Author Topic: Skill of the Week  (Read 46193 times)

Offline Makenziegma

• Townie
Re: Skill of the Week
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
I was feeling really good about my scores until the true pros posted. lol

I am really looking forward to reading what I missed. I know because of all my practice my score was much better than it would have been. I also still thank Nutella for answering many questions while I was practicing. I love how challenging this is and that there is so much to learn.

Great job everyone!!!

Offline thekatie0409

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
My strategy was to try to maximize the money from the shrewd reward trait from completing the fabulously wealthy aspiration. To do that, I tried to put what I thought would be the highest earning skills early in the challenge. In order, my skills were photography, fishing, handiness, painting, mixology, and logic. My sim Alexa Diggory was my main skilling sim and her husband Cedric Diggory was the secret agent, and both had the traits loves the outdoors, loner, and genius.
To fill needs, they purchased the best bed and toilet, and also a medium-tier shower. They filled their social and fun through woohoo in a tent. They renewed their wedding vows every few days for the happy moodlet, and once a week they hired a caterer to make the meals for that week so that they wouldn't waste time cooking. 

Week 1: Photography: This skill takes the most real life time (I got the achievement for 24 hours of play on Thursday of the first sim week) but it is also the biggest earner I have found. My strategy for this week was to take as many pictures as possible. While Cedric was at work and filling needs, Alexa was the photographer. When Alexa's needs got low, Cedric was the photographer. Alexa completed the fabulously wealthy aspiration on Tuesday at noon and Cedric finished it on Saturday at 5am. They both got the never weary trait after completion. This allowed them to each get 5 payments from the shrewd trait. In total, they took 39,268 pictures and sold them for $948,800.
Week 1 End Balance: $941,172.

Week 2: Fishing: This week was dedicated entirely to getting aspiration points, with Cedric also levelling his logic and charisma to level 6 for his career. I thought that having the reward traits would earn my sims more money than any of the other skills, as I couldnt find a 6th profitable skill. This way they could spend extra time on skills I know are very profitable, like handiness and painting. On the first day this week, both sims completed the soulmate aspiration and got the hardly hungry trait. They also worked on the athletic, curator, angling ace, and musical genius aspirations. I made fishing the skill of the week because my sims caught so many fish from the angling ace aspiration, but it wasn't much of an earner for them. By the end of week 2 both sims had never weary, hardly hungry, morning sim, night owl, savant, creative visionary, and marketable reward traits.
W2 Shrewd Payments: Alexa: $47,131; Cedric: $49,516

Week 3: Handiness: My strategy for this week was to make and sell camping mascot statues. Both sims reached the level 8 of handiness required to learn the statue on Monday by making horse statues, garden planters, mirrors, and wall hangings.  Once they learned the mascot schematic they focused on making those for the rest of the week. They kept the statues in the yard while making them so that they could complete the mansion baron aspirations, which took about 4 days of mascot making.  When they finished, both sims got the antiseptic and steel bladder rewards, and Alexa got the frugal trait because the bills were starting to get high from the skilling objects. They sold their creations for $749,032.
Week 3 Shrewd Payments: Alexa: $54,758; Cedric: $80,788
Week 3 End Balance: $1,857,517

Week 4: Painting: This week, my sims both worked on large abstract paintings as soon as that type unlocked. Cedric also reached level 8 of the villain career track, and decided he no longer needed to work on levelling his career. At level 8, you only need to work 3 days a week, so this was the ideal stopping place. He no longer needed to do the daily task,so he could devote all free time to earning money with skilling. Between them, Alexa and Cedric created 108 paintings and sold them for $233,842.
Week 4 Shrewd Payments: Alexa: $93,295; Cedric: $105,658
Week 4 End Balance: $2,281,140

Week 5: Mixology: The strategy this week was to make amydelight, which unlocks when the sims are focused. At level 10, this drink sells for $489 and only costs $100 to make, so it's a fairly good earner. Between them, my sims made 358 drinks and sold them for $171,822.
Week 5 Shrewd Payments: Alexa: $114,989; Cedric: $125,210
Week 5 End Balance: $2,654,231

