Author Topic: The Castellan Dynasty: Graveyard Please - failed  (Read 6638 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Great episode! I remember the Doctor had trouble with mannequins -- maybe it's Time Lords in general they react to.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
Re: The Castellan Dynasty: Gold Dates and White Weddings
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
The longer the Castellan spent on the planet she'd taken refuge on, the more she was convinced she wasn't the only Time Lord around.  The other one was this Watcher that the locals all claimed existed.

"Well, the Watcher does exist," Cason pointed out as they walked through the local museum. "Though if you want a real expert on Watchers, you really should talk to Bella Goth."

The Castellan shook her head.  "I did ask a few things but I think the poor woman has had enough tampering in her time-stream."  If the Castellan ever found the Watcher, she had several very sharp things to say about the other Time Lord's treatment of the inhabitants.  Bella's timeline was so convoluted that the interference was obvious.

The Castellan's screwdriver gave a soft bleep as they started walking in the gardens.  She pulled it out and looked at it with a frown.  Increasing artron energy readings.  Something was tampering with time.  Or someone.

"Do, do.. would you mind if we sat down for a bit to talk?"  Cason asked, pointing out a few benches nearby.  The castellan gave her screwdriver a few adjustments and then agreed.

"The energy reading seem to be consistent no matter where we are, so sitting is fine," she tucked her long skirt neatly to sit and then Cason's phone gave a small chime.  "Getting a call from a friend?"

"Ah, no."  Cason blushed a little.  "You're pretty much my only friend.  You look very nice today, Castellan."

The phone gave another small beep and she arched an eyebrow at him.  "That's the third time you've complemented my appearance today, you know."  Cason's blush only increased.

"Yes, well... ah... see, it's... it's... a date?"

She had a feeling she was definitely missing something.  Yes, Cason had invited her over to the museum and she was interested in seeing if it had any new information on the Watcher, but she had a feeling this was a different sort of social context.  "Show me."  She said, pointing to his phone.

There was a small list on the device's screen, the topmost line was to Socialize with Date, and it was marked as complete.  the next two lines were directions to flirt and to flirt while flirty.  The Castellan looked over at Cason and decided he was more embarrassed right now than flirty.

"What else did it tell you to do?"

"Ah, well, sit and talk?"  Cason gestured around to the bench.  "And be playful together."

"Which was why you asked me to tell some of my jokes?"

"Yes,"  Cason admitted and he looked over at her.  "Are... you angry?"

"Not at you."  She handed the phone back to him.  "I suppose the little silver icon at the top indicates something?"

"How well the date went, yes.  And silver's  really good!  I can end it now if you want."  The Castellan nodded and Cason fiddled with his phone for a moment and it gave him a happy chime.  "Oh, I got a rose put in my inventory!"

The inventory.  The little bit of pocket space so many people here had, further proof of a Time Lord's meddling.  The burst of artron energy that surrounded Cason at that moment was substantial.   Very substantial.

"Cason... would you mind if I initiated a Date with you?"  This needed testing.

Very very thorough testing and Cason was a very good sport about all of it. 

The Castellan's modified phone happily beeped a Gold level completion at her.  The Time Lord hastily channeled the artron energy that surrounded her and stored it.  She could *use* this energy for the TARDIS.

The Castellan looked over at Cason.

"We need to test this more."

He quickly agreed.

The second date a few days later however, did not give the same quality of energy.  It was as if after taking in the reward the first time had acclimatized her physiology to the burst.

"Does this mean no more dates?"  Cason asked.  The Castellan tapped her lip thoughtfully and then looked over to him.  "No, I think this means I need to try another event."  She pulled out her phone and perused the list.  "Birthday...  several types of parties... a weenie roast?"

"Very flammable, those."  Cason put in.

"Well, I don't want to set anything on fire right now, no.  How about the Wedding then?"

"Err.  Well, you'd have to marry someone then, right?"  Cason asked.

The Castellan sighed.  "Yes, yes I would have to marry someone Cason."  Subspace twitched around her hand and there was a ring resting in it.

If that Watcher was indeed watching *her* then the Castellan was going to have *words* with that Time Lord.

