Author Topic: Building odd shaped room issues  (Read 8893 times)

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
Building odd shaped room issues
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:18:57 AM »
Basically what I have done is use an octagonal room but extended by adding/removing walls etc, so now it is an odd shaped room. The problem is when I try to move the room the game is treating it like two rooms (for example if I want to rotate the room it just does the octagonal room or the additional walls, same with trying the move the whole room to a different place on my lot).

Is there a way to get the game to recognise the whole room as just one room?

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Building odd shaped room issues
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:17:56 AM »
Is the new room completely closed in or is there a piece of wall missing? I just tried making an octagonal room and added bits of wall here and there and removing other walls and the game recognises it as a room and I can move it and rotate it. Could you possibly show a sreenshot of the house/room?

**edit** Just did some further playing with some really crazy additions and I had the same problem, but I think I may know how to "fix" it, but it's a little long winded and it would help if I knew the actual shappe of your room .
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »
Hi Twinmum, thanks for the response but I eventually managed to work it out and it is embarrassingly easy. Once all the walls are placed etc just delete the yellow wall blueprint of the octagonal room and it recognises it as a complete room, weird additions included.

I thought it would delete the whole room which is why I didn't try that solution in the first place, doh.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »
Glad you figured it out. Sounds a bit easier than the work around I figured out lol.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:46:38 AM »
Before that I even deleted all the walls in the hope it would get rid of the octagonal blueprint that way - it didn't FYI...

Thanks again  ;D

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »
Hi Twinmum, thanks for the response but I eventually managed to work it out and it is embarrassingly easy. Once all the walls are placed etc just delete the yellow wall blueprint of the octagonal room and it recognises it as a complete room, weird additions included.

I thought it would delete the whole room which is why I didn't try that solution in the first place, doh.

Your game play is very different from mine. Having an undo option causes me to be very careless and "oooh what's that do!" Lol most times that's my downfall too. If you get time I would love to see what yellow thing your talking about only one I know of is the one to add a ceiling but I wasn't aware your could delete just that or even how you would try.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:57:26 AM »
Justproud2b, this is odd but I've tried to replicate that situation for a screenshot and I can't figure it out. As soon as I add different walls and delete as appropriate, it automatically recognises it as a complete room.

Now I'm not sure what I did different in the first place?! Ha ha.

Edited to say: now I have replicated the situation... And can't figure out how I resolved it in the first place.

I'll see if I can get a screenshot...

Edit: Nope I can't work out how to take a screenshot sorry. This is so frustrating, I managed to figure it out last time and now nothing I do works. If anyone has experienced this problem and worked out how to fix it that would be much appreciated!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wkoziol

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 08:24:29 PM »
I was wondering did you put up the octagon room first and then started to furnish the room and then you decided to add a foundation after words.  If this is the case then I had a similar problem cause when I tried doing it to mine the foundation was leaving a hole.  If this is what you did I had the problem as well but from the sounds of it not as extreme as yours.  If you go to the post I started "The Foundation Glitch.....I think" I sent pics.  I did a house where I had to sections at an angle.  When I tried doing the foundation after I furnished most of the area it was leaving a hole there.  Instead of tearing everything down I just added a wall to cover up the hole cause I know the sims are smart but NOT that smart so I didn't want to take a chance of one falling in by mistake.  I have pics to see what the house looks like and the angle I think is pretty extreme.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 04:35:23 AM »
Hi Wkoziol,

The first time I built the room I had started to decorate it and then added additional walls etc. The second time I tried to replicate the issue for testing purposes, I didn't add any decorations until later.

It wasn't until I added quite a few different walls etc that the problem arose again and I could not work out how I managed to fix the issue in the first place.

The room/s were all on the ground floor.

I tried everything I could think of to get the room recognised as one room: deleted all walls and rebuilt them separately (lead to them all being recognised as individual walls and not a room at all), not decorating it, decorating it etc etc. Nothing worked for me. Luckily I had already managed to blindly solve the problem in the first instance so the second room was just out of curiosity (and to hopefully help any one else if they got the issue).

