Author Topic: Makin' It in Murkland: Starter Challenge [completed 05/11/2017]  (Read 29194 times)

Offline wfgodot

• ello beastie
  • Occult
Re: Makin' It in Murkland 1.9: Climbing the Cliff (04/13)
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2017, 06:35:58 AM »
You love that chest!  I bought one a while back after you talked about it a lot but I ended up never using it and then eventually sold it.
I never had much that was very important to store... I mean the angelfish I prefer to keep fresh, and the potion of youth just sits in Luke's pockets.

Anyway.  I finally came and hung out with you!  From the look on my face I probably regretted every second of it and may not do it again.
I was really worried I was going to pee my pants in front of all my new friends, but I'm glad I bailed on you first.
Cliff City does look insanely nice!  How'd they do that in a world like this!  And that's a huge garden.  I know you're in heaven.

How good of you to wake Ridge up, and even to close your eyes!  I'm glad we're friends.  Very considerate.

Funny about the trash fruit you dropped into all the planters.  Nice try!

Hello reggikko.
Add "maice" on Origin.
Behren Blog

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »
Ha ha! I love that I live at the artist's colony.

I am pretty sure you're okay planting trashfruit. Based on Brenna's answer to my question, I think only your required 16 plants have to come from trash piles.

I'm pretty close to being able to visit the cliff dwellers. I think I only need two more gardening levels.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »
@wfgodot
Oh no, you sold your chest? What do you do with all your collectibles, like MySims trophies, crystals, and so forth?
How valuable the chest is depends on the challenge, I think. Still used it in my IDC, though, cuz the chest takes up such a small footprint!
In the Apocalypse Challenge, I loved the chest because I could only keep one stack of a single item in my personal inventory without clearing a certain career (Bodybuilder, I think).
In this Murkland Challenge, I'm playing a one-sim household so I have to hold everything. If I place one of each item and all "treasures" in the chest, I know that everything in my personal inventory can be sold off. (Potions of Youth can't be stored in the chest.) Haha, listen to me gushing about the chest (again)!
   I wish there had been some way to direct Whiff to a pee bush.  When I found you up on the 3rd floor of Cliff City, I confess that I did the "Make Happy" cheat on you.
I didn't want you to get mortified and vanish on me!

@reggikko
   You misunderstood me, I think. It's impossible to simply "plant trash fruit" like other produce.  Placing the trash fruit on the ground and planting it only creates a trash pile at first, which other sims will throw away. Did you read my Chapter 1.7? You'll see that I've planted a bunch of trashfruit beneath the gym but I locked most other sims out so they wouldn't try throw away the trash piles.
    I thought the Glutton trait was one of the requirements for the Murkland Challenge?
    Yeah, the Artist Colony is one of the nicest residential lots!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2017, 09:12:49 PM »
Ohhh. I did not know that about the trash fruit. Yes, I did read your chapter, but I guess I missed why you were locking the door!

In my game, my Sim's traits are: glutton, slob (so she's not bothered by a filthy environment), and loves outdoors. Since she isn't the main challenge Sim in other people's games, I gave the uploaded version different traits and aspiration.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 01:21:57 AM »
Oh, my goodness! What a lovely collection of new suitors for oshizu. Sadly for them, it looks like her heart belongs to that beautiful storage chest. :) I'll have to head to the gallery and see if I can entice them into my Murkland to drown their sorrows. ;)

As for talking up other sims, under friendly interactions there should be an option called "Other Sims . . ." and under that there are three options, one of which is "Talk up another sim . .. . " which will bring up a menu of all the sims you know. Make sure you're friends with both parties or your target sim might just say, "You're not very convincing." If it's successful, though, they'll become friends and you should get a text message in the next day or so saying how great they are. If that works out, next you can try, "Hook up with . . ." also under "Other Sims . . ." and if they take the bait they'll become the boyfriend or girlfriend of whomever you're trying to hook them up with. It's so fun! Manipulation! Bwahahaha! I mean . . . matchmaking?

