Author Topic: Whirligig's Immortal Dynasty - The Harsher Family - Updated Dec 13, 2014  (Read 10029 times)

Offline Franki

• Occult
Re: Whirligig's Immortal Dynasty - The Harsher Family - Updated 25 Nov '14
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 05:54:49 AM »
Love the latest installment and as for the shutting down of the laptop due to it being too hot when your in the middle of a party, I totally get that, had that happen to me a few times (Southern Hemisphere here as well). here's hoping no more hot weather heads your way for a long while so that you can continue without crashing in the middle of the game.
Straud/Masters - Tangled and defying untangling attempts

I Aten't Dead - Granny Weatherwax

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 04:47:07 AM »
Chapter IV - Goodbye Nevaeh

Hey everyone, I’m back with just a quick update on my Immortal Dynasty household. When we left off, I had finally obtained a gold medal for Adam’s birthday party – only one gold medal event left to go and I’ve finished that particular requirement.

In this update, not much happens. I was deadest focussed on Adam advancing in his career and aspirations but I feel like I’ve been going in circles. Nevaeh did manage to catch a couple of angelfish and there are now cherries, apples, lilies and snapdragons in the garden so I’m not too concerned about securing death flowers – I just need a bit more focus to Noah.

I must say, I’m not too hopeful about fulfilling all of the requirements for Ambrosia any time soon – there is still a lot of work for Adam to do. I’m going to do my best, but he’s not doing so well at progressing through his career and a lot of his friends have just died so I’ve got a lot of work to do on the friend front. While not difficult, it is time-consuming. Also, while cooking is at level 9 (yay!), gourmet cooking is only at level 7 and Mixology is badly stalled at level 6 – and I’m a week away from elder. I’m afraid I haven’t been very focussed when I’ve played this house (I’ve been much busier than anticipated this month), and it’s showing in my (lack of) progress.

But before I get too discouraged, first, as promised, a proper picture of Noah, diligently doing his homework. I must admit, his teen years passed me by in a hurry.

Another thing I would have done differently – I wouldn’t have bothered with a career for Neveah, and focussed instead on her aspirations. She retired from her painter career upon becoming an elder, and instead spent many days fishing in Willow Creek. She caught a few Angelfish, but I reckon I’ll have to make a habit of sending Noah back to catch angelfish throughout the challenge.

With Adam doing most of the cooking, Neveah and Noah haven’t got many cooking skills. One day I wasn’t paying attention and the stock of prepared meals ran out – Noah decided to try his hand at cooking and failed rather fantastically.

Thankfully he and Neveah prove to be adept firefighters so the Immortal Dynasty isn’t cut short yet.

This is me trying to be artistic. Essentially, this is how Noah passes his time – doing homework (he MUST maintain that A!), keeping his needs green(ish) and gardening. Whyyyy doesn’t gardening raise fun? It did in TS2!

Despite one or two ‘tense’ moodlets from a lack of promotions, Neveah seems much more content staying around at home. She supervises homework completion and catches fish. Unfortunately, her time is limited.

I think she knows it, too, as she Adam start rolling more and more whims for interacting with each other.

Sad as at makes me, the inevitable eventually happens, and the grim reaper comes around to take what it his.

Neveah and Adam were having a late breakfast together (Noah had already gone to school) when it happened.

One minute she’s there, the next minute she’s gone.

And Adam is about as devastated as can be expected.

(I am too, if we’re being honest. I rather liked Nevaeh).

This makes me sad.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 04:49:17 AM »
I never have problems with my birthday goals. I make sure that my household is as close to middle in the needs or higher. I have them do the compliments. Only on the dates have I ever had to use the romantic compliments to complete any of the other event goals.

On the story. poor boy needs some rest. He is plum tuckered out. Let him sleep watcher... LOL
Nope, that compliment the birthday sim requirement is evil - the only non-romantic compliment that seems to work for it is the "heartfelt compliment" and that one is limited. As in it doesn't seem to turn up in the pie menu more than once every few minutes. I've gotten silver for five or six parties now because of it.

