Author Topic: New Year's Resolution  (Read 74514 times)

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
Re: New Year's Resolution
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2016, 06:05:56 AM »
I used the "Ask for raise" and it worked so well that  I wished I'd put more effort into maxing charisma earlier.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2016, 06:11:19 AM »
Congratulations Playalot.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2016, 06:14:13 AM »
I didn't think of ask for raise, I just tried to keep up my needs as high as possible and 'work hard' also for leveling up my fitness skill I asked a trainer of the gym to help me and this made it a bit easier. Nevertheless I underestimated how long it took to Max the career. I used the 'connections' reward as well so I could start at lvl 4

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
I used asked for raise, and it almost always works for me.  Although, one time it failed, and it made my sim take 3 days to get the second to last promotion.  The hacking is very unreliable, and I didn't even consider that.  I think in essence the most important thing for this challenge is getting those 1500 points for connections as fast as possible.  That is where I could of improved.  Also, most of us used the athlete branch, but bodybuilder is better because they get off work earlier in the day.  That is something I didn't even think of until I saw some scores ending at 3 pm.  Also, I love all the new restrictions.  Anyway, congratulations Playalot.

Offline Sophronisba

• Nooboo
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
I used the athlete branch because I hate the mentoring for fitness work requirement. I didn't even think about bodybuilder getting off work earlier.

Offline tjtemple

• Occult
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2016, 01:14:51 PM »
Oh dear, I didn't even think about working to get the connections reward; I assumed we needed to get the job on day 1.... oh well, we play and learn :)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »
This challenge was really up my street as every sim I play I complete the Athletic aspiration with. It’s my favorite aspiration and the fitness skill is my fav skill!

General Game Focus:
My main focus was getting enough satisfaction points to buy the Connections Reward as soon as possible and then completing the Body Builder aspiration as fast as possible  to allow me to buy the Entrepreneurial Reward Trait.

I used hacking and the charisma Negotiate a Bonus as the main ways to complete the Athletic Career. I joined the Professional Athlete for the reason of avoiding the time wasting mentoring needed for the other branch.

Out of the four test files I did, one failed miserably as I got the promotion bug, one failed badly as 2/3 hacks failed, one went super well with 3/3 hacks being successful and one had the same result as my actual competition file.

Food. I would grill one plate of food and have my sim eat one then take another serving and cancel this. Then I would drag that serving into his personal inventory. The rest of the servings I would place in the household inventory where food will keep without spoiling forever. When on the home lot, I would drag the food out of the household inventory, let my sim take a serving etc and place the remaining food back into the household inventory to keep it good again.

Socializing: Discussing Fitness Techniques gives a small gain to the sims fitness skill. So when my sim chatted to anyone he would do one friendly social and one discuss fitness techniques, then repeat that pattern over and over again. Or use a joke instead of friendly social if his fun levels were getting low. I only let him talk when he social need started to get 2/3 decayed as didn’t want to slow his skill gain down if it could be helped.

Ok. So details: Please note that my sim didn’t keep traditional ‘days’ as he was only allowed to sleep when he was utterly exhausted. I’ll try to explain what I did in days but often his day started at 11.am and finished at around 3.00am the next morning

Week 1: Sun
As soon as my game started I hit pause and traveled immediately to the gym in Oasis Springs. This was the only gym I used. I don’t know about the other gyms but this gym gives a +1 happy moodlet from good decoration.
Spent the entire day working out non-stop. He generally has the Very Energized mood as he made Good Friends with 3 different Gym Trainers while being mentored, drank the energy drink, reminisced on a happy memory (from screenshot) and took Brisk Showers when he strained a muscle.
To get over a strained muscle he took 3-4 brisk showers in a row as this makes the moodlet count down speed up.
I also traveled home hit pause and bought the cheapest punching bag and treadmill to complete owning two pieces of working out equipment, unpaused for the requirement to complete and then hit pause again and sold the two items and traveled straight back to the gym.
When he was hungry he ate the food in his personal inventory which was spoiled now but by canceling the eating just before he emptied the plate but had filled his hunger bar allowed him to not be hungry and to not get a negative moodlet from spoiled food.
When he auto stopped working out due to being filthy I directed him back onto the weights machine as sims are able to complete half to one full work out while filthy if the energized moodlets are strong enough.
He only lifted weights as I wanted him to max his body potential asap.
Because he was Very Energized his energy decayed at a much slower rate so he was still working out (just) as 9.48am Monday morning.

