Author Topic: Little Bird  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
Little Bird
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »
Dear Journal,

I’ve started a new journal since the last one was confiscated.  I’m really not supposed to write much about this, but I have to talk to someone so I guess this blank page is it.

I’m now Olesia Herron, but I wasn’t born with that name.  For my safety, I won’t write it here.  In what I’ll call “The Before”, I was a happy child growing up with two loving parents and a brother who was my best friend.  We were all really close.  My parents were both only children with no living parents so it had just been us four.  But that was enough.  Mom and Dad always made time for us and taught us right from wrong.

We lived a comfortable life in a big city.  My dad was a big shot with a public relations firm and my mom was a pretty good artist.  We had everything we could need and more.  I wish I’d known then how precious it was.

The day that separates “The Before” from “The Now” seemed like any other.  Dad had been a little edgy the last few days but Mom was the same as always.  We went out for dinner on Friday night; not an unusual treat for a good school week.  While at dinner, I spotted my bestie, I’ll call her Beth here, across the room and we got to chatting.  Her family was going bowling after dinner and invited me along.  Mom and Dad agreed, I hugged them both, promised to not be too late, and waved bye to my brother.  It was the last time I saw them alive.  That ended “The Before” and started to set in motion my new life.

We were just finishing our final frame of bowling when my phone rang.  The display showed my Dad was calling so I happily answered.  But a stranger was on the other end.  He said he was with the police.  He asked a couple short questions and then asked to be passed to Liz’s father.  He took the phone looking puzzled but after a few moments he turned really white and looked at me with such pity that I felt my stomach fall through the floor.

He wouldn’t tell me what was going on but swept us all to the manager of the bowling alley and insisted we had to wait in his office for police to arrive.  I was crying by then because I knew deep in my heart that something horrible had happened.  Beth tried to comfort me and her mom was speaking to Beth’s dad in whispers in the corner.  She then had the same pitying look and was just as white.

Not only the police but a marshal showed up.  They took me from Beth’s family and that was the last I saw them as well.  I was shuttled off to what they called a safe house and there, my world just stopped.

My family had been murdered.  I have to stop for a while now.  I can’t see the page to write.

Tears fall on the page and smudge the last line a bit.  Olesia then gets up from her chair and hides her journal away in one of her shoe boxes under an old pair of sneakers.  She looks at the tape holding a micro SD card to the underside of the box top and reminds herself to ask Mrs. Nelson if she can get a new phone.  Then she closes the lid and replaces the box under a couple other shoe boxes and heads to bed.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Little Bird
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:26:18 AM »
Olesia and Billy had left for school and Jean was busy most of the morning with her garden and then with Lizzy after the toddler woke up.  Jean was happy and fulfilled with her life as a foster parent.  She was a survivor of uterine cancer as a teen and had had to deal with the devastating reality of never being able to have children.  It had been some dark times but she could look back now and be grateful for the support of her friends and family.

Her next blessing was meeting Ruben.  An ex-military man, he’d caught her attention and then her heart in short order.  She smiled as she remember how scared she’d been to tell him that she couldn’t have children and his reply, “Well, sure you can, honey.  We’ll just adopt.”  She’d never loved him more.

Now they were a foster family.  Helping orphaned children find that stability again in a safe and happy home.  Lizzy was the youngest they’d taken on and Jean was seriously leaning toward full adoption of the little girl.  She and Ruben had been discussing it in the quiet hours of the night. 

Billy was their first foster child and he’d been a bit of a handful at first.  His mother had been a drug addict and was killed in a deal gone bad, apparently.  It had taken a while to reach the hurt little boy that hid behind a belligerent shell.  But Jean was more determined and won out in the end.  Now he smiled and laughed and was doing well with school and his household chores.

Their latest addition was Olesia.  She was a young teen who suffered a terrible tragedy when she lost her family in a fire.  The girl was obviously still grieving and her eyes had a cautious look in them.  Jean hadn’t quite figured out yet the key to opening her up yet, but she would in time, she was sure.

Meanwhile, Jean smiled encouragement at Lizzy, “Yes! Very good!  That’s two apples.  What a smart little girl you are!”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 05:20:42 AM »
After school and finishing her homework with Billy, Olesia sought out Jean to ask about a new phone.  She found her at the front of the house, puttering about in her beloved rose bushes.  Olesia had to admit they were really lush and beautiful.  She thought how much her mother would have loved to see them and then pushed that thought away before it distracted her from her goal.