I am a mean watcher sometimes - we're on a tight schedule, can't be mussing it up with sleep now, can we?

So many parties! Glad you got Gold in the end. And I too have had the sitting outside in the heat and having my laptop shut down  ::).. Thank goodness you saved!

Thanks - I'm glad I eventually did, too. I have a fan that seems to help some of the time. Some days, though, it's just too hot for Heidi even with the fans.

Love the latest installment and as for the shutting down of the laptop due to it being too hot when your in the middle of a party, I totally get that, had that happen to me a few times (Southern Hemisphere here as well). here's hoping no more hot weather heads your way for a long while so that you can continue without crashing in the middle of the game.

Haha, well it's bound to be hot as we're only at the beginning of summer. However, there haven't been many huge setbacks since that one night so fingers crossed things continue to go smoothly from here on in.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Whirligig's Immortal Dynasty - The Harsher Family - Updated Dec 3, 2014
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 05:22:38 AM »
R.I.P. Nevaeh. It's always a big moment when the founders partner dies. It makes me sad too.

Note on parties: I had to resort to using the romantic compliments to earn a gold, luckily I had a sim that wasn't family to the birthday sim so I was able to complete the party requirements in time. It's quite a tricky requirement when it pops up depending on your household structure.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
looks like it's going well so far!  I'm actually having minor issues getting the whims done. I have to specifically set some up because the house I built doesn't have any rooms that will "let" my sims be angry/sad/tense/ect. heh.  Haven't lost my founders spouse yet, I'm not looking forward to it.  Truthfully, I haven't had any of my household Sims die yet, I always use potions of youth/books of life to keep them up.  Looking forward to seeing more!
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 04:55:32 AM »
I'm sorry to see Nevaeh go.. she seemed like she was able to bring a lot to the family. I loved her facial expression when she was putting out the fire! I'm wishing you heaps of luck with your first immortal - you never know, it might all come together at the last minute and you'll be able to reach ambrosia stage!

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 02:25:01 AM »
R.I.P. Nevaeh. It's always a big moment when the founders partner dies. It makes me sad too.

Note on parties: I had to resort to using the romantic compliments to earn a gold, luckily I had a sim that wasn't family to the birthday sim so I was able to complete the party requirements in time. It's quite a tricky requirement when it pops up depending on your household structure.
Yeah, I eventually worked out that romantic compliments are pretty much necessary for that requirement. I expect it to get easier as I have more sims in the house (the "heartfelt compliment" triggered by the happy emotion works, too, but only once per sim.)

looks like it's going well so far!  I'm actually having minor issues getting the whims done. I have to specifically set some up because the house I built doesn't have any rooms that will "let" my sims be angry/sad/tense/ect. heh.  Haven't lost my founders spouse yet, I'm not looking forward to it.  Truthfully, I haven't had any of my household Sims die yet, I always use potions of youth/books of life to keep them up.  Looking forward to seeing more!
I've only had one sim die in the sims 4 once other than Nevaeh - it was the first household I played and she managed to electrocute herself, heh. I'd only been playing a week. I just haven't played any of the other households long enough to have someone die. And Neveah was an adult when Adam was a YA, so that didn't help either.

I'm sorry to see Nevaeh go.. she seemed like she was able to bring a lot to the family. I loved her facial expression when she was putting out the fire! I'm wishing you heaps of luck with your first immortal - you never know, it might all come together at the last minute and you'll be able to reach ambrosia stage!
I'm hoping things will come together, but ever since the beginning I've been worried about that friendship requirement and it's starting to look like that's going to be the one to come around and bite me.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 02:37:08 AM »
Chapter V – Put the Pedal to the Metal

So when we left off, Neveah had just died (sad face), and Adam spent two days moping around when he should have/could have otherwise spent that time doing useful things.