Week 1 Monday:
9.48am Monday he maxed his body potential and had enough satisfaction points to purchase the Connections Reward and join the Athletic career at level 4. He went across the road to the grill and grilled fruit, ate one plate and put the rest in his personal inventory. Next he traveled home to sleep. On arriving home I placed the plate of grilled fruit in the household inventory and then bought the best bed, second to best bath (the triangle one), a TV, a toilet, an incense holder and an outside rubbish bin.
When he woke up we went back to the gym and worked out, this time on the treadmill so he could lose weight now that he had maxed his muscle mass. He chatted as he worked out as I was focusing on his charisma skill

Week 1 Tuesday:
Focused on his charisma skill as he needed L4 for the next promotion. He just managed to get a tiny amount away from L4 when it was time to get ready for work.
To get ready for work he took a bath with soaks (muscle relax) and lit a cinnamon incense. This makes the energized moodlet last 12 hours enough for him to work hard the entire work shift and to combat the stressed moodlet.
Bought the cheapest desk and chair and second cheapest PC
As soon as he arrives home he completes the daily task then sleeps even if he is hungry as eating twice a day is a waste of time.

Week 1: Wednesday
Pretty much the same as Tuesday. Focused on charisma and treadmill and getting all needs filled completely before going to work.
Promoted to L5 Minor Leaguer.

Week 1: Thursday
Was his day off. Spent the day at the gym much like Sunday. Completed the Body Builder Aspiration at 3.39am Friday morning.

Week 1: Friday.
3.39am Completed BB aspiration. Swapped aspirations around and went home to sleep.
When he woke up he started working on the Soul Mate Aspiration with his best friend who he’d made while talking on the treadmill. Went to work.
Later that night, 11.11pm got married to his best friend and brought the Great Kisser Reward trait.

Week 1: Saturday
Much the same as Friday, lots of kissing and dating. Then got ready for work
Promoted to L6 Rookie

Week 2: Sunday
Completed 2 Gold dates and 33 romantic gestures and had enough satisfaction points to buy the Entrepreneurial Reward trait. At L8 charisma at this point.

Week 2: Monday
Completed Soul Mate and maxed charisma so started practicing programming. Bought a bar and made Amygdelight +2 focused, bath/incense combo +2 focused, Renewed wedding vows +3 happy, Nicely decorated +1 happy, Feeling Good +1 Happy, Smooth Sipping +1 = 11 focused moodlet stack.
He got to L4 programming before time for work. Good thing about the bath/incense combo is it over-writes the last moodlet so a quick soak etc and he was all very energized for working hard.

Week 2: Tuesday
Got Promoted to L7 Starter. Successfully Negotiated a Bonus, completed daily tasks and got to L5 programming. Bought Morning Sim and Night Owl Reward Traits.

Week 2: Wednesday
Got a work txt opportunity that gave him a small work gain. it was the one where he had to choose between interview or warm up. I chose interview. In my test files both answered had resulted in a small work loss so I was really pleased this time it was positive.

Week 2: Thursday
Day off. Programmed all day Got to L6

Week 2: Friday
Promoted to L8 All Star
Successfully Negotiated a Bonus
Hacked work.... and failed. Bummer. This brought me back to just a little bit higher then where he’d been before I had Negotiated a Bonus. So not a complete loss, but not great. Basically the Negotiate a Bonus had allowed him to stay ahead, but only just.