“Jean?” Olesia called softly.

Jean glanced up from the bush she was working on with a spray bottle and smiled at the young girl.  “Gotta stay ahead of this black spot,” she said pointing to some leaves that showed faint signs of black spots on them.  “It’s a nasty fungal stuff that spreads if you don’t catch it quick,” and then she lifted the leaves to spray the undersides.

“I was wondering if I could access my debit card so I could get a new cell phone.  My old one is gone and I never got around to replacing it,” said Olesia.

Jean stood up and said, “I don’t see why that would be a problem.  Do you have friends back home you want to call?”

“Oh no.  Nothing like that,” Olesia assured her.  “I’d feel safer having one in case of an emergency and I used to like taking photos with my phone.”

“You like photography?” asked Jean as she gathered up her gardening tools and motioned them up to the porch and a seat.

Olesia followed her and sat down before answering, “Yeah, I do.  My mom was pretty creative so I guess I got that from her.”

“She was a photographer?” asked Jean, glad for an opportunity to try to get Olesia to open up a bit.  The girl had been playing it pretty close to the chest since she arrived a couple weeks ago.

“No, she liked to paint,” responded Olesia and reminded herself in her head how far she could stay with the truth.

“What about an actual camera?  Have you ever had one?” asked Jean.

“No, I only used my phone.  I’ve thought about getting a camera but I don’t know anything about what’s good or not,” said Olesia.

“Well then, I think a shopping trip is in order,” said Jean with a gleam in her eye.  “Let me tell Ruben where we’re going, get your card and we’ll be off for some girl time.”

Olesia smiled at Jean and nodded.  As Jean headed into the house, Olesia liked the warm feeling in her chest from talking with Jean.  It had been a long time since she felt like this.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 05:57:35 AM »
The night was relatively quiet as a soft buzzing sounded in the upstairs bedroom that Olesia had to herself.  She woke quickly and reached to silence the alarm she’d set.  The phone read 02:00.  Olesia lay very quietly for a few moments to assure herself that all were asleep in the house.  That’s when she set to work on retrieving the hidden micro SD card.

She remembered when Melanie had given it to her, one of the deputies tasked with her protection.

“I’m letting you have this but you have to make me a promise to keep it safe, keep it secure and only look at the photos on it when you must.  As we’ve stressed to you, your continued safety will rest solely on your shoulders once we place you with child services,” finished Melanie.  The deputy had been really nice to her and had been the shoulder she’d cried on more than a few times over the past few months.

“How long before that happens?” she asked Melanie with haunted eyes.

“Shouldn’t be long now.  We’re just finalizing your new identity as well as setting up a secure trust fund for you with your inheritance from your folks.  You’ll get a monthly, modest allowance from the fund until age 18.  Then the allowance will be increased but it will depend on you at that point.  If you go to college, which I hope you do,” she said with a smile, “then college tuition with full board is provided.  If you don’t opt for college, then the allowance will steadily increase until your 21st birthday at which time you will be given full control of your trust fund.”

“What about stuff from my home?” she asked.

“Your mother’s artwork is being put into storage and you’ll get access to that at age 18.  I’m afraid everything else had to be kept for evidence or destroyed as it was beyond repair anyway.  You don’t need all that baggage going into your new life,” finished Melanie in a firm voice.

She nodded at Melanie slowly and said, “I understand.”

Melanie sighed a little and patted her on the back, “You’ve had to grow up so fast.  I’m sorry for that, honey.  But there’s not much that can be done about that.  You can’t turn back the clock.  You can only go forward and the direction your life takes from now on is primarily up to you.”

Olesia carefully inserted the card into her phone and then with a deep breath, she opened the photos stored on it  The first one to pop up was of her and her brother.

It was taken when she first got her old phone and they’d played with taking a selfie.  Olesia sighed, remembering that carefree girl and that fun loving boy.  They’d become best buddies as they grew up together.  Colin was always good about helping her with her homework since he was her older brother and he was so smart.  She was so sad at his lost potential.  Surely he’d have become some famous scientist or doctor or something like that.

With a swipe of her finger, the next image hit the screen and she felt a physical pain in her chest which nearly made her cry out.  She slapped a hand over her mouth to stifle any sound and thought, ”Oh Momma.”

She looked long and nearly unblinking at the image of her mother.  Her finger stroked along the edge of the phone as tears welled in her eyes.

With the sound of tears in her voice, she whispered, “One day, Momma, I promise I’ll print out these photos so I can see you all the time.”

