Author Topic: Help with wrap around porch  (Read 13882 times)

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
Help with wrap around porch
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:42:46 PM »
Hello!

I want to build a Victorian house with a wrap around porch, like this:

I just can't figure out how to do the part that is kinda like a gazebo. Any pointers?

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
Re: Help with wrap around porch
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 05:58:03 AM »
Just make a roof really really flat. :) Hipped and half hipped seem to be the best.

I don't know how to do octagonal roofs wider than 1 tile. To get things to join up nicely, the game likes neat 90 degree angles. I actually took a few minutes to try and recreate (a bad approximation of) that house in-game because pictures are better.

It's a bit coincidental. Outside of sims, I was recently having a conversation specifically about wrap around porches with a friend. So I've been visting build mode on and off to make a house with a wrap around porch. No solution is perfect. The 3rd one here is simply deleting the roof, and using the Smooth Keeper, placing them as you would any other fence. Once you've created a "room" the floor is filled in, and a wood pattern seem the best choice. There's also more room for windows this way. If there's a way to do octagonal roofs, I'd use that often.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
Thank you! The third picture is exactly what I've been trying to do.

Question though, How did you do the foundation under the octagon? I could not get that work for me.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:15:23 AM »
I find it's usually easier to build a straight deck larger than you need, then use the Square Deck (Diagonal) as a tool to delete the bits you don't want, like so:

From there, I grabbed an arrow to extend that diagonal bit, and hit "delete" so what remains is the deck as we want. I often use the little bits of triangle deck, but when it comes to extending an odd-shaped deck, it can get messy. This is good way to clean up the messy bits.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:20:56 PM »
Oh perfect, thank you! I'm going to try this.

anything