Author Topic: Sims 4 refuses to run - video card problem possibly?  (Read 21112 times)

Offline ZoeLou

• Llama Wrangler
Sims 4 refuses to run - video card problem possibly?
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
When I opened the game today it came up with the error "Video card cannot be run with this game", so I updated my video card drivers.
Now the game won't run at all. When I try, the game opens in a small window in the top corner that I can't expand or move, and it says the game is not responding.

Any ideas?

Offline Aadi

• Nooboo
Re: Sims 4 refuses to run - video card problem possibly?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
The same thing is happening to me. It was working fine this morning and then Origin updated and I'm getting the same thing (small box in the corner, not responding).  :(

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ZoeLou

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 10:00:56 PM »
Well, it sucks that it happened to you too, but it does make me feel a little bit better. Something to do with origin then, not us

Offline Aadi

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:25:35 PM »
Yeah, it seems so . Even a re-install didn't help. Guess we'll need to wait for another update :P

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
Hi ZoeLou and Aadi,

This seems like a common problem, specially with those that have dual graphics in their computer. Let's start with trying to troubleshoot the graphics problem.

Some tips on fixing the problem:

Can’t run with the Video Card in this System
http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/cant-run-with-the-video-card-in-this-system/

Tips to change over to using the other graphics:

Graphics Card/Intel Chip Dual Systems
http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/graphics-cardintel-chip-dual-systems/

Once you've tried these tips, try playing the game. If you still have problems starting the game, please report back and we'll dig into why the game won't start.

Hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline ZoeLou

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
Okay, so here's the problem, though I'm not sure why it's a problem since it was working fine yesterday. I used to have two monitors, one plugged into my graphics card via HDMI and one into my motherboard via VGA. I got rid of the HDMI monitor, and so now I only have the monitor plugged into my motherboard. When I try the steps in the help above, clicking on desktop to get NVIDIA control panel, it says the settings are not available because I am not currently using a display attached to a NVIDIA GPU. I can't attach the monitor to the GPU because I don't have the correct cables (monitor doesn't have HDMI port and GPU doesn't have VGA). Still not sure why this is an issue.... Help?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »
Hi ZoeLou,

What it sounds like happened is when you took away the HDMI monitor, you took access away from the Nvidia video card. Which left the computer with the onboard graphics chip that isn't supported by Sims 4.

What you may want to try is finding a HDMI to VGA converter to connect your Nvidia GPU to your VGA monitor.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
After Origin updated, my Sims 4 stopped responding too.  But it didn't say anything about the graphics card.
Cynthia

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »
I couldn't get Sims 4 to run after updating Origin either, and no problem with the video card. What worked was to click on Origin in the upper left, then click on Application Settings. Go to Origin in Game and uncheck the box for Origin in Game.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks MarianT, it worked. :D
Cynthia

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
Thanks MarianT, you're a lifesaver!

Offline ap.bookworm.89

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
This didn't work for me. Any other ideas? Nothing has changed on my computer or with the game other than an update.

Offline H.An.T

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »
I have both disabled in game origin and forced my game to run on nvidia only. nothing works. :( this is the first time i saw this after updating. the saddest thing is that i just bought get together >:(

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »
Hmm this happened to me in Sims 4 today. First problem I've had on this Toshiba with either Sims 4 or sims 3. Sims 3 loaded no problem. Sims 4 gave me the video card is out of date error. So I went into my Windows 10 settings and searched video cards. I went to the graphics adapter thing and ran check for updated drivers. It said I was had the most up to date driver for the card. So I tried to re-run Sims 4, and didn't get the error message.

Between the first and the second attempts at loading Sims 4, the only thing I did differently, was to go back to Origin and load Sims 3. So maybe it didn't like me Alt Tabbing away from Sims 4? I also recently downloaded the latest origin patch update so whether that had something to do with it as well, I'm not sure.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »
I don't have my new computer yet, but an wondering if I will have problems with the games I have already bought. 

I am making the assumption that when I get the computer set up and install the game I will have to download patches from the beginning to present.  Also, any patches that Origin has. 

How will this affect my games?  I have been reading this thread about people having problems with their computers and want to be ready to deal with any that come up.