Week 6: Logic: This week the strategy was to make microscope prints.  I already had 6 fossils and 10 crystals from the curator aspiration, and I also planted 40 plants at the beginning of the week to get microscope slides to make the prints. I tried to make as many prints as possible with fossils and crystals, but filled in the rest of the time with plant prints. With this, my sims were able to make 403 prints and sell them for $107,795.
Week 6 Shrewd Payments: Alexa: $134,244; Cedric: $144,820
Week 6 End Balance: $3,054,514

I think that the key was to finish the fabulously wealthy aspiration early to get both the interest payments and to work on reward traits. Both sims finished with never weary, hardly hungry, morning sim, night owl, savant, creative visionary, marketable, steel bladder and antiseptic, and the total $ earned from the interest payments was $950,409 so I think it made a pretty big difference.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:12 PM »
Congratulations on the win @thekatie0409, amazing job you did there.  Yes I knew photography was big money maker but I was too lazy to pick that up.  :P

I took a slightly different approach.  My 6 skills were cooking, baking, mixology, handiness, painting, and video gaming.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
My strategy was basically to get money and reward points as quickly as possible.  (I didn't execute that as well as thekatie0409, so I really appreciate the detailed explanation - I learned a lot from your explanation!)  At first I planned to save lucrative skills until the end, when Sean would have more days off and could participate more, but in testing I realized how much money the investing dollars from the Famously Wealthy aspiration could really be.  So I flipped to making money as quickly as possible along with completing aspirations as fast as possible so as to buy rewards that support making money faster.

I hadn't done anything with photography until I tested for this event.  I was very surprised by how much money could be made with it.  With the game on pause, I queued up an action for Sean - something that supported his career requirements, then queued up 7 "Take Photo" actions for Fiona, and clicked on normal speed.  Because of the way photography works, with the game pausing while the photos are being taken, I could take 35 photographs in about 4-6 game minutes.  Fiona maxed photography at 10 am the first day, and at level 5, while Very Inspired, a batch of 35 photos sells for about $900.  $900 every 4 to 6 minutes adds up fast.  Sean finished his career activities and then also started taking photos, and he maxed photography at about 5 pm the first day. 

Starting Monday Sean focused first on career requirements and second on photography.  Fiona focused completely on photography, and completed the Famously Wealthy Aspiration on Week 1 Day 4 at 1:56 am. Sean completed the aspiration on Week 1 Day 7 at 5 pm.  Then Sean focused on career requirements and building logic while Fiona focused on photography.  At the end of Week 1, household funds were $617,295.

The Week 2 skill was painting, because it makes a lot of money and has an aspiration associated with it for reward points.  On Wednesday morning, Fiona earned $31,914 from investing.  She mastered painting and achieved the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration at 12:30 pm on Thursday and then painted Large Abstracts and mentored Sean to level 10.  Sean mastered painting and achieved the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration on Saturday.  On Saturday, Sean earned $37,950 from investing.  He completed Painter Extraordinaire at 7:38 pm on Saturday. At the end of Week 2, household funds were $819,429. 

During Week 2, Fiona harvested sage and strawberries from nearby plants and planted 30 plants, let them grow to maturity and then put them in the household inventory to save until Week 4 when Logic would be the skill of the week.

The Week 3 skill was handiness, with Sean and Fiona selling items made on the workbench - they both made the highest price items they could at their skill level, with both ultimately producing bathtubs.  Since handiness has no aspiration, Sean and Fiona focused on the Soulmate aspiration first.  Both completed it by Tuesday evening. Fiona earned $41,869 from investing, and Sean earned $47,441 from investing.  At the end of Week 3, household funds were $1,057,962.

The Week 4 skill was logic, with Sean and Fiona selling microscope prints from plant samples. Fiona earned $53,507 from investing, and Sean earned $57,948.  At the end of Week 4, household funds were $1,225,177.

The Week 5 skill was Video Gaming, with Sean and Fiona gaining funds from winning tournaments. Fiona earned $61,229 from investing and Sean earned $65,720.  Sean reached Level 8 and chose the Diamond Agent branch on Week 5, Day 3.  At the end of Week 5, household funds were $1,393,045.

