Author Topic: Sims 4 not appearing in Electronic Arts folder (Mac) - Origin Purchase  (Read 9545 times)

Offline mayhem

• Nooboo
hi everyone!

i'm new to the forums but i'm not new to the sims.  ;)
i have an issue that i've been unable to resolve on my own, thus i'm asking for assistance.

i have an older model imac with osx sierra. i've run sims 3 with no issues. with sims 3, i used custom content and mods and i know how to install them using the folders in electronic arts.
i just purchased sims 4 deluxe digital version from origin the other day and i've opened and played the game. i want to use custom content and mods with sims 4, but when i go to electronic arts in my documents, all i see is a folder for sims 3. no sims 4.

i've tried opening origin and "repairing" the game, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, i've tried playing the game for hours and saving a bunch of different games, i've tried restarting my computer, etc. nothing is working. i've also taken a look at my iCloud settings but i don't use iCloud on my mac, so the tutorial i found on disabling it and the information saying it didn't work with the EA folder doesn't apply to me.

does anyone have any solutions or ideas for things i can try? i just wanna use cc and mods like i did with sims 3.  :'(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
I'm not a Mac user, so I may not be of much help, but have you tried starting the game by logging into Origin, click on Sims 4 and click the Play button?

As the Sims 4 folder does not appear until you start the game.

If this doesn't help, you may want to see if Bluebellflora's website can help or read the troubleshooting tips in the links below:

Bluebellflora - The Sims 4 Mac Help
https://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-4-mac-help-threads-guides/

Sims 4 - Mac Help, Guides and Troubleshooting
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612394
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mayhem

• Nooboo
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hello! i really appreciate you getting back to me!  :D
unfortunately i have tried everything in both bluebellflora's and the ea's guide. and as i said in my initial post, i have actually gone in and played the game multiple times. mac users generally have to play through origin automatically, so even if i click on the sims 4 app, it first opens up origin instead of the actual game. :P
i'm still not sure what's going on, i've done everything that i've seen people suggest so far and nothing is working. :(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Trying to think of ways to find your Sims 4 folder. -- Looking at it as if I had lost my Sims 4 folder, what would I do to see if I can find it. If you've been able to play the game, it's has to be on your computer some where.

If you've tried searching your computer to see if you can find it and not finding it (Search for The Sims 4)

There are a couple more ways of finding where your Sims 4 folder is hiding.

1. Load Sims 4, go to the load game menu, click a saved game and mouse over the little folder icon under the saved game's name. Like shown in the photo below. (click image for larger view)

Hopefully this should tell you where your Sims 4 folder is located. In my game, it's shown to be located in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

2. If you can't find it in the way explained above, another way of finding the path to where your Sims 4 folder is - Load the game, click the Options button > Game Options > Screen Capture and check the path for either video or screenshots. Either of these should tell you where your Sims 4 folder is located. (click image for larger view)

Hopefully this helps :)
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline mayhem

• Nooboo

when i played sims 3, i used the electronic arts folder for mods, same thing that you're supposed to do for sims 4, so instinctively i checked it first.
i have the electronic arts folder (under documents, where it should be) yet it doesn't contain any sims 4 folder.
i also tried searching my entire computer for anything "sims 4" related and all i got back was the actual game, no folders or anything else.
i'm totally stumped.
i'm gonna try opening up the game and downloading content from the community gallery and see if that maybe kickstarts the sims 4 folder in electronic arts? but who knows.
edit:: i forgot to mention i also searched for my saved games and nothing came up for their names, either.  :o

i really appreciate your efforts. <3

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Sims 4 may not be located in the same place as Sims 3 is. That's why I was suggesting to load the Sims 4 and look at the Load Game menu or Screen Capture menu for the path to where your Sims 4 folder is. - See steps and photos photos above and click on images to see larger views.

Offline mayhem

• Nooboo

i loaded up the sims 4 and tried out the load game and the screen capture menu to find the path, but no luck. :(
this is all i got back:

but when i went to check my electronic arts folder, there was no sims 4 folder that showed up. i thought maybe it was on my other user on the computer so i searched the entire mac and still, nothing.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
The photos aren't showing up.

I'm really sorry but I'm not sure what else to do to help. You may want to take it to a local apple shop to see if they can maybe help you find the Sims 4 folder?

Offline mayhem

• Nooboo

yeah i'm not sure what's going on with the pictures but ;w;
AHHH
thank you so much for your time and efforts. <3
i really appreciate it. cx
i think i'm gonna try and contact ea or maybe origin and see if they can help me.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
EA/Origin is the same. EA is the company and Origin is one of their products.
https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

You could also try Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
@mayhem

I clicked on your broken image links and viewed your screenshots at Imgur.com
It's so weird that you can't find your Sims 4 folder, when your screenshot shows that it should be located at: Users/Chai/Documents/ElectronicArts/Sims4
(I downloaded your image from Imgur, reformatted to .jpg, then reposted it)
hOIMitC Chai.jpg

I'm not a Mac user but do you need to be logged into your Mac as Chai to see your files?
Sorry, I'm no help at all. MrsFlynn is our awesome Forum TechGuru!

Best of luck finding your Sims 4 folder!

Offline mayhem

• Nooboo
hello! :)
ahhh i'm not at all sure how images work on this forum ;w; thank you so much for your help. <3

chai is my standard/regular/main user that i'm always logged into, but i can see the files from other users (of which i only have one, and i checked it as well for the files).

i was in a chat with ea support but i'm not sure if they've got any more ideas that anyone else. :P
so far they've told me that they don't deal with mods and i should talk to mod developers.
and then the chat cut out, so. ;w;

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
It sound like you haven't even been able to put mods or custom content into the game due to not being able to find the Sims 4 folder. Since you're not able to find the folder even with our help, it might be a good idea to see if Apple Support can help you find the folder. As it maybe a system glitch that they may be able to help you out with.

Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher

i was in a chat with ea support but i'm not sure if they've got any more ideas that anyone else. :P
so far they've told me that they don't deal with mods and i should talk to mod developers.
and then the chat cut out, so. ;w;

I would contact them again and this time not mention mods or cc. Instead tell them that you are having trouble locating the actual location of the games files and could they walk you through how to locate them.

After all, that is the issue. What you want to do with the files after you manage to find them is not the issue and EA will will basically shut you off the minute you mention cc or mods.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.