Author Topic: Glaise Immortal Dynasty 2.0: The Clay Hardens (10/21)  (Read 8000 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Glaise Immortal Dynasty 2.0: The Clay Hardens (10/21)
« on: September 18, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »

Actually, hard, unfired bone-dry clay is it at its most fragile state. Did I doom my dynasty with a bad metaphor already? Stay tuned to find out!

Failure stinks, but I'm not gonna let it get to me. In the days following failing the first Glaise dynasty (with a stupid mistake!), I decided to try again immediately. Plus, the faster I get this done, the faster I can start with an actual story loosely based on these guys.

But for now, you get a summary.

Contents

Generation One: Solitude

Generation Two: Wexler

• Coming soon!

Generation Three: Louzao

• Coming (less) soon!
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Glaise Immortal Dynasty 2.0: The Clay Hardens (9/18)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:38:25 AM »
Solitude Glaise

One Unique Career:
  • Culinary/Chef Branch

Two Unique Aspirations:
  • Master Chef
  • Friend of the World

Three Maxed Skills
  • Cooking
  • Gourmet Cooking
  • Charisma

Four Unique Rewards:
  • Insta-Lean
  • Stove and Grills Master
  • Free Services
  • Carefree

Five Gold Parties
  • Dinner Party
  • Date w/ Maaike Haas
  • House Party
  • Birthday Party
  • Wedding to Maaike Haas

Six Good Friends (and one a little more special):
  • Eliza Pancakes (BFF)
  • Yuki Behr
  • Candy Behr
  • Gunther Munch
  • Don Lothario
  • Joaquin Le Chien

Seven Emotional Whims:
  • Take a Shower (Tense)
  • Take a Cold Shower (Angry)
  • View a Piece of Art (Inspired)
  • Tell a Joke (Happy)
  • Tell a Dirty Joke (Playful)
  • Play Don’t Wake the Llama (Bored)
  • Hip Bump Someone (Energized)

Eight Museum Items (Frogs):
  • Whirlyflower Frog ($160)
  • Total: $1280

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »
Whelp, looks like Imgur's down. And it's late, so I'll have to give Solitude's recap tomorrow.

In the mean time, you can look at my spreadsheet. I update it as I go along, so you can get the updates before they're updates. ;)

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »
Imgur is back! It's otherwise a super-reliable image host, so no offense taken. :)

Solitude Glaise: The Highlight Reel

A Family Tradition

"Christ, a dynasty again? I guess I am really like grandpa."

"But I get a new shirt? Sweet."

Solitude can trace her legacy down through a long line of dynasty heirs and helpmates, and I bet she got loads of tales of failures and starting over as her bedtime stories. Which often included free makeovers too! Well, at least that's the stuff in my mind. Solitude was a CAS-creation who happens to have a backstory. And yes, a slightly-new wardrobe.

I digress. Stories are for later and that's been the plan this whole time. Right now, she has a challenge to complete. Without dying this time, okay? (I actually had a scare while playing today but she's fine). However, it's always time for a recap! What has our little green devil done?

I actually want to talk about her frogs first. Mostly because I feel so stupid for not realizing that you're supposed to breed them! I didn't figure it out until around Solitude's elder birthday (whether before or after, I forget). So that is why I have so many unnecessary shots of her frog hunting. I could have had a whole army of Whirlyflower frogs instead of...eight. I was breeding them right up to Solitude's ambrosia day too (also why her ambrosia was delayed from soon after her elder birthday to halfway through elderhood).

Oh, and let's not mention how it didn't dawn on her that you could breed frogs of the same type and get frogs of the same type until even later. Cue a lot of often-fruitless breeding of Sunflower and HypnoFrogs until I realized that there was an even easier way.

But I have the best collection of frogs a founder could have, so it's fine.

So...yeah, I can't say my plans for Solitude's skills and careers changed much at all. Here they are represented by her cooking, and making Eliza Pancakes her BFF (Eliza is the epitome of "boring sim" to me, so I wasn't going to throw a pollinator at her, thus making her prime material for a unique best friend. She and Bob had perfect childfree bliss...as far as I'm concerned). The big difference was that I floundered a lot less.