Noah’s not so great at doing useful things, either, but he was due to become a young adult and Adam still needed to cook 5 gourmet meals at a single social event (hence the tiered cake). The smallish party was silver, because compliments are difficult, but Adam did manage to prepare 4 gourmet salads and a cake.

After the party, Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis was invited to move in, and I thought what the hell, why not move her parents in, too? They can be easy friends towards the Mixology career requirement if not the immortal one, and can help out around the house.

Oh, and the $300K they brought in was also useful. My building approach is admittedly a bit dodgy – it typically involves finding a house I like, such as Armonioso by a talented builder such as Romagi, and re-creating it/gutting it on the inside so that it better fits my purposes/playing style.

And the first thing Adam does once I have everything set up in the new house is mourn the fact that Neveah never got to see it.

I know dear, I miss her too.

But her spirit lives on, and before too long she emerges from her grave to inspect the new house.

With a new home, including a new kitchen that has been set up to be especially inspiring, I set Adam to work on boosting the mixology and cooking skills.

(I am annoyed that the counters that come with the culinary career don’t have matching cabinets with which to do useful things. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a CC completer set, but haven’t found anything yet).

Noah is still working on the garden. I will have him join the astronaut career very soon, but I am concerned about death flowers (though I have cherries, apples, orchids and a snapdragon in the garden, Noah’s a fair few skill points away from grafting). Also, we only have two angelfish on hand at the moment. It’s enough to get started, but Noah’s going to need to work on catching more of those, too.

His attention is a bit divided at the moment, though. I didn’t realize they both had plaid as their primary outfits.  It’s kind of cute actually.

Alice and Eric don’t do a whole lot, if I’m being honest. They help out with consuming all those drinks, and they were useful for getting that last gold medal social event (a successful house party, hooray!). But they’re the same age as Adam, meaning they will be elders very soon. I had been thinking they could help with child rearing while the others work, but then I remembered there are no toddlers and kids aren’t that much trouble.

There’s no shortage of drinks in this household. At all. Also, even with inspired boosting his skill gain, I feel like Adam’s really having a hard time raising this skill as quickly as the others. He spends hours in a day mixing and it’s still such slow going. He’s been drinking lots of inspired potions to try to help, but jeepers I’m worried about the skill and the career.

I’m also a bit worried about the friendship requirements. He needs 6 good friends outside of this household (maybe – there’s some debate going on surrounding that at the moment) and right now he has friends, but no good friends and no one in the running to become his best friend. I am nervous about the friendship.

Also, he’s been being worked to the bone since I built him a new house – I think he’s only slept a few nights. I haven’t given him never weary, because I’m an idiot saving some of those more powerful aspiration rewards for future generations. Also, Adam’s going to be around forever – having him never sleep will probably make me bored of him far sooner than necessary. In the meantime, it’s sleep-replacement potions for him, which isn’t always the best strategy.

I am a cruel watcher.

I was incredibly annoyed when he didn’t nab this promotion, though considering his needs I probably shouldn’t have been too surprised. The trouble was, he now had two days off which means we’re stalled on the career front for a while.

In those next two days, a couple of things happened. Neveah made another visit.

Adam was able to have a chat with her, and it was just like old times. Almost.

And then things got serious. There was a day, I think it was a Tuesday, where Adam managed to complete four requirements towards immortality. I was apparently so excited that I didn't take photos.

He maxed the cooking skill. He maxed the gourmet cooking skill. He completed the Master Chef aspiration, and he successfully threw a gold medal House party, for a total of 5 Gold Medal social events. House parties have a handful of romantic requirements, such as have sims flirt or have sims kiss, so Eric and Alice were of use there, too. I figure the more controllable sims you have, the easier parties are to succeed at.

At the end of that day, this is where I found the poor guy – exhausted. I can’t say that I blame him.
And that brings us up to speed as to where the Harsher family is now.