So excited to see the population of Carl & Pam's Forum members growing in your Murkland! I'm sure Francesca feels more at home all the time. :)

Jin is a real cutie, and he's totally working that hat!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2017, 01:42:15 AM »
Francesca, that's amazing. I had no idea you could do that.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2017, 01:22:50 PM »
   You misunderstood me, I think. It's impossible to simply "plant trash fruit" like other produce.  Placing the trash fruit on the ground and planting it only creates a trash pile at first, which other sims will throw away. Did you read my Chapter 1.7? You'll see that I've planted a bunch of trashfruit beneath the gym but I locked most other sims out so they wouldn't try throw away the trash piles. 

@oshizu I think I'm still lost as to what you are saying here. When I plant trash fruit, when I hover the mouse over the little pile it says "Normal Trash Fruit Plant" and a few hours later it sprouts. I've never seen them smolder. What am I missing?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2017, 05:58:34 PM »
@reggikko

Sorry about the misleading comment about the smoldering. it's been over a week since I planted those trash fruit at the gym.

What I meant is if one tries to plant trash fruit at someone else's lot, the residents there will invariably throw out the trash piles before they can sprout.
I had no trouble planting at the gym because Forest Tree (who was there) didn't bother me. At the Artist Colony, however, people threw away two trash piles as soon I was done watering the trash fruit.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Makin' It in Murkland 1.10: The Magic Bean Moocher (04/18)
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 08:55:55 PM »
@wfgodot
What's going on? Every time I run into Whiff, she's feeling uncomfortable.
If I were playing her (but I'm not), I'd totally buy her the Steel Bladder reward!

@FrancescaFiori
Thanks for the reminder! I'm besties with Brennachan and good friends with Pookey (her sim hazubando lookalike), so it worked like a charm.

I rather love those five Murky Men. So, yes, please place them in your game and show them some love! I thought Cirius Lee's name was pretty funny but, sadly, no one else does!
And, yep, Jin's a real cutie-pie, def my favorite of the five!

By the way, let's give it up for @Caterina for being selected as a Maxis favorite.
Her sim has become so popular that it's being re-uploaded, which is a real shame!

Murky 1.10  The Magic Bean Moocher

In the previous update: oshizu meets some new neighbors in Nukecrest, journeys with friends to Cliff City in the north (where she courageously rescues Ridge's chastity for lisabee), runs into Jin again at the Nukecrest Out Back Bar, visits the fantastic Artist Colony, then invites all its residents to the Hot Springs.

Week 3/Monday

After some hot tubbing, water sliding, and dancing, I see my first Plantsim!
And it's my homie, Aeon Salamander from Fort Murkland!

Wassup, girl? Lay one of your magic beans on a sistah!
*pleads most obsequiously

Aeon: Sorry, oshizu! I'm not in the right mood!
I gotta be in the right mood, y'know what I mean?

Meggles: Awww, poor oshizu! Did you hear that?
Carlos: Yeah, she just got shot down by the blond beanie bimbo…

Kate: Um, her hair's green now while she's a plantsim, Carlos.

Aeon, you got to be kidding me! This is Murkland, remember?
I'm living the slow life--no cheese, no cowplant essences, no career rewards!
Just gardening, dancing, socializing, and the occasional yard sale! *sighs

You want emotion, girl? I can give you emotion! *flashes crazy eyes

I run through my very limited selection of jokes, carefully avoiding the politician joke.
She's in the politician career, remember? (like about one-third of Murkland)

Yo, Aeon, did you hear the one about the Pope in the jacuzzi?
He was praying for whirled peace!
Aeon: Gah, that was a spa-ful joke!
Sorry, for the corniness--I didn't want to just show images of oshizu telling jokes.

3 hours and 2 Comedy levels later, I beg Aeon again for a magic bean.
Can you believe she's still just Happy? I, on the other hand, am Very Playful. Grrrr.

I ponder briefly the implications of death by hysteria in Murkland.
No, no, nevah!

I resort to an act of ultimate desperation and sacrifice. I open one of my capsules.
Go, Chef Gino, cuz we're 2 legit 2 quit. And bring back the glove!
Success at last!
It's a sacrifice because I always leave capsules unopened to sell at yard sales.

