Author Topic: Which Graphics Quality do you play with?  (Read 88029 times)

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
Which Graphics Quality do you play with?
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »
I want to know which graphics quality most people play The Sims 4 with.

I didn't even think about it until I started comparing the differing quality levels of various user screenshots.

I decided to just turn mine all the way up to "Ultra" to see how it would look and find out how much it would slow things down; so I did, and...it instantly crashed the game.

I had been playing at "Low Medium," by default, I assume, but now I'm trying out "Medium."

I'm interested to find out with which graphics qualities others are playing, and how much of an improvement it is. Also, is anyone able to play at "Ultra?"

Anyone care to share? Thanks  :)

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
Re: Which Graphics Quality do you play with?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
Ok, well, since I've switched to "Medium," my game has crashed 4 times.  >:(

Switching back to "Low Medium" for now.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:05:32 AM »
Well, I'm using "Ultra" setting for my game and I never had any crashed since I switch into Full-windowed Screen. So far I loved the quality of screenshots that I was taken. When I don't like the result I always play around with photoshop to make them look better. Just take a look for a comparison. Oh, I also using a lighting mod in my game.

Original

Modified

You can always catch a good screenshot if the timing is right. If you don't like what you see, well you can capture as many as you can until you can get the right one.
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 05:32:22 AM »
@arimau, beautiful screenshots! I love them. Tell me about this lighting mod. I have never used a mod, and, honestly, I'm afraid to. Anything that might cause me to crash and lose game play time scares me, but I am always struggling to provide enough lighting.

So, which mod do you use? Do you trust that it is safe and won't harm the game at all?

I'm now not sure that the crashing was related to the "Ultra" setting. My game also started created "auto save" game ever since the small update to the game a few days ago, and I suspect that is what is actually causing all the crashing. Unfortunately, it's crashing A LOT.  >:( My sims' items are also accumulating again. Time to do a major inventory purge.

I want to be able to play at Ultra settings. My computer is definitely advanced enough. I've got all the bells and whistles.

Oh, also, what is "full-windowed screen?"

Thanks!

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 06:18:56 AM »
Thank you, it took time to get one that I really want. There's lot of beautiful screenshots in forum folks stories. That's why I love to check them out lol

There's a thread about the mod, here. Well, there are two mods, but you can choose to your own liking. But, I'm using Shimrod101. It's safe, I guarantee it, most of folks in this forum using the mod and it's from a trusted site.

Hmm, I'm not a tech-savvy so I don't know but you can ask in the main forum or others here. I bet there's someone called crinrict, she might be able to help your problem. In my case, when I switch into Windowed Fullscreen I rarely had crash anymore. Sorry I wrote it wrong in the last message lol.

Well, I'm a visual person myself. So, here you go.

I hope that could explain what you want to know.
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »
I play on a laptop so I tried laptop mode once and though it did make performance better, the game looked awful.  I tried messing around with the settings and set some things to High, but my game lagged a lot. So for now I'm sticking to Medium. Playing on Windowed mode also helps keep the lag down without having to set graphics to the laptop setting.

Offline Ijzabela

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 11:02:09 AM »
I'm playing on an average laptop (not too fancy, definitely not one I would consider a "gaming laptop", but still meets the requirements for Sims 4 many times over) and I'm using as high settings as possible without any problems. The only things I have on low are the reflections and visual effects but I don't know if it really makes a difference. Just like ManiSims, I started playing with laptop mode on and it was really depressing so don't do that! I also always play in windowed mode or windowed fullscreen. Maybe it's of importance to note that I don't play with any mods or anything and my game has never crashed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
I play on the following settings on laptop:

Display Type: Fullscreen
Resolution: 1,680x945
Vertical Synch: ON
Sims: Very High
Objects: High
Lighting: High
Reflections: High
Visual Effects: High
Edge Smoothing: Off
3D Scene Resolution: High
View Distance: High
Uncompressed Sim Texture: ON
Post Processing Effects: ON

But I use a fan for my laptop when playing because if it gets too hot, I see the blue screen of death!

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
I need to get a fan for my laptop, I know it gets really heated up even though it's not too old... That probably has something to do with my settings having to be relatively low. I just checked and my game works well with these but I think anything higher will cause a bit of lag:
Display Type: Windowed
Resolution: 1584x820
Vertical Sync: Off
Sims: High
Objects: Medium
Reflections: Low
Visual Effects: Medium
Edge Smoothing: Low
3D Screen Resolution: High
View Distance: High
Uncompressed Sim Texture: On
Post Processing Effects: On

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
But I use a fan for my laptop when playing because if it gets too hot, I see the blue screen of death!

I need to get a fan for my laptop too. It gets so hot that I have to put something between the side of it and my mouse hand so my hand doesn't burn. It's a very good laptop, but it has still shut off twice during the game because of getting too hot. No "blue screen" for me though. It must have a fail safe mechanism of some sort. I just have to let it cool down then turn it back on.

What kind of fan do you use?

Offline Kamxam

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
2560x1600 atm on my PC. Tried 4k resolution but it wouldn't let me use it so had to dial it back to what i have now. Have pretty much all settings as high as possible. (I have a REALLY good setup) 
Haven't really tried SLI yet, but may later.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
What kind of fan do you use?

I use Cooling Master NotePal L1. I don't think it's allowed to post a link here to that site, but you can easily google Cooling Master. Look under 'Products: Mobile/Laptops & Ultrabooks' then scroll down to 'Cooling' section.

My laptop's fan is actually smaller than the laptop itself because we couldn't find a fan that can fit with 19inches diameter. But it still works wonders regardless. I definitely recommend getting a fan especially if you have a gaming laptop, and even if it isn't, it's still a great accessory to have when you're playing Sims for long hours at a time.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »
@Indira, thank you! Mine is a gaming laptop and it is also 19" in diameter.

One more question, how loud is the fan? My second laptop  has one built in, but it isn't that efficient, and it's annoyingly loud.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »
@Indira, thank you! Mine is a gaming laptop and it is also 19" in diameter.

One more question, how loud is the fan? My second laptop  has one built in, but it isn't that efficient, and it's annoyingly loud.

The one I'm using is too quiet. On odd times, I would lift my laptop and feel underneath if the fan is working, and it is. But it's just too quiet, lol.

I also took out my laptop's battery. The heat lessens a lot. But I really save often in case there's a brown out.

Offline armstras06

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »

Thank you, it took time to get one that I really want. There's lot of beautiful screenshots in forum folks stories. That's why I love to check them out lol

There's a thread about the mod, here. Well, there are two mods, but you can choose to your own liking. But, I'm using Shimrod101. It's safe, I guarantee it, most of folks in this forum using the mod and it's from a trusted site.

Hmm, I'm not a tech-savvy so I don't know but you can ask in the main forum or others here. I bet there's someone called crinrict, she might be able to help your problem. In my case, when I switch into Windowed Fullscreen I rarely had crash anymore. Sorry I wrote it wrong in the last message lol.

Well, I'm a visual person myself. So, here you go.

I hope that could explain what you want to know.

Im glad you posted this picture, i hadn't even paid attention to the settings much. Maybe this is what is causing mine to crash after 10 mine.

anything