She then braced herself for the next picture and swiped across the screen.

“Daddy,” she said with a trembling voice as the tears spill over and course down her cheeks, “I miss you so.”

A good while later, after having looked through more of the photos on her phone, she noted the time in the top corner.  It was now after three!  Olesia wiped her cheeks and then set about the task of removing the card from her phone and storing it away again.

She went back to bed and softly cried herself back to sleep.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Little Bird - Updated July 31st
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
Four Years Later

Olesia sits in the auditorium for her graduation commencement and listens to the speeches.  She turned 18 just a month ago and can’t wait to start college in the fall.  Jean and Ruben said they were happy for her to stay with them until then.  It took her a while to settle on a major but she’d decided on Criminal Justice with a minor in Psychology.  She was graduating with a 3.8 GPA and her placement tests allowed her to get the university of her choice on the east coast.

She was going to miss this small southern town, but it was time to stretch her wings, as Jean had told her the other night.  Over the years, they’d developed not so much a mother/daughter relationship but more like sisters.  Also, as the time had passed, Olesia settled more and more into her new identity until now it no longer felt like she was play acting.  She WAS Olesia and the invented history sometimes felt more real than the truth.  But she supposed that was for the best.  It didn’t mean, though, that she didn’t think a lot of her parents and brother today.  She hoped they would be proud of her and the life she was starting to carve out for herself.

Over the summer, she and Jean went through her things deciding what she’d take with her to college, what would be disposed of and what would go into storage.

“You know you’ll always be welcome here,” said Jean as she folded clothes into moving boxes, “and I don’t want to loose touch.  I expect regular updates on your studies, friends and any cute guys you meet.”  Jean winked at her causing Olesia to laugh and blush.

“I’m sure I’ll be too busy with my studies for too much of that,” said Olesia, meaning the cute guys comment.

“Oh, I hope not!” replied Jean with a giggle.  “Doing well in your studies is good, but you need to socialize too.  Don’t be afraid to have fun.  Just don’t do anything stupid,” she finished with a grin.

The summer went by so fast and before she knew it, she and Jean were heading off to get her settled at university.  All of her things were packed and sorted.  She was excited about moving into the dorm and meeting new people.  Her dorm was co-ed with the girls on the top floor, boys on the bottom and the kitchen with recreational areas on the floor in between.  She’d have her own room too.

It was a tearful goodbye when Jean left after helping her to unpack her things into her new room.  Olesia felt a bit homesick for a little bit but then gave herself a talking to and decided to explore the dorm and meet new people.

[Author’s note:  As far as Gameplay is concerned, I’m going to play the Dorm household with full autonomy and I’ll only be controlling Olesia - similar to how the Sims University expansion worked in the past.  They are all young adult and I’ve turned off aging for everyone.  I’ll turn aging back on after she finishes university.  My university is set up in Newcrest in the far right part.  I have a dorm (residential), School of Science (library), Cafe, School of Arts (arts center), and a gym.]

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »
This is such great writing and your attached screenshots are perfect. I am looking forward to reading the rest.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 04:17:23 AM »
This is such great writing and your attached screenshots are perfect. I am looking forward to reading the rest.

Thanks for the feedback. :)  I'll have a new post later today.  I've been busy fleshing out the continued story line in my head as well as working on building her neighborhood for post university.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 05:03:40 AM »
Her years at university were pretty great and she would always look back at them fondly.  She made friends, even some good friends.  She even made a best friend in Lahela who’d started the same year she did and was one of her dorm mates.

She had learned a lot from her classes and felt she’d made the right decision in her chosen course of studies.  Olesia was now about a quarter of the way into her senior year and needed to make some decisions about where go or what to do upon graduation.  To that end, she was now heading for the admin building to chat with her advisor, Mr. Brewer.  He wasn’t the warmest of people but he hadn’t seemed to steer her wrong yet on course advice.

She arrived for her appointment about five minutes early and he wasn’t there yet so she sat outside his officer and waited.  It’s a good thing she was fairly patient because he didn’t show up until 20 minutes past the appointment time.

He only nodded a greeting, unlocked his door and motioned her in.  No apology for being late and keeping her waiting which irritated her a bit but she’d let it slide.

Mr. Brewer unlocked a filing cabinet and retrieved what she assumed was her student file and then sat down behind his desk.

“What’s up?” he asked brusquely.