Offline wkoziol

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:23:01 AM »
Hi Wkoziol,

The first time I built the room I had started to decorate it and then added additional walls etc. The second time I tried to replicate the issue for testing purposes, I didn't add any decorations until later.

It wasn't until I added quite a few different walls etc that the problem arose again and I could not work out how I managed to fix the issue in the first place.

The room/s were all on the ground floor.

I tried everything I could think of to get the room recognised as one room: deleted all walls and rebuilt them separately (lead to them all being recognised as individual walls and not a room at all), not decorating it, decorating it etc etc. Nothing worked for me. Luckily I had already managed to blindly solve the problem in the first instance so the second room was just out of curiosity (and to hopefully help any one else if they got the issue).

Hiya right back!  :)

Ok its the ground floor but when you furnished the room(s) did you also raise the foundation at all?  With me the problem I had was I deleted some walls to get it the way I wanted, then I furnished the rooms, and then I decided to raise the foundation up that was when things were going wrong.  The raising of the foundation worked fine for the rest of the house accept the areas where I deleted out some walls.  As I write this I am now wondering if it could also be a bug using the presets and if you chip some here and there some how the game doesn't recognize that the shape is no longer that cause few panels are now missing.  Hmm......Now dang it all!!!  The S.P.C.A. is gonna be on my but again cause my curiosity has just killed another another cat.  :P

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »
Hey  :)

Nope I hadn't got as far as making foundations, I was just making my first room (kitchen) on a new lot. I liked the idea of an octagonal room but found in reality it didn't work with the furniture I wanted etc (I had added some decoration/furniture at this point) so added some walls and lengthened others. Then I wanted to move the room closer to the front of the lot, which is when I noticed the issue with the game not recognising it as one room.

I have to admit it's really niggling me as to how I managed to solve it in the first place because I sure couldn't work it out the second time!  >:(

Offline wkoziol

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »
Hey  :)

Nope I hadn't got as far as making foundations, I was just making my first room (kitchen) on a new lot. I liked the idea of an octagonal room but found in reality it didn't work with the furniture I wanted etc (I had added some decoration/furniture at this point) so added some walls and lengthened others. Then I wanted to move the room closer to the front of the lot, which is when I noticed the issue with the game not recognising it as one room.

I have to admit it's really niggling me as to how I managed to solve it in the first place because I sure couldn't work it out the second time!  >:(

Hey I seriously feel your pain.  I even tried recreating the same exact thing with the house that was giving me the problems but nothing.  Then I also tried for a good hour trying to recreate totally weird things like putting a prefab room inside another prefab room while the inside prefab room is bigger than the outside prefab room, decorate the inside prefab room with random stuff, give a texture to the outside, delete walls, then give it a foundation and so far nothing.  I think next I'm going to try raising the height of the walls and then delete a couple and then bring it back down to normal and add the ones that are missing and to see if that would do it.  Who knows but it might be leaving remains of something or other that we just can't see.  I'll fool around with it some more but dag nab it I'm actually getting into the game play more with the Sims 4 whereas with the Sims 3 I mostly did it for the building.  Also, another thing is we just gotta remind ourselves to be patient cause this game has been out for almost two weeks now.  The only other suggestion is in about a month try google and putting in a search Sims 4 building glitches or bugs.  You could try it now but I think right now everybody is in the same boat as we are.   :)

Offline wkoziol

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
Is the new room completely closed in or is there a piece of wall missing? I just tried making an octagonal room and added bits of wall here and there and removing other walls and the game recognises it as a room and I can move it and rotate it. Could you possibly show a sreenshot of the house/room?

**edit** Just did some further playing with some really crazy additions and I had the same problem, but I think I may know how to "fix" it, but it's a little long winded and it would help if I knew the actual shappe of your room .

Can you take step by step pics of how you created the problem Twinmum and then post it here explaining briefly how you did it.  Cause I'm really curious myself.

anything