Week 2: Saturday
Much the same again, programming and preparing for work. Would invite his spouse over to renew vows and have deep conversations etc to pile up the happy moodlets that  would boost the energized ones from the bath/incense and energy drinking etc
At this point I bought the Steel Bladder reward and my sim got the Most Interesting Sim in the World achievement which cracked me up as his life was one long boring grind!!
(Lazy, glutton, gloomy, morning sim, night owl, companion, entrepreneurial, great kisser, connections, long lived, steel bladder and high metabolism... in no particular order.)

Week 3 Sunday:
Finally a successful work hack. Programmed all day etc got ready for work.
Promoted to L9 MVP

Week 3: Monday
Day off. Spent programming. Negotiated a Bonus, successful and put performance just a tiny bit under the half way mark. I actually took my sim out to the nightclub for some fun as there was nothing else I could do at this point. It was all hinging on another successful work hack that would become available again the next morning.

Week 3 Tuesday:
Hacked work and I was literally holding my breath. It was successful.
Spent the day making sure his needs would be all filled 100% ready for work. Renewed wedding vows, napped, researched athletic tips, viewed energized work reward,  reminisced happy memory, bath/incense combo, ate fruit (picked from wild plant just outside lot) and headed off to work.
I had the speed on normal but my real life phone rang just as he got home so I missed stopping the clock right on the dot of 9pm!
9.02 pm Final promotion to L10 and one very good looking sim! Yum!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2016, 06:52:53 PM »
Pretty impressive that you got one promotion to the next level in just one work day.  I guess hacking + negotiate bonus working at the same time?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
No I negotiated the bonus the day before. Hacked performance the next day before his work. This added up and he was above half way before even starting to work that last day.

*edited @Nuttella how did you end the challenge at 3.00pm?

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »
Very nice job Playalot, I'm impressed.  I never even wanted to tried hacking performance, have horrible luck with it. 

I ended the challenge at 3pm because I chose the bodybuilder branch - mentoring wasn't too hard. 

Tip for players: I meet several peeps in the gym plus whoever that walk past my house, then I throw a dinner party ($100) and invited everyone I know to come.  Some won't show up, but most of them will.  On my lot I keep treadmill, workout machine, and punching bag.  I use the suggest workout option and have party guest working out so I can mentor.  Inviting people over is hard, some of them won't show up or won't workout.  Using the throw party you get a bunch of people that you can ask to workout, eventually one of them will.  Going to the gym to mentor waste too much time, and sometimes the mentor option won't show up when you are at gym, not sure if it's a bug or it is intended.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
Yes the hacking is pure RNG it really is luck of the draw and it was pure luck that last hack was successful as if not I would have joined the others at Wed 9.00pm.

It never occurred to me to throw a party to get sims to mentor. Great tip!

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »
My sim died 3 days into the challenge in my trial but lasted a week before dying in my attempt for the scoring thing. Each time it was in fire from cooking food. Some times cooking succeeded without starting a fire and killing my sim, other times, it didn't. I've never been able to save one of my sims in Sims 4 from fire, unlike in Sims 3.

How do people get around that happening? Should I not be trying to get them cooked food to eat, or get them to eat uncooked food or something? Or let them gain some cooking skill first?

Additionally I find the speed at which they go from green to red in terms of their motives to be too quick and impossible for me to deal with. Any advice on dealing with that?

I didn't post a score because I felt embarrassed to see so many posting scores and completing the challenge while I had to post a DNF due to death by fire after 1 week.

Offline Sophronisba

• Nooboo
« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2016, 08:40:27 PM »
I usually make garden salads until cooking gets up to level 2. Once they get to level 2 or 3 they are much less likely to set the kitchen on fire.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
Are you super inspired before you cook?  If you are having trouble, try buying a sprinkler and put it on the wall, if fire starts sprinkler will auto turn on to save your sim.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2016, 09:02:22 PM »
@Playalot Thank you very much for the detailed blow-by-blow.
Your strategy takes so much concentration on your part.  What do you do, may I ask, to sustain your own focus while gaming?
Incense? Coffee? Joking.

Seriously, that's some awesome gameplay!

On a side note, how fun that so many participated.

anything