Author Topic: Collection Obsession: Gotta Catch 'Em All  (Read 47016 times)

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
Re: Collection Obsession: Gotta Catch 'Em All
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »
I don't feel like much that I did was hard to figure out, or different from what other people did.  I split up the responsibilities for some of the various collections between my Sims at the start: gardening and fishing would be worked on by different Sims, with the gardening one also doing postcards and the fishing one also maxing handiness and being the primary one responsible for the logic and rocket science related ones.  The gardener could also work on these when she had time, with fishing being very low priority for her.  This way they both had things to work on while at home, and things to work on while they were away.  This also allowed one of them to work on the nerd brain and angling ace aspirations, while the other worked on freelance botanist.  Maxing handiness was required for entrance to the forgotten grotto.  If anyone is confused about where to find any of the plants or fish, I'll be happy to share where I found them. Both Sims had the traits geek, loves outdoors, and bro.   

Upgrades to the telescope and microscope helped gather collectibles on those much faster.  The last thing to be completed at home was getting the necessary things from the rocket science missions, and my Sims ended up building a second rocket ship.  I discovered that if I recognized a rocket science mission and knew that it wouldn't result in getting anything I wanted, I could save time by canceling the mission.  As with other challenges I've done recently, my Sims also saved time by satisfying all of their needs with moodlet solvers.

Except for a couple of days, they spent the first 2.5 weeks not on vacation, working on all of the collections that they could before spending the rest of the time camping.  I made sure to have them return from their trips shortly before 5 AM on Mondays, since that's when the bills would arrive if you save and exit the game.  If they were camping when the bills arrived, they would be extremely expensive.Finding the normal kind of fireleaf required removing wild plants on all of the poisonous fireleaf plants, since initially none of them spawned.  After a couple days or so spent in the area, these plants grew back, with at least one of them growing into the normal fireleaf variety. I noticed that a good way to have them earn some whim points while camping was to satisfy some social whims after traveling to a new place together.  Camping allowed me to get nearly unlimited digsites, since every time I loaded the game all of the digsites in the area
respawned.  I had my Sims each sitting at a digsite, and just mined them over and over, while looking for the last of the insects I needed, and waiting for the fireleaf to grow back.  I did notice that crystals, fossils, and metals had digsites that looked different from each other, and tried to use treasure maps for on digsites for collections I had finished. 

The collections that I ended up being unable to complete were mySims and insects.  I'm convinced that in my game, the last of these could not be found using the normal methods.  The insects that I couldn't find were the blue morpho, bee, and walking stick.  I do know where and when to find all of these, but even after spending weeks looking for them, they never showed up.  It was always a different kind of insect in their place, which I would collect hoping it would spawn them, but it never did.  I was able to find many, many copies of all of the MySims (15+ each), with the exception of the rares.  No matter how many of the other MySims I found and how many treasure maps I used, I could never find a single rare.  I feel like the ability to find the last of these collectibles in the normal manner was broken in my game by a recent patch.  I know that LenaLJ managed to find at least some of these though, and I can't wait to find out how she did it.  Did anyone else find any of the collectibles I mentioned in this last paragraph in your scoring file for this challenge?  If so, did you have a special trick?  Around what real life dates did you find them?

Congratulations LenaLJ on completing your 13 collections, and winning.  I look forward to finding out your strategy, but especially what technique you used to find any of the collectibles mentioned above (bee, blue morpho, walking stick, rare mySims trophies).  Which collection was it that you didn't end up completing?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Congratulations to Lena, too! Clay Mask, I had the same problem with the My Sims trophies. No matter how many treasure maps I used, I never got the rares. I didn't get the bee, blue morpho, or walking stick either; in fact, I've never seen the last two in any of my visits to Granite Falls in any games.

My mailbox bugged about the middle of my game. I don't know if it was the patch, as it did work for a while.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
My mailbox bugged about the middle of my game. I don't know if it was the patch, as it did work for a while.
Unfortunately, there is currently a mailbox glitch where you don't receive your mail if you leave the lot after sending off for it.  Sorry you never got your mail.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2015, 08:12:08 AM »
The patch somehow broke mySims trophies, I am unable to get the 4 rare mysims no matter how many treasure boxes I open.

Offline Tixxis

• Occult
  • daydreamer
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2015, 09:22:33 AM »
From the start, extensive testing showed that all rare MySims Figurines as well as three insects (bee, walking stick and blue morpho) were missing. It put me off, because pre-patch, a single Sim could easily hoard everything in about five weeks flat.
Here, I had two Sims but no chance of doing so.
I played other games for a while, but subsequent patching showed no difference in the situation.
There was nothing for it, but to play my official file.

Both Sims had the same traits: collector, geek, good, loves the outdoors.
Knowing that it would never take 6 Sim weeks to make the best of this challenge, I had my couple complete Soulmate and Bestselling Author in week one. In that time, they received a complete Postcard Collection in the mail. To save on time and trips around the neighbourhood, one of them went round to collect items every two days. Most dig sites would spawn two to three items instead of just one in that time.