The Week 6 skill of the Week was writing.  Fiona earned $69,944 from investing and Sean earned $74,107 from investing.  At the end of Week 6 (and end of the challenge) household funds were $1,556,947.

I really enjoyed this challenge, except that week 1 was very tedious.  About half of my time spent playing this challenge was spent in Week 1.

I look forward to reading about everyone else's strategies!

Offline thekatie0409

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2016, 04:22:28 PM »
Congratulations on the win @thekatie0409, amazing job you did there.  Yes I knew photography was big money maker but I was too lazy to pick that up.  :P

I took a slightly different approach.  My 6 skills were cooking, baking, mixology, handiness, painting, and video gaming.

Thanks! How does cooking work, can you make food and sell it through your inventory? Or is there another way?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

Thanks! How does cooking work, can you make food and sell it through your inventory? Or is there another way?
Congratulations @thekatie0409    What a fantastic job!

ETA: @GlazeyLady Thank you, too, for sharing your strategies. What detailed micromanaging and yet even someone like me could understand!  Thanks!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
Congratulations @thekatie0409!  And thank you for the detailed explanation of your strategy - my strategy was similar, but not as well executed, and I learned things from your explanation that I didn't know or didn't really consider. 

Great job!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »

Congratulations! I think for cooking, you have to sell stuff from the cupcake machine, but Nutella will probably answer your question. I had no idea photography could be so profitable. Great work!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »
Yes cupcake machine.  For cooking and baking, use the cupcake machine and sell to local bakery. 

I do have a question about photography.  Everytime I take a picture, it goes into my screenshot file.  Is there anyway to not make it automatically goes into screenshot file?  I hate that, have to delete every few seconds because I'm OCD.  That's the whole reason I did not go with photography.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »
I let the photo's build up in the screenshot folder and at the end of a session deleted them all using file explorer.  Haven't found a way to stop them going into screenshots but I remember it didn't use to.  I noticed it with the last but one update (or maybe the one before that), the update that changed emotion photo's as well.

My strategy started out OK.  Photography the 1st week.  Bryanna did enough to get herself connections and then jumped into her career.  Adonis carried on and completed Wealthy aspiration by Wednesday.  Bryanna completed by Friday.  At the end of the first week they had £500,000.  Week 2 was woodworking although I didn't get the camping mascot boost.  I chose handiness so they could repair anything that broke instead of calling out a repair person.  Week 3 was painting and large abstract pictures.  After that it becomes clear that I hadn't done enough research, they used gardening which was ok, writing which got some money and violin which was a disaster.

Still I'm happy to be in the millionaires club and a 5th place is probably going to be my best of the year (and I beat Metro, always a bonus  :P ;D)

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »
Well for some reason I was thinking that I had all day today to finish! :-[ I was at the half mark last night but didn't bother to look at my score! Been playing all afternoon and I just entering week 5 and only have about $42,664 so I have much to learn from other's strategies!

Offline Tboy002

• Nooboo
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Wow! There are some amazing scores! Congratulations @thekatie0409  I didn't have enough time to compete in this challenge, but i learned a lot from all your strategies. I hope I have time to play the next challenges, because I really enjoy doing them.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
Well for some reason I was thinking that I had all day today to finish! :-[

Oh, no :(. I'm so sorry you misunderstood.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2016, 08:13:16 PM »
Congratulations @thekatie0409 great strategy.  ;D
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2016, 09:15:04 PM »
Katie, congratulations! I knew photography would be the biggest money maker but didn't have the patience for it. I see I should have done more lucrative skills first; my career Sim didn't complete the aspiration until week 3. I did Mixology, Baking, Handiness, Programming, Painting, and Fishing, in that order. Part of my reasoning was that I wanted marketable for baking, painting, and handiness. I also wanted handiness before programming so the computers could be quickly upgraded.

My main problem came on the first day of week 4. I was working on getting some points by doing the Soul Mate aspiration. My Sim was very focused, told 3 jokes (for the date requirement), got hysterical and DIED!! I nearly died along with him. :) I guess it helps to know that even if I had finished, my $884,918 wouldn't have even come close to winning. Well done to everyone who broke a million!

anything