Author Topic: Latest window update causing my origin to crash? *Solved*  (Read 2688 times)

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
Latest window update causing my origin to crash? *Solved*
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:22:45 AM »
Hello!

I am beyond frustrated. My Sims 4 game has been working pretty good since I installed through origin last November. However when I went to play tonight, every time I went to open the game my computer would completely freeze up. I restarted my computer and tried going through the origin tab and the same thing would happen. I could not figure what was going and went looking for solutions, I tried the "run origin as admin" and that did nothing but it hit me that it was just "Patch Tuesday" for windows ( I have windows 7) and my system just updated last night.

Has anyone encountered a problem with windows updating and origin crashing as a result? Am I wrong in my thinking this is the problem?
If I am right...how do I fix it?

Thanks for any help in advance!

*Solution*

Just wanted to update this real quick and say I managed to get Origin up and running again. I had to a system restore but thankfully that proved to be alot easier than having to go through all the different services on my computer.

Just thought I would put this here should anyone else ever have a similar problem.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Latest window update causing my origin to crash?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:05:41 PM »
We didn't run into the same problem when updating. Origin was able to open and run the game just fine.

An idea of what happened, Origin may have been open when the updates were installed. So it may be best to uninstall Origin and reinstall it to see if that helps.

Uninstall/Reinstall the Origin Client (Howto)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,21898.msg431239.html#msg431239
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:27:47 PM »
I just tried uninstalling Origin and it made my computer freeze before it even got halfway through the process.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:50:15 PM »
I did a search on the problem and this is what I was able to find:

Origin freezes up my computer
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Origin-freezes-up-my-computer/td-p/4513945

If none of the tips in the above thread help. It may be best to contact EA's Customer Service to see if they maybe able to help better.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:54:43 PM »
I seen this too. I'm just nervous about doing a clean boot. I'm not going to lose anything am I?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:16 PM »
Make yourself a backup of your Sims 4 folder - Copy the folder to your desktop, hard drive or flash drive. Then try the clean boot. You shouldn't loose anything. Specially if you make a backup. That way if something does by chance happen. You've got your backup that you can use to play the game with.

The link below is more of a howto do a factory reset, but can be used to show how to make a backup of the Sims 4 folder.

Sims 4 Factory Reset (Howto)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,21899.msg401669.html#msg401669

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:31 AM »
I had time to do a clean boot tonight and while in...clean boot mode ( I don't know how else to put it) I tried opening origin and it opened just fine and even went into the game just fine. I put back everything to normal, restarted again and as soon as I tried started Origin, it froze again. I'll do more trouble shooting later but I just find it really odd it did that.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 12:01:13 AM »
Here is a link to some troubleshooting tips.

How to troubleshoot installation issues
https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-troubleshoot-installation-issues/

I can't believe I didn't ask this before. Have you tried turning off Origin In-Game? This may help it stop crashing. -- In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game.

I'm not sure how well those tips will work. As we've never really had a problem like this with Origin. I do have Origin In-game turned off.

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 01:48:12 AM »
I haven't tried turning Origin off in game only because I can't open Origin or the game without it freezing my computer. My bet is still the Windows update did something as there were zero problems with origin or the game before the latest update, it's just a matter of finding where the problem is and how to fix it. I've now turned off the auto install for Windows update ( so this doesn't happen again in the future) and someone suggested to me going through the no MS services on my computer a few at a time and basically narrow down the list until I find the culprit.

Offline ShiningStar

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:57:34 AM »
Just wanted to update this real quick and say I managed to get Origin up and running again. I had to a system restore but thankfully that proved to be alot easier than having to go through all the different services on my computer.

Just thought I would put this here should anyone else ever have a similar problem.