Author Topic: Preparation for installation  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Junan

• Townie
Preparation for installation
« on: November 28, 2015, 11:04:07 PM »
Having read the expansion's features, I'm hoping there's ways to reduce the sudden micro-managing skills I'll need with all the changes and whatnot before I install it. Main thing about the seasons is child management; what keeps them cool and/or warm enough to survive without a visit from a social worker?

Also, I read that Aliens are possible through a telescope and gem possession; how would I keep an alchemist with this system around without attracting one (martial artists are going to be problematic as well)? Since half of alchemy's ingredients are gems, I find this risky considering I don't want a constant string of them running about (maybe one to play with, but no more). Is there other methods I may be missing that reduce chances of it happening?

Aside from all the questions, depending on the info that comes along, I may enjoy giving it a go. :)

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
Re: Preparation for installation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:13:35 PM »
Junan, basically you get warnings along the lines of 'such and such is starting to feel cold/hot, you might like to get them indoors, on the hot/cold days. Basically get them indoors on cold days, and while they are out, ensure they have their winter outfit on.

I think it is space rock possession, not gem possession that attract the aliens. From my experience, aliens didn't really prove that much of a problem for me, i think I only had a male pregnancy once from alien abduction, although there were many more abductions of males and females from among my family.

I found the freezing of lakes and of outdoor plants during winter and some spring and autumn days to be much more annoying than the aliens, so much so that I no longer play with the seasons expansion pack.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Squark

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Preparation for installation
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:01:12 PM »
The big concern with kids is school days and sick days, but that's only if you're shooting for honor roll. Alien Abductions are a nuisance, but not really a big deal. You can deal with extreme conditions easily enough by going in the house or a park bathroom to cool off or warm up (Or buy a pair of 10k lifetime rewards which bypass the whole process)

You can deal with plants found dormant easily enough just by using MoveObjectsOn to build a greenhouse. Ponds freezing over is a bit trickier- You need to stock a saltwater fishing spot, which probably means doing some prep work before winter hits.

So,  it's certainly manageable. It might feel too much like work. Personally, I like the variety enough to leave seasons on, although I haven't reached the 2-week winter period quite yet*

*I play with an 8-week year.

anything