Random notes:

• Definitely floundered a lot less. Last time, I didn't decide on the Friend of the World aspiration until Solitude was an adult. That meant she wasn't skilling up in charisma until she was an adult. Yikes! YIKES. This time, I actually made Friend of the World her aspiration straight out of CAS. That meant getting the Gregarious trait, as opposed to Essence of Flavor. And it really does make befriending a lot easier, which is crucial for more than the aspiration. In order to move in pollinators, someone has to befriend someone else.
  • On the flip-side, I was stumped as to why Solitude was making crap dishes at first. Duh, no Essence of Flavor trait! She improved in time, though.
  • My original cooking strategy was for Solitude to bake cakes and even more cakes, as those are the most efficient for leveling up skilling. It was a fleeting detail in the first attempt, but it resulted in everyone getting kind of fat because all they had was cake! Or in Solitude's case, bulking up all the way to being normal. It's pretty jarring when I'm still used to TS3 and how it took me six generations to crack the code (not the literal game code, though. Sorry folks) of permanent weight gain for sims (note: you have to eat a number of full meals of any kind when you still have the "Stuffed" moodlet. Maybe the lasting effect was a glitch, but Jo Waverly got permanently fat while pregnant because she was stuffed with watermelons at all times and ate full meals for those sweet moodlets).

Anyways, Solitude assembled a lot of salads and fish dishes. And she fulfilled her goals, but it took so much longer. In a twist, she actually maxed out charisma before either of the cooking skills.
  • I still hate career-dependent aspirations. Which is why Wexler has to do one too. :-\

Hmm, notes about parties?

Solitude's adult birthday was the first time ever that I've gotten gold on a Birthday Party. And I'm honestly shocked because I had to celebrate for seven sims. Solitude, Maaike, Ulrike, and four (!) pollinators who I got as adults (this was deliberate: I got ones that were either original adults or generated on the first day. They comprised my second wave of pollinators. But that's for another section of the post). That's seven cakes to bake! And I threw most of them away once the party was over. But it took Solitude forever to do them, and there were a few redos as some cheeky sims got a slice before she could put a topper on them.

But a gold birthday meant one important thing: NO WEENIE ROAST. It's an inevitability for some later heirs (not everyone will get married, and I don't have the deluxe edition or Spooky Stuff, so no black-and-white parties or Halloween ones).

The others were pretty straightforward. House and dinner parties are pretty much a breeze for me now, as are dates and weddings.

Oh yeah. Dates, weddings, this implies that Solitude had a romance. A wife. A Maaike!

The Wifey

I love Maaike. Not only does she appeal to my love for cuddly, geeky lesbians, but she and Solitude are probably the most gooey and pure couple I've encountered so far.

It started out like any friendship in this dynasty. Cloudgazing, and some charisma-building socials too. Getting chummy with Ulrike too. I actually waited a day to move them in, as I wanted to grab pollinators first (and make sure I had a save that was generating suitable ones from the start: i.e., colorful, older men. Preferably professional fishers or gardeners).

Though in a twist, I lagged with the romance on those two. The spark was there, but you know what else was? Looming dynasty requirements. Maaike had her hands tied too. Half her waking hours were spent fishing, and the other half working on her original aspiration of being a Bestselling Author. Why work on one aspiration when you can work on two? I know that Maaike made quite a few points that way.

But dates and weddings tie into the requirements too, so I eventually kicked myself into gear.

Wooo!

Solitude eventually returned to the Motherland, the Light Side of family hometown Twinbrook (for real, Willow Creek is probably Twinbrook's sunny, clean, economically-stable neighbor). I wanted a nice place for a date/unscripted romantic afternoon (it was the latter), and remembered the cherry trees in Willow Creek. They have blossoms every day of the year!

"Maaike, I know my grandparents got engaged somewhere around here and then they divorced, but I just wanted to..."

"...make a better memory."

"Hmm, a top quality ring. I supposed you're the one after all."

No matter how many times it happens, this looks like a bad idea.

I wouldn't have a scenic wedding for another few weeks. I wanted a quick and dirty gold medal party, since I basically had one shot at it for Solitude. And I wouldn't dare have them divorce!

But the lovely mountainous/coastal view from the lot really came through.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 08:23:22 PM »
Yay! You're back! What your wedding lacked in fancy scenery, it made up for in absolutely perfect wardrobe. Man, those two are cute together.

Excited for more!

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:11 PM »
You are right, Maaike is super adorable. And when I run MC with same sex couples on, she almost always ends up with a woman. Your founder is very unique looking, those CC teeth really make a big difference! Which wifey will be getting preggo, I wonder...