“I’m starting to seriously consider my options upon graduation.  What area of law enforcement I want to go into, etc.  I would appreciate your advice,” she finished.  She’d learned over the few years of dealing with Mr. Brewer that he liked straight facts and no “dithering” as he’d once said to her derisively.

Mr. Brewer nodded and looked over her file.  “Your grades are pretty good, not exceptionally brilliant, but good.  As far as I can see here, you’ve shown good attendance.”  He looked up at her, “Do you have any preference for where you want to go?”

“I’d like to be able to find something that will take advantage of my psychology skills within law enforcement.  But I’m not sure whether I can do that with a city police force.  I’d probably have to go state or federal level?” she phrased that last as a question for Mr. Brewer.

He nodded, “You’d find a few opportunities at state level but I think you’d do well at Federal level.  I happen to have some contacts in that direction at the FBI which I could tug on to see about a placement for you after graduation if you like,” he said.

She broke into a big smile and said, “That would be great, Mr. Brewer!  Thanks so much!  I promise I won’t let you down.”

He shrugged, only a very small smile skirted his lips as he said, “No promises yet and you’ll need to keep up the grades.  It wouldn’t hurt to raise your GPA a bit more for this year.”

She nodded, “Of course.  I’ll work really hard, Mr. Brewer.”

He then firmly scooted her out of his small office and took some time to review her file again, particularly the last report on her activities.  He pulled out his cell phone and made a call, “Hey Phil.  I just met with the Herron girl.  She’s definitely up for recruitment and I think she’ll be a good candidate.  No family, good grades, and doesn’t waste a lot of time with partying.  As far as we know, she isn’t romantically involved with anyone.  I just nudged her to work harder on her studies so that should keep her out of any trouble in that department.  We don’t want her ‘falling in love’ with some schmuck at this late stage.”  He listened to the reply on the other end and then said, “Fine, I’ll get her to follow procedure and formally apply to the bureau and then she’s all yours.  Now, when am I getting brought back in and out of this hell hole where nothing happens?” he growled and then frowned at the response he got.  “You know I’m not big on patience,” and then ended the call, smacking his phone face down on his desk with a muttered curse.

That evening Olesia and Lahela got together in her room to chat about their day.  She was excited to share with Lahela about her meeting with Mr. Brewer.

“Wow, the FBI?” said Lahela with big eyes.

“Yeah, I know,” replied Olesia with a grin.  “How exciting could that be?  Mr. Brewer said no promises but wow, imagine if I could get into profiling for the FBI.  How awesome that would be.  They must have really great resources too.”

“If you did get a job with them, any idea where you’d be located?” asked Lahela with a suddenly sinking feeling in her chest.  She didn’t want to lose her best friend.

“No idea,” she replied and correctly reading her best friend’s expression she said, “but don’t worry.  Wherever it is, you could come with me.  Just the two of us off to explore our new lives.  Unless you’ve decided on something around here?”

Lahela shook her head, “No, no, nothing on that front.  I haven’t really decided what I want to do with my life after graduation.  My parents would like me to come home, marry a nice boy, and do nothing but make grandbabies for them,” she said and rolled her eyes.

Olesia laughed knowing her friend wasn’t anywhere near ready to settle down.  “Tell you what, keep your options open and once I know where I’ll be going, you come with me and you can figure it out then.”

“But what about work and living expenses?  You can’t support us both I wouldn’t think,” she said.

“Don't worry about it.  I’m sure you can find even some part time work wherever we end up and money won’t be an issue for a bit.  Once I graduate, I get control of my trust fund and I can afford to float us for a bit.  You’ll find your feet, hon,” she said.  “Now, off to bed.  We both have an early class tomorrow.”

Thousands of miles away, dawn was breaking over the horizon.  He was meticulously cleaning his tools and had already incinerated the clothing he’d worn for his work that night.  He was a careful man about evidence or the lack of it that anyone would find.  Later, he sat in his little rental house and enjoyed a superior glass of single malt; smiling as he relived in his mind his kills that night.

Yet, there was always that little nagging thought in the back of his head about the one that got away.  She was still out there somewhere.  He’d tried to find her over the years but she’d disappeared off the face of the earth as far as he would tell.  It made him frown to think of her.  He didn’t like the loose end to that bit of work.

He watched the sunrise and said softly to himself, “On day, little bird, I’ll find you and you’ll join your family at last.”

