Author Topic: Problem placing overhead lights in rooms where you want them to go  (Read 8838 times)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
For awhile now, sometimes, when I place overhead lights in a room in which I want to place them, the light disappears, and the next overhead light tries to be placed in the room. 

At that point, the method that I've been using is
1 first press the esc key.
2 Then, I place the light I intended to place in one room in a different room.
3 Finally, I move the overhead light from the "wrong" room back to the "right room, and then, it stays in the correct place and does not disappear.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Problem placing overhead lights in rooms where you want them to go
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
I'm going to pop this over into the building thread. I'm not sure what might bne going wrong for you so hopefully one of our builders can help.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
@Playalot --- Thanks --- I'll look for this post under the building thread --- I forgot about that part of the forum because it's above all of the pack discussions.  Thanks for letting me know that my thread is being moved :).

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »
I've been playing around with building this morning @coolsim9999999  and I can't place lights in newly built rooms either. I can delete, re-buy, move and place lights in rooms that exist in my game currently but when I build a new room the ceiling lights will just not place on that ceiling at all.

I also can not place build items correctly on the floor. So far the only work around I have been able to come up with is to delete both the ceiling and the floors, place all the lights and furniture you want and then lastly rebuild ceiling and floor and everything stays in place.

No idea if this was caused by the patch or not as I haven't built anything in a while as I have been playing in San Myshuno and just redecorating apartments.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »
I've been playing around with building this morning @coolsim9999999  and I can't place lights in newly built rooms either. I can delete, re-buy, move and place lights in rooms that exist in my game currently but when I build a new room the ceiling lights will just not place on that ceiling at all.

I also can not place build items correctly on the floor. So far the only work around I have been able to come up with is to delete both the ceiling and the floors, place all the lights and furniture you want and then lastly rebuild ceiling and floor and everything stays in place.

No idea if this was caused by the patch or not as I haven't built anything in a while as I have been playing in San Myshuno and just redecorating apartments.

Thanks so much for doing that play testing :)!  I hadn't been having trouble placing items on the floor properly --- just the lights.

So, if a room doesn't have a ceiling or a floor (just lights and furniture/decorations, etc., will the stuff "float" in mid air before I build in the floors and ceilings with the build tool?  What about windows and doors?

Until a week ago, I was mostly (besides learning general stuff about TS3, which I started to play 2 weeks ago. redecorating/remodeling each apartment, penthouse and public lot in San Myshuno, as well --- the penthouse remodels obviously took the longest.  I had the "light problem the entire time --- maybe even since the October patch. 

I've only built one lot since the December patch (for the Vintage Glamour stuff pack), but I'm still having the light issue.  Next week, I'll only have to add decorations and new objects to that lot.

Thanks again for play testing.  I will try your method of putting in the floors and ceilings.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:48:50 PM »
Basically items just place in the normal place and then you can build the floor/ceiling by clicking on the side of the room at the bottom/top and choosing 'build floor/ceiling'. Thing is either my entire sims 4 folder is corrupt or there is something very weird going on with the building tools right now.

I've definitely been able to bulldoze apartments and rebuild the interiors including placing lights normally but now every house I try to build is having this weird placement problem.  I'm giving it a rest for the day as I'm just going around in circles trying to figure it out. I'll give it another go tomorrow, who knows maybe the gnomes might sort it out over night!
;)

@coolsim9999999
*edit: scratch that I've just figured out what the issue is... placing the dance floors seems to be causing the corruption. All the builds I've been testing in and with have a dance floor as soon as I removed the dance floors all lights and build items are placing correctly again.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:56:59 PM »
Oh nice  8)! Thanks so much! There are some dance floors in my builds, but not in every room --- or is it just if a there is a dance floor somewhere on the lot?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 12:35:11 AM »
Just anywhere on the lot seems to cause issues.  :)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 12:36:06 AM »
Oh, O.K.  Thanks, Play :)!

Offline Ninane

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
Just an fyi - I've been working on a remodel of one of the apartments which has a dance floor in it and I've had no issues with placing any items at all.  Maybe it's a certain dance floor.  My apartment has the one that looks like marble floor tiles.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 12:12:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum, @Ninane :)! I use the checkered one most of the time.  I wonder if it matters which dance floor you use.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 02:35:49 AM »
Out of curiosity, which light were you trying to place, the overhanging ceiling lights or wall lights? I downloaded a house with some dance floors on the roof, which made a pretty cool skylight, I didn't bother to replace the ceiling lights as I liked them, but I had no problem placing any other kind of other light.

I did have one weird glitch that happened, I accidently deleted the bedroom window before saving and didn't notice until after I had gone back into the game. There was a big empty square where the window used to be, like someone had just cut a square hole in the wall.  ??? Replacing the wall didn't make it go away, nor did building a new one, the only thing that work was replacing the window. Such a strange glitch, I am wondering if this is also caused by the dance floors but I'm pretty sure I have a different one from you guys, mine is a glass tiled one. I can look it up and post the name if it helps anyone?

I'm having no issues with my dance floor ceiling or as I like to call it, Disco Roof.  ;D I'll let you guys know if I do run into problems though.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
@Rainbow Dash --- I was trying to place ceiling lights.  It doesn't seem to matter which one --- from the flower lights that came with CL or the classic buttercup chandelier.  Wall lights haven't been a problem.

I've been placing the checkered dance floor, lately.

I'm glad you found a way  to fix your bedroom.  That is a weird problem.

Your "Disco Roof" sounds so cool 8)!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 12:58:43 AM »
Yes, I was building with the checkered dance floor too. (Must hop into game to get the correct name!) Wall lights were fine but like coolsims any ceiling light caused issues.

In fact towards the end of my testing placing anything anywhere on the floor of this particular house was difficult. As soon as I removed the dance floor everything went back to behaving as normal including ceiling lights.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 01:36:46 AM »
@Playalot --- The checkered dance floor is called the "Break a Leg" dance floor.  I just checked because I call it the checkered dance floor 8). Thanks for play-testing :).  I will remove the dance floor, which I'm sure will fix the ceiling light problem.