Author Topic: The Well-Read Writer  (Read 30108 times)

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
Re: The Well-Read Writer
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »
Well, it's just past 10pm here now and I am going to post my score, even though I didn't quite make it to elder (I was at work until 1am this morning and then had to go back in at 10am and only got out at 3pm and haven't been back to sleep yet)... Anyway, long story short (pun intended), Temperance Reichs made the grand total of R124 941! Sorry, I probably should put it as Dollars but I'm feeling patriotic today lol so the South African Rand it is!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline SIMantics101

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
By the time he turned elder, my writer sim, Warren Peace had $273,223.

Congratulations to the top scorers!  And thanks to the moderators for putting together another fun challenge!  Looking forward to the next one.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sone

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Occult
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2016, 10:10:58 PM »
Sophia Pierce finished at $183,062.

Offline kearn76

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Eve Simly achieved elderhood with a tidy sum of 217,116 simoleons.   She believes some of her best work is still to come.....

Yay, I finished!   ;)

Karen

Offline Minnie Mouse

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »
I've been watching these challenges for a while, but this one is the first I've actually completed (and I'm pretty happy with the result). Richard Castle retired at a ripe old age with 668,252 simoleons from his writing career.

Side note... Maybe next time I'll forgo the extra practice round and not have to scramble to finish on time. 11:30 PM was probably cutting it a little too close. Lesson learned!  :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2016, 06:02:43 AM »
This challenge is now closed.

Great job, everyone. That was some nice participation towards the end. Hats off to Nutella for her very impressive score. Everyone is now free to share strategy.

Offline thekatie0409

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2016, 02:03:12 PM »
My strategy was to get to level 3 of the writing career early. This gives two advantages. The first is that once you get to level three, the sim will write books twice as fast, so  it only takes 2 hours to write books instead of 4. The second advantage is that it unlocks the 'Still Life with Apple and Pitcher and Books and Bottles and Flowers!' which gives off +5 inspired, so if you put a bunch of those up you can be very inspired all the time with no effort and increase the quality/royalties of all the books you write. To do that I focused week 1 on getting aspiration points to buy the connections reward. After joining the career you have 3 vacation days and 3 days off, so there's about 8-9 days before you actually need to go to work, and that is plenty of time to get the slacker reward so that you get all the advantages of the writing career but don't have to work a single day.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline tjtemple

• Occult
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
My score barely seems worth my describing, but I also tried to get connections and the writer career.  My sim came unstuck trying to write a "sad" book, and ended up having to wait for his lonely adult birthday.  I would love to hear how the top scorers approached this.

Come on @Nutella and @thekatie0409 please teach us humble mortals your secrets! :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »
My score barely seems worth my describing, but I also tried to get connections and the writer career.  My sim came unstuck trying to write a "sad" book, and ended up having to wait for his lonely adult birthday.  I would love to hear how the top scorers approached this.

Come on @Nutella and @thekatie0409 please teach us humble mortals your secrets! :)

I'm not a top scorer, but I made my sim sad by having her look at the Tragic Clown painting. When I was practicing before we got the patch that gave us the Tragic Clown painting, I kept her away from people until her social meter was in the orange level, which made her sad. I then took a selfie to use when she was ready to write.

Congrats, Nutella! and <facepalm> @thekatie0409, because I didn't think of getting the Slacker reward. The rewards I got, in order, were Connections, Marketable, Creative, Independent, and Hardly Hungry. I had a glitch in that when my sim aged up, she aged up twice. I sent her over to the Landgraabs to make herself a birthday cake and I must have cut it too tight because she aged up a second time right after blowing out the candles. Anyway, she lost the "traits" I'd bought for her, so I had to pick up Marketable and a couple of the others again. I never did get Speed Reader because I discovered in my practice that cutting back on reading time meant that she didn't gain quite enough fun. I had her read while using the toilet so I never did get Steel Bladder either.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »
Sorry about the delay in posting strategy, had a bit of real life stuff today.  Lots of these already covered by thekatie0409, with some of my own added stuff.

Tip #1 -- Writer Career
You need at least writer career level 3 to be able to get the speed boost in writing books.  Level 1 and 2 won't work.  2 hours to write a book vs the normal 4 hours to write a book, that is the biggest tip/strategy I can offer anyone.

Tip #2  -- Connections Reward
So you need at least career level 3.  Get connections as soon as you can so you join writer career at level 4 with the writing speed boost.

Tip #3 -- Professional Slacker Reward
You want the writing speed but don't want to waste time going to work.  Yet you don't want to get fired from work (for missing work all the time).  Use your 3 vacation days, then buy this reward so you don't have to worry about getting fired.

Tip #4 -- Very Inspired
Need to constantly stay in very inspired mood to write your books.  I have outdoors (+2), environment (+2), inspired (+2), cloudgaze (+1), loner (+1), and I can always view inspired art to get another +2 if needed.

Tip #5 -- Don't waste time
Again, all about efficiency.  Ask yourself what can you do to save time.  Do you let your sim walk to the bathroom?  Do you let your sim wander around?  Control your sim at all time and never let him/her do stuff by themselves.  Move the bathroom next to your sim if he/she needs to pee.  Move the bed next to your sim if he/she needs to sleep.  Only take a few steps around your lot to complete your task when possible.

Tip #6 -- Loner Trait
Well I did mention don't waste time right?  If you have loner trait, you never have to worry about socializing.  My socialize bar was constantly in the max red, no worries.