Whew, acquiring the Playful bean cost me 3.5 hours of telling jokes!

You can understand, I'm sure, my relief on spotting an already-flirty Katrina!
My self-imposed celibacy has been too successful so far to compromise for a mere bean!

Tuesday

After my usual gardening routine, I find Jasmine Holiday to ask about her Plantsim Challenge.
I'm liking the new jacket, Jasmine!

An already-moody Plantsim also shares her uncomfortable magic bean (3/6)

The Freegan's place is such a cool place!
I can socialize, use their stuff, AND my plants keep growing.

I also learn something new about the Mixology skill.
Mixing Water ($0) or Sparkling Water ($10) doesn't build the skill.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spy Forest Tree and Autumn acting steamy!

Whoa there, buddy! Watch out where you're placing that knee!
You're embarrassing Brennachan, baby boy!

Speaking of Brennachan, she tells me she's been looking for her beloved Pookey the Apocalypse.
She got separated from him during all the apocalyptic panic.

Let's see if I can be of any help with dat for a cosmic sister.

Heading home to start a yard sale on my lot, I spot a familiar face.

Awww, Pookey is looking so sad! (Um, thanks for the sad bean.)

Busybody to the rescue!

Times like this, I wish I used MC Commander…

Uma the Infected shows up at the Freegans feeling flirty.
Since I'm on my way to What's Left of the Gym, I don't have time to try changing her mood.

But I do work some mischief.  Thanks for being a sport, Uma!

At the gym, Rex Turbo Pumpkin waffles over a Whirlyflower Frog but ultimately can't resist.
Who can blame him?

My boy Lucas shows up feeling flirty with dat look in his eye!
He's getting harder to resist. Who can blame me?
Oh wait, I haven't made up my mind yet! 

Not a great night in terms of yard sales, but not bad, either.
I'm enjoying just slowpokin' for now.
I can get serious about rakin' in simoleons once I have my first Perfect trashplant!

After socializing a bit, I head home and crash land.

Wednesday

A text message from Pookey wakes me up. I guess that means they've met?

I burn a stick of incense for Brennachan and Pookey-chan's romantic reunion.
(I don’t' actually have an incense burner, though I fervently wish I could!)

Then I start the day by pruning my bonsai tree, erm, bush.
If I'm lucky, I'll get focused enough to overcome my grungy mood!

Beeg Question of the Week: Where to place the Forbidden Tree?
Maybe build a just-for-Plantsims lot in Nukecrest?

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 11:46:49 PM »
I really liked seeing Oshizu being funny ... Autumn and Forest Tree kissing, not so much.  I think I might need to keep an eye on that infected girl too, or at least her hands.

I learn a lot from reading your stories.  I've never used the match making socials before.  I think I could have some fun with that.

It looks like your simself is having a lot of fun in Murkland!

Thanks for pointing out that Caterina had been re-uploaded.  It's so weird.  Some of them didn't even take out my hashtags.  I'm not sure how feel about it.  I wonder if some of the other Murklander's simselves have had the same fate.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 01:38:08 AM »
LOL! Cirius Lee. I had to read it out loud, but I got there eventually! Now I really want him in my game. :)

So glad Brennachan and Pookey have rekindled their real-life flames. Love (and intense manipulation) conquers all!

I loved Oshizu's enthusiastic pursuit of emotional beans. Your pleading was most obsequious, indeed! Nicely done!

Nice bonsai, too!

Oooh! Lucas is turning up the heat! Or is that just the burning of poison fireleaf exposure? Either way, he's definitely got his eye on you, girl!

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Makin' It in Murkland 1.11: Forbidden Fruit (04/19)
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 12:16:15 AM »
@Caterina
Ooooh, I didn't even notice Uma the Infected's hand on Forest Tree's leg at the gym until you mentioned it!  Yes, I'm having lots of fun in Murkland--it's a nice break from my Rival Dynasties Challenge which is a speed-based race of sorts.
And yes, other Murklanders and even Brennachan are having their creations re-uploaded, without even changing the Item Name or Description. Just go to the Gallery and search Households using the keywords Hashtag Murkland. 

