Author Topic: Can't add roof on third floor!  (Read 36459 times)

Offline no1mfp

• Llama Wrangler
Can't add roof on third floor!
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I evicted the Landgrabbs from their mansion and moved my family in. I did some remodeling and added rooms on the top floor but it wont allow me to add a roof! The existing room on that floor has a flat roof. I've tried to put any and all tiles down as a flat roof but they just go to the floor below. I've tried adding a roof but it says "roof must be built on even base" the base is even, there was a roof before I added the walls! I'm at a loss as to what to do! I'm not new to the Sims, I've owned everyone since the original, I'm disabled and I spend hours playing. I'm totally addicted! I've never had a problem I couldn't figure out until now, it's driving me nuts! Any ideas???

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Can't add roof on third floor!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »
Hi no1mfp and welcome to the forum. I've had that problem from time to time in the different versions of the game. It is most annoying. I 'think' I might be able to help you fix it. Using the select tool from the toolbar, click on one of the walls of the new room. You should get a yellow line around the top of the walls. Click this line and the option to build ceiling should then come up, click on that and it should add the ceiling. This can be a little iffy at times. I just tried it on the same house and it worked the first time, but the second time it wouldn't show the yellow line. The by accident I clicked outside the room and it came up with the yellow line around the rest of the upper level even though there were no walls! I clicked back in the room I was working on and it worked fine.
Not sure if this will help you or not, but worth a try  :D
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline no1mfp

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:59:14 AM »
Twinmum thank you so much! It worked I have a roof! :) Now I can't figure out how to add the trim! Lol!  I just clicked on the existing trim with the eye dropper and tried to add it to the new roof. It's telling me "nothing to change" and "must be used above ground floor" it wont apply the trim! Any ideas on this matter?

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:20:52 AM »
OK, I found how to fix the trim too. It's crazy and I don't know why it does what it does, but anyway.. here it is:

Using the select tool click on the roof of the house in an area that was already there and you should get a room box appear on top. If it fits right, pull out the walls to cover the new piece of roof. Only pull the walls out over the existing roof, don't pull it over empty air, we have to add smaller pieces differently. So next go into the walls and empty rooms menu and select the small square empty room. Now this is where it gets crazy. You can't add this empty room on the new piece of roof, but you can place it on the original piece. So place it on the original piece near where you need to extend it out. Once it is placed, you can pull the wall out over the new piece of ceiling. Keep doing this till the empty room covers all of that top floor - note that once you drag that piece out over the new area, you can then add a new empty room in the area you just created. Once the whole roof area is covered by the empty room, you can use the eyedropper tool to select the trim and apply it.
Hope this all makes sense. If not, just yell and I'll do it again and take screenshots to show you.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Offline no1mfp

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »
I understand exactly what you mean and it works! But then I have a giant over hanging roof because of the shape of the house. Lol! Now I need to decide if I want trim or a giant roof! Thanks so much Twinmum for all your help!!!

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
How is it overhanging? Could you show a screenshot? Maybe we can reduce it somehow.

Offline wuliman

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »
Hey, thanks for the tip about the yellow line allowing to build ceilings and it being a bit wonky at times. I had to divide my second floor up into little rooms, then use the select tool, then delete the non-existent ceiling, then it let me build an actual ceiling. Thanks so much.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.