Tip #7 -- Cooking
Yes, you read it right.  This is a writing challenge but cooking was super important for me.  I spend the first day (Sunday) doing nothing but cook, use all the cooking whims I can get to get points.  Sunday 11:30am I had 1000 points, bought speed reader.  Read faster and gain fun level faster, what's not to like about this reward?  By next day Monday 9:00am I had another 3000 points, bought Connections.  This is when I stop cooking.  I joined writer career and start to get my first level in writing.  So from Sunday to Monday 9am, I cook, no writing.

Tip #8 -- Prose and Pop
Before you level writing, make sure you level mixology to level 2 so you can make prose and pop.  Drink one of these before writing, you will gain writing skill levels faster.  Don't remember exactly how much faster, I think is 50% faster.

Tip #9 -- Future Cube
This is mainly for getting the "SAD" emotion to write your sad book.  After I write the children book, I had many positive emotions.  I went to sleep waiting for some of the positive emotions to fall off.  I wait until I have only +5 happy (2 from environment 2 from outdoors and 1 from loner).  I built a small square room and went inside, this will get rid of the +2 from environment and +2 from outdoors, leaving only +1 happy from loner trait.  Use the future cube and ask about love life - if results is negative, you will get sad moodlet buff.  Quickly click on the computer to start writing a sad book -- when your sim walks out of that room into the next room to write sad book, even if your mood change to happy or inspired, you can still write the sad book as long as you already have the action queue up.  If the future cube is successful, you will get romantic moodlet.  Don't worry, use the cube and ask scientific (or something else) to get rid of the romantic, then use the cube again to ask love life.  Keep repeating until you get sad.

Tip #10 -- Write one genre
Not sure if this one helps, but I think it does.  After finishing writing all the genres, I wrote mainly mystery books.  Well I did write some other genres to get whim points earlier, but after 2nd week when I don't really need whim points anymore, I only write mystery books.

Tip #11 -- Good Bed & Computer
I bought the most expensive single bed on the first day with my starting money.  The one that give you +10 energy, I think it's called Princess Cordelia something.  Didn't have enough money to buy the $10,000 computer, so I use the cheapest computer at first - when it breaks, I will call for repair and read book while I wait for repair.  After I get some money from royalties and have enough, immediately buy the $10,000 computer.  That one is unbreakable, so I never have to worry about breaking it.  I like to queue up writing book action for my sim and run on super fast speed.  Sometimes if it breaks, my sim will waste time waving her hands and wandering around if I don't catch her and stop her immediately. 

Reward Traits Summary:
Speed Reader (Week 1 Sunday 11:30am)
Connections (Week 1 Monday 9:00am)
Never Weary (Week 1 Wednesday 2:00pm)
Creative Visionary (Week 1 Thursday 7:00am)
ASPIRATION COMPLETE (Week 2 Sunday 10:00am)
Professional Slacker (Week 2 Sunday 10:00am)
Steel Bladder (Week 2 Monday 10:00am)
Hardly Hungry (Week 2 Thursday 4:00pm)
Frugal (Week 3 Sunday 9:00pm)
Antiseptic (Week 3 Tuesday 6:30pm)
Marketable / Free Services / Speed Cleaner (Week 4) -- These are not too important. 

Marketable only affect the last day when you can't send your books out for royalties, instead you have to sell your books via inventory.
Free Services was for my sim since she broke her shower and needed repair.  Don't repair yourself, hire repair service.  If you have the free service reward, it is free.  If you don't, the repairman will only charge your around $105 for repair.
Speed Cleaner was for my shower also, since it was dirty and gave me negative moodlet.  I had extra whim points so why not, bought that and clean the shower quick.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »
@Nutella
Brilliant strategy!  Thanks for sharing so much detail!

Offline tjtemple

• Occult
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »
So that's why this forum is so brilliant.  I had no idea about the slacker reward ; do they still get paid? If not, why not just quit?

And, what *is* this future cube? Again, never used it or heard of it. I need to play with this!  Brilliant as always @Nutella

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »
No you don't get paid with slacker reward.  You can't quit, if you quit you will lose the speed writing buff.  You don't want to spend 4 hours to write a single book.  You want 2 hours per book.  That is the whole reason of joining writer career and not working or quitting.

They are other ways to get sad emotion.  I find the future cube the fastest way, was only for one book the sad book.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »
I didn't know the writer career gave such a boost to writing speed! Gah!

I gave my Sim Loves Outdoors, Loner, and Lazy. The Lazy trait allowed her to "lazy nap" in her chair and she got the happy bonus from comfy furniture. I used that a lot before I got Never Weary. I also used the sad clown painting for the sad moodlet. I used Prose n' Pop to quickly level writing skill. Also, I had my Sim practice writing for the first few levels so that I wouldn't hit a point where she couldn't move on to a new genre because she didn't have the skill. I also had her write all of the emotional books early on, again so she would build her skill enough to move from genre to genre without gaps for the higher levels. I didn't stick to one genre, but she wrote primarily screenplays and mysteries. I did not send any books off until she could sell to publisher.

My Sim ate only once per day and generally read her book for the next day shortly after midnight so I wouldn't forget. I started off with two of the cheapest computers. When one broke, I would call the repairman and move to the second to continue writing. Eventually, I bought the unbreakable computer, mainly for convenience.

Great job, Nutella and thekatie!

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »
I just remember one more thing.

When I reached level 7 writing, I use social to level writing to 9.  Enthuse about Iambic Pentameter (with a random townie) while under the prose and pop influence (very inspried too) will quickly get you writing levels.  Then at level 9 I write the level 7/8/9 book and voila I get to level 10.

If I don't use the social to level, I will get stuck with no new genre to write after level 7.  I didn't want to use "practice writing" to level, too slow.