Author Topic: Sims 3 - How do I harvest a plant?  (Read 8957 times)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
Sims 3 - How do I harvest a plant?
« on: December 04, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
I would like to harvest a death flower bush.  How do I do that?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: How do I havest a plant?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »
Aw man.. asking a really hard question.. *Snicker*

HarvestPlants.jpg
Left-click on the plant and select harvest.  If there's a lot of harvestable plants around, they'll harvest all plants until you tell them to stop. 

Carl's Guide to Gardening in Sims 3 -
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/skills/gardening/perfect-plants.php
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »
Thanks a lot, MrsFlynn --- I will try to get the word harvest to pop up when I left click.  Also, thanks for the screenshot and the link :).

Offline Loconut

• Llama Wrangler
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:16:29 AM »
However, important to notice is that the death flower can only be harvested once, the plant will die after. If you have a sim with a high gardening skill they can grow new ones if you've found special seeds, though special seeds can be life fruit or money trees etc. Sims with the green thumb trait can try to bring dead plants back to life once, so a gardener sim with the said trait can potentially harvest a death flower twice.
Blob.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »
@Loconut --- Oh O.K. Thanks for letting me know about a possible work-around to try to get a second harvest from the death flower plant.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
I don't know if this is actual game coding, but it always seemed to me that special seeds found near the graveyard have a high chance of being death flower seeds.

Also, if you have the greenhouse store content, you can identify seeds with it.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
I don't know if this is actual game coding, but it always seemed to me that special seeds found near the graveyard have a high chance of being death flower seeds.

Also, if you have the greenhouse store content, you can identify seeds with it.
@Cheezey --- I found the death flower bush near the graveyard's entrance.  However, I don't know what seeds look like.  I don't have the greenhouse, but maybe I could get it.
I went to http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/skills/gardening/find-seeds.php about seeds.
I'll get my Sims to read the first gardening book, so that, they receive some seeds.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
Make your sim harvest wild apple trees in the park, or buy a few apples at the grocery store, and plant 2 or 3 apple trees. When they become mature, your sim will have reached level 2 or 3. And they produce plenty of apples that increase in quality very easily even with mediocre gardeners. Once your sim has reached level 2, so that they can remove weeds, you can easily plant tomatoes, lettuces and vines.
You can harvest an infinite number of flowers from death flower bushes with DebugEnabler. The mod allows you to revive any plant. It's very convenient for death flowers on community lots. And if you intend to install Seasons later, DebugEnabler can solve glitches linked to plants stuck in "ready for harvest" after Winter.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
@Candyd --- Thanks for the information.  I will buy some fruit and vegetables at the grocery store to plant.  I have too much stuff that shouldn't get wet, so I can't get seasons.  I've never used a mod because of having to re-install them after patches, but thanks, anyway 8)!

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 01:07:15 PM »
Objects outside don't get soaked by rain, so you wouldn't need to worry about having Seasons installed. Rain waters the plants and sims are wet after a while if they don't have umbrellas, but you can have anything you want, even a TV outside, it's fine even under the rain. (and completely illogical LOL)
If you downloaded TS3 from Origin on PC, your patch is 1.69, no update is planned because it's supposed to be the final patch on PC, so there is no need to regularly update mods. It just needs a bit more work as you need to create your own Mods folder and to install the resource.cfg file by yourself (there is one available for download at Nraas).

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »
Objects outside don't get soaked by rain, so you wouldn't need to worry about having Seasons installed. Rain waters the plants and sims are wet after a while if they don't have umbrellas, but you can have anything you want, even a TV outside, it's fine even under the rain. (and completely illogical LOL)
If you downloaded TS3 from Origin on PC, your patch is 1.69, no update is planned because it's supposed to be the final patch on PC, so there is no need to regularly update mods. It just needs a bit more work as you need to create your own Mods folder and to install the resource.cfg file by yourself (there is one available for download at Nraas).
@Candyd --- Thanks a lot for all the information :).  I think I need to get used to TS3 a little more before I add expansion packs.  I'm glad that stuff doesn't get damaged if it rains.  I got TS3 on Steam, but now, I have to log in with Origin because the 2 stuff packs I had wouldn't work with Steam anymore.  I will check my patch number.  It's good to know that this is the last patch.

Offline Loconut

• Llama Wrangler
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 04:21:08 PM »
I have to log in with Origin because the 2 stuff packs I had wouldn't work with Steam anymore.  I will check my patch number.  It's good to know that this is the last patch.

Steam latest patch is 1.67, which is your patch since the game is from steam.
Also, you don't have to log into origin to have the stuff packs I don't think. they should be installed within the game folders. My dragon valley works fine even though I haven't even had origin installed on my computer since the summer.

---Offtopic----

If you end up getting expansion packs, I don't think season should necessarily be the first one you get. It really depends on how you like to play the game. I myself got pets & supernatural when I bought the base game, sínce those two expansion packs were the ones I actually only bought the game for, and it's showed in my sims history, lol. My mods folder for sims 2 was full of genetic mermaid/faun/fairy mods and stuff like that. Also Makin' Magic from the original The Sims was my favourite thing in the whole world when I was a kid, so yeah. Anyway, if you compare your playstyle from TS4 and maybe things you wish were in it you can pretty much figure out what should be the first ep you decide to get if you do decide on getting some to try on. IMHO seasons is something you should only get after you've confirmed that yes I liked this other ep that had gameplay elements I think were more important, since seasons is something that more or less builds on other eps & scenetic.

You like all the secret areas and little quests in TS4 -> Wolrd Adventures / Into the future
You enjoyed get to work a lot ---> Ambitions
Pets ---> Pets (lol)
You miss all the crazy occult lifestates from TS2 & TS ----> supernatural
You love to go on dates & Hold parties and other social events  ----> Late night/ Generations/seasons

---Offtopic----

Also when it comes to cheats, I never tend to use them with death flowers and things like that, I like it when the rarity of certain things is in place. Makes growing them kind of an achievement.
Blob.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »
However, I don't know what seeds look like.  I don't have the greenhouse, but maybe I could get it.
I went to http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/skills/gardening/find-seeds.php about seeds.
I'll get my Sims to read the first gardening book, so that, they receive some seeds.

You can find seeds out and about on the ground in town, but I took a quick screen capture of the spawn points I mentioned specifically.

In this one, the bottom one is a special seed near the graveyard. In my experience this is almost always a death flower seed, though it could turn out to be one of the other types.  Special seeds can be life fruit, flame fruit, money tree, or plasma fruit (if you have Late Night). Plasma fruit seeds will glow red. The top arrow points to a rare seed. If you hover over the seed, it will tell you if it's rare, special, uncommon, or common.

This is another special seed that appeared on the ground near the graveyard.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 06:39:52 PM »
@Loconut --- Thanks for the current patch on Steam.  I'll see what happens when I go through Steam and not Origin.  Origin has been working, but it would be easier if Steam would work.

Thanks for such a detailed explanation of why you got pets and supernatural first --- at the same time as the base game, and for including "If you like to play TS4 this way, then get this pack.

I may or may not use cheats to get death flowers.  They're just so much harder to find/harvest than in TS4.  However, TS3 is great, and I'm really enjoying it.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 06:42:37 PM »
@Cheezey --- Thanks so much for the screenshots of the seeds 8)!  Now, I know what they look like, and I know where the graveyard is, for starters.