Author Topic: How do you play Sims 4?  (Read 5290 times)

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
How do you play Sims 4?
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
So over the last month, I've discovered that there are way more ways to play Sims 4 than just how I play. 

And in case you don't feel like reading this wall of text, that is entirely my own personal story, how do you like playing Sims 4 when you are just having fun and not doing a challenge of some sort?  Do you micromanage your Sims?  Do you make rooms with so much environment power from day one that you never have to deal with bad emotions?  Do you take the emotions and roll with them as they come?  Do you only pick traits that are beneficial?  How about ones that only provide a benefit some of the time, and a negative at others?  I'd love to hear stories about how your game-play has changed over time as well!

I'm a very "focused" player, so to speak.  I pick an aspiration, I get a career, and then nothing else matters until those 2 are capped.  I mean, my first Sim was a Loner Genius Geek who got into Tech Guru (if you haven't played Tech Guru, the job requirements at high levels require about 3-4 apps/games to complete on a timely schedule each, and each of those takes around 20 hours to make each...  never weary ftw).  After that I go grab a spouse and start my household. I have a single child, and then spend the next few Sim-weeks capping out their schooling and child aspiration with very little free time for them to do other things.  In other words, I never let my Sims out of the house much, and I micromanage so much that they never have a chance to talk with other Sims even within the household unless I let them (usually at dinner and such). 

The way I play left me with the distinct impression that Sims really didn't act like people, that they just did what you told them to and sometimes they tried to fulfill their needs at inopportune times (JUST FINISH THE APP YOU DON'T NEED SLEEP).  I recently discovered otherwise, and at the same time found out what my practical limit on how many Sims I am willing to micromanage every Sim-minute of every Sim-day (turns out I can do 5, but am only willing to do 3 for an extended period).

So I finally decided to try the "big happy family" aspiration.  It was in practice for my dynasty, as I'd like to get my founder that aspiration but with the restriction on moving Sims out, that's an extra 2 Sims in the household who were going to be there for an entire lifetime, and you need 4 grandchildren so there's a time restriction.  So I made a "for fun" Sim, got my aspiration and career maxed, then promptly had 2 children and adopted a third.

After each child got to teen, I was all done.  I'd been micromanaging all 5 sim's, completed 2 child aspirations and 3 skills on my "heir" gotten an A in school on all 3, and completed 1 child aspiration on both others.  During that time my founder had completed 2 more aspirations, and maxed out rocket science and handiness.  My wife, who had been busy with children and helping with homework/ect during all this nonetheless got her painting aspiration done, and was 2 steps from finishing her career. 

I was all done.  I had had enough of cancelling Sims autoque'd items, of running in normal speed or even paused 30% of the time, and I gave up on micromanaging my 2 adults and 2 of my kids.  I still watched them at times and did work on aspirations, but I let them do their own thing in between each work session.  And they did!  My computer nerd founder learned to paint.  He's gotten pretty good at it, even made a couple masterpieces (though no action of mine).  They talk to each other and hang out in the pool.  They do things that are helpful for their aspirations, and also stuff that's useless to anything but their fun need.  And its amazing to watch.

So I finally learned that Sims 4 doesn't have to be a challenge 24/7, as I was treating it.  Sometimes you can just watch, like a giant fish tank.  Only better.  Ever since then I've been much less hardcore about micromanagement.  My sims still get micro'd till they finish their fist aspiration and are pretty far into their career, but I never focus on more than 3 at a time now, and usually I only micro my main Sim after everyone's got their never weary.
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

Offline dinodymo

• Llama Wrangler
Re: How do you play Sims 4?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
I am so OCD when I play. I suppose It's like the perfectionist trait. I have quite a few bad habits! I pause WAY too much, whenever any of my sims needs get to the red zone, I panic. I usually try to only have my sim master 1 skill in particular and I don't like it when my sims try to gain any other skills. Oh and also, even though it's a hassle for me I still want my sims too have lots of friends, otherwise I feel like i'm not playing the game right.
I didn't fall! I simply attacked the floor with my awesome ninja skills!

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another. Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
― Veronica Roth, Divergent

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »
I guess I go hard out micro-managing until career and aspiration are complete apart from on their days off... which are big time socializing/play days.  Probably to make up for the fact that I've been grinding points or skill levels non-stop on that poor sim!  ;) I also swap around between the aspirations all the time, even to ones I know that sim will never complete as it's a quick and easy way to rack up points for rewards just by doing ordinary things your sim would have to do anyway.
Once the household has money each room as so many positive buffs that bad moods are inconsequential so apart from the occasional whim granted to remove then I don't pay them any attention. I also have times where I grant nearly every whim, just because it's fun to do.

