Author Topic: Heart Foam's Collection of Miscellaneous Housing  (Read 9086 times)

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
Heart Foam's Collection of Miscellaneous Housing
« on: October 11, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »
This is for my other houses that someone out there might be interested to see. I genuinely have low expectation of that.

The Von-Windenburg Estate is likely to grab your attention more than others. It started in Simsie Save 7.0. The problem with her save is that there are literally no empty lots to build once's own house and have one's own sim family. Please don't say it's a great house. For actually inhabiting? It's basically a shell, there's no money, and figuring out the interior is hard. The shape of it is not as accommodating as my Eugenics II chateau. Another thing I don't like is the lot. The view is amazing, but there's no road. Maybe I'll make a helipad in front instead? That idea has just come to mind as I write this up. As it is, that lot makes no sense. That's a big part of the reason I copied it to Del Sol Valley and kept building.

3 or 4 pictures of this house made it into my Eugenics II saga, and this is the red / greenish roof version. With Realm of Magic, I wanted to try some of the new brick.

It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Re: Heart Foam's Collection of Miscellaneous Housing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:22:24 PM »
To actually play in, the 30x20 house from Sulani that I plopped down in Glimmerbrook is better. This started on the crater lot in Sulani, and in a pinch for a nice 30x20 house for RoM I put it down here. It's yet another iteration of the Vlad's Nose floorplan. (You can find it looking castle-esque in yet another version in the main Building/ Remodeling thread here. Arid Ridge. But fundamentally, the same house. Okay, the basements vary wildly.) In fact, there is yet still another version (now added to this very thread! I know!) spun off when I was planning how I'd do a 10 gen dynasty, using the stair update to do some fun things. But it's a plan that works, and there are a lot of 30x20 or 40x30 lots. The basement is very inspired by the over-the-top basement in the Vacuous Green house.

It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »
Fledermaus Bend.

This could turn into a 10 gen dynasty. I know some people say they will avoid Forgotten Hollow, but no! Build something utterly incongruous. This is not my own design. (You can tell. Like, I know you can tell. Let's not pretend here.) I'm fairly closely copying a house I found online once, but since that was built the stair update allows for the stairs I reckon the original builder would have wanted. And I'm changing the front. And the roof. And the pool. And the garden.

Green hair starting sim has a child with L. Pretty much everything will change over time. For example, those are super cheap windows. They're not there because they're the windows the family really wants, they're just super cheap. I think L.'s daughter might be odd looking. L. is quite odd looking.

None of these are very active saves. It's hard to leave my Goths and the house in the Eugenics II. There's history there. A fresh save... yeah. You know the feeling. 

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 04:38:48 AM »
The Summer Home.

I forgot what save file I had built this in, and when I loaded it was sad to see the fountain and swirly path wasn't there. There's a lot of detail work to be done. It may never be done. This wasn't so much built to be lived in so much as to mess around with ideas, thinking of lots and houses for a Gen10. And I was thinking of using neighborhoods and lots I'd never played in.

I had low inspiration and having made too many unmentionable messes, in frustration, just built the floor plan I'm familiar with. The Vlad's Nose / Arid Ridge castle / Sulani beach house in Glimmerbrook one. Then I thought to use the stair update. L-shapes. That lead to wanting to use two of them symmetrically in a rotunda sort-of-way. Sims won't then find themselves on the wrong side and have to loop around to go up or down. So there's an ease-of-use advantage to doing this. Naturally this messed up the passage, the small 2x3 space I normally use for laundry, and everyting else. Externally, you can definitely see the connection to other houses of mine, but inside things get funky. Roofing it was a problem. I didn't want to slavishly copy what I had done before, and that lead to the idea for the massive, beautiful skylight above the main staircase. And that skylight is mirrored on the outdoor deck area. So there's some asymmetrical balance.

This house is basically a mock-up, a blueprint. It's for brainstorming ideas and wondering where stuff like a money vault can go. So of course the pool -- again ripping off one I did before -- is stupid and would look very different in a "final" version. It might be built from scratch again in a start-from-nothing scenario. I like to have a plan for a house that's slowly built as the sims get richer. I don't like to just earn 500k and move household to something I downloaded. It shortcuts too much gameplay. I've left the grid on in build mode for my own reference, and for anyone who wants to complete their version of it before me. Nice boxy, basic shapes. I don't reckon I'm half the builder people think I am.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 11:24:28 AM »
I think you sell yourself short, Heart Foam! I enjoy your builds quite a lot. I do like how the RoM brick looks on the first house there and I like the colors better than the original with the red, I think. I also like it better in Del Sol Valley. The Von Haunt Estate lot seems to be better suited for some kind of ruins or something, I think. Or something deliberately off the path, so to speak.

