Author Topic: Macsafe port has a burned circle around it??? *Resolved*  (Read 1941 times)

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
Macsafe port has a burned circle around it??? *Resolved*
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
My macs charger randomly started getting very hot, I looked on the mac forum and they said it was normal? My mac then said it was fully charged when it wasn't, I then noticed the burnt mark around on of the circles in the macsafe port. I have had it in my computer when I was playing sims 3, but then it randomly gets hot when I'm just watching youtube? I'm not sure what to do in this situation, I would've called apple, but they would  be likely to charge $30 dollars for technical support.  :(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Macsafe port has a burned circle around it???
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »
Hi Mpart,

I did find a troubleshooting tips page on the adapter:

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

And also passed the question onto Hubby and this is what he says:

Okay, first off, unplug it and leave it unplugged. Burn marks mean there's a short in the system. Continued shorting could cause permanent damage to the system and could cause a fire. Not something you want to mess with.

Regardless of whether the system is under warranty or not, you may need to have it looked at to determine whether the charger or the connector is causing the short and either have it repaired or replaced.

It's normal for a laptop brick to get warm. It's not normal for a connection point to burn the port.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
         Just wanted to get some info back to you guys. Apparently it's a rare case, a lot of Apple employees were shocked that happened and only heard rumors. I was transferred quickly to a senior tech who was confused just as much, though was talking about if Apple was going to have to replace my mac.(motherboard still works it just want charger) After a few days of them consulting the engineers, I got the answer"some debris got into it." Though, I cleaned the port out a few days before the issue and the charger was new. After testing it out I found the needles on the charger are pushed up with springs and one spring is missing possible causing the buildup of heat because of the missing piece.(How it worked for a week, I will never know) I'm hoping the burn is just cosmetic or another call with Apple,(hopefully no fights, I adore their products). If worse comes to worse I will sell my Mac and get a Pc, though that's the drastic measure. I'm hoping the free charger they're sending my way works and I will tell you guys hopefully more about that if it works. :)

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »
Thanks for all your help Mrs.Flynn! After going up to the Apple store it seemed that the burn is only cosmetic and did not affect the laptop. Though I would have to get a new charger. After not receiving the new charger for 2 weeks I contacted Apple. I've received my free charger,(unless there is a hidden fee and I will be calling to complain), and I'm very happy with it. My issue has been successfully resolved.  ;D