And the holographic heart floating above it was laying it on a *little* thick!

But Cason said yes.

"A wedding?"  Terri said the next day.  "Well, you're going to need things.  A bar, tables... who's going to make the cake?"

"Cason is, he's in the kitchen now.  He wanted a quick stop at the mirror though."

"Yes, well with that hair, I don't blame the boy for wanting a Watched upgrade.  Wait, are you planning the Wedding *now*?"

The Castellan looked up from her phone, "Well, I'm putting in the order, yes?"

"Oh Carl!  This isn't like the old days when you could plan ahead, the Wedding's happening now!"

There  was a brief stutter in Time.  The Castellan could feel it into her bones and she pushed at the sensation.  It was flicker fast, but this time she saw it.  Space folding around itself, putting all the things necessary for the wedding into place in the blink of an eye.

Terri and Cason never even noticed, as far as they were concerned the brief stoppage of time never happened.  The Castellan looked over the list of demands on her phone and then tucked it away.

Whatever game the Watcher was playing, the Castellan still had her own issues to deal with, and confronting another Time Lord without a fully operational TARDIS wasn't something she wanted to do.

So she pushed the problem of the Watcher aside and set out to have a memorable day.

We hobbits are plain, quiet creatures. Adventures make one late for dinner.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 11:50:59 PM »
I'm loving how you fold all the doctor-ish ideas into playing a dynasty. It's a great read. Only one complaint... I have to keep waiting for the next instalment.  ;) Cason's quick mirror check seems to have worked wonders!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »
Sigh.  I just (sniff, wipes away a tear), love weddings.  Such a gorgeous bride and groom.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
Re: The Castellan Dynasty: Grave Blooms and the Second
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »
The Castellan was becoming accustomed to the shifts in time around her.  Some days it seemed that everything was rushed, while others she could feel the moment stall.  The most recent tampering had been while she was practicing a local instrument that was similar to a fiddle she'd indulged in as a child.  Cason had been working at the easel he'd asked for and requested her to hold still for a moment.

Time had jerked to a halt so fast it was a wonder no one tripped over it.  Her fingers  tightened on the bow of her violin but before she could muster the will to move, progress reasserted itself and Cason had turned back to the painting.  The desire to play left her and she decided to work on the routines she planned on using over the next few nights at work.

"Hm, well, I think I'm about halfway done with this, Cason said after an hour.  He stepped back from the canvas to study it.  "Do you think it's coming along okay?"

The Castellan put the microphone back to view his progress and her breath caught.  The technigue, using oils and canvas was primitive, but the results... even only half done...  "It's a Moment in Time," she said softly.  Somehow, in that split moment time had halted around them, Cason had managed to capture it on the canvas.  It was a type of art that the Time Lords had perfected, and to see a facsimile of it again...

"Do you like it?"  Cason asked, a little worriedly when her silence stretched on.  "You don't like it do you?  I can scrap it..."

"Don't."  The Castellan said, reaching for him.  "Don't you dare.  It's wonderful."  She kissed him fervently.

"Oh take it upstairs you two,"  Terri said good naturedly from where she was tending the small garden.  The Castellan laughed and Cason blushed, but the pair went inside, fingers entwined and already kissing again before the door shut behind them.  "Newlyweds."

Terri laid out a cutting from one of the trees from Sylvan and picked up the odd little knife the castellan had given her.  "It's sonic,"  she'd told Terri.  "When you graft in the cuttings, use this to make the incisions in the bark and then after it's in, give the handle a twist to make it seal back up again."

The Castellan liked her funny toys, Terri mused, but it was a very handy little knife.  The grafting went smoothly and she twisted the handle and heard the low sub-sonic pitch of the knife change and when she pressed it to the tree, the whole plant shivered.

And then it *glowed*.

"Well, I'll be..."  Terri grinned.   She reached out and gave the tree a pat and she could see the new graft merging into the tree completely and new blossoms were forming.  "The Gardening Club will be jealous for weeks."