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Yay! You're back! What your wedding lacked in fancy scenery, it made up for in absolutely perfect wardrobe. Man, those two are cute together.

Excited for more!

@FrancescaFiori: Sorry for the wait, but yes there is more! More to recap with Solitude, but it counts, right?

You are right, Maaike is super adorable. And when I run MC with same sex couples on, she almost always ends up with a woman. Your founder is very unique looking, those CC teeth really make a big difference! Which wifey will be getting preggo, I wonder...

@Tilia: I love those CC fangs but they do remind me how I hate one of the weirdest limitations to Change Sim (without cheats, anyways). In Change Sim, you can change their face, body proportions, frame, biological sex, voice...but adding skin details like wrinkles and freckles is just too much and would be cheaty, amirite? :( And Solitude's teeth are skin details! There's an accessory version that I use for everyone else, but I have to apply it to every. Single. Outfit.

And there's an answer to that...now!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Glaise Immortal Dynasty 2.0: The Clay Hardens (9/25)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 11:08:34 PM »
Neither...or Both?

"Which wifey will be getting preggo, I wonder..." - @Tilia, 09/19/2016

I use the "Unisex Patch" for the clothes, which might be obvious by Maaike and Solitude's fashion. But I was decidedly old-fashioned when it came to babymaking.

Okay, I had a reason for this.

So the dynasty that got me into the TS3 Hall of Fame, by a stroke of sheer luck, produced rainbow heirs throughout with no meddling by me. Everyone had human-colored spouses made from original townie blood. That was amazing, but why chance it again? As fun as it would have been to see Maaike and Solitude's genes mix, I don't want a fleshy human kid from them. I want a colorful demon spawn!

It bears repeating, but the custom skin color set that I use for Solitude and her cohorts generates on new townies. So it makes this job easier and less susceptible to inbreeding (or "I don't have to rely on aliens HELL YEAH-")

(Also, the fact of "Solitude's 'mother' species don't operate with human genetics, and apply their teeth and skin to any hybrids of their species, regardless of how diluted it is" kind of became canon for me after the Waverlys. Are they the same species? I'm not that creative. And what better way to get a cast of colorful, diluted space-demon hybrids simply by breeding with their fellow colorful, diluted space-demon hybrids)

Solitude did not need to choose anyone based on her actual attraction. So that was on me.

While Change Sim does not allow changes to skin color or skin details (still, what the heck-), I'm so glad it let me do everything else! I grabbed the Glaise's former maid, and as if he was a slab of clay, moulded him into Dorian Hoch, V.2.

I was sad to lose the original Dorian from the first attempt. I loved the particular shade of deep, sapphire blue he was. Now he's a piece of...pink sapphire. The original Dorian was a lot lankier, but Solitude had more than enough of that to go around. And in a twist, I actually snagged a sim older than Solitude this time, instead of waiting for a teenager to age up. I always stall with babymaking, and I wanted Generation Two to know her daddy...I guess not as much this time.

So it was halfway through Solitude and Maaike's adult life stage when I realized I kind of needed to jump on babymaking instead of making everyone go on fishing excursions. My fisherman passed on and I wanted to compensate, but not at the expense of my dynasty's bloodline! (and yeah, Dorian is a "frumpy crossdresser" some of the time. My metric isn't gender-conformity, it's simply if it fits his aesthetic)

"Ready to give up your gold star?"

"No, not really."

"Ugh, they're doing the deed in our bed, and they're gonna make us do it too."

"Don't be ridiculous, we're all too gay for that!"

Oh Gunther Munch, you sweet summer child.

"I don't care if we dirty the sauna."

My other motivation for using the Old Way of reproduction for Solitude and Maaike was for simple genetic diversity. Solitude could have her colorful kid, and Maaike could have a child with an original townie. Because it isn't a Trip dynasty without original townie blood.

Gunther Munch was far from the most attractive choice, but if the two of them were straight, I could see them being together.

"You know, your ribs feel like Solitude's, if I don't think about it much."

Thankfully for me, they both got it done on the first try.

And thankfully for Dorian too, who aged up to elder the next day. And I used plenty of elderly pollinators, but I didn't want the discomfort and hassle with Dorian.

The Ballad of Ulrike Faust

It's worth mentioning Maaike's little tag-along.

