Author Topic: Thoughts on jealousy in general (not the trait)  (Read 7996 times)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
Thoughts on jealousy in general (not the trait)
« on: April 29, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »
Hey guys,

Sometimes, I feel that Sim jealousy doesn't make a whole lot of sense. For instance, if Don compliments Bella on her looks, Mortimer will become upset with Bella who has done nothing wrong, as far as I can tell. It hardly seems fair that a Sim can be blamed for receiving a compliment - saying 'thanks' really shouldn't count as flirting. Instead, Mortimer ought to tell Don to back off and leave his wife alone. But even if Mortimer and Don were best friends, their relationship wouldn't suffer one bit, if Don asked Bella to be his girlfriend right under Mortimer's nose. Bella would be the object of Mortimer's anger.

Do you think this could be fixed at some point?
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline Jemcrystal

• Nooboo
Re: Thoughts on jealousy in general (not the trait)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:56:46 PM »
To much like real life, huh?  Who gets the blame is not always the one who deserves it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:31:10 AM »
Actually, I'm about to embark on a little test run with jealousy and Vampires as I read somewhere recently that if a Vampire is jealous and/or angry enough, they will attack a Sim. (It will be interesting to see who gets attacked). Apparently, this will even override the Good Vampire aspiration, Good trait and Tamed Thirst, so I'm pretty sure you can guess who will be my little Guinea Pig.  ;) If you're interested, I can post my results? I was thinking of doing so anyway, as there are several things I want to test in the game right now and this is one of them.  :)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »
Actually, I'm about to embark on a little test run with jealousy and Vampires as I read somewhere recently that if a Vampire is jealous and/or angry enough, they will attack a Sim. (It will be interesting to see who gets attacked). Apparently, this will even override the Good Vampire aspiration, Good trait and Tamed Thirst, so I'm pretty sure you can guess who will be my little Guinea Pig.  ;) If you're interested, I can post my results? I was thinking of doing so anyway, as there are several things I want to test in the game right now and this is one of them.  :)

I would love it if you posted the results. Thanks

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 05:42:18 AM »
To much like real life, huh?  Who gets the blame is not always the one who deserves it.
I didn't have real life in mind when I thought about it. Plus the issue is consistent throughout the game which is not at all the case in real life ;)

@Rainbow Dash Please do post the result! I'm anxious to learn it as well ;D

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
Angry vampires will auto compel other sims for a deep drink. I love the jealousy trait. In my opinion it is one of the better thought out traits. I like the way it actually effects the sims that have the trait and you can actually tell from general game play which NPC sims have the jealousy trait.

One of the things I most like about it is the way the interactions of the jealous sims change according to what type of relationship he/she is in. If they are just bf/gf then they will get a jealous moodlet but do nothing other than feel miserable about their own jealous problem. This ramps up all the way to full on crazy-jealous behavior once they are married with them even occasionally getting jealous when their spouse talks to their own children. I love the way the jealous sim berates the spouse for talking to another sim. lol. I play with jealous sims all the time, they are fun to play with as the tense moodlet they get when away from the spouse makes them slightly more of a challenge to deal with.

A very happy jealous sim will actually not react 9 times out of 10 when their spouse chats to another sim which I also like as it adds another layer of complexity to the trait.

When comparing this game-play with many of the other traits, well... some of them basically are completely shallow, useless and more or less do nothing.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »
@Playalot I agree completely. It does give a Sim character. Earlier today, I had a new experience with jealousy in my game which I've relayed in the funny pictures thread - and you're right, the reactions are actually way more varied than my opening post describes. I'm positively surprised to be honest. Perhaps I should explore it more and not be afraid to "push" my Sims' buttons. What you have experienced sounds interesting and smile inducing ;) Thanks for sharing.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:14:06 AM »
You're welcome. I could rave on about the jealousy trait all day long! lol But I won't  ;) I wish all the traits were at least as complex as the jealousy trait, it would go a long way to make our sims feel different to each other.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 04:43:31 AM »
Long post is long.

I had to do several tests runs of this but the results are in!  :)

I used Caleb Vatore for this as I figured his Good Vampire aspiration would make this more challenging, I even gave him the good trait. Every time though, he got sad when catching his lover cheating, until I gave him the jealous trait, then he got angry, lol. I had to stack a lot of angry buffs on him to make him mad enough, I had him drink an essence of anger then locked him in a room with my hotheaded, mean Sim and an angry painting, with the mean lot trait. I had her do mean socials on him and it took him two days to finally snap and drink uncontrollably from her, lol. He was enraged but still didn't give in until his thirst dropped into the red, I've noticed Vampires have to be very angry or more to attack sims like this. The drink uncontrollably animation is different to the drink deeply one, he was a tough nut to crack so I think traits do make a difference. He was only at friends/lovebirds status my sim and when I was done they were enemies and both friendship and romance were all red.

My thoughts on this?

Pros: The hotheaded trait was a lot of fun to play, the rile up social is fun to do, lol. Getting a sim angry opens up some interesting
         socials but that was about it.