Before he can eat Ambrosia, Adam still needs to:

-   Max 1 Career (currently at level 7 of the Mixology Career).
-   Max 1 Skill (currently at level 7 of the Mixology Skill).
-   Have 6 Good, non-ghosty friends outside of the household(?), including a BFF.
-   Contribute 8 items to the family museum (probably meals or drinks at this point).
-   Additionally, Noah needs to grow a death flower so the Ambrosia can be prepared.

And he’s only a day or two away from elder. *bites nails*

Again, I’m sorry I’m not moving as quickly through this challenge as I could be, but time has been scarce and yesterday I had my wisdom teeth removed (I’ve spent more time asleep than awake in the last 24 hours - and have eaten more yogurt, chocolate mousse and apple puree than I care to consider since then. Also my face is swollen to twice its normal size and I'm still a bit groggy even 24 hours later).
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
Re: Whirligig's Immortal Dynasty - The Harsher Family - Updated Dec 7, 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
If I'm getting nervous for you I can't imagine how you are feeling! :o I know that you can do it.. he's a hard worker and you may be surprised how quickly those last few things come together. I too would be keeping the never weary. I also can get bored with a Sim pretty quickly..  ;)

Offline Margerita

• Immortal
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »
Best of luck! I really hope he makes it.
It is so upsetting when they don't, been there with that feeling.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 11:34:36 PM »
Chapter VI – Not Quite There

There is still so much work to be done. Adam has a few days off, so the first order of business is, of course, friend-making. The friends he had earlier in the game were game-generated adult townies who died around the same time Neveah died. So we start fresh with the new lot. I know the rules have been modified so Adam can be friends with sims in his household if he so desires, but I’m going for the original aim of having friends outside the household because, frankly, it’s generation one and I have no excuses.

This is Aubrey Herrick. Adam spends a good few hours socializing with her for about two days. At the end of the two days, he asks her to be his BFF. She agrees. One down, five to go.

I have finally found uses for Eric and Alice. Eric spends his days fixing everything that breaks (lots of things), and when nothing’s broken, he upgrades things. He has the glutton trait, so if I don’t keep him busy, he makes a beeline for the fridge despite having a full hunger bar and it drives me nuts.

Alice helps with the garden. I know I should have Noah doing nothing but for a while, to work towards his freelance botanist aspiration, and towards raising the skill so he can graft the death flowers, but there are too many plants and weeding and watering and spraying all of them for bugs each day is taking up time that we don’t necessarily have, so Alice can help.

Noah has joined the Astronaut career now, so in addition to raising that gardening skill, he’s spending time working out and raising logic, too. He’s not getting any younger either, and I fear I’m neglecting some of his ambrosia requirements in favour of his father’s at the moment, but as long as he’s slowly making progress in the background, I’m not too terribly concerned.

So this happened, which is great news. Only two more promotions to go. Problem is

An elder birthday is imminent.

And Adam is running out of time.

So the family museum is built next to the house, because that’s still a thing.

This is Katharine Kraft, and if Adam can become good friends with her before she decides to leave, then we have our six good friends. The others are Zoe Patel, Summer Holiday, Jaleesa Mumbach and Kiana Dobbins. Apparently Adam is a ladies man.

Success!

More time spent raising the Mixology skill.

And then we can get started on the museum items.

Generation 3 is imminent. Probably a bit soon, but I apparently like being busy.

Adam’s museum items were finished in about two days’ time. A huge thanks to Songsmith who unfortunately failed her challenge because the ghosts were eating her food, so she told us how to keep that from happening by placing the food on an ‘island’ on the second storey of the museum.

This could still happen, people.

I’m so proud of Adam that, for the first time in a while, I actually let him sleep rather than use a potion.

One more to go! Trouble is, it’s now Friday, and if Adam doesn’t get promoted on Sunday, he’s not going to live until Thursday to go to work again.