The Castellan was thrilled as well the next day when she came down for breakfast.  "It's a perfect match, Terri."  She told the gardener as she passed her screwdriver over the leaves.  "Once the orchid plant is ready, we can splice it with the fruit of the dead and the result will be a grave bloom."

"Fruit of the dead?" Terri asked, arching a brow at the Castellan.

"Oh... uh... I think the local term is pomegranate?  But the fruit is heavily connected to the mythos of Hades and the turning of the seasons."

"Ah, well, we don't have seasons anymore."  Terri pointed out logically.

"Right."  the Castellan conceded the point and then placed her hand over her stomach and winced a bit.  She was feeling a little off today, perhaps she needed to increase her intake of purely Gallifreyan foods.  She harvested the small berry bush that Terri had cultivated for her.  A few of these should help settle her for the day's work.

When the unease failed to dissipate after a few days of eating solely from the plants salvaged from Sylvan, the Castellan reconfigured her screwdriver to a medical setting and passed it over herself.

The readings were very specific.

"Oh."  She let out a shaky breath.  This was while not an unplanned for event, she had thought to wait longer before conceiving.  There was still a considerable amount of work to be done before she could pass over to her regeneration the bulk of her essence as a Time Lord.  Briefly she considered letting this life stay as a half-breed and wait for a second pregnancy... no.  She had managed to store up a considerable amount of artron energy already.  The timing may not be ideal, but it was possible.

She waited only until the evening to head into her TARDIS.  She worked for hours, setting up the growing shard from the TARDIS's core and then laid her hands upon it, opening herself up to the Time Vortex, slowly, gently, irrevocably changing the burgeoning life inside her.  By the time she was done, she was starving, exhausted and soaked in sweat.  But it was done, and a small shard of violet split off from the crystal.  This would be her regeneration's link to both the Castellan and the TARDIS, enabling the young Time Lord to slowly absorb her "mother's" collected knowledge while developing a personality of her own like a true regeneration would have.

And when the time came, her regeneration would do the same, on and on, until enough of them were present to tip the scales and finish healing the TARDIS.

The months went by quickly.  Cason was thrilled by the idea of becoming a father and even if genetically he no longer was, the Castellan felt that father was as good a term as anything, after all, his assistance had been vital.  Terri was excited at a new splicing of plants, the pomegranates had borne fruit and the new green shoots of what might prove to be a successful grave bloom splice was poking up from the dirt.

"So you'll mix this in with the angel fish in a recipe?"

The Castellan nodded.  "With a few other ingredients, yes.  Once I've passed over my regeneration energy, I'll need the infusion on a regular basis to stay alive."  She smiled a little sadly.  "Technically, this is an illegal substance by my people, it was developed by Time Lords that had run out of regenerations and were cheating death.  But it's not like there's a government for me to answer to anymore."

"Indeed, I imagine you could charge a lot for eternal youth."

"Oh, well, it doesn't do that.  It's not even eternal life.  Just.. a brief reset, and unless you can manipulate artron energy *and* don't have any regenerations left, it's just a very funny tasting dish."

"Perfectly useless then?"  Terri asked.

"Well, yes."

Terri laughed.  "Well, it's still been an interesting challenge, I'd say.  And a nice legacy for me, the grower of the grave bloom!"

The Castellan reached over and hugged the woman.  "If I haven't said thank you today, then thank you.  If I have, well, thank you again, Terri."

The older woman patted the Castellan on the back, "Oh, go on with you, you're making me all teary and you should be off your feet anyways with the little one getting bigger every day."

The day the grave bloom flowered was a busy day.  The Castellan came home from work early, clutching at the small of her back and grumbling about how the baby was kicking fiercely and it was hard to keep the jokes rolling when her spleen was under assault.  J had rolled his eyes at her and pointed to the door.

"We can cover you with the band for the rest of the night,"  he said.  "The way you're grimacing you're probably close to due.  Take your family leave and come back after the baby's born."

The Castellan was loath to leave, but J had a point.  She paced around the kitchen and snacked on a few more berries.  Cason kept offering pillows and foot rubs, normally two things she appreciated but...

