Author Topic: Issues with moving Sims 4 folder. *Resolved*  (Read 8185 times)

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
Issues with moving Sims 4 folder. *Resolved*
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm breaking in a new computer and I am attempting to move save game files from my old computer to the new one, and it is crucial that I get the files onto the new one because I have a 1st gen legacy challenge in those files. I had copied everything I had from my game onto an 8 gig flashdrive and then copied those copies onto the new computer but the game is treating me like it's brand new from where it was just installed on the new computer. This is my second failed backup attempt for the sims and I could really use some help.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Issues with moving Sims 4 folder.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »
Here's a link to the post on how to do that.

How-To: Copy Sims 4 game saves to another computer
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21899.msg449653#msg449653
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
I tried the easy method in the link but ultimately it didn't work. For some reason the data was all mixed in together, with the Sims 4 game folder from the game already installed that I've done nothing on, is lost in the mix. I could really use some help. Again.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »
Let me see if I understand?

1. So basically copying your Sims 4 folder from:
C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

2. Copy this folder to backup media of choice.

3. Then copy it from the backup to the same folder on your new computer and let it overwrite:

This did not work?

Or did it get copied to a different folder say for example:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4

If this is what happened, The game will need to be reinstalled.

Do you still have a copy of the Sims 4 folder on your old computer. If so, copy it using the steps above.

The post linked below talks about where to find your game install files as well as where to find your user files. They are both installed in different areas. If the user files get mixed up with the install files. This will cause problems and the game will need to be reinstalled.

My Sims User Folder or Install Files are Missing?
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21899.msg431335#msg431335
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:02:37 PM »
What I believe happened is, that in the link the file says to only copy into the Electronic Arts Folder. I went ahead and followed your instructions in your reply, making the destination The Sims 4 file, the copy on my flash drive named TheSims4Backup. When I compared the files on my computer to the files on my flash drive afterwards, just to be safe, nothing essential was transferred over. I do still have a copy of  the Sims 4 folder on my old computer.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »
I've updated the how-to in the post linked below.

How-To: Copy Sims 4 game saves to another computer
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21899.msg449653#msg449653

Your backup from the other computer transferred to the new computer okay, then?

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:26 PM »
I wish. I could try to recopy the files onto the flash drive. Again. But the files on the backup file didn't transfer successfully the last time. As soon as I copied everything into the Sims 4 folder, it was done but the data from the backup file only appeared on the backup file.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:40:50 PM »
Oh!! I think I understand what's going on. You need to rename your backup file. Name it Sims 4.

If I'm understanding correctly, your file path looks like this:
C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\TheSims4Backup

If so, rename it to The Sims 4

So then it looks like this:

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »
Getting closer, but every time I run the game, the copied files are replaced with brand new data.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:12:06 AM »
Please post a photo of your C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 after you've followed the steps in my previous post.  This will help us try to figure out what's happening.

If you need help with attaching photos to post, see link below.

Attaching Photos to Posts
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26583.msg443597#msg443597

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »
It's all there while the game is running. But the game won't show my households from the folder.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »
It looks like the backup actually worked!! :)

Now you'll want to rename your current save file so it can be recognized by the game.

How-To: Restore a Saved Game
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21519.msg387147#msg387147

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
After I renamed it, I ran the game and my backup file named The Sims 4, is buried in The Sims 4 game folder. I've deleted all the game data, but it keeps coming back when the game runs. I've attached a screenshot of the file folder with the game running.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »
Ah I see what the problem is. You have your Sims 4 folder within your Sims 4 folder.

What I am talking about is this - here's an example:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\The Sims 4

The game cannot see your backup this way. You need to make the backup your main The Sims 4 folder.

Move your Backup Sims 4 folder to the desktop. Go to your Electronic Arts folder (C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\) and rename your current Sims 4 folder to TheSims4Current.

Move back your backup Sims 4 from the desktop to the Electronic Arts folder. Then rename it to The Sims 4.

The path should look like this:
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

Offline 1Kimi115

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 11:06:55 PM »
Mrs Flynn,

It finally worked! I will remember this trick next time I need to restore my games! Thanks to you my legacy challenge is saved! If you would please marked this as resolved in case any players like me, who've been playing since the original games somehow need help with this. ;D

anything