Author Topic: Mouse only play?  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Fysh

• Llama Wrangler
Mouse only play?
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
I am interested to know if this game can be played now with just a mouse or if using a keyboard is essential? The reason I need to know is that I can no longer use a keyboard because of disability - everything I do is through the mouse - I write using either the on-screen keyboard or for long stuff like this, voice recognition.

I was able to play and enjoy The Sims 3. In that game I really liked the ability to control the camera via the controls in the bottom left of the screen. I hear TS4 has much different camera controls, and I have some concerns it may make the game unplayable for me...

So in brief:

Can the camera be controlled only using a mouse?

Can the game be paused/unpaused/speeded up/down using just a mouse?

In TS3 there were some elements I was not able to access. I think these were related mainly to photography and capturing screen images for painting. Does TS4 have many elements like this for which a keyboard is essential?

Anyway, I think you get the gist of my question! I would really appreciate any comments on this topic that can help me make an informed decision.

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
Re: Mouse only play?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »
I'm new into this franchise but I'd glad to help you with my experience:

Can the camera be controlled only using a mouse?

Yes, you can! There’s option like that just look at the upper right corner icons and click the specific icons.

Can the game be paused/unpaused/speeded up/down using just a mouse?
Yep.

In TS3 there were some elements I was not able to access. I think these were related mainly to photography and capturing screen images for painting. Does TS4 have many elements like this for which a keyboard is essential?

I can't help you about TS3 things but no, keyboard is not essential until you want to entering specific name. There’s random dice available (as far I know, just correct me) but you can capture screen, video and manage memories and such just simply clicking, there are icons for that.

Hold on, I will go into the game and capture the images to make it clear :)
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Fysh

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
Thanks for the swift reply. It all sounds pretty positive... ;)

keyboard is not essential until you want to entering specific name.

For stuff like entering names I would usually go into windowed mode to access the on-screen keyboard, or just use random if I'm not too bothered.

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:05:42 AM »
You're welcome. It just happen by chance that I still online, so why not :)

This is for the overall looks.

This is possibly for what you're looking for:

You can easily zoom out, zoom in even drag circle thing with your mouse to zoom in/out. You also can rotate with your mouse too and do screenshot and video capturing with simply a click :) Hope that will help you.
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Offline Blucher

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
Turn on the Sims 3 controls setting in the game options menu.  Much easier to get used to imo, esp. if you are familiar with the Sims 3 controls.

Zoom in/out with the mouse scroll wheel.
Adjust tilt with the mouse wheel button (press and hold, then move).
Pan with the right mouse button (press and hold, then move).
Click and hold, then move the mouse side to side to change the facing of objects.

It's not bad at all, I think.

I use keyboard shortcuts extensively, but I can imagine getting by without them.  I think i would only really miss being able to quickly change the wall visibility (none, cutaway, full), the current level view (ground floor, second storey, etc.), and the speed settings.  But that's only because I actually hate having to click the mouse more than necessary.