"Oh.  ew."  The Castellan paused and looked down at the floor.  "Right, Cason, I think it's time for me to head to the medical center.  And uh, we might need to mop that up first."

"Mop up?"  Cason peered around the corner and went a spectacular shade of squeamish green.  "Ew is right that's water.. your water.. .the birth water... the *baby*!  We need the bag!"  Cason promptly began to panic.  Terri came out of her room as Cason thundered up the stairs.

"You all right?"

"Yes," grunted the Castellan.  "I just need to go to the medical center, the equipment there is better than trying to have it at home."  Cason came crashing back down the stairs with a zipped bag over one shoulder.

"Well off you go then, dear.  I'll stay home and have the basinet ready for you."

The Castellan tried not to regret that the TARDIS was still unable to take her to a nice 51st century hospital complex.  That time had been a pillar of medical technology and a childbirth was simple and safe there, no matter your species.  Still, as clunky and overcomplicated the medical machines were here, the birth went surprisingly well and in no time at all the birth was over and the machine was lasering her incisions closed.

"Congratulations, you have a beautiful, healthy daughter," the doctor working the machine said.  “Do you have a name picked out?”
“Yes,” the Castellan replied, picking the little girl up and giving Cason a smile from where he was standing.  “Ensillhyakorboraapar.  The Second.”

“That’s uh... quite a name.”

“Yes,” said the First.  “She has a lot to live up to.”

Back at the house, Terri sat back on her heels and looked as the grave bloom slowly opened its petals.

“Well, isn’t that just the thing,” the woman said softly.  “Got to see it just in time too.”  She looked down at her phone and at the second notice from the Reaper.   She put the phone away and smiled.  Just in time indeed.

Maybe one more evening of cloud watching was in order.  Things were going to be busy once the baby came home.

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »
Loving this story.  Terri is such a sweetie, I will hate to see her go.

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »
Loving this story.  Terri is such a sweetie, I will hate to see her go.

She's such a short part of the overall story, coming in right off the bat as an elder, but wow, she did such good work knocking out the deathflower, fishing up a nice stack of angel fish and then having enough reward points to buy three potions of youth.  She *rocked* getting the requirements set up, all Cason had to do was learn to cook!  He even had enough spare time to paint portraits for everyone.  Which meant the Castellan could solely concentrate on skilling and her career without worrying about the details.

Terri is definitely going down in the books as Number One Companion.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
Re: The Castellan Dynasty: Death vs. The Castellan
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »
The first few days of the new baby being installed in the house were very busy ones.  Terri spent most of them looking after the baby, and she eventually convinced the First Castellan that while yes, she was sure that her name was quite distinguished, it was an overlarge mouthful for anyone to say and the nickname of Ensil was finally agreed upon for the little girl.

"She'll be picking up all your memories soon enough, right?  She should have something that's just hers."  Terri said as she gave the babies toes a tickle.

The First wiggled her fingers a little, "It's... complicated.  She *was* me.  But I'm still here.  It's why she'll be wearing a shard of the same piece of the TARDIS's core.  She'll absorb my memories slowly as she grows and then once I pass over my regeneration energy, then she'll fully be my Second self.  But she'll have a mind of her own, we're never the same person twice."

All too soon though, the maternity leave that had been granted the First was over and J called to let her know that she needed to decide if she was going to specialize as a violinist or continue being a comedian.  "I recommend comedy," he advised her.  "There's a lot of starving musicians around looking for work but your Time Lord persona really has people in stitches."

"I *am* a Time Lord, J."  The First grumbled. 

"That's my girl, never drop that act."

"You know, I can get a new best friend with Cason.  And go on dates."

"Ouch.  Well, I'm not worried.  You'll be besties with me again."

"So confident Mr. Huntington."

"It's my charm."

The promotions at work combined with Cason's continued foray into painting was enough to put a small pool in the back of the house, which the three adults enjoyed.  The First liked taking a swim before her comedy gigs in the evening and she'd just gotten changed into her working clothes when Terri gave a small gasp in the front room.

And then there was an equally small thud.  The First Castellan ran down the stairs and stopped, striken at the sight of Terrri crumpled on the floor, her life energy leaking away at terrifying speed.