Cons: To really tank the sims relationship, you really need to have them fight otherwise it takes forever and I don't like that, also
           the jealousy made him slap her when he caught her cheating which I was definitely NOT okay with, I don't want that kind of
           thing in my game. Also, this took FOREVER and drove me crazy!

While I did enjoy seeing him drink from my Sim like that and some of interactions were funny, some of it made me uncomfortable and I felt kind of bad for doing this to them.  :( This is because I love to play romantic sims and happy families and I really dislike jealousy or cheating of any sort, my couples are always super sweet to one another, faithful and happily in love, so this was VERY different from how I usually play, quite the opposite actually. :)

An interesting experiment but probably not one I'll do again as I'm not really into that kind of drama, lol.  :P

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 04:55:59 AM »
Gosh Caleb took a lot of wrangling to get to the drink uncontrollably stage. My jealous vampire gets like that every time his spouse cheats on him. Which I may or may not make happen quite often... *cough*

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 05:13:54 AM »
Gosh Caleb took a lot of wrangling to get to the drink uncontrollably stage. My jealous vampire gets like that every time his spouse cheats on him. Which I may or may not make happen quite often... *cough*

You're telling me, lol, he kept resisting the urge to drink, I think that was to do with his Guilty Drinker weakness and Good Vampire aspiration, but once his thirst dropped into the red, things escalated quickly!  :o Being thirsty seems to help trigger it.

One of the things I most like about it is the way the interactions of the jealous sims change according to what type of relationship he/she is in. If they are just bf/gf then they will get a jealous moodlet but do nothing other than feel miserable about their own jealous problem. This ramps up all the way to full on crazy-jealous behavior once they are married with them even occasionally getting jealous when their spouse talks to their own children. I love the way the jealous sim berates the spouse for talking to another sim. lol. I play with jealous sims all the time, they are fun to play with as the tense moodlet they get when away from the spouse makes them slightly more of a challenge to deal with.

Wow, really, they actually get jealous from their spouse talking with their own children?! And they berate them for talking to another Sim?!  :o That's intense, I would probably snap and kill them if they did that or at the very least, punish them, lol. I'm usually very nice to my sims and spoil them but I will sometimes punish autonomous meanness.

Once of the reasons why I struggled with this, is because I'm very attached to both my Sim and Caleb and in my main game, they are always so sweet and affectionate and never say a mean word to the other and are just plain adorable. So turning them into jerks was hard, funny yes but it drove me up the wall. I have no problem having my sims be mean to, fight or become enemies with sims I don't like or who are jerks to them but it's tough doing it with sims I care about. But I learned a lot and I got them to BFF and Soulmate status afterwards so it's all good. (I didn't save anyway).  :)

The only reason I did this was to see the drink uncontrollably animation, I am obsessed with Vampires and like to play them in every way possible. (I have a problem *Sigh*).

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 05:50:59 AM »
First of all, thank you big time for sacrificing your comfort in order to illuminate the rest of us, @Rainbow Dash ;D

I would assume Caleb would be a challenge to make snap due to his guilty drinker weakness, but perhaps also his gregarious (people lover) aspiration trait. What a massive amount of "influence" you arranged for in their surroundings, lol. No wonder it tore you apart to watch (and cause) all their misery.

If it's any comfort, I also struggle when I play a different style from my usual. Different would be the '...and they lived happily ever after' style in my case.

@Playalot This:
Which I may or may not make happen quite often... *cough*
You obviously are my partner in crime. Sims must think of us as The Dreaded Watchers by now ;D

Have a great day, everyone!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
I'm doing a Rival Dynasties Challenge now so I'm definitely NOT a fan of any trait that slows me down--like the jealousy trait!
Two-day back-to-back Tense moodlet from feeling insecure!? No thank you!
I really enjoyed a story that @Playalot started last year with a jealous protagonist, though. It made think the Jealous trait would be fun for certain challenges. (Asylum ISBI?)

@Rainbow Dash
Thank you for sharing your results. I agree with @Nindigo that you embarked on a time-consuming project. Kudos for playing it out untll the end.

One thing I was wondering about was your changing one of Caleb's traits in CAS to "Good."
This never works for me on what CAS considers a "pre-existing sim." The changed trait may appear in the relationship panel and in social interactions, but the original trait remains.
To truly change traits on a pre-existing sim (a sim that I've played), I need to make a bin clone of them which removes their skills, reward/bonus traits, and careers (and relationships).

The only time i've ever played Jealous sims in the household is when a challenge has required that all traits be randomized, haha.
I admire your spirit of experimentation @Rainbow Dash ! Again, thanks for sharing!

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
@oshizu
Just a side note - if I change a pre-existing Sim's trait(s), it appears as though they are added to the original ones. So in essence, my Sim ends up with multiple traits. More than three, that is. I'll try out the cloning thing henceforth. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 05:24:32 PM »
@oshizu @Nindigo You can use the Add traits in regular menu mod. It can work with or without a toddler compatible update of the Add more CAS traits mod.
After changing traits, reset all buffs on the active sim : sims.remove_all_buffs to take trait changes into account. Not resetting buffs will keep buffs linked to removed traits and will cause issues. Only then, you can save. It's a safe way to change CAS traits and also other traits such as life states (like making an instant vampire).