Ulrike Faust contributed very little to dynasty requirements, and a whole lot to painting and making money. Often, she would be the only one at home to witness deaths. Poor Trinh, we all loved him! And I think Solitude still got a bad moodlet for her elderly friend dying, but Ulrike otherwise didn't care.

As an original townie, Ulrike's reproductive system would not go unused either.

"Just accept it Joaquin. You're in a dynasty."

"Oh, well, that changes everything. I thought you were just gonna ambush me."

What I did in my first attempt was pair Ulrike with Marcus Flex, but due to Marcus' age, he turned out to be a more strategic pollinator than a babydaddy to a live-in. I was also sad in my original attempt when Joaquin Le Chien passed away before I could use his genes, so why not? He and Ulrike became fast friends, and he hung around the house enough to make an easy good friend for Solitude as well.

"Cool slippers, hun."

So on the same night that Solitude and Maaike's babies were conceived, Ulrike decided to let Joaquin stay the night too.

"I'll show you the worst things I can do in these slippers."

"Ha, neat."

"I'm gonna regret being a part of this family."

Oh, and I made a point to get a pic of everyone's third-trimester baby bumps. Because they come in a fun variety of sizes!

Normal...

...big...

...and I'm so sorry for you.

Also, here's a bonus shot of Ulrike's terrible career garb. It looked just as bad when she wasn't pregnant.

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 07:24:39 PM »
I believe that hat is therapeutic, in that you can turn it upside down to catch morning sickness.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 06:41:56 PM »
Wow! Nice job re-creating Dorian. If it weren't for the skin color I wouldn't know the difference! I love his frumpy cross-dressing, too. Suits him perfectly!

The pregnant belly comparison was great. Poor, poor Maaike!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 09:22:51 PM »
So happy to see that Solitude Glaise is back for more!

Wow, everyone conceived on the same night! The Glaise household learns us why it's called "getting busy."

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Glaise Immortal Dynasty 2.0: The Clay Hardens (10/18?)
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »
I believe that hat is therapeutic, in that you can turn it upside down to catch morning sickness.

Ha.

Wow! Nice job re-creating Dorian. If it weren't for the skin color I wouldn't know the difference! I love his frumpy cross-dressing, too. Suits him perfectly!

The pregnant belly comparison was great. Poor, poor Maaike!

I gave Dorian some feminine outfits in the original attempt as well, but they didn't fit his aesthetic (they looked waaaaay too summery and stylish against his kind of dorky masculine outfits) and he never wore them anyways!

I'm not usually one for skirts, but if you want superior ventilation on a hot day, it's worth trying out for anyone. :P

I prefer the sometimes-ridiculous baby bumps in TS4 to the small and unvaried ones in earlier games (the lack of smooth growth that TS3 had is a bummer, though). At the expense of my poor ladies.

So happy to see that Solitude Glaise is back for more!

Wow, everyone conceived on the same night! The Glaise household learns us why it's called "getting busy."

In all honestly, that was probably my stupidest idea. Even one baby in this game stresses me out, because I can't check their needs (and I made the stupid decision to place all the cribs on the third floor. Didn't even learn my lesson for generation 3).

Oh man, I really got ahead of myself:

I'll fill everyone in on the rest of Solitude's details and then Wexler's eventually, but playing beats summarizing. Sigh. :P

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
I'm so glad you updated. I loved the summaries (also, may I say, your game looks beautiful!). Looking forward to see where this beautiful Rainbow family has gone - if you do get around to more summaries. I completely understand that playing is much more fun sometimes. :)
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 12:41:40 AM »
Hooray! Immortality! I totally understand about playing beating summarizing, but thanks for sharing the good news!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 11:51:51 AM »
I'm so glad you updated. I loved the summaries (also, may I say, your game looks beautiful!). Looking forward to see where this beautiful Rainbow family has gone - if you do get around to more summaries. I completely understand that playing is much more fun sometimes. :)

It's the weekend, and the weekend is for stuff I can't get away with doing at work. ;)

They're going to places alright! But I hope the final stop is the Hall of Fame.

I'm a CC-hog and I'm trying to make fewer regretful decisions about CC for TS4. So everything is quality-assessed to see if it fits with my Aesthetic (tm). At least the game is nice to look at while I slog through requirements!

Hooray! Immortality! I totally understand about playing beating summarizing, but thanks for sharing the good news!

You're welcome!

anything