Author Topic: Skill of the Week  (Read 46192 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Skill of the Week
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »
Are there any L5 or L10 skills that are banned?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2016, 01:59:38 AM »
I'm trying a dry run through this and am finding out that writing isn't such a good choice now. They keep hitting writer's block and then they can't do anything more! If you can only work on one skill per week, then she would just have to sit and chat or do nothing while she "rests" from her writing. I'm not sure when EA changed this, but I don't like it!

Edit: I'd also like to say that Plasticbox's mod of a notebook to write in instead of a computer doesn't work. There is no saving of the book if they stop for any reason and if they do finish a book, it doesn't go into their inventory. :(  I tried used his notebook to try to save on spending.

Edit Again: I have seen others say something like a "work hard" option for their sim at work. I don't see this on the Secret Agent Career. Could somebody please show me where it is?

Also, for the final score, do I just count their cash reserve or do I count their total net worth?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »
I'm trying a dry run through this and am finding out that writing isn't such a good choice now. They keep hitting writer's block and then they can't do anything more! If you can only work on one skill per week, then she would just have to sit and chat or do nothing while she "rests" from her writing. I'm not sure when EA changed this, but I don't like it!

Yeah, writer's block is something we all have to deal with in this one.

Edit: I'd also like to say that Plasticbox's mod of a notebook to write in instead of a computer doesn't work. There is no saving of the book if they stop for any reason and if they do finish a book, it doesn't go into their inventory. :(  I tried used his notebook to try to save on spending.

Well, good thing this is a dry run for you because you need to familiarize yourself again with the General Tournament rules. No mods are allowed at all.

Also, for the final score, do I just count their cash reserve or do I count their total net worth?

It's not net worth you need, it's just household funds which is the amount you see at the bottom of the screen.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2016, 09:27:18 AM »
Are there any L5 or L10 skills that are banned?

No skills are banned.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2016, 12:35:10 PM »
I have to say then, that starting w/2 sims w/0 skills and just the money they get at start up and a new hood, it's impossible to make very much. I've had sim A working non stop except for sleeping and eating and personal needs and he working in the SA career and I barely have $36k! I've done painting which brought in the most, fishing, woodworking, and now writing and I have to say I don't know how anybody can get to $400k!! They live on an almost empty lot except for the bathroom and a fridge and 2 beds, and now 2 comps. I'm afraid I'm out. Maybe somebody can give me some tips?

Offline tjtemple

• Occult
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
I know the feeling @sonshine! You can see from my score I was in the same situation! I am proud to have finished without mishap but can't wait to see how it should have been done! I'm guessing maxing the career and getting bonuses would have helped but my working sim didn't manage it!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2016, 01:02:47 PM »
After reporting my mishap and recording my official score, I exited without saving and continued to play for my own satisfaction. My unofficial score was over $800,000, so it is possible to make a great deal of money. I'm still kicking myself! ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2016, 01:12:53 PM »
I'm sorry Reggikko, but that is totally impossible starting w/0 skills. I have had her work non stop and I'm barely about $36k!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
I'm sorry Reggikko, but that is totally impossible starting w/0 skills. I have had her work non stop and I'm barely about $36k!

I'm not sure how to take that. Are you saying I'm lying?

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »
Then give me your secret! I'm serious, in the end of the 4th week of their existence, writing is barely bringing in $77 per book if I'm lucky! They have about $39k now. They don't cook and don't own a stove to cook with, empty lot except for the bare necessities and they just aren't bringing in the money! Oh and this is coming to the end of Sat so now she has to stop writing and start still another new skill making pennies!!

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »
I'm just saying that w/starting a brand new skill every week, it is impossible to make that much money! Maybe you started w/a pre-skilled sim.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2016, 01:50:28 PM »
Then give me your secret! I'm serious, in the end of the 4th week of their existence, writing is barely bringing in $77 per book if I'm lucky! They have about $39k now. They don't cook and don't own a stove to cook with, empty lot except for the bare necessities and they just aren't bringing in the money! Oh and this is coming to the end of Sat so now she has to stop writing and start still another new skill making pennies!!

All will be revealed after the end of the challenge. Never ask for tips or question a player's score while an event is live. Leave that to the staff. Trust me - if we do not feel a score is possible - we will investigate.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »
Unfortunately no strategy can be discussed until the challenge is over. But it is completely possible, as you can see by the scores that have already been posted! The more experienced players know all the little tricks that can make that a reality!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2016, 02:00:22 PM »
OK, she just started gardening. What am I allowed to do while the plants grow? From what I understand, nothing to make money.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »

It is entirely 100% possible.  No tips or hints allowed on this thread until the challenge is over, and no strategy talk either. 

OK, she just started gardening. What am I allowed to do while the plants grow? From what I understand, nothing to make money.

No revealing tips or hints on this post (while event is still live).  You have to figure it out yourself.