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
Author's note:  Sorry I haven't posted today.  I was busy yesterday working on her post university neighborhood and today I've been sick all day and unable to sit at the computer for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.  And wasn't feeling very creative. :)  As of now, I'm feeling a bit more human and hope to have something for posting tomorrow.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:01:32 AM »
The last year of university had been a bit hectic but worth it.  Olesia had managed to pull her GPA up for the year to a 3.9 which made her proud of herself.  Mr. Brewer had indeed come through for her and got her a contact which led to her being accepted into the FBI Training Academy Program.  She spent 20 weeks in intensive training in Quantico.  Meanwhile, Lahela returned to Hawaii after graduation but they stayed in touch almost daily and the plan had continued to be Lahela joining her wherever she ended up after graduation and becoming an FBI special agent.

On that day, Lahela had flown in as well as Ruben and Jean to watch her graduation where she received her badge and credentials.  She would be starting her career at the New Orleans field office.  Olesia and Lahela took a trip there to scout out properties.  She wanted to buy something nice that could later work for her as a rental property should she be moved to another office. 

Eventually, they found a neighborhood that had been renovated by a developer who was now looking to sell the properties.  They both liked the look of them and Olesia decided to buy one of the two unit buildings.  She figured that eventually she’d rent out the second unit but until then, they’d furnish it enough for visitors to use.  Lahela’s parents had already indicated they would want to visit soon - probably just to check up on their youngest.  They weren’t terribly happy about Lahela’s decision to move but she was a grown woman now and could make her own decisions.  Jean and Ruben also wanted to visit and didn’t live that far away.

On move in day, Olesia and Lahela stood outside their new home and grinned at each other.  They really liked the neighborhood with its surrounding parks and walking paths.

“I have a couple days before reporting for duty so let's make the most of them, said Olesia to Lahela.

“Yep, first order of business is beds so we can check out of the hotel and actually move in,” replied Lahela.

“Time to shop then,” grinned Olesia.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 05:27:36 AM »
They had a great time furnishing their new place.  Olesia even made arrangements to get her mother’s paintings from storage.  Two of them were nearly too big for the house, reaching floor to ceiling, but she didn’t care and they were her favorites anyway.  Luckily, Lahela didn’t know much about art so thought nothing of the initials, RLH, scrawled as the artist signature.  So there were no awkward questions.

Lahela bumped along a bit rudderless for a while but then took up a real interest in archeology.  She was taking a course here and there and had gone on a special archeology trip each year over the past two years.  Olesia didn’t mind that her best friend was still working on securing her future.  She had enough money for both of them and she considered their friendship worth more than money.  To cover her own meager living expenses and to save for the trips, Lahela was working as a floating bartender around town.  The benefits to this being that when they did want to go out, Lahela could get them in nearly anywhere.

That evening, they were both in and Lahela nearly pounced on Olesia as soon as she came through the door at just after 18:00.

“You’ll never guess who I met at Total Health today!” gushed Lahela, her eyes bright and dancing.  Olesia smiled at the enthusiasm and felt a charge of energy which perked her up after the long day.

“You’ll have to follow me upstairs.  I need a shower.  Had to go dumpster diving at a crime scene this afternoon,” Olesia said with a wrinkling of her nose and headed up to the top floor.

Lahela took a sniff of the air as she followed and then waved a hand under her nose, “Yeah, I’m getting that now.  Yuck!,” she said.  “So you’re still getting the crappy jobs?” she asked.

Olesia shrugged, “Not really.  Someone had to do it and I got drafted,” but she didn’t go into any other details.  She was always careful about how much she shared of her work.  Never any details or names, etc.

Coming into her room, she went to her wardrobe and took the security box from the top shelf.  Securing her Glock in the box, she then stripped and headed for the shower, speaking along the way as Lahela settled on her bed.  Olesia left the ensuite bathroom door open.  “So tell me who you met today that has your eyes dancing,” said Olesia as she adjusted the water temperature in the shower before stepping in to rid herself of the dumpster aura.

“Tane Momoa!” gushed Lahela.

“The Saints player?” asked Olesia.

“One and the same,” replied Lahela.  “And let me tell you that’s one gorgeous man!” she continued.

“I bet.  You don’t get to pro NFL all star level and not be in shape.  What’s he like?” asked Olesia, deciding her legs needed a shave as well.

“He seemed really nice and we had the Hawaii connection although he’s from Maui.  He said he’d visited Kauaʻi before so it gave us more to chat about,” she said.

“So he’s a member at our gym now?” asked Olesia, nearly done with the first leg.

“Not only that,” said Lahela, “he’s renting a unit in our own neighborhood!”

