Author Topic: Game refusing to save  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Game refusing to save
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:22:33 AM »
I forgot to save my legacy game, (I've been playing for about three hours) and now when I 'save' or 'save as' I get a message saying unable to save/save error.

Any ideas how to get this game to save? I really don't want to have to replay my lagacy for the third time.  :-\
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Dellena

Re: Game refusing to save
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:54:35 AM »
Try taking them to another lot and saving.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply Dellena, game crashed, again, before I could do that. Third crash in this save game file.  :(

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
Are you playing in window mode?  Seems like less crash in window mode for a lot of people.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »
Yeah, I am in windowed mode. I've played about 130 hours and only since starting a legacy file have I had any problems, go figure. Everything's the same as before, I'm patched, my drivers are the latest update available etc... I've replayed my legacy so I'm back where I was before the crash and I'm saving a lot.

Dellena

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 02:41:22 AM »
What about your sim's inventory?  Do you have a lot in inventory?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:31 AM »
I have hardly anything in their personal inventory but since its my legacy challenge save I have all the career unlockables in the family inventory as it's part of the scoring system. I've had more items per count in an individuals inventory in another game and I had no crashes, so I just can't figure out why this keeps happening.
It's really hard to keep track of everything for the legacy though as every time it crashes, I have to go back through all the scoring and items etc  :-\
Strange thing is that all my screen shots are still there after the crashes, even the third crash which was the one where I lost about three hours of play. I would have thought that if all the saved information in the save file was gone that the screen shots would go to. I dunno, I'm not very techy.  ::)

I'm on my fourth crash now but luckily I'd just saved so I only lost about two mins of play.

The only thing that is different is that I have aging on for played/unplayed and townies obviously, and in all my other games I had aging off for everyone, but surely that can't be causing the crashes and refusing to saves etc??

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:32:40 AM »
I have aging on for everything and I've had very few crashes (I think only a couple).  Screenshots are saved separately from save games.  They're just images - nothing else tied to them until you turn them into a memory and I don't know how those are saved.

As a test, I would start a new game over from the beginning, doing everything you're doing now and see if there's any change in the crashing.  If no change then it should rule out a corrupted save.  If you have less or no crashes, then I think there's something wrong with that save you're working with on the legacy.

I'm not doing a legacy but I'm currently playing a 7 sim household (soon to be 8) with aging on for everyone.  I have career items related to my two parents.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »
I'd think family inventory would be no different that regular inventory. Is it necessary to keep the items for scoring or can you place or sell them and just keep a record? I might suggest making an alternate save of the same family delete the items and play for a bit to see if you dont have any more crashes. Either way you can go back to the old save and either deal with what you need to or at least know its not that causing the issues.

You could also see if just deleting your cache helps as it may just be buggy for some reason and fix itself when regenerated
http://simscommunity.net/2014/09/13/sims-4-tutorial-deleting-cache-files/

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »
@ Dellena, that makes sense re: screen shots. I'm so, so hoping I don't have to start my legacy over...  :-[

@ justproud2b, the items need to be in your inventory to count for scoring but I hadn't thought about deleting the cache, which is something I used to do regularly in TS3, good link, thanks. I've made a new save of my legacy file and have emptied the inventory so I guess we'll know soon enough if that's the cause. If it is I'm just going to forfeit those points, I'm too invested in those little digital people to give up now.

Thanks guys.  :)

Dellena

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 07:06:33 AM »
If storing that inventory is the cause, could you build, basically, a storage shed and place everything in it so you don't loose the points.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:01 AM »
Yeah, I guess I'll have to run it past Pinstar and see what he says. It certainly would be easier. At the moment I have two of every career reward item that I've unlocked: one in my house and one in my inventory re: Pinstar's scoring rules. So I can't see much of a difference if the inventory became a door-less room.
Still, I'll keep playing the empty inventory save and see what happens.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 07:15:46 AM »
I say skip asking him a bug or issue is out of your control so I don't think you should be "penalized" for finding a solution.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:22:13 AM »
I'm such a rule follower, lol. I'm also going to sell all the items in my inventory in my legacy file and then buy them back as maybe it might be a bugged item. I'm on a mission to solve it, I've got a 'things to try list'  ::)

Dellena

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »
If you determine that the problem is excessive items in the family inventory, then certainly let him know so he can adjust the rules where necessary due to game 'challenges' at the moment.

anything