Author Topic: Who Says Money Isn't Everything?  (Read 69217 times)

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
Re: Really Excited but w/Question about CC/Mods rule
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 08:12:52 AM »
This is all very exciting to me!!  ;D My first ever, of any kind, Sims gameplay contest! So, I want to make certain I understand things before the kickoff on January 1. BTW, LOADS of Great questions being asked. Thank you all because most of them not only would it not have occurred to me to ask, but I didn't even know to consider some of them. So, this question maybe obvious to some but there might be another who is unsure like me. I read ALL the rules and while I mostly get the No CC/mods rule. I want to be 100+% clear: Does this rule mean I need setup a game environment that is totally clean, and how would I do this when I usually use CC/mods? Also, does this include clothing, hair, and other CAS CC that alter the way our sims look without affecting the way they act? Thanks in advance!

Hey @1Saved_Diva  I'm a CC addict, so I think I should be able to help you out. :)

1. Go to My Documents/Electronic Arts on your computer. There you'll see a folder called "The Sims 4" - (If you've ever installed CC ever, you should be quite familiar with this location). Rename this folder to something else like "The Sims 4 - Normal" or "The Sims 4 - CC."

2. Launch the Game! This will create a new game folder entitled "The Sims 4", and it will load with the default settings: sound, graphics/performance, etc., and, if you haven't disabled the tutorial via Origin, you'll be forced to sit through that, too. It's essentially a fresh install of your game that you can use for playing the tournament.

When you want to go back to playing with your 'normal' game, FIRST rename the new folder to something like "The Sims 4 - Tournaments" and THEN rename the old folder back to "The Sims 4". (You can only have ONE "The Sims 4" folder in your My Documents/Electronic Arts folder at any given time, otherwise your computer may try to merge the two folders and corruption and chaos could ensue). Next time you load the game, you'll have your old game back right where you left off, mods, CC and all!

One thing I've noticed is that "My Library" isn't shared between game folders (I have three at the moment; One "Normal", one "Dynasty" and one "Tournaments"), so unless you upload your sims to the gallery, if you make your challenge sim in one game's CAS, it won't show up in the other.

There may be other ways to do this, but this is the method I use and I find it works well. :)
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
Hi Diva - yeah, no mods at all. Period. Including ones that only change appearance. I am not the one to give you advice on how to set up a totally clean game because I never use mods to begin with, so hopefully someone else can. Or maybe ask on the Mods board of the forum.

Hey @Metropolis Man , the General Rules Post says the following (emphasis mine):

3rd Party Custom Content / Modifications
3rd party Custom Content that alters appearance for CAS purposes is acceptable and can be used at the player's own risk. Modifications (mods) are patches that alter some core component of game play and are never allowed. Programs and utilities that allow you to see the game code such as ILSpy are also never allowed. Remember, no mods or code utilities can be used during practice.

CC such as hair and clothes, yea or nay?
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »
Hey @Metropolis Man , the General Rules Post says the following (emphasis mine):

CC such as hair and clothes, yea or nay?

Nay. All mods, no matter if they change gameplay or simply alter appearance, in the Tournament are not allowed. In the Dynasty the Team is a little more relaxed, but in the Tournament it's a hard and fast rule to keep things simple.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
Re: Who Says Money Isn't Everything?
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »
I get that - I'm not talking about the Dynasty Challenge. The quote I posted is from the Tournament Overview Thread, where it says CC that alters appearance for CAS purposes is acceptable and can be used at the players own risk.

It's fine if we can't use CC, I'll get over it, but the rules for the tournament presently say that we can (not exactly a hard and fast rule) and should probably be changed because we were just given contradictory information.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
I get that - I'm not talking about the Dynasty Challenge. The quote I posted is from the Tournament Overview Thread, where it says CC that alters appearance for CAS purposes is acceptable and can be used at the players own risk.

It's fine if we can't use CC, I'll get over it, but the rules for the tournament presently say that we can (not exactly a hard and fast rule) and should probably be changed because we were just given contradictory information.

Okay, my apologies. I sometimes get minor mods and CC confused. If something is a mod, then you just cannot use it. Period. No matter how insignificant. If something is custom content and changes appearances - then I stand by what is presently in the rules - use at your own risk.

Players obviously have to know the differences between CC and mods.

By the way, thank you for helping out Diva with those instructions.

Offline thefaeriesgirl

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »
The team is going to discuss this again. Stay tuned.

Is there a final ruling on this? Not trying to be impatient but the start of the event is only a few days away.  :)

Offline pithenia

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 06:58:35 AM »
I cannot wait to get started this is my first Sims Tournament! I am so excited! ;D
Just keep Simmin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 07:07:59 AM »
Is there a final ruling on this? Not trying to be impatient but the start of the event is only a few days away.  :)

My apologies - gardening is banned. That has not changed. You can pretty much make money via any other means. Some bugs exist with the price of things sold that made us come to this decision.

Offline thefaeriesgirl

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »
My apologies - gardening is banned. That has not changed. You can pretty much make money via any other means. Some bugs exist with the price of things sold that made us come to this decision.

That's absolutely fine, didn't matter either way to me except for set up. Thank you very much for the quick response. Just wanted to set up my file so that I could start it on the first.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »
I have my strategy all mapped out. :) Gonna try and knock this one out in one day tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 01:11:41 AM »
I'm going to start one right now - have a feeling I'm going to fail miserably as I have not planned a strategy at all!! Good luck everyone.  ;D

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
I've got some strategy going on. Starting my file today too! :-D

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 09:04:43 AM »
Good luck everyone.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
Yes, good luck everyone!  I'll be starting my files as soon as I get home from work ^^

Offline WriterJunkie

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
My sim, Josphine, is halfway thru her young adult life... Almost done with this event. Hopefully I can finish today and get started on the careers one since that one will probably take me longer since I can't spend as much time in speed three.