"Terri!  Terri, hang on!  I'll get to the TARDIS and try and stop this!"

Terri made a noise, but whatever words the old woman tried to say were lost.  The First headed for the door in a rush and stopped cold at the figure gliding up the walkway to the house.

Cowled and cloaked people were nothing new to the First Castellan, some Time Lords thought a proper cowl the height of fashion, but the large scythe over the beings shoulder wasn't something toted along for a friendly visit.

She wanted to step between the creature and Terri as it glided up to her stricken friend but for some reason her feet were planted firmly and all she could do was weep.

It was horrifying.  She could do nothing at all as the low guttural voice read off of a tablet a brief accounting and identification of her friend and companion.  Time stuttered to a halt several times and slowly, slowly the terror and grief was pushed down for a new emotion.

Rage.

The creature had leapt into the air, scythe swinging through Terri's body in an insubstantial arc, leaving no mark but rending the soul from flesh and it hung there.

Poised.

As if someone else was watching.

The Watcher.

The Castellan's lips peeled back in a snarl and she slammed her will as a Time Lord against the artificial stasis.  Once.  Twice.  And then she *moved*.

"I will not be toyed with.  I will not be manipulated and dragged about.  I am not your doll, your plaything, your passing amusement.  I AM A TIME LORD."  She stepped forward towards the creature and she could feel its regard shift to her and a rise of fear begin to exude from it.

Good.  She was one step away from it, her hand rising to wrench the scythe away when time regained it's forward flow and the creature scuttled back away from her.

"I'M JUST HERE ON A JOB," it said, quickly hiding it's scythe from the First Castellan.  "IT'S YOU KNOW, CIRCLE OF LIFE AND ALL?  AGEING IS ON?"  It tried to slink towards the door.  The First grabbed a handful of cowl and dragged it further into the house.

"Oh no.  Before you go, you're going to give me some answers."

The answers were not as thorough as the First Castellan would have liked.  The creature, a species called Reaper, was apparently not an actual cause of death, but merely a finalizer of it.

"I PREFER LIFE-STATE ADJUSTER.  REAPER IS SO MEDIEVAL."  It said with a huff in its nonexistent throat.  "AND I DON'T WORK FOR THE WATCHER EITHER, THE WATCHER RARELY LIKES HAVING ONE OF ME SHOW UP, UNLESS THEY'RE ONE OF THOSE SADISTIC TYPES WHO STEALS POOL LADDERS AND PUTS FIRE PLACES IN EVERY ROOM."

So.  It seemed she wasn't much closer to finding out the truth behind this Watcher business, but before she let the Reaper go, she made it list off all the possible ways it could be summoned to end the life of one of her companions.  She would guard against any of *those* occurrences, though regretfully, it seemed that Terri had simply died of advanced age.

Something that she was going to have to guard against for many generations, though through Terri's work, the seeds of that security were already sown.

"One day Watcher.  You and I will have a reckoning."

There was no answer.  Not that the First Castellan expected one.  Quietly, she tucked Terri's urn down deep into the TARDIS's storage and strode out to do her job. 

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
R.I.P., Terri.  I'm really enjoying reading this story.  You are an excellent writer.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
The poor Castellan -- no one realizes that she's a Time Lord.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »
This is an interesting story. While there is an actual Time Lord challenge, this is a new spin on the Immortal Dynasty and you use the Dr. Who background to explain what the Ambrosia is for. Keep it up.  ;D
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:24 PM »
The mannequins moving! That was quite scary, I'm loving Cason's character. The TARDIS you've built is briliant and welcome Second.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline MissTrips

• Townie
  • Fnord.
Re: The Castellan Dynasty: Graveyard Please - failed
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 10:51:43 PM »
sadly I have to mark this as failed.  I had a set of triplets born that meant the next heir wouldn't be able to have a child, because she'd already be an elder by the time the household had room again.  The perils of an all female dynasty!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Castellan Dynasty: Graveyard Please - failed
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 11:41:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that you failed. Hope you have another go very soon. You had a great story going on here.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

anything