Author Topic: Fence frustrations  (Read 12150 times)

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
Fence frustrations
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »
In Sims 3, if I dragged my fence out 2 paces, then stopped, then started again, and dragged out another 2 paces, I would have posts in between. In Sims 4 they disappear. Is there a way to stop them doing this? Basically I want my fence to be:

|--|--|--|

instead of

|--------|

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
Re: Fence frustrations
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
If there is a way to stop it I haven't found it yet. This has been one of the things that's bugged me in Sims 4. The fences just don't look right without post placed every few blocks.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:23:57 AM »
So instead, you drag it out ONE space, stop, start again for one space, rinse and repeat.  You get your posts in the middle.  Otherwise you can drag the fence the entire length of the yard before you see a post.  Some of the fences  have the posts built in in such a way you can get those middle posts no matter how far you drag them out.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Steellace

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
I agree with Grimsoul ... I haven't found a way to do this in Sims 4 either.  I've tried dragging from the existing piece and toward the existing piece with the same no-post results.  I've also tried making segments of fence where the posts showed at each end, and then moving the "wall" pieces next to each other; it removes the posts and makes it one piece.  I even tried building invisible rooms that were one or two squares wide and then making the walls on one side fence; that one removed the posts altogether (none at the end either).  If someone figures out that this is possible and how to do it, I hope they share!

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:35:17 PM »
Well, I simply couldn't believe EA would have made such a huge mistake.  sigh  So I went in and tried every single fence.  Here's what I found.  The ones on the right have middle posts.  As a matter of fact, you can't NOT have them.  Any other fence is messed up with no center posts no matter what you do.  Obviously I had not tried putting up fences in my builds.

So how do we let EA know we don't like this?

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
@_Annika_ Was playing around some and came up with a work around for this. Not a perfect solution but maybe better than nothing. :)

First start off with the fence you want to use

Now place another fence where you want your post to be. The best for this is the Fence for Window Shopping from Get to Work

Then place some plants to hide the other fence. You will have to use MOO to place the plants one the block where the other fence is.

Now you have a fence with fence post. Hope this helps some.

Dellena

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »
Good work around, Grimsoul.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »
More frustrations.  I was putting a fence all around the perimeter of the largest lot in Willow but the fence kept having gaps in it.  No matter what I did the gaps were there.  If I went in one space, (in one of the gaps), I could make a jog in the fence and enclose everything.  In another gap I had to go in five spaces.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I did find a work around.  I added a gate in the gaps.  Once I removed the gate the fence was fixed.

In this particular build I have moo, show hidden objects and ignoregameplay on so that may be the problem.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
I think I remember reading somewhere that a guru finally admitted that there were errors on that lot... something to do with it not being totally flat. I know that at times you can't place tiles etc on that lot without them glitching out.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »
Ahhh I've had that problem! Not with the fence, but with floor tiles. I kept getting gaps in the pavers I was trying to place. That explains it then. I was totally baffled, but didn't get around to looking into it.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 09:41:06 PM »
Thanks, Play that probably explains it then.  And no "flatten lot" thing like we had in TS3.  Sigh.  I had the same problem you did Annika.

On a brighter note, I am building a colossus.  lol.  Ok, not really like the actual colossus but this build is getting very huge and complicated, four up/2 down and there is no limit to the stuff I'm going to pack into it.  Now if I only knew how to put a real pond in there, not a pool that looks like one.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »
I know my work around isn't a good solution for some things like if you wont to add post to a fence is on a porch.
Like this one

So for this you would still use the Fence for Window Shopping to get post where you want them at.
As shown with the white line here

But sense the fence comes in several color you may be able to find one the come close to matching your porch color making the extra fence harder to see.

Like here the Fence for Window Shopping is there and is a close match to the floor color so you don't really notice it.

Keep doing this until you get the number of post you want.

Hope this helps some. :)

anything