@FrancescaFiori
Oh no, I thought Cirius Lee's pun would be more obvious, but I'm glad you finally laughed.
Well, yeah, oshizu is forced to pursue the beans enthusiastically because my three Rival Dynasties need to each get at least one forbidden fruit before the Plantsim Challenge ends. They don't "need" to, but it would be fun as well as legal, since I can't use the debug cheat in an official challenge, lol.
As for matchmaking, I think oshizu will be giving it a rest from now on. Lol.

Oh, incidentally, Brennachan uploaded a new version of Mad Mudders Encampment with a door. I haven't tried downloading it yet, but all her lots required MOO.
I'm so curious to find out where the door is located.
Edited to add:
I just did a trial placement of the new MMEncampment (MME) on an empty lot and it adds two Stoar the Boar Trickster Doors ($50) to the room with the garage mural.
Instead of bulldozing and adding the new version, I enabled MOO on the existing MME then added the two doors to that room myself.
oshizu traveled to both lots and the effect is identical; she can now "knock on front door" and see indoors. Then I exited the game and added the doors "for real."

Murky 1.11: Forbidden Fruit

Previously:
oshizu meets her first plantsims, receives a magical tree stump from Jasmine Holiday, collects four beans, hooks Brennachan up with Pookey, and needlessly levels up her Comedy and Mischief skills. (Learning to mix drinks is never useless.)

Week 3/Wednesday

Soon after finishing my morning tasks, I see Uma the Infected Plantsim trudging along.

She feels sad this morning, perhaps because she misses pizza?
But don't zombies only eat brains?
Brains, huh? I know a few sims who have nothing to fear from zombies!

Suddenly, I get a text message from Pookey! And no, I'm pretty sure she's not!

Armed with my new Instill False Confidence social, I try to make Uma feel confident.
Not even 10 minutes after his first text, though, Pookey texts me again!
Am I going to have to block him!?

But anyway, I'm glad that he and Brennachan have worked things out.
He moves fast, though---they're in a relationship already!

I manage to lift Uma out of her sad mood, but she won't get confident.

No matter, she's still a little angry about my hand buzzer trick last night.
She's easily nudged into an angry mood.
Of course, I apologize right after she shares a bean!

Lucky for me, I run into a confident Plantsim on my way home and receive my 6th bean!

Lucky for you, because you won't need to see or read about me begging for beans anymore.

At home, I rearrange my lot to make room for the magical tree.

I never hold yard sales on my home lot anyway. And there's even room for my yoga mat!

Whoosh!
Whoa, that tree is huge!
That's when Brennachan texts me about Pookey. *sighs
No more matchmaking for this salamander. I seem to lack the flair!

Not sure I like the way the tree's dominating my crib but, hey, there's a portal!

After exploring the tree's inner world, I emerge with a forbidden fruit.
I'm not even close to ready to become a plantsim, so raincheck that!

What I really like about the forbidden fruit is that I can grow another tree with it.
So if/when I ever move, I can just grow another tree at my new home.

This also means that, after I have 5-6 more forbidden fruit, I'm getting rid of this tree!

Nothing's worse than not being able to tend my garden!
But I've learned a few tricks!

Pruning the bonsai makes me focused or examining it makes me happy.

Also, I received an element from the Geo Council which I enabled to get focused.
Now I want another element to place near the other four planters!

Speaking of forbidden fruit, Jin strolls by while I'm chillin' with the Freegans.

Now that Brennachan has Pookey, I make myself a new best friend.

Oh! I almost forgot that it's Wednesday!

I know what you're thinking! But Jin and I are just soaking in the hot springs.
#Keepingitclean

Wow, dat tree though! I still can't get over how different my home looks now.

You're probably wondering why there are so many Z's coming out of the tent, yeah?
I go to bed while wishing that Jin could stay over without having to woohoo.

And whaddya know? He crawls into the tent a little while after I do.
This is what best friends do, right? #Stillkeepingitclean
(Well, okay, if you must know. I might have started a club gathering and set "Sleep" as a club activity.)

