Author Topic: How do you build and maintain a decent price?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
How do you build and maintain a decent price?
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:45 PM »
I have no idea why but when I build I somehow always end up with these houses larger than needed and absurdly priced. It frustrates me cause I enjoy building but at the same time I can't even afford to have my sims live in the homes I make. I know that I can cheat and make the home free but I'd rather not. Basically I guess what I'm hoping for is some tips to use freebuild but try to keep within a decent budget and size.

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
Re: How do you build and maintain a decent price?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:50:24 PM »
Move your sim into the lot and use his money as a budget before you start building.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:59:15 PM »
When I'm building to a budget (ie a starter home) I often buy the basic furniture and plop that down on the lot and then build to accommodate what I have. That usually that works to try and keep to budget, but not always lol.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Dellena

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 03:08:58 AM »
Starter homes are definitely a challenge to stay within a certain budget.  Also keep in mind that with the improvements to pathing, you don't need to build quite so big.  I sometimes place the cheapest furniture I can find, not worrying about matching anything, until I have everything done.  Then I see what money I have left in the budget and I'll start upgrading and swapping furniture where I can.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:47:02 AM »
You can see the cheapo I built in the building/remodeling thread.  It was a chore but I really wanted a house even the poorest Sim could afford.  Like Twinmum, I place my furniture on the ground and then build the walls around the furniture, room by room.  In 3 you could have a bathroom that was 2x2 with just a shower and jon and the sink being the one in the kitchen.  In four you absolutely have to have it bigger because of the doors, so minimum 2x3.  So that's one square of wall more expensive.  I tend to build my kitchens pretty much the same shape, going for a U shape work area.  That sort of automatically helps me place at least one window and usually the small table and chairs, (no more than 2 for economy) will fit nicely within that space with enough room for Sims to walk around and sit.  This time I started with a kitchen, then added the bathroom, then the bedroom and tacked a small living room in front of the bedroom.  When I was done it was a little more than $9K in cost including the 40x30 lot.  It's tight, but cozy, and easily upgraded.  Start with a standard box or rectangle, or even L shape and go from there.  You don't make it pretty if you want it cheap.  You add all the niceties later, like towel bars and paper holders and mirrors over dressers and curtains and all the chotchkes you want.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
Thanks for all the great tips! The "Feldmans" thank you haha. Here is their house that they could actually afford.

Now I actually think I have a good grasp and think I may go for the challenge of making starter homes and giving myself budgets.

Offline Variosities

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »
When I make a pre-build I don't worry about price until after I have everything I want. Then I go back and delete things I don't need at the start, including walls, doors, windows, etc. I only leave the roof and a minimum number of rooms. I usually delete the appliances as well. It's great to get points for fulfilling a "buy a stove" whim.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.