthly is tuesday as stated in livestream. Don't know the time.

Servo lifestate confirmed. Repo Man confirmed. New death confirmed.

Embargo lifting this weekend sometime!

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 10:20:05 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruAzure/status/1192956650031706112

Wow this is a gamechanger. Might be worth the price of admission.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2019, 02:04:46 AM »
Carl's summary of the two hour Live Stream   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRS0shmXqbE

And yes, having individual chest storage is really a great addition. It was nice of SimGuruAzure to confirm that for us.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline MystiKitty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2019, 03:17:08 AM »
I did a mock Wonder Child challenge to make a Sim to enroll when this expansion comes out. So far it's looking real dope. I always have loved the collegiate experiences in The Sims games.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »
Already on the Christmas present list :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
I'm looking forward to this. I really like the fact that YA - Elder can attend University, and that they don't have to move to Britechester. For most of my Sims I'm just going to want the degrees and I'll skip the keggers and mascot battles. I plan to have one student move to a dorm, one live in San Myshuno with a roommate, and one live on Sulani, as I haven't done much with Island Living yet.

One thing that concerns me -- it will take a minimum of 3 Sim weeks to get a degree, assuming 4 classes per week. That's going to take up most of the YA age if you're playing on normal length. I wish they would give us customized age lengths with this, but they haven't said anything, so probably not. I may have to go to long life spans for my Sims and age up toddlers, children, and teens early.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
My biggest concern other than Uni being nothing but a rabbit hole is also a time issue. When asked in the live stream what the reward for graduation from uni was one of the gurus replied advance career placement. If you work hard as a teen get an A and have some skills to earn a scholarship and then go to uni right after age up. It will take three weeks to graduate. If you take the same sim and send said sim straight to desired job in three weeks the sim would be about level 6 or 7 in said career and making money. Uni costs so unless they start you at level 7 or better in said career after uni the uni bound sim will be actively stunting its career growth and have less money to boot. Were is the upside for the time it takes to earn a degree? Unless they failed to mention all the upside to going and graduating other than role playing or some form of challenge why send a sim to uni after you done it once or twice for the experience? The reward vs. time seems way off. Besides the reward is over used pre-expansion as is, like an A in high school, a fame perk, a purchasable reward trait, a club trait and the wishing well advance your career.

But the robots seem fun and useful. The new storage chest is going to be a god sent. I am excited for roommates. In fact the biggest selling points is everything that isn't uni related. So I am still wanting this pack. Just I am having a hard time seeing the point of what this pack is named after. We will see.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
Do you all think there's a chance they'll just freeze aging on the played Sims while they're at university, like in Sims 3? That would make it more worthwhile to spend the time. Otherwise I agree, it wouldn't be a good choice compared to just getting a job and grinding on the promotion requirements.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2019, 02:47:10 PM »
Carl's posted a QandA information page on the guide that has the information that is available currently on Discover University and will be adding to it as even more information becomes available over the next few days.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/faq.php

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2019, 02:49:54 PM »
@techiechick  age does not freeze while Sims are at uni. Completed degrees allow your sim to have better career progression, start mid way (even choose a branch immediately) and get more vacation days. So it may be a tight comparison but I think completing a degree within the 3 Sim week time span would make it worth while, or at the very least comparable while giving you a different game play path to experience.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »
@Playalot thanks for posting the link to Carl's Q&A. I posted it in the OP.

Speaking of gamechangers like Carl, As of 9:oo AM PST today gamechagers are able to post guides, review and videos of Discover University. As I am not supposed to link to any non-official sources, with the exception of Carl's, from my understanding and gamechangers are more through then Maxis in their coverage, I will be slowing down the number of updates and will stop when this goes live. Instead of posting links to every relevant tweat and screenshot, I will just be adding new news tailers and the like. I will of course adding anything from Carl.

