Author Topic: Laptop heating up  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Ruthelyn

• Nooboo
Laptop heating up
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »
I just got a new laptop- Dell XPS 15. I started playing the Sims 4 on it today. I have the Get to Work Expansion plus 3 stuff packs. I played for two hours and noticed my game was getting slow and that my laptop was starting to heat up. This is surprising to me because this laptop is high performance and my old one never heated up. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience? Thanks.

Offline Hechicera

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Laptop heating up
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:44 PM »
Sometimes the high performance ones generate more heat and are designed thinking you'll handle that. It can be really bad if some of the cooling fans are on the bottom and you lay the laptop on a solid surface to play. I know a couple of people that have get these fan things to go under theirs if they wanted to game on it for more than a couple of hours. They sell by names cooling pad, cooling mat. I don't really have any specific recommendations.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »
I purchased a LG cooling mat/stand for my laptop. It is powered either by a power cord (which has to be bought separately) or through the laptop via a USB port. I go for the USB port option. There are also has a number of USB ports on the cooling mat/stand which I also find helpful. The laptop seems to be operating well with it, and the noise from the fans is virtually non existent. Any of the cooling mats/stands should help, and the choice of powering it is up to you and your individual needs/preferences.

Offline Ruthelyn

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »
Thanks for the information! It turns out that my boyfriend has a cooling fan and I'm currently using it. It's a portable one and lifts up my laptop pretty high and hopefully it will cool off my laptop. The other thing I did before I played again is that I turned down the processor to 80% and turned down the graphics on the Sims. I played for two hours and the computer didn't heat up very much. I'm hoping that, plus the fan, will help with this laptop.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
I had the same problem recently and I find that having the performance specs turned down helps, as well. Another things I've found that helps, is deactivating Origin in game and disconnecting from the internet before I play, so I don't have other programs running at the same time. Make sure your video drivers are up to date, too. (That was causing half the problem for me).

Offline Ruthelyn

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:12:17 AM »
I just read this post. Sorry, I had a cold for a week. I did play today with Origin on and noticed that my laptop was warmer. So I think that I will do what you suggested. Thank you.

anything