At times I just sit back and let the fun happen, especially good during a party or with loads of friends over. If I'm playing a large family I usually let the autonomous actions happen, I've had sims that make it all the way to level 8 painting with quite a few masterpieces along the way and others that master gaming!

I love playing the harder aspirations like Serial Romantic or the mischief ones as managing the different relationships that come from those are hilarious. I always used to play very goody-goody sims but I think TS4 has converted me!

I make use of all the little tricks and tips that you can find here on the forum, using screen shots to make emotions is my all time fav, but there are also some clothing items that are useful too and the Never Weary reward is always high on my priority list for my main sims. The rest of the household well, I usually want a break from them so they don't get it!

I have about 7 or 8 game files going as I prefer to play with aging off but I have some test files and for stories etc where aging is on.
I always play in ordinary time, occasionally I may fast forward sleeping but as I usually have a sim with the Never Weary reward it's only in the very beginning of a game that everyone is sleeping. I have learnt so much about Sims4 by playing in ordinary time and the expressions and things my sims do are hilarious. I love watching what my sims get up to... it's way too entertaining to fast forward through! :D  (Actually the one thing that I do fast forward through is the 'look at my phone, scratch my face, oh yeah, that's right we are travelling somewhere, tap my phone' action... arghh, too slow even for me!)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Stormi71

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
I used to play one household, solely because I was scared my main household would die or move away etc. I started Sims 4 with a main household, then would swap to other households for a short while mostly for story progression etc. Now my main household has two young adult sons, who have moved out, so I have started rotational play between the original household, and the two sons, and one other household who are all friends with my main sims. I find I'm enjoying this better because I don't get as bored easily. I have aging off, and manually age up sims, so my main household all have high skills and reached the top of their careers and have a nice house etc, so it was becoming a bit routine to play.
I also managed my sims quite a lot, especially early in their careers or for school, but found they didn't have a lot of time to just have fun. So my second generation sims are more laid back. One of the wives I didn't even give a career, she spends her days gardening and socializing. There's still a lot of skills I haven't explored in the game, so I'm letting my sims do more of that.
I only have one main game save, whereas before I'd get bored with my sims so create a new game. The only other save I have is one I made for building.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
When I'm doing a challenge, I do micromanage; when I'm working on a story, I tend to play more loosely. I've really been enjoying the "I'm Surrounded by Idiots!" challenge and am on the 5th/6th generation of that. The key to that is that you're only allowed to control one sim (the Torch Holder), and when the heir becomes a young adult, you switch control to him or her. This means that there are 2 to 7 sims that are not controlled at all. I wouldn't have dared try this with TS2 or 3, because I don't think they would have survived. The TS4 sims are smart enough to take care of their needs.

When I finish this challenge, I think I will extend a little more control over all the members of a family, but I mean to back off the micromanagement.

I'm planning to start a game where my family members "take over" one of the towns, and where I play them rotationally. I used to have several households going in TS2, but couldn't do that in TS3.

One thing I've noticed is that childhood is difficult -- if you're trying to get a childhood aspiration and also have the child get an A, but the teen years are pretty easy. If the child did get an A, he or she starts school with a B average, and also starts a part-time job at level 2, so there's only one set of goals (usually reaching level 4 of a skill) to get promoted to the highest level.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »
The "I'm Surrounded By Idiots!" challenge sounds super fun, I would really be interested in that.  Currently I'm playing my Immortal Dynasty and a world where I have all of my favorite characters from a show and I just experiment. Quite a bit of cheating is involved in that one, but it's fun. :D

Offline Greenhat

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
In my game, I keep having twin girls whenever a Sim gets pregnant, so I'm a little busier than I like to be. I don't let Sims do things I didn't tell them to, and I usually have a path in mind for them, but I don't push them extremely hard. For example, I let my Athletic Sim learn to paint because it makes money and is good for occupying time between workouts, plus she can interrupt it to deal with the babies.
I tend to deal with things day by day, hour by hour, paying close attention. I cycle through the household every morning for job checks and every so often for need checks, queue things up, and supervise.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »
Sims 4 went downhill though it was a way to live out my future through babbling characters.

Why do you have a link in your signature  to a site about something that doesn't exist?

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »
Why do you have a link in your signature  to a site about something that doesn't exist?

Pretty sure the site it links to a bait for some unwary people.  I'm not willing to click around the site to find out.  So far all of this persons posts make a certain sort of sense, but in relation to the game, no sense at all.  It's a well-hidden phishing account, you should delete it.
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

anything