In week two, they had completed the Space Prints, Microscope Prints, Space Rocks, Aliens and Frog Collection as well as the Elements Collection. They also had 16/20 MySim Trophies and did sell all treasure maps and time capsules from then on.

They now could travel unpunished as mail delivery did not matter any more. I travelled with the female Sim and left the male Sim to his own devices. He had a bed, a fridge and computers to keep him happy. She would fish while waiting for certain plants to grow and dig sites to spawn. Every night she would come home at about 2.30 am and stay until 3.45 am. This allowed the dig sites in the home area to spawn. She would then travel to whatever area she had been visiting and wait until 5.00 am to collect the metals, fossils and crystals. This meant most of the sites had spawned twice the amount of collectibles. Basically, she could go double collecting in the home area every two days and every day in a different visited area.

By the end of week three, they had completed the Metals Collection and the basic Gardening Collection.

During week four, she completed the Fish, Crystals and Fossils Collection. This happened in Granite Falls where she also added to the Gardening Collection and found the 18 from 21 insects available.

I expected people to tie for this challenge. But I was shocked to find Lena managed to complete 13 collections. It means I must have overlooked something. I spent the night and this morning playing a new file. But apart from a serious problem with trash plants, the situation is unchanged.

Congratulations on your win, Lena. I hope you will enlighten us soon! :)

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
Hi all, still at work so longer explanation coming later.
The one collection I did not complete was the insects, im 100% sure the collection tab was showing that I got all MySimsTrophies, but now you all say you cannot get them I will check when I get home and post a screenie, just to be sure.

But which patch are you all thinking about broke this? Just curious.

Offline Tixxis

• Occult
  • daydreamer
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »
But which patch are you all thinking about broke this? Just curious.

The 26th of March patch? I started testing for this challenge just after the previous one concluded. And I try to get the rare MySims Trophies out of the way as soon as possible, because I can then sell the treasure maps for 80 simoleons apiece sooner.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline krzyman21

• Nooboo
  • Life is Brutal --The Sims are fun
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »
Most of my strategy was mentioned above

I spent a large amount of time planning and checking in the practices

I also could not find the rare mysims

was enjoyable and learned a lot

congrats to the winners

K

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
I just loaded my old save so I could see where I was in the challenge prior to the April 13th patch, but after the March 26th patch.  I had already found all 16 of the other MySims, and almost all of the crystals and fossils.  So it does seem like the rare MySims were missing for me also after the March 26th patch.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »
I just loaded my old save so I could see where I was in the challenge prior to the April 13th patch, but after the March 26th patch.  I had already found all 16 of the other MySims, and almost all of the crystals and fossils.  So it does seem like the rare MySims were missing for me also after the March 26th patch.

Same here, I can't see any of the rare ones in any files I've started since that patch.
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »
ISo it does seem like the rare MySims were missing for me also after the March 26th patch.

The mysims is definitely broken, unable to get any of the four "rare" ones at all.  I am not sure which patch broke it, but it is definitely broken.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
I'm convinced that in my game, the last of these could not be found using the normal methods.  The insects that I couldn't find were the blue morpho, bee, and walking stick.  I do know where and when to find all of these, but even after spending weeks looking for them, they never showed up. 

I did not finish the insects collection, stopped early didn't want to look for them anymore, I hate collecting insects.  It could be a spawning bug, EA has not fix this yet.

For the plants, I have the spawning bug where the normal "fireleaf" just would not spawn for me -- everything I got is the poisonous variety.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
For the plants, I have the spawning bug where the normal "fireleaf" just would not spawn for me -- everything I got is the poisonous variety.
I had that too.  I was able to clear out all the poisonous ones though using remove wild plants, and this allowed at least one of them to regrow into normal fireleaf.  I'm not sure exactly what the distribution was after they regrew, since the first one I checked was normal fireleaf.  It could be a similar with the insect spawners, but if so collecting the bugs doesn't solve the bug.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
I got hit with the mailbox bug early on which meant if I got mail at all, I didn't get an element for each item I sent which also meant postcards didn't come so that was 2 collections that suffered greatly.  This file was particularly frustrating for me, because it took FOREVER to get certain things. Yet, in a for fun file I had, I had almost 4 collections complete within almost a Sim week with a single Sim.  I also noticed the problem with MySim trophies after the newest patch. 

Congrats to those who did so well!

Offline Tixxis

• Occult
  • daydreamer
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

I did not encounter that problem. There were always both varieties of fireleaf. Sometimes, I could not find both normal and toxic mushrooms in Granite Falls Woods. But the missing variety always showed up in Deepwoods.
I did notice that the denomination of the plants changes with every game. I mean, that within a species, you will find the different types in a different locations. The only plant that's not true for is 'noxious elderberry'. I always find the same two plants in the exact same place.

anything