Author Topic: I need some tips/suggestions on my build  (Read 6302 times)

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
I need some tips/suggestions on my build
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
As the topic states hoping to get some tips or suggestions for my build. I know its becoming very black and white decorative I even put down the ying/yang rug since i'm sarcastic! I'm still fairly new to decorating/building I think this is my like 3rd house. Any advice is greatly appreciated and don't worry I can take criticism :D

Front Views

Downward Shot of 1st level floor plan

Entry way

Playroom

Living Room/Kitchen/Dining/Siting Area

Danielle Haydis

Re: I need some tips/suggestions on my build
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
Here's what I'd suggest without changing the floor plan much:

Since you're using white furniture, change the floor color to something darker but not black.
Add a rug in your entry way, something white.
Recolor your counters and cabinets to match the black and white color scheme.
Move the dining table closer to the kitchen so that it's in the center of it's "space". Change the ceiling light to something a bit more eye-catching since your ceiling is high. And add a centerpiece to that table.
Move your sofa backwards a bit so that it won't touch the edge of the rug. Holding alt while holding an object allows for free placement (With Sims 3 controls).
Add an end table between the sofa and loveseat. Something black. Add a lamp or some kind of decoration on top of it.
Place a painting above the desk. Something with greens and blues.
I'd remove the desk altogether but it's fine where it is if you want to keep it.

Sorry if this seems like a lot but I really like decorating in Sims. I hope I don't come across as pushy. Feel free to follow or ignore any of these.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »
Sorry if this seems like a lot but I really like decorating in Sims. I hope I don't come across as pushy. Feel free to follow or ignore any of these.

I appreciate it! The hardest part for me in Sim is decorating when playing in a house in Sims I like it to lived in but think some people over do it on the stuff inside so I appreciate the ideas a lot and will try them out. Also by a lot I mean sometimes I swear people think every clutter item needs to be in game and any open space is bad. I've deleted clutter in some houses in Sims 3 and dropped the price of a house by a good 50k lol

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
I really like clean, uncluttered spaces. After all as you play with your sim/family you end up having to buy items that soon fill up any empty space anyway!
I love the shape of your house, it's interesting to look at with the balconies and roof line. I also really like the entrance way, a great idea to have the coat/shoe area.
The only thing I'd suggest is to centre your dining room table to the two windows to the right (in the down shot) and move one couch back  and the other one that backs onto the table forward so the rug sits in the middle perfectly between the tv and 2 couches. Maybe add an occasional square table at the meeting corner of the couches with a lamp on it.
Small details that make no playing difference just visual harmony!
Are you going to put your house on the exchange? Hope so!  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
I agree with Playalot . I love the shape and style of your house . Great floor plan as well . You just need a few minor tweaks and it will look great without a lot of clutter .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »
Your house looks good with it's paint job and design. I can't really give tips on decorating as I consider it as something that has to do with one's own desires and preferences. Whenever I decorate any one of my homes that I designed from scratch, I go with what I feel is right if I were a Sim living in it.

I like playing with paint on the ground, and plants and simple gardens. Most garden's I have are wild ones. A few daisies here and there, some grass and plenty of dirt/outdoor paints. Around your base or foundation, paint some dirt, add some rocks or pebbles. Add trees for background and paint mixtures of different dirt colours underneath.

**I wish there is a rocking chair for that porch!  ;D**

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:01:32 AM »
Thanks all I'm really appreciating all the comments and suggestions. I do plan on uploading this eventually once I am happy with it :D I hope to get to the point where I can do more builds cause I am having a lot of fun with it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:04:59 AM »
Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
I like playing with paint on the ground, and plants and simple gardens. Most garden's I have are wild ones. A few daisies here and there, some grass and plenty of dirt/outdoor paints. Around your base or foundation, paint some dirt, add some rocks or pebbles. Add trees for background and paint mixtures of different dirt colours underneath.

I went ahead and added some things outside to give it more character. Making the ground dirtier was way more fun than I thought it would be! I figured a simple exterior would compliment a simple interior.

The only thing I'd suggest is to centre your dining room table to the two windows to the right (in the down shot) and move one couch back  and the other one that backs onto the table forward so the rug sits in the middle perfectly between the tv and 2 couches. Maybe add an occasional square table at the meeting corner of the couches with a lamp on it.
Since you're using white furniture, change the floor color to something darker but not black.
Add a rug in your entry way, something white.
Recolor your counters and cabinets to match the black and white color scheme.
Move the dining table closer to the kitchen so that it's in the center of it's "space". Change the ceiling light to something a bit more eye-catching since your ceiling is high. And add a centerpiece to that table.
Move your sofa backwards a bit so that it won't touch the edge of the rug. Holding alt while holding an object allows for free placement (With Sims 3 controls).
Add an end table between the sofa and loveseat. Something black. Add a lamp or some kind of decoration on top of it.
Place a painting above the desk. Something with greens and blues.
I'd remove the desk altogether but it's fine where it is if you want to keep it.

I ended up taking a lot of this advice. I ended up moving the desk upstairs but that was to make room for a fireplace (no idea why I chose to have one). I then decided to add some plants as suggested and throw in a pop of red in each area to unify them but to also break up the black and white.

Updated downward view

Here are some shots of upstairs as well as I decorated it. Any suggestions on upstairs?

Downward view of upstairs

Random angles to try and cover all of it

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 06:25:09 AM »
Wow , it looks great ! Love your kitchen and the fireplace also added to the living room . I also love the touch of red . Great job outside as well . Overall you did a fantastic job .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 06:38:48 AM »
Wow , it looks great ! Love your kitchen and the fireplace also added to the living room . I also love the touch of red . Great job outside as well . Overall you did a fantastic job .  :)

Thanks that means a lot :D

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »
Well, the fireplace is for resale value of course! I watch way to much HGTV. I love your house. I haven't purchased S4 yet, but I would download this if it was on the gallery when I do buy it.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »
Well, the fireplace is for resale value of course! I watch way to much HGTV. I love your house. I haven't purchased S4 yet, but I would download this if it was on the gallery when I do buy it.

Thanks so much, since you watch too much HGTV I'll say "Good segue to what I came to post".  The reason I came to post was to say thanks to all who encouraged me and gave tips and advice I decided to go ahead and place it on the gallery and swap and shop. Link here :)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »
I just wanted to say how great your house is looking, just fab. Can I steal your cloakroom/wardrobe idea in your foyer? I really love it  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
I just wanted to say how great your house is looking, just fab. Can I steal your cloakroom/wardrobe idea in your foyer? I really love it  :)

Thanks for comment! You most definitely can use anything! What's the point in sharing if we can't inspire each other and learn from each others random ideas :)

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Gorgeous home, will you put it on the gallery?