So he is put straight to work writing a bar guide.

So I love the auto-solve feature in TS4 – it makes for easy macro-managing of sims. Trouble is, I told Noah to fill his hunger need and he did this. (I’m honestly surprised it was Noah, not Eric, who attempted to break Adam’s museum contributions, but whatever. Apparently we need walls.

Adam hasn’t eaten Ambrosia yet, so it’s not game over. Make up another plate.

And we’re set. Also I replaced the railings/fences with walls with windows so fingers crossed that definitely won’t happen again.

Then this happened on the Saturday, thank you Noah. Happy Whirligig is happy and daring to hope.

This puts me at 25 pictures, so I shall be back shortly with another chapter. Will Adam make it? Things certainly seemed to all be coming together at the last minute.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
Re: Whirligig's Immortal Dynasty - The Harsher Family - Updated Dec 13, 2014
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »
Chapter VII – It Just Wasn’t Meant to Be

That evening, Olivia is sent home from work early on account of being in labor. Gen 3, Gen 3, Gen 3! I’m hoping for a girl, as I have had a plethora of boys born across a number of games.

Nooboo!

Aaand the Nooboo is another boy. In keeping with the unintentional Genesis theme, I name him Isaac.

On Sunday, Adam doesn’t have nearly as much time left as I would like him to have.

And that performance meter isn’t nearly as high as I would like it to be.

But I have done everything in my power to ensure he gets that promotion tonight. That’s the only thing we need – everything else is done!

Oh, and Olivia ages up to adult today. Sorry, Liv, that kind of got forgotten amidst everything.

Grimmy, that’s cruel! You’re scaring me!

Off to work, feeling inspired and optimistic! You can do it Adam, I believe in you!

The hours that followed were among the tensest of my entire simming career.

But unfortunately, it just wasn’t meant to be.

As if to greet him and comfort him, Neveah was there waiting for him near her gravestone when he got home.

I could just hear her saying how sorry she was he didn’t make it, but that she loved him regardless.

And maybe it’s better this way. Now they can be together, and Adam doesn’t have to go on living without his wife.

The rest of the household seems to feel the heaviness and disappointment in the air. Noah takes out his anger and frustration on the punching bag upstairs. Olivia is sad.

And Isaac, born into a promise of greatness only to have it taken away, the poor little soul. Maybe one day he’ll get a second chance at prosperity?

For now, the only thing I have the heart to do is leave this family in peace. I don’t ever want to see Grimmy come for Adam, not in this world. So the family will remain in their save file in Oasis Springs until I decide on the next step.

I had been thinking of starting over with a new founder/family, but I’m also thinking of just going back to the tried and true Legacy Challenge for a while. I’ve been reading of the woes others are having with the town dying off once they get far enough in, and the Legacy Challenge, which permits the use of the “manage worlds” feature, doesn’t quite have the same problems.

Thank you to everyone who read and supported me in this first attempt. It was certainly a learning curve and, overall, I’m actually feeling a bit miffed. He could have gotten a promotion and eaten Ambrosia had it not been for all those days off I’m sure. But, them’s the breaks. (Also, all of this happened on Monday in real time – it’s taken me this long to get over the fact that I failed and have the heart to post about it).
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »
I'm so sorry that you were so close... What a heartbreak.  :(  I hope you do try again and I'll be looking out for your story if you do. I must admit that my heart sunk a bit when I read the title to this chapter... even then I read furiously hoping you were talking about something else.

All the best for your future TS4 adventures, whatever they may be.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 12:18:17 AM »
I did exactly the same thing. When I read your title I was hoping it was a red herring and that at the last moment he survived long enough to eat ambrosia.. So sorry Whirligig. Whatever/whichever way you decide to go, I'll be reading.

Offline Margerita

• Immortal
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 03:28:14 AM »
Ouch, what bad luck when it came to that early death!

Better luck next time if you do decide to have another go at it.

anything