Olesia poked her head out of the shower curtain to look at Lahela in surprise, “You’re kidding!  Which one?”

“Number 22, around the corner,” replied Lahela.  “I’ve got a video call with my mom tomorrow.  She’s going to freak!”

Olesia laughed, “Careful, she’ll have you married off to him in two seconds flat.”

Lahela also laughed.  “I don’t know about marriage, but I wouldn’t say no to a sampling of the merchandise,” she replied with a saucy wink at Olesia who’d finished her shower and was grabbing a towel to dry off.

“Why Miss Lahela,” said Olesia in her best deep southern drawl, “I do believe I’m quite shocked at your insinuation.”  And then fanned herself like she was feeling faint.

Lahela busted out laughing.  “Get a move on Herron.  I’m starved so I’ll get dinner going and meet you downstairs.”

Olesia nodded and strolled into her bedroom to change into some comfortable clothes, still smiling.  However, listening to Lahela’s steps down the stairs, she remembered the request she’d put in today to San Myshuno’s police department to get a copy of the file on her family’s murder.  Of course, no one knew it was her family and she was doing it a bit on the sly.  But it was time for the full details.  They’d never told her the full story as a kid.  She needed to know.

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 05:07:19 AM »
It took over a week for the file to arrive at her desk at work.  She casually tucked it into her shoulder bag to be looked at when she was at home and private.  She found it difficult to put it from her mind that day.  Luckily, they were between cases at the moment and clearing up the paperwork and reports that always seemed to multiply when they were in the field.

She was part of a major crimes team specializing in her capacity as a profiler.  Not that she just sat at a desk all day.  She was, after all, a field agent and that meant getting your hands dirty; often quite literally.  There was also things to be learned about any potential suspect from the crime scenes themselves so a first person perspective was valuable rather than just reading a report of the scene and looking at pictures.

The end of her working day finally arrived and she was out the door and on her way home as quickly as possible  The file in her bag gave it weight, not just on her shoulder but on her mind as well.  She was grateful that Lahela was on one of her brief excavation trips so she’d have their home to herself.

Unlocking the door, she bypassed the downstairs and headed straight up to the top floor which housed her bedroom.  As a routine, she secured her Glock, changed out of her work clothes and into some comfortable lounge pants and a T-shirt.  Only then did she sit back on her bed, pulled out the file and just looked at the manila cover for a while.  She knew from experience, now, how jarring crime scene photos could be for family members and though she was more desensitized through her work, these were still her family.  With her heart thumping in her chest, she opened the file marked Hammond Family Homicide.

Hours later, Olesia sat downstairs in the living room nursing a brandy.  She felt she needed the kick after the bombardment to her senses of the contents of that file.  Her eyes were haunted and sad and showed signs of a recent crying jag.  She wanted the anger to come; to replace this wrenching pain in her heart now that she knew the nightmare that her family had endured in their final minutes.

The investigation determined that all three had shown evidence of being tasered.  Likely to immobilize them.  They’d then been tied up and tortured.  The murder weapon was thought to be a very sharp hunting knife but wasn’t found at the scene.  To the best of the medical examiner’s estimation, her brother was killed first.  Followed by her mother and lastly her father.  Her parents would have been forced to watch what was done to their son.  And then her father would have had to see and hear what was inflicted on the love of his life.  Her father was the worst in the wounds inflicted.  He would have slowly bled to death in a great deal of pain.

The investigators conjectured that the murdered was likely trying to get the location of the daughter.  This was especially based on a crude poem written on one of the walls in the father’s blood:

Little bird has flown the nest
Soon to find and put to rest

The investigation had come up with absolutely nothing that led to any arrest.  No other DNA was found at the scene; no other fibers; no fingerprints other than the family; nothing.  Also, the security cameras for the building had been disabled.  Whoever the murdered was, they’d been very thorough.  Her whole family had been investigated for any ties to organized crime; that it could have been a professional hit of some kind.  But again, nothing.  Olesia remembered being questioned along those lines; did she know her parent’s friends and work associates; had they been to their home; on and on were the questions but she didn’t know anything that was useful.

But now she knew why she was given a new identity, even though she wasn’t a witness to the crime.  It had been stressed to her that they believed she was in danger from her family’s killer but no real details.  Having seen the pictures, she was grateful now.

“At least it’s Friday,” she said into the dark.  Thinking that she had the weekend to get herself together before work on Monday.  Again, she raised the glass to her lips and sipped the brandy.

anything