Thursday

I wake up absurdly early this morning and find Jin napping in the pee bush.
Ooookaaaay, I guess sharing a tent was awkward after all.

Letting him get some more shuteye, I look after my garden.
#SayNOtohankypanky

Jin is a genuinely nice person. I could get used to being around him.
But can anyone explain which game we're playing? Jin keeps passing on drawing a card…
Old Maid or Poker?

We really need to leave my ain't-nothing-to-do lot, yo! I'm starting to bore myself!

After selling my surplus harvestables, I'm flush with cash and hot to shop!
At the Murkland Mercantile Company store, the first thing I buy is a cooler.

Not that I'm planning to go Plantsim any time soon, but a portable cooler is so handy!
Jin talks me out of buying a portable bar, so it's a good thing he's come along!

I also buy one of those plants-in-glass-bubbles decorations.

Ain't gonna lie! I whipped out my deodorizing cream just to check its label.
But nope, they're not on sale here though other herbal remedies are.

The skill books are tempting but I'll just go to the library!

Looking around, I don't see any store clerks.
Oh I see, they're both upstairs working productively!

If I ever live with a klepto, we'll have to return here when those two clerks are working!

It's still only 8 am…a little too early to hold a yard sales.
So I head for Desert Bloom Park with Jin for some fishing.

I even bring along my trusty element to stay Focused.

Besides Jin, I also invite Brennachan and Pookey.
Pookey looks upset that Brennachan decides to sit at a different chess table.

(At least they both stop texting me for a while.)

Hmmmmm…that couple could still use a little help.
I cook up some tofu dogs and call everyone to the meal.

Pookey: Check out how Brennachan's gazing at me with adoring eyes!
How lucky can one sim get?

oshizu: I'm really tempted to start a club gathering with those two and Jin.
The club activities could be fishing, chess, and romantic socials.

But with my luck, Jin would start hitting on Pookey, so no thanks.

I'm so excited about catching a Capt. Fishbones Bonefish at the park this afternoon!
Heading home, I check out the fish tank.
Awww, too bad! I brought you a friend but your tank only holds one bonefish!

Is Capt. Fishbones feeling lonely all alone in his tank, or am I just projecting?

Come nightfall, I'm hawking my wares at my usual spot at What's Left of the Gym.

Might need to see about relocating that pee bush! Its stench spoils my shoppers' mood!

Rex Turbo Pumpkin, no other customer of mine spends as lavishly as you!

Whatever you do at your job at Bosswives must be going extremely well!
*starts rethinking my options…

And then just like that, I find myself in an unsolicited convo with the biggest players around.

I immediately close shop, go home, and call it a day!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 12:36:14 AM »
Ooh, I love this update. The fun you're having with this challenge is really coming through in the narration.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
Ooh! Thanks for the heads-up on the Mad Mudder doors! I'm so excited! Look out, Gash! I'm coming to check out your pad!

I'm glad all is well for Brennachan and Pookey, even if they did give you a bit of drama in the process. :)

#keepingitclean, eh? Then why the censors, hmmmm? Don't need censors if you've got nothing to hide. #notbuyingit ;)

oshizu is so cute toting her element about. You can take the super-skiller out of the dynasty, but . . .

Nice tree! You're making me want to go rearrange my own Murkland lot. Hmmm . . .

Offline wfgodot

• ello beastie
  • Occult
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2017, 05:42:35 PM »
Jin is super cute.  Forget that Lucas guy.  I thought it was clever that you made the club so you could keep him around, but he kind of ruined it by choosing to sleep in the pee bush, didn't he?

I enjoyed your bean acquisitions, especially when it made you very playful and did nothing to the plant sim.
Your lot looks pretty cool with the tree on it.  I started gathering beans in my game and then stopped playing again.  Sigh.  I'm going to have to finish before the challenge is gone though.

Your hooking up Pookey and Brennachan is too funny!  All the text messages!   Both accusing each other of being in a relationship!

I, too, love how you're bringing the element around with you to fish and stuff.

Add "maice" on Origin.
Behren Blog