Author Topic: Playing from a copied folder?  (Read 2271 times)

Tycobb

Playing from a copied folder?
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:02:33 AM »
Hello, I intend to reformat my computer in the coming days.
My question is if it's allright to make a copy of the Electronic Arts folder in Program Files and My Documents, paste it in my external HDD
and then pasting it back into the same places after the reformat is done?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Playing from a copied folder?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't do that or you could transfer it to a thumb drive, if your computer has the slot and it is large enough.  I think it would work either way.  I have read where either way has been successful.  Good luck. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:43:06 AM »
It's ok to do it, but you won't be getting it to work that way without making a copy of the relevant registry files.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
In my opinion, the most simple thing would be to copy and save the save files themselves externally, then re-install the game the normal way and just paste the save files back in the relevant folder. :-\
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
I had my Sims folder copied to a thumbdrive.  My desktop needed to have a factory reset.  I'm not sure what a reformat is.  Anyways, I had to re-install everything, I plop my copy of my Sims folder into my documents and had no problems when I played it. 
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

Tycobb

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
Cool, yeah I was worried about the game not being in the computer's registry.
My reason for doing this is because I do not have the game's disc with me so I can't reinstall it.
I guess I'll try it out with copy and paste first  and try to get the disc in the meantime.
Oh btw, reformatting is like a factory reset. You basically wipe off everything in the cpu and install them back. It's like getting a new computer!

Offline TGBlank

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:26:49 AM »
On the "how to uninstall xxxx manually", which are there in the rare case the uninstaller doesn't do it's job, you'll find which registry entries you need to backup in order to make things work.
If you don't want to go that route, just backup the sims 3 folder in your documents folder, and paste it (or the bits of it you are interested in) on top after reinstall.

oh btw, reformatting is like a factory reset. you basically wipe off everything in the cpu and install them back , it's like getting a new computer!
Software-wise, at least.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.