Author Topic: Room sizes from blueprints  (Read 14741 times)

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Room sizes from blueprints
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »
Good morning! In Sims 3, I used online blueprints a lot for ideas to build my houses. I used "roughly" half of the dimensions given on the plan. Are the sizes of the wall parts in Sims 4 the same as they were in Sims 3? In other words, will my rooms be the same size approximately?

Offline Indira

• Occult
Re: Room sizes from blueprints
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »
I almost always build from real house plans.  My general rule of thumb on dimensions is divide by 3 and round up.  So on a house plan, a 12 x 12 room would be 4 x 4 in Sims.  And a 14 x 16 I'd round up to 5 x 6.  Sometimes some minor adjusts are needed but that's my general rule.  I like having an actual houseplan to work from as it usually gives me ideas for exterior decorating and window type/placement.
This is a quote by Dellena.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,21430.0.html

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »
Thank you so much! Just what I needed :)

Offline AnnDruvez

• I have a real life build project....
  • Townie
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
Scaling for items in the Sims 3 was... odd. A dining chair is usually around a foot and a half wide in real life. An overstuffed chair can be three feet or more. Yet, in the Sims 3, they both took up the same space (1 square). I usually assumed a six foot bookcase was as wide as a single square window in real life. (As that's how they work in my home.) So, I used to just divide by 2.

As for a 12X12 sizing down to 4X4? Well, that worked for some rooms, but it didn't work for my Sims 3 bedrooms. In that space, you could fit a double bed. In real life, you could fit a double bed, bookcase, dresser, and a few other things if you felt like crowding.

I will be getting the Sims 4 this weekend (I hope) and I'll let you know what I decide on for scale. It greatly depends on how the pathing works. (i.e. Can sims take advantage of the half tile area where a piece of furniture isn't?)
A 1920s era house needing heat, AC, new floors, new drywall on the walls and ceilings, new bathroom fixtures, new kitchen cabinets, new water heaters.... The roof is sound, but why didn't I just buy an empty lot?

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »
I will be getting the Sims 4 this weekend (I hope) and I'll let you know what I decide on for scale. It greatly depends on how the pathing works. (i.e. Can sims take advantage of the half tile area where a piece of furniture isn't?)

I've noticed that a bed can be closer to the wall and the sims can still get in from that side, in fact they can shimmy across the bed to get to the other side too.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline AnnDruvez

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »
I've noticed that a bed can be closer to the wall and the sims can still get in from that side, in fact they can shimmy across the bed to get to the other side too.

Really? Excellent! Um... Can they shimmy across if there's already someone in? (i.e. Climb over the husband to get to the available spot?) Or will the husband automatically scoot to the opposite wall when getting in, even if she's not climbing in yet? Can they climb out over whoever is on the bed, too? Or will it force both to wake up just because one needs to?
A 1920s era house needing heat, AC, new floors, new drywall on the walls and ceilings, new bathroom fixtures, new kitchen cabinets, new water heaters.... The roof is sound, but why didn't I just buy an empty lot?

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »
I'm not sure how it works when there are two sims. I found it when testing a house before sharing. I always have my sim try out every chair and bed etc. to make sure there are no problems. My sim was napping on a double bed and I told her to nap on the other side. Instead of getting up and walking around to the other side, she just wriggled across.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AnnDruvez

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »
I'm not sure how it works when there are two sims. I found it when testing a house before sharing. I always have my sim try out every chair and bed etc. to make sure there are no problems. My sim was napping on a double bed and I told her to nap on the other side. Instead of getting up and walking around to the other side, she just wriggled across.

I'll have to test it when I get the game. I really want to know.