Author Topic: Where's the ceiling  (Read 10730 times)

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Where's the ceiling
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »
I feel this has come up before, but I can't seem to find it.
I'm building a loft and so half of the upper floor is open to the area below. I had to make that area a separate "room" so that I could remove the floor. Everything seemed to be fine until it came time to take some photos. When I look up at the ceiling from the bedroom area, the ceiling in that part of the room is visible, but over the area that is open, I could see the sky, there was no ceiling. I thought i would be smart and use the deck tool over that part so there would be something there. The problem now though, is when I look up, that part of the ceiling is black and the bit over the bedroom is white.
Any ideas what I have missed? I'm hoping there is something I missed lol

This is looking down. You can see where the bedroom ends and the other 'room' starts

And this is looking up at the ceiling from the bed.. the black is not a good look. Actually, it's also black where there is no floor due to the stairs!

Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
Re: Where's the ceiling
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
I had a similar issue when I removed a floor. I used the create a room tool for the entire top floor then removed all the walls and it seemed to solve my problem.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
Select the room with the missing ceiling.  Hover your mouse near the top edge of one of the walls and a yellow glowing band around the top edge should show up.  Click it and Add Ceiling.

Offline Marishkah

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:35:43 PM »
Oh, there is a ceiling?  I didn't think there was in Sims 4 yet.  When go to take a screenie, it shows the sky lol

Dellena

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
I don't believe you can apply any floor tiles to the ceilings for different looks, but yes, there are ceilings.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
That seemed like a sound plan, but didn't really work. I made the open part a room and it immediately added a ceiling yay... then I removed the floor and the ceiling remained, still good! Then I removed the wall between the actual loft and the open part and the ceiling dissappeared  :(  I tried it the other way by removing the wall between them first, but that only resulted in the two becoming one room so I couldn't remove just the part of the floor in the open area. Once even one piece of wall is gone between the two sections, the ceiling dissappears where there is no floor plus I couldn't select the open part as a room, so I couldn't get the yellow line to add a ceiling. On the edge of the loft area, I have the glass fence (don't want my sims to sleepwalk off the edge into the room below lol), so in the end, I just added a piece across the gap where the stairs are and so it recognises it as a room and the ceiling stays. Not what I was hoping for, but it's a work around and the glass isn't too intrusive in looks.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »
That seemed like a sound plan, but didn't really work. I made the open part a room and it immediately added a ceiling yay... then I removed the floor and the ceiling remained, still good! Then I removed the wall between the actual loft and the open part and the ceiling dissappeared  :(  I tried it the other way by removing the wall between them first, but that only resulted in the two becoming one room so I couldn't remove just the part of the floor in the open area. Once even one piece of wall is gone between the two sections, the ceiling dissappears where there is no floor plus I couldn't select the open part as a room, so I couldn't get the yellow line to add a ceiling. On the edge of the loft area, I have the glass fence (don't want my sims to sleepwalk off the edge into the room below lol), so in the end, I just added a piece across the gap where the stairs are and so it recognises it as a room and the ceiling stays. Not what I was hoping for, but it's a work around and the glass isn't too intrusive in looks.

Mind if I ask for a screenshot of the final outcome? I've really gotten into building so I'd love to experiment with how this is done. I'm on disabled with insomnia so I have plenty of time to experiment lol

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:19:49 PM »
Mind if I ask for a screenshot of the final outcome? I've really gotten into building so I'd love to experiment with how this is done. I'm on disabled with insomnia so I have plenty of time to experiment lol

In the first shot in my original post, you can see the way I have it set up (loft and open section over room below) I have just exited the game as I'm on my way out, so can't take any more shots for a while, but will come back here when I get home.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:16:48 PM »
lol, this is crazy, somehow, something worked. Read right through to see what I did ( I just had this all typed up ready to post when I tried one more thing lol)

This is what I'm starting with, a simple single room downstairs and two rooms on the upper floor. At this point, there is a ceiling for both upper rooms and I can select each as a room. I can also delete the floor in one (which I'm about to do with the floor that is yellow)

In this one you can see how removing just on piece of wall changes everything. I took this pic in the wrong order and had to backtrack to remove the floor, but with or without the floor, the result is the same, the ceiling is now gone and I can't select the room on the left as a room now and so I don't get the option to add a ceiling.

If I choose to replace the wall with a fence (just grabbed one that was easy to see here) the reslt is better. The ceiling remains.

However, as soon as I remove the piece of fence over the stairwell, it's bye bye ceiling!

I had resigned myself to having this setup with the glass fence as that little piece over the stairs isn't too bad.

So, I'm not sure what triggered it, but while I was typing this reply, I realised that the picture that showed how once the piece of wall was gone, you couldn't select that area as a room, also still had the floor! I wondered if I'd be able to select the loft area as a room or if it would react the same. So I went back into the game and removed the piece of fence over the stairs only to have the ceiling remain!

Oddly though, the dark patch on the ceiling returns when there are windows in the open area. Strange, but I can live with that lol

Dellena

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:47:34 AM »
I think they have some issues with the fencing used internally.  I know it caused problems for me with the friezes.

anything