I like the sky lights in the fresh save file build there.

Even though I like to try and replicate plans from online, I have to admit to changing them up to make it easier to play in, or I will use pictures for the outside to get a certain look and then just do what I want in the inside. I think your builds are aesthetically pleasing and if they are easy to play in, all the better!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »
:) Oh I swoon at my houses. I have a small fan in arm's reach for when I catch a glimpse of the gardens at Hounds Head. And I think they're the prettiest, but I can appreciate that there are people out there who make actually complicated houses that creatively use resizing and MOO and split levels and so on.

I prefer that big house in Del Sol Valley too. It might also look right on the Fyres lot. I don't really like playing with the Villareal family on that lot in Windenburg (through raising Max to be a good human being is a noble goal), so I don't really know what to do with it. In time I'd sort out gardens and stuff. It's the right sort of house for a Lady Danica Goth.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Heart Foam's Collection of Miscellaneous Housing. Mid-nowhere.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
Mid-nowhere. 20x20. 64-tile, tier 2 Tiny House.

The plan was to play-test a house I could raise a child in.

When winter came, and the child was a child, and the child needed to do child things with a child's science table, or a child's school project, there wasn't room for a child's bed. It's fine for two sims, it might need some editing to have three sims.

-- The funky glass roof and completely fake chimney only happened when I didn't know how to roof it. And that, in turn, prompted the big glass doors. You can look straight through the house.

Exit Bunthorne.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »
What a fantastic house, @Heart Foam ! I adore the pergolas, the pool,and the walkway!
I also love your choice of thatch and glass for the roofing as well as the angles of the glass roof.
The shot with everybody in their tourist garb made me laugh!

To make room for a science table, could you use a mirror for the Change Sims function instead of the closet?
Or do you prefer the closet to add a sense of realism? (Haha, I just temporarily throw one out in the sims' yard somewhere if I want to change another sim's outfit...)
What a lovely build!  Thank you for sharing!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
I nearly mentioned in the above that sims can't access the bathroom mirror to change. It's perfectly fine for practicing speech or debate though. So every change has been done with the closet. lol. I don't care for realism, I like green pools and aliens. :)

I like the dining room with an actual table, because a lot of the time a laptop goes there. But, in desperation, perhaps I could shave off one row of 3 tiles and expand the room on the right. Tiny Living makes you think about every tile. The science table or school projects aren't a problem unless you raise a kid in a blizzard. For the sake of a few emotion potions, I really don't care where it goes... but in that winter storm it had to be inside, and there's just no space in these houses! On the whole, I like the floorplan. I think there's very little dead space.

-----

Edit to add:

Without the closet, a bed can fit with space for school projects. I'm reasonably confident this house could fit three sims now.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
Looks great @Heart Foam !
I'm super-impressed that your Tiny House is an all-weather build!
My P10 dynasty houses never have a pool, because Fitness is a unique skill and I'm afraid one of the past heirs will max it while visiting (like what happened with Rocket Science....).

Forgot to mention how much I like your second shot in the previous post, showing the house from the front with the islands in the background. Good stuff!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 05:05:31 AM »
This the same Immortal Dynasty house from the other thread, begun in the mists of time when there were only two big lots to choose from, Oakenstead and this. An earlier instance of this house was saved and plopped into my Eugenics II world. It was going to be for a family member, but the Flints moved in. That's basically this house.

Sims house building is more like creative doodling to me. It's not like I had this current version in mind when I started. Anywho, I stared at it long enough to think I had to solve the slab-sided sides. The multiple 1-tile narrow windows at the corners happened first.

Then I thought "but this is clashing with all those shutters", and so I changed more windows.

Then I thought "but the front and the back of the house don't look like they belong to the same house", so I changed the back.

Then I thought to make the ground floor tall -- the 1st floor is already tall to make room for the frieze -- because the house looked silly with some of the wall textures I had at the time really showing off the upper floor to be taller. Looked weird. That meant changing the big front windows.

Then I thought I don't like all the interior changes to the ground floor with a tall wall height, and went back to medium but kept the idea for arched windows.

As rooms have been pushed and pulled, most have had minor changes.

If you're being generous, call it the long gallery. And as a long gallery should, it stretches almost the full frontage of the house. Except it's the back. But at least it has Art. There's Definitely Not American Gothic and Definitely Not Girl With a Pearl Earring.

