Author Topic: Writing Guide  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Writing Guide
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
The Writing Guide is published. I had to note several bugs in this one, so look forward to editing that out. Hopefully this can help someone avoid issues with getting the Book of Life. Unfortunately, if you don't get Writer's Block early, you should cheat. No one will look down on you, because it's buggy - some get it, some don't. It should NOT be an Aspiration requirement, or else they should guarantee it's something that happens to Sims.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
Re: Writing Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:04 AM »
My sim never got writer's block that I could see, but after a time the milestone completed anyway - on two separate occasions. I just kept my sim writing. Because she was an outdoorsy type, the first time I put her desk outside so she didn't get cooped up, and wrote with no inspiration. The second time she was both inspired and very inspired, and still managed, after a few books, to pop the milestone.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
The last time I successfully "beat writer's block," I think I figured something out. It might actually be about being in a good enough mood or about having the right emotion to keep writing, rather than being in such a bad mood that you have to stop.

My sim started practicing writing while Very Inspired and beat after a few hours, she beat writer's block, never having a bad emotion, also being new to the skill. It seems I may have been thinking about this objective from the wrong perspective. It might just be about getting your sim into the right mood to write, which would make sense, if the purpose of the start of this aspiration is to help teach the player about utilizing emotional states.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:56:38 AM »
The last time I successfully "beat writer's block," I think I figured something out. It might actually be about being in a good enough mood or about having the right emotion to keep writing, rather than being in such a bad mood that you have to stop.

My sim started practicing writing while Very Inspired and beat after a few hours, she beat writer's block, never having a bad emotion, also being new to the skill. It seems I may have been thinking about this objective from the wrong perspective. It might just be about getting your sim into the right mood to write, which would make sense, if the purpose of the start of this aspiration is to help teach the player about utilizing emotional states.
Did you have the reward that makes them never gets tense?  Writer's block is a tense emotion, and Sims won't get the moodlet if they have the reward preventing it.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:21:39 AM »
Hearing people have overcome writer's block this easily or seen it not even come up makes me want to make a save and try to figure out what's going on. I'm getting Piano knocked out today, but will definitely explore this soon so that I can get some concrete info on the Guide.

Getting in a good mood to do it for one long stretch is what I originally recommended, but see that I didn't get that across on the page. I just say "for a long stretch" but don't specify how. I think that's the only way to give yourself a good shot of it coming up. Anyway, it might autocomplete at this point for all I know. Getting to a higher level and avoiding writer's block all together should be "beating writer's block" in my opinion.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »
I have seen it accomplished both ways, the way I mentioned above, and I've also seen the Tense emotion orange block with the graphic for writer's block come up, then my sim stopped writing and took a bath. As she took a bath, little upward-pointing  yellow arrows within the writer's block block (at bottom left) moved upwards until the block faded away, and then she had officially overcome writer's block.

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »
Any updates on Writers Block?  I'm going to be making a Writer sim in my Dynasty soon, and I've been trying to figure this thing out. 

I have another Sim (non-dynasty) in the household.  I've had him write 3-4 books a day (only stopping when his needs prevented him from working) and have yet to get this aspiration goal after a week.  Now my Sim is level 5 writing, and I don't think I can even get this aspiration finished anymore. 

It would suck to have to skip this aspiration on my dynasty sim in favor of a more generic one just because I get to the point where I can't complete it at all.
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
I just did a test to figure this out. Writer's block appearing is random, but seems to appear when you've written for long stretches. When I wrote only 1.5 Children's books at level 1, I got the Writer's Block Moodlet. That was too easy and didn't teach me much of anything.

I wanted to see what it would be like for a level 10 writer, so I reloaded and cheated my Sim straight to level 10 writing. She wrote 3 books then practiced writing for a bit and got the Moodlet. It did appear with Practice Writing. I didn't experience this Moodlet at any point at this level before, so think that only by doing a LOT of writing at high level will it pop up. Maybe it won't even come up when you're level 10 if you've already had it before. I didn't use testingcheats, so it was something doable for any player. I would try to get as much Writing in as possible within a 24h period to make this happen if you're already higher level, and perhaps use Practice Writing to minimize downtime and force them to stress a bit.

I'm doing another test  to see if I can get something consistent - like how many hours of practice writing it typically takes. I'll edit in my results to try and help you.

Edit: OK. Test 2 confirmed something for the Guide. Practice writing is the way to go. I had two Sims, one level 10 the other 5. I figured I'd have the 10 do Practice Writing while the 5 did Children's Books. The level 10 Sim got Writer's Block after 5 hours of Practice Writing 2x in a row, while the other Sim was on his 4th Children's Book and about 14 hours in. Practice Writing is far more stressful, as it doesn't stop if the Sim's needs are up to the task. Go Practice Writing as long as you can and let us know the results!