Author Topic: Gallery Guide - Requesting Feedback  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Gallery Guide - Requesting Feedback
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:41:21 AM »
Hi guys, I just put out a beginner's guide to using the Sims 4 Gallery. I am not a heavy user of it, but have done a bit here and there to get a nice house for my Sim and love the randomize from gallery option we have when making a new Sim.

I'm looking for feedback on this one, because I'm sure it could use improvement. I may have failed to clearly state how to do something, or left out something that you might consider a pitfall. Please share any suggestions or feedback, really appreciate it :)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: Gallery Guide - Requesting Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »
Looks very comprehensive. Maybe you could add something about what happens if you download a sim or house that contains objects (cc or expansion) that you don't own. We who are seasoned simmers know this but newcomers might not.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:40:46 PM »
From someone who just doesn't use the gallery (probably due to all the time spent on my dynasty lol) the guide was great! I learnt quite a bit from reading it through. In fact it made me quite keen to start using it more.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:52:42 PM »
I agree that your Gallery Guide is really great, Carl!

I wonder if readers would find useful a trick that I learned here on this forum.
Someone asked how to duplicate a sim without its career, skills, and traits.  (Were you the one who asked, Playalot?)
Someone else suggested (and I forgot who) to go into CAS, create a twin of the desired sim, then save the household to gallery.
The sim would have identical looks but would be totally "unplayed."
When starting a new game, we could download that household save and delete all the other sims except the unplayed duplicate.

I wish I could remember the title of that thread, but I can't.
And many apologies for the clunky explanation.  *winces

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 07:45:29 AM »
Looks good and I especially like the suggestion by @saltpastillen regarding CC.  Especially as there are a lot of items you can see if you click the Include Custom Content option but don't fear that you'll actually be downloading any CC if you use those items.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
I agree that your Gallery Guide is really great, Carl!

I wonder if readers would find useful a trick that I learned here on this forum.
Someone asked how to duplicate a sim without its career, skills, and traits.  (Were you the one who asked, Playalot?)
Someone else suggested (and I forgot who) to go into CAS, create a twin of the desired sim, then save the household to gallery.
The sim would have identical looks but would be totally "unplayed."
When starting a new game, we could download that household save and delete all the other sims except the unplayed duplicate.

I wish I could remember the title of that thread, but I can't.
And many apologies for the clunky explanation.  *winces
I was the one who asked that.  I think Playalot may have been the one who figured out the trick, not sure.  I have since used this trick on some on my Sims from the baby boomer challenge, as well as a townie that I found in a game.  I've really been enjoying being able to use that.  However, to me it doesn't seem to be that related to the gallery.  I'm thinking it would go better in the tips article.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:56:58 AM »
Yeah, I figured out how to basically make a twin of your original sim...that ends up with no skills.  :) Just because I love playing with my favorite sim so much but sometimes I want him with no skills so I can start a brand new game. lol Probably better in tips as it's really just an ordinary CAS feature... I guess.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I can certainly add on to the tips page, there's a lot of undocumented tricks and I appreciate the chance to get to share them with others. I'll look into gallery CC and add as much as I can to this one, still need to grow the plants and record data on those from Get to Work for the gardening guide!  :-[  I'm definitely editing tomorrow so will incorporate what I can :)

I still have some ideas for articles, and we have a building section coming up as well :D My own well is definitely running dry, although I may figure out some ways to make smaller articles on specific information so that people don't have to go through the big pages to find what they need.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Gallery Guide - Requesting Feedback
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
One small note, Carl. I spent a very long time trying to find pages on the hidden areas. I ended up going to google to type it in and it brought it (your page) right up. Maybe add them to the menu somehow? Or...was I just not looking in the right place. My old eyes seem to miss a lot these days :P

Edit: I think I put this in the wrong place. Sorry about that. I didn't even register Gallery until after I posted.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
It's fine to go off topic in threads like this, Jude. Those are found under gameplay, very hard to categorize without making a button for them. I'm sure i'll come up with something more intuitive in the future :)

I should probably integrate Google, as well, because it's not very handy if you have to leave the site to go back in :P Have to do so in a way that doesn't clash with the design!

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 09:43:55 AM »
Thanks, Carl! Didn't you used to have a page (can't remember what it's called) that had a categorized list of all the pages on your website?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 10:09:15 AM »
Yeah, I did that with Sims 3 but got behind on updating it.. It might not be a bad idea to look into doing it again and just not get behind. I'm not in college any more, so that's easier to avoid :)