Author Topic: New to sims 4 - building question  (Read 4228 times)

Offline norenegonc

• Occult
New to sims 4 - building question
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:45:45 AM »
Hello everyone! Glad to return to these wonderful forums. Long-time sims 3 builder that just started sims 4. I must say the building is not as intuitive as the trailers led me to believe, or maybe I am too used to sims 3. It is quite cool though because I must redefine my build style, in sims 3 my specialty was CFE and without that it seems I must learn all new cool techniques :)

I should also say I don't play the sims much, mostly my enjoyment from the game comes from building and then showcasing the builds on forums or the Gallery. So with that in mind my question is this - What wall height is best to utilise? I noticed there are 3, and I cannot tell what seems best so far. When I say best, I meant mostly what wall height do most people like, as I am mostly building for others it seems appropriate to build in the size that most people like.

I started my first build at the tallest wall height because I like living in apartments with tall ceilings so I figured that makes sense haha. It seemed okay at first but then when I went back to the city/world view it just looks enormously sprawling now, way bigger than everything else. I included a picture below (just my first build so nothing too fancy yet haha, still learning a lot of the more advanced techniques, without CFE in the game I don't know what to do sometimes). Any advice on the wall heights people generally utilise would be appreciated. I understand of course people often vary the heights but I just wanted to know what people use generally or what height people like to see in the builds they download from forums/Gallery. Thanks!

Picture -

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
Re: New to sims 4 - building question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:08:47 PM »
Hello everyone! Glad to return to these wonderful forums. Long-time sims 3 builder that just started sims 4. I must say the building is not as intuitive as the trailers led me to believe, or maybe I am too used to sims 3. It is quite cool though because I must redefine my build style, in sims 3 my specialty was CFE and without that it seems I must learn all new cool techniques :)

I should also say I don't play the sims much, mostly my enjoyment from the game comes from building and then showcasing the builds on forums or the Gallery. So with that in mind my question is this - What wall height is best to utilise? I noticed there are 3, and I cannot tell what seems best so far. When I say best, I meant mostly what wall height do most people like, as I am mostly building for others it seems appropriate to build in the size that most people like.

I started my first build at the tallest wall height because I like living in apartments with tall ceilings so I figured that makes sense haha. It seemed okay at first but then when I went back to the city/world view it just looks enormously sprawling now, way bigger than everything else. I included a picture below (just my first build so nothing too fancy yet haha, still learning a lot of the more advanced techniques, without CFE in the game I don't know what to do sometimes). Any advice on the wall heights people generally utilise would be appreciated. I understand of course people often vary the heights but I just wanted to know what people use generally or what height people like to see in the builds they download from forums/Gallery. Thanks!

Picture -

Wow, Norenegonc, this is a really cool build ---- nice roof on Oakenstead and brick wall detail --- and even a bridge.

I generally use the tall wall --- except for an accent wall, here and there.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 06:21:37 AM »
On a two-floor house, I don't mind tall walls, and sometimes they're necessary to make room for a frieze. Usually, I go with tall walls on the ground floor room and medium above that, but it depends on so many factors. The houses can get too high. The more floors, the less keen I am to use high walls. Your house here is really quite awesome.

This house of mine isn't nearly as creative as yours, but I went with tall-medium. The roof wraps around a 3rd floor (as yet unused) which might also be medium. And this house also seems to be much bigger than everything around it on the world view page thing.

It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline norenegonc

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words! I like the house you build House Foam. It looks like somewhere one could actually play. I believe I went a bit overboard with mine, I was trying to create someplace I would want to actually play the game, but lots that are too large or have too many objects on them just lag so much. I am surprised that you are saying even that house looks large compared to every other house in world view, because it looks smaller, but then when I consider it has tall walls, that does make sense. It seems like most houses in the game are build with small walls.

I actually ended up changing the entire lot to medium walls because when I began placing furniture, everything (all the cabinets, appliances, etc.) look sooooo tiny, like their toys, standing next to the sprawling walls. In particular the distance between counters and wall cabinets is huge with the tall walls, and if I place the overhead cabinets lower, closer to the counters, there is a large awkward empty space on the wall. Even medium seems huge, but then short seems so squished. I feel like I would've rather had just 1 wall choice haha, then everything could be standard because even with a medium wall I am constantly enlarging stuff like paintings, floor plants, etc, so they don't look ridiculously small on the walls.

I am wondering how the actual sims will look in a house with tall walls? I feel like they will all look like children in a toy house haha.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
In particular the distance between counters and wall cabinets is huge with the tall walls, and if I place the overhead cabinets lower, closer to the counters, there is a large awkward empty space on the wall. Even medium seems huge, but then short seems so squished.

Pretty much. :) I'm sure most people who've built a house have had those thoughts. The space above the overhead counters doesn't worry me too much, so the size of wall is usually determined by the shape and style I want the house. In general, space is luxury. Medium is not huge. Once you've hosted a few dinner parties or weddings, you'll have a better idea of how much space you need. In my grander houses, the dining room (with tall walls) is always quite substantial. I've got one which is 11x7.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.