Author Topic: Fishing and food questions  (Read 10986 times)

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
Fishing and food questions
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:41:29 AM »
1)  Do food ingredients (plants, fish) "spoil" if you don't keep them in the fridge, i.e. go from perfect to a lower quality over time?

2)  If I use the "stock pond" option in my residential pond, does that mean I can fish for that type of fish indefinitely, or is it just like putting the fish in a fish bowl, i.e. if I put in 10, I can eventually get 10 of the same fish out of the pond, but it will be depleted afterwards?

3)  What's the highest priced death fish that can be caught and how do I get it?

Thanks!

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
Re: Fishing and food questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:58:45 AM »
Hi Sims96fan,

Q1. I can only answer the first question from experience but I've never seen food ingredients in the fridge spoil in any way, even with the latest patch.  Leftover meals will eventually spoil in about 2/3 days but that goes straight from its original quality (nice, very nice etc.) to bad and then foul.

Q2. I think I've read that once a pond is stocked with a certain type of fish then it is always available from the pond (I suspect they breed  :D)

Q3. There are some hints on this in the fishing guide but that's all I know.

I'm sure one of the more experienced sim fishers will be able to help you out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:12:02 AM »
Thanks!  For Q1, I meant do ingredients (plants or fish) spoil or decrease in quality over time if I don't keep them in the fridge and have them in my Sims' inventories instead?

Do fish stocked in your own pond stay the same quality as what you put in, or is it possible to get perfect fish from the pond later even if you only used average fish to stock it?

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:22:12 AM »
Sorry, misread q1.  I'm not sure what happens in the personal inventories because I usually move ingredients out quite quickly.  I've heard a rumour that they don't change but this was before patch 1.6/1.7/WA so things could have changed.

I can't really help you on the fishing questions as it's not something I've done much with yet.  I know that the quality of the catch is related to your Sims fishing skill so I assume that catches will get better as your sim does, whether it's from a residential pond or a town one.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »
sims96fan -

Items in your inventory can eventually go bad, but it literally takes generations for that to happen.  I have a 12th generation legacy family and had some things finally go bad that had been handed down after a couple of deaths.  For just normal play, I'd say it's safe to leave them in your inventory.  They maintain their original level of quality, too.

For stocking ponds, I have found that the more you add to the pond, the better the fishing will be.  This makes me think that the fish do not breed.  I've been able to get a pond pretty well stocked, but haven't fished much out of it to know for sure. 

As for the quality of the fish coming from the ponds, I believe it's related to the level of your fisherman.  Upper levels catch better quality fish, no matter where they are.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »
Thanks, that's very helpful.  Is there a faster way to sell off/grab all of the non-perfect food out of an expanded item stack than clicking and dragging on each one individually?  I'm trying to clear out my fridge but I have literally thousands of items in there. =(

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
I sure wish there was an easier way to get the lower quality items out without having to do so one at a time.  Makes me nuts.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:05:43 PM »
I'm not aware of a faster way to clear out individual pieces.  I wish there was a shift-click option that would capture several at once, but no luck on that.  I try to keep mine weeded out often so they don't pile up so much.  I know that's not much help.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:22:24 PM »
My Sim has fished every night for deathfish for over a week now, and she is still only getting perfect deathfish that are at most $1,200 each.  How long does it take to get the $5000 deathfish?  She used the Omni plants to reproduce perfect angelfish so she doesn't have to keep fishing for those.  She has completed the amateur ichthyologist challenge so supposedly catches bigger fish than the normal Sim.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:23:56 PM »
My Sim has fished every night for deathfish for over a week now, and she is still only getting perfect deathfish that are at most $1,200 each.  How long does it take to get the $5000 deathfish?  She used the Omni plants to reproduce perfect angelfish so she doesn't have to keep fishing for those.  She has completed the amateur ichthyologist challenge so supposedly catches bigger fish than the normal Sim.

Where did you hear about a $5,000 Death Fish?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
A few people have posted about it, one in the "favorite offbeat ways to make money" topic and one in the "Omni" topic.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »
I'm really surprised about the Omni plant.  I, too, thought it would exactly duplicate the quality of fruits and vegetables.  But I ran a first test and my perfect grapes came out as outstanding, and my outstanding life fruit came out as great.  That just doesn't seem right.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:47 AM »
Is there a faster way to sell off/grab all of the non-perfect food out of an expanded item stack than clicking and dragging on each one individually?  I'm trying to clear out my fridge but I have literally thousands of items in there. =(

I use the grocery store for this kind of housekeeping. Take everything from the fridge and put it in one Sims inventory, if you have the patch or WA you can use the Take All button. Then send that Sim to the store. Under the Sell tab the vegetables will be grouped according to quality, you can see it by hovering over them.

Now you can just sell off all the stacks that aren't perfect and remember you can type in the number you want to sell in the box to the right so you don't have to keep clicking till your finger goes numb. It takes a little time going through the whole list but it's still easier than dragging individual items. Plus you get paid more this way. :)

Unfortunately this doesn't work quite so well for fish because they have different prices according to their weight as well as quality so they will be listed one at a time. If you have a lot of fish you might want to leave them at home so they don't clutter up the list.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 01:03:47 AM »
Oh, wow, that's great!  :D