Now also speaking of gamechangers. How many of you been watching the flood of information coming out from Sims Camp and the like? I have and I am wondering if it is the same pack they shown in the livestream. the reviews and footage shown by the gamechangers I have seen have been positive as a whole. It looks fun. Also according to Carl's Q&A the reward is more than a initial jump in level. He says:

No extra trait slots, but Sims do get a trait indicating they are a graduate for each degree they completed. This will give them bonuses when joining career tracks that benefit from that degree. They'll start at a higher level (and may even select a branch from the get-go), get faster Paid Time Off days, and gain better work performance. Therefore, with a degree you can take more time off while also gaining promotions and overmax much faster than Sim who doesn't have a degree.

If this bump in progression and time off is significant it may actually give significant advantage to make sending sim to uni worth it.

It may be worth a test. Take a well raised teen copy it into three new games. All of them with the aim of maximizing career growth in the same career. Put one into jobforce straight after aging up. Send one to the distinguished uni for the applicable degree. Send the other to the other Uni. Play them to maximize appropriate required skills, for high grade and maximum job growth. Each leaving home with exactly $20,000 to start life, pay for school, get and furnish housing and the like. Each ignoring side hustles for money except a part time job for Uni students. Each ignoring other skills and gameplay. And see which gets to the top of said career first. Also see who has the most net worth and the larger paycheck.

I may do that, or something new may catch my eye. I am happy to see how excited overall those who actually played the expansion really are. This gives me hope. The lack of official information for much of the release coupled with a lackluster livestream really had me worried I wasted my money. I am glad other feedback I have seen by those who played it is so positive. I can't wait to here Carls review of the pack. For game play I find he and I have similar views on the sims.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2019, 06:26:08 PM »
A couple of things I'm starting to realize:

If you have Get Together, you can make a sorority or fraternity by setting up a university housing spot, making it gender-specific, and then making a club of all the residents with various favored and unfavored activities. If you have Dine Out, you could even put a sign with its "Greek" letters in front.

If you have City Living, your apartment-dwellers can now get roommates.

And something one of the gamechangers (Plumbella, but she said a different person had the idea first), you can place a "university" in any of your Sims towns -- the Commons and University Housing are lots like a museum or bar. Britechester is so pretty that I probably wouldn't do that, but it seems to me that Windenburg would offer a good setting for a college.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
Thanks to Playalot and scoed for the time you spend keeping us updated on the upcoming DU expansion!
Yesterday, I watched Carl's video summary of the DU livestream (thanks for the link, Playalot) and really enjoyed it.
I'm looking forward to:
*Individual personal storage
*New clothing and hairstyles
*Cole Gossett--he's so cute and his hair is my new favorite!
*Preparing sims for higher education
*New careers (I'd love if they offered work-from-home options. too)

I still haven't bought/played Realm of Magic, but I might be anticipating DU more now.
Looks like it'll be a pack to enjoy on Long lifespan, though. ;)
Reading MarianT's possible gameplay scenarios for DU is also fun!
Thanks, everyone!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2019, 09:04:30 PM »
I'm most looking forward to the liveliness of playing in a dorm. So much of the interaction of the NPC sims so far have been chatting, so to see a lively, busy lot with NPC sims interacting with objects is going to be a really great change.

I'm definitely not traveling through a loading screen and back just so my sim can eat so I'll most probably build another story onto the dorms lots with a commons like theme and place all the needed items in there. Items such as the cafeteria and ping pong tables, research 'computers', bookcases, study tables and skilling items needed for the various uni requirements.

It's really two things from previous iterations that I have always enjoyed playing, university and roommates. So it was always going to be a win from me provided these features were done well.

As for individual inventory chests, about time!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2019, 01:42:19 AM »
Changes to the minimum spec requirements for Discover University: Note For PC, a 64 bit operation system will now be a requirement.  (Also linked on the OP)

For Mac there will be no changes when it comes to 32/64 bit as Mac has always been 64 bit since it came out. There are changes as well though as computers without Metal will no longer be able to run the pack either.

You can find the rest of the information here on crinricts post: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2019/11/changes-to-minimum-requirements-for-discover-university-expansion-pack/

Or here on Origin: https://www.origin.com/nzl/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4/expansion/the-sims-4-discover-university#store-page-section-requirements