Author Topic: Buying a New Computer for the Sims 4  (Read 5197 times)

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
Buying a New Computer for the Sims 4
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
Hi Folks!

New member here but from what I've seen/heard there's more support and less flaming here as on some of the other forums and just wanted to take advantage of the experience here.

I've always loved and played every Sims since the first, but my computers are always underpowered so I never get a great experience. I'm currently playing on a Macbook Pro which gives me an amazing experience on great settings with little-no lag. I also work from home and use my Macbook with a second screen. I'm looking to add a Windows machine to the house which will replace my work computer, but I figured I might as well make it gaming compatible too.

I'm in the UK with a budget of around £800 and really wanted a computer that will give me the Sims 4 (with every pack and add on I have so far) an all rounded->great gaming experience graphics wise. I'm not overly fussed on the actual make/HDD or anything like that, it's mostly the graphics card that throws me. Within the budget I've found 6th gen i7's with no graphics card, 4th Gen i5's with graphics card and I can't get my head around it all.

Ideally and initially I was looking for an all in one (as I need to connect a second screen for work so the desk is already cluttered) but I'd settle for a good tower & monitor package if it'll get me better value for my money! ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

EDIT:
This afternoon I have come up with this one: https://www.medion.com/gb/shop/multimedia-pcs-medion-akoya-p5334-h-pc-310020292.html but not so sure on it?? I would ideally need 2 HDMI outputs but I can always get adapters to get around that!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Buying a New Computer for the Sims 4
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »
Hi Mattytude,

You found a desktop that will definitely work well for Sims 4!! :)  It also have a great graphics card too!!

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:34:35 PM »
Thank you soooo much for your reply  :D do you have any idea what kind of performance it would give in terms of the settings I could run? Thank you!!!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:04:23 PM »
Oh my goodness!! Sorry about that. I meant to add that you can run the game at high/ultra high settings if you'd like. It's that awesome of a video card!! :)

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Please don't apologise that's super good news!! I hope it will perform as well with other upcoming games like Roller Coaster Tycoon. Thank you so much for being a diamond in the rough :)

EDIT: There is an i5 version of the same machine with the same graphics card with £100 difference. Should I risk the price cut for the lower processing power or go for the higher? (I'm trying to factor a new monitor into the budget too!!! :))  : https://www.medion.com/gb/shop/multimedia-pcs-medion-akoya-p5372-h-entry-level-gaming-pc-310020616.html?category=introductory_offers&wt_mc=gb.intern.projekt.kb-pc.on-ma&wt_cw=30.2.8&utm_source=shop&utm_medium=pcberater&utm_term=%7Bcharge%7D&utm_campaign=

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:17:11 PM »
The i5 processor should work well in this instance. You won't be missing out on much speed wise. Plus at a lower price point, you should be able to get a pretty good monitor too.

Thanks for asking!! :)

MrsFlynn

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 10:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply!! So you don't reckon there would be a massive compromise with regards to a graphical performance from the Sims? (Sorry for so many questions, I want to make the right choice with this! Have written to the manufacturer to see if they'll throw a monitor in!!  8) 8) )

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
No, no compromise. They both have the GTX960 that should do high/ultra high settings if you so choose.

MrsFlynn

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »
Thank you so much once again for the reply.

I've one last curve ball which I've been looking at from Dell, which is these two options. Do either of these compare? (Aesthetically they are nicer, and the monitor is included, woop woop!)

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-2350-aio/pd?oc=cd23512

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-24-7459-aio/pd?ref=PD_OC (£899 one)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 10:34:26 PM »
I wouldn't recommend either of the Dell systems. As they don't have the video card that will allow for high settings. We don't recommend all-in-one systems due to they most of the time don't have the processing power or graphics need to run the game on med or even high settings.

We're aiming to have an over-all good/great gaming experience instead of headaches. *Snicker*

MrsFlynn

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »
I wouldn't recommend either of the Dell systems. As they don't have the video card that will allow for high settings. We don't recommend all-in-one systems due to they most of the time don't have the processing power or graphics need to run the game on med or even high settings.

We're aiming to have an over-all good/great gaming experience instead of headaches. *Snicker*

MrsFlynn

Ah you're so right. The all-in-one is so pretty. I didn't know if the NVIDIA 940M would be a massive compromise. I definitely want performance over and above the aesthetics, and obviously the best value for money. If the Medion guys will throw in a monitor I guess we're onto a winner and I can post my results here! :)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »
Yeah, from what I've been able to find the NVIDIA 940M is a medium-grade card that would give medium settings at best.

Yes, please do post your results. I'd love to know how the computer works for you and if you get the monitor as well.

MrsFlynn

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
After all the taboo I'd forgotten I'd asked a company for a quote based on my needs. This is what they came up with and subsequently what I ordered today. Takes 2 weeks for custom build though but I think value for money it's came out trumps. I'm not familiar with the processor but seems to clock in at quite a high speed!: http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=227086

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
From what I've been able to find it's an older processor, but it still has a GTX960 for a graphics card. So you should still be able to get high/ultra high settings. :)

MrsFlynn

Offline mattytude

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »
Ahh I certainly hope so!!! It's going to be a big transition from Mac that's for sure. Never had an issue with Apple ever!!

Thank you so much for your help!!

anything