I'm trying to put pictures in an order that shows how it all connects.

This was a ID save, and that's gen 3 Willow Goth. And gen 4 Izabella Goth. Yes, the game chose that. First random roll.

On the other side of the house, dining and kitchen.

A handmade table and chairs that go back literal years.

I think a few forum regulars have seen this house in various forms before. This is the current form. A very heavy, stone and wood, European, cold climate, stately home in a desert. No one needs those fireplaces. It's a summer heatwave, in fact. I like the sheer pointlessness of this house in a desert.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 12:09:09 PM »
Red tiles on the roof, outdoor grill, big windows. Curb appeal right there.

I changed a few small details. Is it totally necessary to share? Is this very different? Maybe not. But you can see the different fencing and decide for yourself is this is an improvement or not. I really like the 3 arched windows in the center. If that inspirates you, they do need columns to define them. And on a smaller house, so many columns blocking the view might be too much of a drawback. But this is a big house, and you can always have a view from inside the columns.

The main reason for the airy Spanish windows is the dappled light. I reckon the dust would be a problem.

She was the dynasty founder, so not raised from birth as a SuperSim, and needed a few levels of logic. That's an Amygdelight and CelebuSerum.

The pool area has been cleaned up. The box hedges, that were just boxes, are gone, and so have some of the stairs.

The coconut palms looked a bit crammed in there, I know, and they have since moved.

The money trees on the side of the house has also been improved. Trellis = classy.

Gotta give the paparazzi somewhere to sit.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »
Numerous changes to the back garden / pool. And an aerial pic is probably the best way to show 'em because there's one just above for comparison.

And the low brick walls felt out of place, so they've been swapped with wrought iron. I dunno. Contrast? I'm not even sure it makes sense, but that's what I've gone with. At some point someone will realise I know absolutely nothing, and make nonsense houses.

Earlier -- like earlier this evening -- I had arched windows in the pool just to add visual interest, but they're gone because that was Fun but Lame. And there's now a matching gazebo with some outdoor furniture, and table for a kava party if we ever need one. Spandrels are good. I like 'em.

Inside, it's same old same old. Gen 4 Izabella learns the piano in a room bigger than my Tiny House. This is 9x8. Before you swoon, realise how easy it is to do a posh room like this. Okay? Easy. I tend not to use items creatively.

I really like the sketch pad's illustrative drawings as wall art. They're bee-youtiful.

And Bella Goth died, about 2 pixels away from finishing her secret agent career.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 05:33:47 AM »

Behind the rocket, and underneath the deck chairs above, is a money vault. This is, after all, just me editing the original version of my Island Living house. Oh pandemic lockdown! :) And this save has Amanda Landgraab, born in late 2014, my first ever -- EVER -- TS4 child -- who I abandoned and never raised. I thought I was starting a new save, but I had just added a new household into the same sim world. I did that because I didn't know how to pay the bills on the Landgraab house. Amanda and her sister grew up off stage, look ugly (blame Nancy), have bad traits. One day I saw a sim I thought was in a different save walk past the house, and then I realised what I had done. I went back to that save to experiment and build pre-Island Living. Now, having learned a few tricks and improved that house with DU, I came back here.

Originally, this had a downstairs kitchen -- the room on the right now with unsorted spa items. But when I extended the corners of the house, I moved the kitchen upstairs.

I'm planting and growing lemon trees (isolation, is not good for me) between the money trees. It might look nice, it might not. We'll see.

Sigh. It is just green concrete.

But yes, this is pretty cool. I feel I've got the shape right. I love the dormers and the columns that lead up to them. It's so... neat. The family went broke *many* times, and had to wait to paint or harvest a money tree. For reference, the bills here were only 20k last time, an indication of how under-furnished it is inside and how empty the vault is. The Eugenics II chateau is 84k a week.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Albert12

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 03:43:56 AM »
I think you sell yourself short, Heart Foam! I enjoy your builds quite a lot. I do like how the RoM brick looks on the first house there and I like the colors better than the original with the red, I think. I also like it better in Del Sol Valley. The Von Haunt Estate lot seems to be better suited for some kind of ruins or something, I think. Or something deliberately off the path, so to speak.

I like the sky lights in the fresh save file build there.

Even though I like to try and replicate plans from online, I have to admit to changing them up to make it easier to play in, or I will use pictures for the outside to get a certain look and then just do what I want in the inside. I think your builds are aesthetically pleasing and if they are easy to play in, all the better!

anything